Interlude 3 (Kenneth and Katherine)

Story 1 (mama)

"We thought we could start over again. Since we had no powers and the people we brought along with us were all ordinary, it would be the perfect way to leave the legend behind. Hiding. Protecting the tree until we could die and maybe have a couple children to pass the task of caring for the tree on to. It would have been hard on whoever we left it to, since there would be only a few... we hoped. But the lust for power wasn't as dormant as we had wanted it to be. You see, me and Arthur both had been leaders in that last world. And powerful ones at that. With our forces.. How couldn't we be?

But it turns out, that even without out abilities, we could still command the others. And actually, we craved it."

 

*

 
"What did you do?" Kenneth loomed over her. The dead body on the floor was nothing more than that. A blood-stained reminder of what they would all be one day. And the shocking image of his future self. One he was ready to accept. He knew they all had to die in order for their boys to really flourish, but he didn't think it would happen this soon. 
 
Katherine hadn't said a word after the incident. He'd wanted to kill her with his own bare hands at the time for putting that fear into his chest but he let her live on. As a prisoner in his house. His new house which was almost a fortress for all it's security guards and repelling devices. She had her own room which was also locked, in case she felt like harming Zitao or her own son, even. 
 
And one day, Kenneth felt like he was really Yifan's father. The boy was special. One connection to the other world where he had destroyed all ties with the others. Yifan could help the boys get together when it was time. And this became extra apparent when they got their powers. It would be a good tool. But also a weakness. So he hid his new found son, because that was where his vulnerability was.