Getting Ready

Decisions

 

            I grabbed my purse and my bag with all of my things for my pain -- I mean paid internship in it. I took a taxi to the office because I didn’t want to risk being late due to the morning rush in the subway. I paid the driver and thanked him then rushed into Cube.

            I saw my boss, Kim Joo, waiting for me in front of the meeting room.

            “You’re on time for once,” she said.

            “Yes, good morning,” I replied and bowed.

            “Well since you’re my intern I’m going to need you to carry some things for me.”

            As expected, I thought as she piled folders and her purse in my arms.

            “Don’t worry, this will all pay off. You’ll need these muscles at showcases. The stronger the arms, the more people you can push aside.” She smiled pleasantly and opened the door.

            When I set everything down on the table, I noticed the room was empty aside from the table and chairs.

            “Where is everyone?” I asked.

            “Oh, they won’t be here for another thirty minutes or so. They can be fashionably late, we can’t!”

            “Oh, of course. . . Boss, do you like them? You seem excited. . .”

            “Yah, if you’ve noticed something about me that means you haven’t been working hard,” she snapped. She continued a bit calmer now, “Help me set up now. I’ll put down the name cards and you just follow me with the folders. Make sure they match up. I have the designs for each member in their own folder.”

             Starting on their side of the table was their manager, then Dujun, Dongwoon, Junhyung, Yoseob, Hyunseung, and Gikwang. At the end (and partly on our side) was where the makeup artists and hairstylists sat. My boss sat in front of Dujun, and I in front of Dongwoon. I could scream~!

            “Looks good,” I commented.

            “Did you see the designs in the folders? There are three. I want to make sure you like them too.”

            “No not yet.”

            I went by each seat and looked at the folders. By the time I was done, I was grinning and hugging Joo.

            “You used my designs! Thank you so much!” It was just one per person but with Kim Joo, it would be considered lucky if she used the paper you gave her.

            She pushed me off. “Yeah, yeah. I’m going to find a bathroom; you stay out of here until I come back. After six months of having you as an intern I know you can be clumsy.”

            I followed her out of the room and just waited while she walked off. When Joo fixes her make up, that could mean two things. She could just be doing touch ups, or she could be completely changing it. And if it was the second thing, we might be late after all.

            As I was looking around, I noticed that people began to walk quicker and bow. I looked to where they were heading.

            Must. . . Resist. . . Urge to. . . Scream! I put my hand over my mouth and breathed deeply a few times. Here they were, standing right in front of me. If I wasn’t wearing heels, I would feel incredibly short. With them, I was almost 165cm.

            “Good morning,” I greeted with a bow.