Chapter 40 (Xiumin and Jonathan)

Story 1 (mama)

"I guess now we can properly talk." Jonathan spoke after the other three left the room. He looked at Minseok briefly before continuing. The young man would have no idea what they were talking about since he hadn't brought up the situation with him and Yixing yet. There was nothing stopping him, yet he just hadn't been able to. "I know you have something very important to show the boys. To all of us."


"When did he tell you? And why haven't you told your... Nephew yet? Yes, has that look of confusion. Were you instructed not to tell him?" Kenneth was making it clear who was the head of this household.But despite the questions in Minseok's mind about what the important thing was, he stayed silent. Hoping the two of them would reveal everything in the next few moments. 

"I was just told to find it. Make sure you haven't destroyed it yet." Not the entire truth but it would do for now. He only had to get the location. 


Kenneth scoffed. "If I had destroyed it, would we be here talking about any of this? All these powers and worries and possibly even us.. would we still be here? Do you know anything about it? Did he tell you what it is?" Kenneth was getting agitated. He leaned forward on the sofa he was sitting on and hissed out. "It's the reason and also the bane of our entire existence."


"Well at least let us use it. Or try to anyway. I know you and Arthur divided it and maybe with good reason, but we need to see what it can do." Jonathan asked in a pleading tone. He wasn't planning on taking no for an answer, but he would at least try to be nice about it to start. 


"We can't yet. We need the right people to open it. That's why I have to have my son back right now. My sons together will be the ones to awaken her fully." His eyes seemed a little crazy in Minseok's opinion. Like a fanatic. 


"So it's close? Like here at this place? You can get the other one to help Zitao open it." Jonathan suggested firmly. 


"No. It has to be Yifan. In Yifan's body. He will be the one to bring on the alignment." Kenneth protested frantically. He had changed in those few seconds from the confident man he had been. 


"You just want it to be Yifan. It doesn't have to be. Think of the 12. The entire group. And all of you and us. We've been on this planet just as long as you have." Jonathan suddenly burst out. It was the truth, but the realization also stunned him. He'd only recognized it as things he couldn't do. Systems he couldn't access. But it seemed it was more than that. Answers to his existence were being held from him. 


"It's the tree, right? Our half is.. here?" Minseok asked quietly. "Why can't one of us open it? What difference does it make?" 


"It makes all the difference." Kenneth lashed out. But Jonathan countered it. 


"It doesn't matter at all, he's just being stubborn. He wants his sons to be the ones to do it. But it doesn't have to be them. It could just as easily be any one of you."


"No. Zitao was chosen. It has to be his DNA." Kenneth insisted. 


"And Yifan."


"Yes, yes. Yifan too." He added but with less enthusiasm. 


Jonathan stood. "Show us where it is. Lets unlock it together."


Kenneth shook his now lowered head. "If we align now, we're risking not only Yifan's life.. but also Jongin and Yixing's. They have to be on the side their forces can recognize."


"Is that true or are you just trying to stall for time?" Jonathan asked. Narrowing his eyes. And Minseok waited worriedly for the answer as well. Yixing was the most special person he had. He couldn't risk losing him. 


Kenneth looked up with sincere, glossy eyes. "It's true."