Chapter 13 (Abigail)

Story 1 (mama)

 

"Well, this is surprising."
 
"It is. It's been so long. What can I do for you?"
 
"You contacted me. You have something to tell me."
 
"Do I?" She fidgeted. She didn't want to tell this man anything. This man would try to hurt Luhan. And his friend. But her voice wouldn't stay inside her. "He's made friends with a very interesting boy. I don't understand him.."
 
"You don't understand a jar of jam."
 
"But he can do something." She continued. Not even hearing the insult. "Something like I was there but he was in a different place and my son was in another place. The clock was different too..."
 
"What in the hell are you talking about? Is he one of them? Is that what you're trying to say?"
 
"His name is Zitao. He's Kenneth's son."
 
"Oh. Now that's something useful. I'm going to tell you to do something, but you will forget it immediately."
 
*
 
"Mom. Were you talking to yourself?" Luhan chuckled breaking Abigail out of her thoughts. What had she been doing? Looking in the mirror, yes. But was she styling her hair? Or putting on her makeup? 
 
"Do we have jam? I want toast and jam suddenly."
 
Luhan kissed her on her hair. "Sure mom." He pulled her away from the mirror and out of the bedroom. "Tao came over again today." He added excitedly.
 
"Oh? Good. He's such a nice young man." They proceed to the kitchen where the other boy was sitting. Drinking from the big sized cup from a fast food chain. 
 
"Sweetie, that kind of food is bad for you." Abigail stated with a little smile. She stepped closer and gave Zitao a half hug. "How have you been? How's your family?"
 
"I'm ok. Dad's still so overprotective." He rolled his eyes. 
 
"It's how parents are." She laughed softly. "Especially parents of children so special." Her gaze went to Luhan and she his hair, pointedly. 
 
"We're adults now, mom. We have to learn how to take care of ourselves." He took a couple pieces of bread out of the bag and put them in the toaster. "You want one or two?" He asked. 
 
She had no idea what he was talking about. "Do I want what?"
 
"You said you wanted toast." His voice wavered. 
 
"Oh. Did I? Okay, just one I guess. I'm not really hungry." She wasn't hungry at all. Why did he suddenly just mention toast out of nowhere? "Zitao? You came." She looked down noticing the young man sitting at the table. "How's your family?"
 
*
 
She sat looking at her reflection in her dresser mirror. When had she gotten so old? It had been years since she'd started to age. Or had it been longer? She tried to remember what it was like before. When she and Nathaniel had been young and beautiful and vibrant. Almost like gods. At one point in time it was almost as if they were invincible. But the red force had made everyone weak. Including herself. No one could escape it's grasp. And since time had began again, everyone was getting closer to their inevitable fate. 
 
She focused on the woman that was now old and not her anymore in confusion. Who was she? Was she just like the old man she had seen earlier? What did they want with her? An answer to that question drifted into the hazy forefront of her memory where she could almost reach it. Along with a name.