I Miss You & I Love You

Decisions

 

            I turned off the TV. “Excuse me, what?”

            “I know this is an expected call–”

            “What happened?” I interrupted.

            “I will get to that ma’am, but first I need to know your relationship with Seomin Cho and Adam Carter.”

“I’m Seomin’s sister and Adam’s daughter.”

“Well ma’am, I’m sorry to say this, but they’re dead.”

“D-dead?”

“Yes, I’m sorry.”

“How? By who? When did this happen?”

“We’re not sure about the details yet. But do you have any information about how this could have happened?”

“Maybe, I have a voicemail from Seomin, but I haven’t checked it yet.”

“Alright. Please call us back when you’re done.”

“Yes.” I replied. I called voicemail quickly.

            “Maeji, I took him out, and I thought it might calm him down but he’s a drinker. So I just wanted to let you know, I love you and I miss you. I wish I could’ve been the brother you needed, but I guess I just repeated his mistake. I’m sorry. Tell Junhyung I said hi and that he needs to take care of you no matter what happens. Even if you get with some other guy, he has to be your guardian angel. I’m so sorry for everything I’ve put you through. I love you. And you deserve the money.”

            I’m so sorry for everything I’ve put you through. I love you. Those words would be with me forever. He apologized and he loved me. I felt a tear slide down my face. What’s wrong with my heart? It shouldn’t be so sad. . . Should it? I closed my eyes, trying to block this out. But all I could see were memories.

            “Oppa! I’m going to grow up and be strong like you,” I told him.

            “Aish Maeji, you’re a girl. Girls can’t be as strong as oppa!”

 

            “Maeji, have you seen my book?”

            “Didn’t you leave it in the kitchen?”

            “Ah! I did! Thanks!” He pat my head.

 

            “Seomin oppa my tummy hurts. . .”

            “Aigoo, it was because of Appa’s bad cooking, wasn’t it? Come here, I’ll give you something to make it better.”

 

            “Goodnight Maeji. I love you!”

            “Night oppa, love you!”

 

            I was hiding underneath the dining room table, playing hide-and-go-seek with Seomin.

            “Where could she be? Aish, she’s so good at hiding!” He dove at me and started tickling me.

            “Fine op-p-pa! You win!”

 

            “Oppa, can you help me with this?” I asked and held up my algebra homework.

            “Sure. Oh? You copied the problem down wrong, see? Plus 8x not times 8x.”

            “Oh, thanks!”

 

            “. . . Seomin-ah, will Umma be okay?”

            He scoffed. “Of course she’ll be, she’s Umma!”

 

            “I’m so sorry. . . It’s all my fault. . .” I sobbed.

            Seomin put his arm around me. “It’s alright, Maeji, everything’s going to be fine. . .”

 

 

            My phone went off again. “Hello?”

            “Maeji?”

            “Yeah, it’s me,” I replied in English.

            “Have you listened to the voicemail?”

            “I have. And it was like a goodbye message. It was like he knew he was going to die that night. My dad’s a drinker now, Seomin found that out when he took him out for dinner. And he said that I deserved the money. I don’t know what money he’s talking about though.”

            “We think the money is inheritance from your grandfather. Your cousin said that your father would only get the money if he could have a relationship with you and your brother again.”

            “Then why did he kill him?”

            “If he didn’t get the money your brother would’ve gotten it. . .”

            “But now I get it.”

            “Exactly. We’re very sorry for your loss.”

            “Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” I hung up.

 

                        Are you happier where you are? I hope you’re in heaven, because in spite of what you’ve done, you deserve to be there. Watch over me, your dongsaeng, please. I miss you, and I love you.

                      Seomin-ah, why did this have to happen for you to say those things? Why did this have to happen for me to care about you again? Why did this have to happen at all? I wish I didn’t have these questions, because I know no one has the answers.