Family Matters

Decisions

 

           I walked in again and Junhyung was dressed and about to leave.

           “Go take a shower and change into something comfortable, you’re staying home today,” I told him.

           He rolled his eyes at me. “Wow, Maeji, you’ve really changed. I don’t remember you being this bossy! Your mom must have changed too if she let you be like this.”

           “Yah! Yong Junhyung! Go shower and change! And don’t talk about my family! We might have known each other for a long time but you don’t know what’s happened to me!”

           He looked surprised and shrugged. “Fine.”

           My phone started ringing.

           “Hello?”

           “Maeji?”

           “Yes, who is this?” I didn’t recognize the number.

           “It’s Dongwoon. I was just checking to see if you were at the dorm. I forgot my ID so I was going to get it since it’s lunch now.”

           “Oh, well I’m here, so stop by.” Part of me was excited about being able to see him. I felt silly since there was really no way he could like someone like me.

           “Good, I’ll be there soon, bye.”

           “Bye.”

           I went into the kitchen and started making some fried rice for lunch. As I was adding in the beef, my phone began to ring. I put in the rest of the beef and put the stove on a low setting before answering it.

           “Hi Seomin,” I said.

           “Ahh, my favorite little sister, how are you?”

           “Okay, I know that voice. What do you need now?”

           “Well, I’ve been evicted from my apartment so I need–”

           “You gambled the money I gave you from last time didn’t you? I only send you money so you can get back on your feet! What happened to your job?”

           “I was fired, but it wasn’t my fault.”

           “It’s never your fault is it?”

           “Oh don’t start to lecture me again. I’m your older brother, that sort of thing is starting to get shameful. Mom would want–”

           “Yah! Don’t bring her into this! How would you know what she wanted! You were never around!”

           “Don’t yell at me! It’s not my fault she’s dead either!”

           I hung up. I didn’t need to hear my biggest mistake again. Everything was blurry now and I felt teardrops on my cheeks.

           Dongwoon was there then, holding me. I’m not sure what he heard but all I knew was that I didn’t care.