Chapter 3

A Twisted Fairytale

In class~~~

Hwamin twirled her pen around her fingers.

Chaerin tapped on her shoulder. "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing much." She paused. "Do you know we've got a super hot sunbae?" Hwamin asked.

"Let me guess, one of the Kingkas?" Chaerin replied.

"Yup. Cha Baro. He's just so HOT!" Hwamin squealed.

"I like Jinyoung better." Chaerin shrugged.

"They're all cute. But i like Baro best." She giggled.

Chaerin nodded. "By the way, the entire school knows you got in through relations." She added 'helpfully'.

"What?" Hwamin's eyes widened in shock. No one was supposed to know that.

"Well apparently someone told them all. I heard it was one of the queenkas." Chaerin whispered.

Hwamin's facial expression hardened.

"Im Haneul, you're so dead." Hwamin mumbled.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

After school, Hwamin ran up to Haneul.

"Yah, why did you tell the entire school i got into WM through relations?" Hwamin pulled Haneul harshly as if she were the elder one instead.

"I didn't." Haneul frowned. "They know?"

Hwamin glared at her. "Thank goodness they don't know i'm your sister yet. Or else they'd discriminate me!"

"I didn't tell them!" Haneul struggled and broke free of Hwamin's grasp.

"If it wasn't you, then who was it?" Hwamin sneered.

"How would i know?" Haneul replied.

"Then what am i supposed to do? The entire school now knows i'm not as smart as they think!" Hwamin groaned.

"It's your own fault for not studying hard enough. It's a miracle you got into WM." Haneul controlled her anger.

"You're so dead when i tell eomma." Hwamin said angrily and started to run home.

"Yah! Hwamin ah!" Haneul tried to catch up to her but to no avail.

She gave up and sighed. "I'm so screwed."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Haneul arrived home to see her mother fuming mad. She bit her lower lip and walked slowly.

"IM HANEUL!" Eomma shouted.

Fear gripped her heart. "Ne?" Her voice trembled.

"Don't think you can get away with what you did." Eomma looked at her strictly.

"But i didn't-" Haneul's sentence was cut off.

"Still trying to deny it?! Come here! Now!" Eomma hollered, taking a cane from the top shelf.

Haneul shuffled forward uneasily.

The movement of the cane could be heard as it whizzed past the wind and landed on Haneul's arm.

Haneul bit her lip and withstood the pain. Afterall, it wasn't the first time she was getting hit because of Hwamin.

"Are you in the wrong?!" Eomma screamed.

Haneul couldn't reply, she was trying hard to keep the tears in. She wasn't about to show her fragile side to her mother.

"Reply me!" Eomma shouted and another smack landed on Haneul's arm.

Haneul bit her lip harder, afraid that speech would start the flow of tears.

"I'll teach you a lesson!" Eomma frowned. More hits landed on her arm as she winced in pain each time the cane landed on her arm.

At the staircase, Hwamin was watching, a smile forming on her lips.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Haneul crept into her room and locked the door, hungry, tired and bruised.

She examined the cane marks on her arms and tears finally flowed down her cheeks.

She wiped them away hastily and grabbed her stomach. She was too hungry to think.

Eomma didn't give her any food that night. Haneul never knew the real meaning of happiness.

Ever since Hwamin was born two years after her own birth, she was tossed to one side, like a ragdoll when a child grew up.

They were poor when Haneul was a child, but her parents scrimped and saved just to please the unpleasable Hwamin.

Too tired to think, she lay down on her bed without even changing, and fell into a deep sleep.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

3rd update! :) Hope you enjoyed it. ^^ Btw, did you see Jinyoung's fancafe update? I need translations though hehe. :D