Test

Decisions

 

Junhyung’s POV

            Eun Mi pulled Maeji over to where I was.

            “You look too pretty to be sitting down all night,” I told her. “Come on, dance with me.”

            She smiled and the music shifted into a slower song. I held her close.

            “You know this really isn’t helping me when I tell people we’re not a couple.”

            I shrugged. “I guess you could think of it as a test.”

            “A test for what?”

            “A test to see if you’re really committed to Dongwoon.”

            “Then I guess you’re being a bad hyung right now, aren’t you?”

            “That depends on how you look at it.”

            She stuck her tongue at me.
            “Since when were you this cute?” I asked her. “You never showed aegyo when I was around – even when you were little!”

            “I didn’t show aegyo . . . I showed my tongue.”

            I smiled. “Yes, thank you Captain Obvious.”

            “Anytime,” she replied sweetly.

            I looked at her more. She was so pretty, like a doll. She had on a purple strapless dress that showed off how tiny she was. She had a black coat, but it was hanging on her chair now. Her hair was curled, and I wondered if she put on any makeup or if her skin really didn’t have any imperfections.

            “Is there something wrong with my face?” she asked a little bit self consciously.

            “No, you just look good tonight.”

            She blushed. “Uhm, thanks.”

            The song ended then and Eun Mi came up to us and asked, “Are you a couple?”

            “No,” Maeji replied almost immediately.

            “We’re close, like brother and sister,” I explained.

            “Oh, okay.” She turned around and yelled, “They’re not dating!”

            Maeji and I laughed at that.

            When we got home Umma and Appa went to sleep but Maeji and me stayed up. I got changed before her so I went to find something to watch on TV. The live showing of M Countdown was over, but we could probably watch the rerun. I left it on Mnet and checked my phone.

            *Hyung, please watch M Countdown tonight! Make sure Maeji does too! – Dongwoon* he texted me from Dujun’s phone.

            *Hyung, tell Dongwoon I was at a party and why did he want us to watch?*

            “So what are we watching?” Maeji asked as she walked out.

            “M Countdown, the rerun though. Your oppa wanted us to watch it.”

            “Why?”

            “That’s what I want to know.”

            The show started and the MCs greeted everyone. “Today, we have a special MC! He’s Beast’s maknae, Dongwoon!”

            Dongwoon walked on to the stage and the fans screamed.

            Maeji was smiling now.

            Damn it Dongwoon. Stop being so handsome!

                                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Maeji’s POV

 

Friday

            *Why aren’t you talking to Dad?*

                        *Saying sorry doesn’t fix everything.*

            *He’s trying though, at least talk to him.*

                        *No.*

 

Saturday

            *He’s mad that you’re not talking to him.*

                        *Okay, I don’t care.*

            *Don’t talk to him. He hasn’t changed.*

                        *Why do you say that?*

            *He’s acting how he did before he left.*

                        *Good luck dealing with him.*

 

Sunday

            I passed the test. I didn’t have anymore Junhyung dreams – at least any that I remembered – and I was pretty proud of that.

            Today we were leaving though. I had to be back at work tomorrow, and I got a reminder from my peachy boss.

            “Cho Maeji, tomorrow you’re coming back to work. If you’re even one minute late, you’ll be early for unemployment! So be here on time alright? Have a good day.”

            We packed up the car and Appa and Umma took us to Busan.

                                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Seomin’s POV

            “Hey, one more,” Dad said as a waiter passed. It wasn’t our waiter, but he was too wasted to notice.

            The guy nodded and went to get another beer for him. Was this guy blind? Why would you bring someone as out of it as him another beer? God people are stupid.

            “So whaaaaaaaaat did she say?”

            “She’s not going to talk to you. She doesn’t think you’ve changed and neither do I.”

            “Wha? But I thought you diiiiiiid. . .”

            “After yesterday and tonight, no.”

            “Son, pleaseeee. I need you two to love me again. That was the deal. . .” He burped after speaking.

            “Deal? What deal?”

            “Your grandfather died,” he said simply. “And his will said I could only have my money if I had a good relationship with you guys again. A social social social–”

            “Worker,” I finished.

            “Yeah that. She’s going to check up on me tomorroooooooooooooow.”

            “Well what happens to the money if you don’t get it?”

            “Then youuuuuuuu would get it. But I don’t think you’d get it.”

            I wasn’t going to disagree. I wouldn’t give myself money either. I was some of the lowest people in society. “Then who would get it?”

            “Your sister.”

            “She deserves it.”

            “No she doesn’t! I DO!” he banged his fists on the table.

            “You deserve to die alone. And that was one of the things we both agreed on.”

            He slapped me and reached for his empty glass. “What the hell?” He threw the glass on the ground, shattering it. I took out my wallet and took out what money I had before rushing him out of the place.

            He walked – if leaning from side to side and spinning counted as walking – around the diner parking lot, trying to find his car. I called Maeji.

            It’s Sunday here, so it’s Monday there. She’s probably still at work. I wished I could be like her, have a motive to live. I got her voicemail.

            “Maeji, I took him out, and I thought it might calm him down but he’s a drinker,” I told her in English. “So I just wanted to let you know, I love you and I miss you. I wish I could’ve been the brother you needed, but I guess I just repeated his mistake. I’m sorry. Tell Junhyung I said hi and that he needs to take care of you no matter what happens. Even if you get with some other guy, he has to be your guardian angel. I’m so sorry for everything I’ve put you through. I love you. And you deserve the money.”

            I could already tell that he was a violent drunk. And by the way he was going through his car; I could tell that he was looking for his gun. I guess I didn’t need to make the choice after all.

            He got out of his car with his handgun and walked over to me. I stayed completely still. I wasn’t living. So I guess it was time I died.

            “You’re worthless!” he yelled in my face. I stayed silent. “What you forgot how to talk?” He punched my cheek then my stomach. I crouched on the ground in pain and I could taste the blood from my cheek.

            I felt the gun on my head. “If I don’t get the money, no one does.”