Hongdae Cafe

Decisions

 

Maeji’s POV

            I quickly showered and got ready. I grabbed my bag and put some money and my phone in it before leaving. I locked the door behind me and started walking towards the buildings away from my apartment complex since that’s where most taxis were.

            I saw one pull over and a couple stepped out and went into one of the udong shops. I slid into their cab just as someone on the other side opened the door.

            “Oh,” he said when he saw me. “I’ll get the next one.” He looked – and sounded very familiar.

            “Wait,” I said before he closed the door. “We can just share it. It looks like it’s about to rain anyways.”

            “Thanks,” he said, in the same tone. He got and put on a seatbelt.

            “Hongdae, please,” I told the driver. “I was planning on going there anyways,” I explained to the stranger.

            It was awkward and quiet the whole way there, and I sat and looked at the city passing by. When we got into Hongdae, we split the fare and headed our separate ways. I got into the coffee shop and ordered before sitting down at a table near the window.

            The wind picked up and passersby tugged at the coats to keep warm and held on to their shopping bags. A little bit later, I heard my ringtone. I took my phone out of my bag. I had gotten a text from Junhyung.

            *If you go out today, remember to bring a coat. I don’t want you sick like I was.*

            I smiled at the message and replied that I did.

            Then, the guy from earlier walked in. He took out his phone and quickly dialed a number. Almost instantly, my phone started ringing. I answered with an awkward, “Hello?”

            He made eye contact with me and asked, “Cho Maeji?”

            I nodded and we hung up. He sat down in the chair in front of me.

            I bit my lip as I looked at him. Yes, he did look familiar in the sense of him coming over to the house with Seomin and Junhyung, but there was something else about him that rung a bell.

            “Have we met before?” I asked.

            “I was just thinking that,” he replied. “Oh! You were our stylist! B.o.M’s, remember? Ah, I called you noona then. . . I guess you’re not my noona,” he laughed.

            The barista called my name and I got up to get it. When I came back, Minho looked like he figured it out.

            “I helped you when they one drunk was all over you.”

            I clapped and pointed at him, something I copied from my brother. “That’s it! Thank you by the way. Anyways, how have you been? You’ve changed your hair since the last time I saw you.

            He nodded. “I’ve been good. I would’ve asked to meet up earlier but I didn’t know about Seomin until yesterday. How are you though? I know after he left you guys didn’t really get along.”

            I sighed. “It’s been. . .eh.  Better than before.” I smiled to reassure him. “The funeral is in two weeks in Canada, by the way.”

            “Two weeks. . . I’ll try to come. Is Junhyung hyung coming?”

            I nodded and took a drink of my coffee. “You guys haven’t seen each other in a while, right?” I laughed a bit. “I guess the funeral will be a reunion for everyone.”