Dinner

Decisions

 

Dream Sequence Font, YEAAAAAAAAAAH~

 

Maeji’s POV

            “Umma,” a little girl said to me, “let’s go! Appa is waiting with Kyu Shik.”

            “Okay honey,” I replied as she pulled me down the hall.

            The elevator opened and we walked in. She stood on her toes to press the highest button. I stared at her more. If she’s my daughter. . . Who’s the father!? She had my eyes and nose. looked familiar.

            “Umma, when we get to Appa’s office, are we going out to eat?”

            “Oh, yes, it’s almost time for dinner, isn’t it?”

            “Mhm,” she said and smiled.

            Funny, I thought, she has Junhyung’s smile.

            The elevator door opened and she led me down the hall. When we reached the end, she pointed to the doorknob and let go of my hand.

            When I opened the door, she ran right in and hugged her brother.

            Someone laughed. “Oh, sorry guys, but these are my twins, Kyu Shik and Jia Li.”

            “No problem, hyung. We’ll see you tomorrow,” another voice said.

            A group of boys walked towards me and before leaving they greeted me with, “Goodnight, Mrs. Yong.”

            Mrs. Yong? She looks like Junhyung. . . OH. MY. GOD.

            “Jia Li, where’s Umma?”

            “She’s outside.”

            He walked towards the door. “Maeji-ah, why didn’t you come in?”

            “Oh I. . .”

            He laughed and gave me a hug. “Come on, let’s go. You must be hungry after work, right?”

            “Uhm, yeah. . .”

            “Are you tired?” He looked worried.

            “I’m fine, Junhyung.”

            “At least you remember your husband’s name.” He smiled. It was a complete replica of the little girl’s.

            Then it hit me. Mrs. Yong. I was married to Junhyung.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

 

 

 

            Wait. I’m dating Dongwoon. I shouldn’t be so happy! What the what the what the heck!? Why am I dreaming about being Junhyung’s wife!?!

 

 

 

            I woke up.

            I was laying on someone’s shoulder.

            I was laying on JUNHYUNG’S shoulder.

            “Oh!” I gasped and sat up. His jacket slid off me and to my lap. I gave it back at him and looked out the window.

            “Are you okay?”

            “Huh? Oh yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for the jacket and letting me use you as a pillow.”

            “No problem. You slept for a while so we’re going to be there in ten minutes.”

            “Alright.”

            Ten minutes later, the train stopped at the small station in our hometown.

            When we got out with our luggage, I saw his dad.

             “Junhyung, Maeji,” he said and hugged us.

             “How have you and Umma been, Appa?” Junhyung asked in satoori.

            “We’re doing good and even better since you came to see us,” he said with a smile. He looked at me. “Maeji, you have so many bags! Why isn’t my son helping you?”

            “I’m strong, Appa, I can do this,” I replied.

            “Appa? Yong Junhyung, did you come all the way home to introduce Maeji as your girlfriend?”

            “NO!” We both yelled.

            “Aish, not so loud. And I know, I was teasing you two. Come on now, Umma has dinner waiting for us.” He took two of my suitcases and led us to his car.

            “Appa, is Chae’s family in town?” I asked.

            “Her brother is living in Busan now but he went to America for a business trip and her sister is in Jeju now, and her parents went on vacation to Australia.”

            “Oh, too bad. . .”

            “Appa,” Junhyung said. (He sounded so cute saying it!) “What is Umma cooking?”

            “I don’t know; she kept me out of the kitchen all day!”

            When we got to his house, we were hit with the smell of food. My stomach growled.

            “That is a sound Umma likes to hear,” Appa said as he helped us with our bags. “You two go on in, I’ll get these bags where they need to go.”

            “Appa, are you sure?” Junhyung asked. “Maeji packed a lot. . .”

            “I’ll be fine, just go see your mother.”

            We walked in and Mrs. Yong just finished setting the table.

            “Omo!” she said happily and hugged her son.

            “Junhyung, your mother has missed you so much! Ah, you’ve gotten so handsome since the last time I saw you! But, have you been eating? You look so thin!”

            “Umma, I’m eating fine. And I was busy before so I couldn’t come, you know that.”

            “I do, all of the girls were telling me about Beast’s comeback. You met them all the last time you came, so I’ll make sure they don’t bug you.”

            “It’s fine if they do Umma, they’re fans. They’re important to me.”

            “Alright. Oh!” she said and looked at me. “Junhyung, who’s your pretty friend? Is she. . . Your girlfriend?”

            “Umma,” I said, “it’s me. Cho Maeji!”

            She peered at me and then gave me a big hug. “It is! Ah, you’ve gotten even prettier since high school! And you lost your cute chubby cheeks too, that must be why I can’t recognize you!”

            My stomach growled.

            “Aigoo, my dear. Let’s get you two some food. I’ll go help Appa with your bags.”

            “Umma, do you want us to wait for you?” Junhyung asked.

            “No, you two must be so hungry. Eat up!”

            We sat down and started serving ourselves. There was so much food, and I was happy to have a good home-cooked meal after so long. On the table there was rice, kimchi, beef, kimbap, green onion pancakes, seaweed soup, spicy octopus, and udon. My stomach growled again.

            After we took up every inch of space on our plates and bowls we grabbed chopsticks and started eating.

            When Junhyung’s parents came back in they laughed at how fast we were eating.

            “Do you two even eat in Seoul?” Umma asked.

            We nodded and I swallowed before saying, “We do, Umma, but we’re always busy.”

            “Ah, you busy Seoul people. But what do you do now, Maeji? You never could make up your mind on what you wanted to be.”

            “I work for a styling company and I helped with Beast’s comeback.”

            “You did? No wonder they all looked so handsome!” she said and pinched Junhyung’s cheek.

            “Umma,” he complained.

            “You’re still my baby no matter how famous you are!”

            He shrugged and kept eating.

            Appa served Umma and himself before pouring us all tea. When we finished dinner, Umma brought out songpyeon.

            Junhyung and I ate it happily and drank the rest of our tea.

 

Junhyung’s POV

            After we all finished eating, Umma showed Maeji to her room and Appa and I did the dishes.

            “So,” Appa said as he scrubbed a plate, “do you have a girlfriend?”

            “You’re starting to act like Umma.”

            “I just want to know. You wrote Fiction, right? I don’t want you to be alone and like that.”

            “Appa I’ll be fine.”

            “Do you even like anyone?”

            “Is this a trick question?”

            “Yong Junhyung.”

            “Fine. I do,” I admitted.

            He grinned. “Who?”

            “Appa.”

            “Alright, alright. But tell me about her at least.”

            “Appa you’re starting to be like Umma and her friends. Maybe you and Mr. Cha should go on a trip together.”

            He laughed. “I just want to know about you. I miss you too, son. Now tell me about her.”

            “Fine. She’s really pretty and cute. And funny too. But she can be really irritating.”

            “She sounds like you.”