Composition

He's Back

Yesterday had been the worst day in my life, Howon didn’t even recognize me and then my mom flipped out because I didn’t pick up her call, such a great way to end the weekend on.

I didn’t want to talk to her, not only because she was going to say stupid things about him, but also because I didn’t know what to say. Howon and I hadn’t really talked to each other. More like me getting humiliated in front of his group members, excluding; jackass and that other guy. Well at least two of them seemed pretty decent. And with that I mean, Sung Yeol and oldie. If I’m right then he’s probably the leader of the group.

Anyhow, I could never set my foot near that house again, nor either Howon. Maybe it was time for me to move on, since he obviously has, that stupid boy.

“Mi Yeon sshi, your turn” the music teacher, Im Sojin, who also was the youngest of all the teachers in the music department, she was barely thirty years old and was teaching in one of Korea’s best universities. But then again, she was an outstanding pianist as well.

“Yeh” I replied as I made my way up towards the piano that was standing in the middle of the room. I seated myself down on the chair and took a deep breath as I stretched out my fingers before I gently put them on the keys and then waited for Sojin’s approval, which she soon enough gave.

When I finally started, I shut off everything around me so that I could focus on playing the piano the best I could. I couldn’t slack off, not if I wanted to earn recognition. As I got to the middle part of the composition I closed my eyes and let my fingers swiftly wander along the keys in an almost dreamy way as I slowed down and let my heart do the work. It was best that way. If you could control your heart, then you could control your body and mind.

Since it was your heart that made the decisions, if it weren’t for that we had emotions then we would just wander around, lonely and most important loveless.

As I pressed the last key I opened my eyes again and breathed out as I looked at Sojin, she was blinking her eyes rapidly before she cleared and I didn’t know what to believe. Was it good or bad?

“Wow, Mi Yeon ah” one of the girls in the class erupted as she clapped her hands excitedly. I smiled slightly at the compliment as I stood up and made my way back to my chair. Sojin was still quiet and that made me nervous.

*I wonder if they could kick me out if they suddenly didn’t think I was good enough* I wondered as I lazily sat down on my chair and put the notes down on the desk in front of me.

“Okay class, that was all for today, see you tomorrow” Sojin clapped her hands together as in a motion in getting the students attention. “YEH” I replied, and so did the other as we then stood up and got ready to leave the school for today. But before I got the chance to exit the room Sojin had called me over, telling me that she wanted to talk to me.

*Oh god, I’m going to be kicked out*

I slowly made my way over to her, terrified that this was it.

“Were did you learn to play piano like that?”

“I’ve taught myself” I replied proud, as that was probably the one and only thing I was proud over, that I’ve learned to play and instrument all on my own. “I thought so” she smiled brightly, though it didn’t seem like an insult. Though I had no idea what she meant by that either.

“Can I ask you something?” I wondered as I looked at her, she didn’t seem like one of those strict and over judging teachers that did everything to make the students life a living hell. Sojin nodded her head once and I took that as I could ask her.

“What did you think about my composition?”

I could see that her eyes lit up when I asked her, “I can really see that you love to play piano, because the feeling you radiate when doing so is something that I think affects everyone that listens. And that is a hard thing to achieve, not many accomplish that, to be able to affect people with emotions. Though there is one thing that seemed a bit lacking. And that’s the most important thing when playing an instrument, since you are one who raises emotions in people, so you must believe in the emotions you want to convey.”

“So what you mean is that I should believe in the emotions I want my audience to feel?” I asked her seemingly a bit dumbfound. Since this was the first time I actually talked to someone about my music.

“Precisely”

“Oh, okay” I smiled and then glanced at the clock on my wrist.

“Seonsaengnim I need to go, I’ll see you tomorrow” I hurried to bid goodbye, but yet again, I was brought back by Sojin. “Here” she handed over a business card with some sort of logo, name and then a phone number printed on. I shifted my gaze from the small piece of paper I was holding in my hands to Sojin who laughed, probably at the look on my face.

“He’s a music producer, and I sort of owe him, so he wanted me to send over a promising student to him as help.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t understand?” I asked, even more dumbstruck than before as I heard her laughter echoing in my head again. “You’ll help him compose music and write lyrics” she replied in a overly confident voice. But I weren’t too sure about this.

“O-okay, then what am I suppose to do, call him?”

She did a thumb up before she walked past me and exited the room. What was happening with my life? Though an unknown feeling lingered inside my heart as I stared down on the paper yet again, should I call him immediately?

*Wait, what’s his name*

“Tablo” I carefully read out the name, wondering if it was right, it didn’t sound Korean at all. More like American. Ugh what if he only speaks English?