The First Dance

From Dream and Ambition to Reality

Crystal's POV

L.Joe hit the play button and the six teen boys stood in a line at the back. Neil stepped forward first after a few beats of the song. We made our way to stand at the back as well and I couldn’t help but smile as I tried to hold in a laugh. SECRET’s Shy Boy was making its way through the speakers and to our ears.

Neil seemed to somehow make the dance somewhat masculine while still being able to keep the happy-go-lucky expression. He soon stopped and came my way about half-way through the song. Before I knew it, he had pulled me away from where I stood and into the center of the room.

“Go Crys-unnie!” Suzi shouted from behind me. I just waved my hand at her as if trying to shoo away a fly, in order to shush her. “Why did you have to make me go next Neil oppa?” I asked in my mind as I tried to calm some of the nerves. “Oh…” I thought, as I looked in the mirror to see Neil standing next to Hana. “That’s why.” And with that thought I began to dance as best as I could, using some of the choreography from Hey Daddy by Usher.

I had done my part and danced the last half of the song. As I walked back the others clapped for both Neil and I and C.A.P went over to the CD player to adjust the bass. “I call going next,” the oldest member stated as he hit play.

“Two thousand and ten. Big Bang (Big Bang). Uh-huh. It goes L-O-L-L-I-P-O-P.”

Soon Minsoo began to go through a range of moves. I recognized the style and was impressed.

“I didn’t know he danced jazz,” I heard Suzi whisper to Changjo who stood next to her quietly before nodding.

“Yeah, he got into it when he was still in high school and is probably going to be learning it at Seoul University,” The black and white streaked haired maknae said confidently.

I could see in the mirror, Suzi-eomma’s eyes following the strong armed teenager that danced in front of us. She was atticipating and almost jumping out of her shoes to go and dance. I knew both me and Hana were realizing our eomma’s need to free-style as Suzi swayed a bit from side to side and crossed her arms.

It was at the song’s half-way point when he switched places with Changjo, causing Suzi to straighten up a bit and compliment him. Her attention was soon diverted, as was everyone else’s when the Dancing Boy began to show off his impressive popping and smooth skills.

The song ended as did Changjo. Soon Miss A’s Bad Girl Good Girl came on and me and Suzi shoved Hana out in front. She knew it by heart and so she was able to make a rendition from the original choreography to make it her own.

Suzi and I laughed a bit at her cute expressions as Ricky pouted, claiming aegyo was his job. In turn this gave L. Joe the right to point out that he wasn’t even the maknae, making it NOT his job in the first place.

Hana had danced half way already and had stopped once the argument began. They did soon shut up and congratulate Hana on her performance. I don’t think anyone noticed that Suzi had apparently made it over to the sound system.

“2NE1, 2010, you know how we do it.If you ain’t know, now you know. Let me show you somethin real quick, follow me”

Suzi grabbed everyone’s attention as she gestured a ‘come here’ motion with her finger before turning to the mirror.

I laughed a bit as Hana sighed and shook her highlighted head with a small smirk.

Normally Suzi would be what we called, Sparkling Eomma Suzi. Always happy and/or hyper yet is able to take care of us well/can be somewhat over-protective like a mother. However, when she gets into dancing, there’s a side of her that we haven’t really named yet. It was a more…powerful, or at times seductive-ish side to her. Edgey! That’s the word I was lookin’ for.

Suzi danced hard when the right beats called for it, and smooth and flowing when it came to parts of the verses and chorus of 2NE1’s Try to Follow Me.

Suzi’s POV

It was so hard for me to stop half way. Once a song starts I don’t usually give up until it’s completed. But I stepped out and gave Chunji the floor.

As soon as I came back to stand in between C.A.P and Crystal I got an awkwardly positioned but enthusiastic high-five from Changjo and Ricky, and then a bright smile from my practical sisters they congratulated me.

Minsoo nudged me and smiled, which I’m sure was making me blush, and also complimented my dance personality and flow. Luckily the blushyness was being covered up by the fact I had just exercised and could be due to the hard dancing.

Crys threw compliments to the Power Vocal as he finished his segment. “Aww,” I thought with a smile you’d use to look at a cute puppy. “Unnie is crushin’ on the Prince Charming.”

L. Joe and Ricky were the last ones to perform and danced amazingly to Boom Boom by Super Junior. Everyone clapped and complimented one another before we all gathered around in a circle.

I looked over to Neil who was apparently looking at Hana while she and the rest were looking to Chunji while he spoke of what we were to do next. I too averted my gaze as he gave instructions.

“Arasso. Everyone was awesome, and we have a five minute water break. The choreographer should be here in an hour. In the meantime, two of us will work with one of you girls to teach you some of our parts of the choreography from Supa Luv.”

We all nodded in agreement and split up around the room to get our water bottles.

“Uh…crap,” Crystal said as she rifled through her bag and then paused, staring at it in disappointment.

“Here you go,” I said holding out an extra water bottle that I always took with.

“Saranghae Suzi-ssi,” she replied while making a heart with her hands.

I nodded with a smile and returned the gesture before taking a drink of my own hydrator. I looked across the room to view the boys talking amongst themselves and every once in a while, looking in our direction.

“Hey, we should talk and glance at them too. And be suspicious and mysterious and stuff,” Hana said a bit quietly and cutely as she stood in front of the both of us.

We laughed lightly and patted Hana’s head before taking another drink.

“We love your specialness Hana-ssi,” Crystal said with a sincere smile.

“Well we’ll be taking Special Hana-ah with us. Because we’re that special, which makes you special-er,” Neil said as he received a ‘wtf’ look from L. Joe who stood next to him.

“Come,” L said and took Hana by the arm and dragged her and Neil to the back very right end of the mirror for lessons, while Crystal and I shared glances with each other. Including the eyebrow raises, followed by light laughs which were soon cut off as a happy Chunji and Ricky pulled my dark red headed unnie away to the middle of the floor for her lessons.

“And that would mean you’re with us noona,” Changjo said kindly from beside me as Minsoo stood behind him.

“Good,” I said with a bright smile. “Your guys’ parts are my favorites,” I added with a gentle eye smile. It was all I could do to stop myself from blushing again. My friends and myself had just been paired with our biases. God has got to be trying to test our ability to stay focused. “It’s a job, it’s a job, it’s still work,” I thought to myself. “But I like this job..anniyo, I love this job. This work is fun,” I thought again with a smile as I did a happy chibi dance in my mind.

Narrator POV

Hana was super excited to be able to work with the two boys she admired/biased, while Crystal was realizing how much Chunji and Ricky would be like Key if morphed into one person, as well as enjoying the entertaining conversations. Suzi learned to stay focused and stayed on task while still showing a bright expression. All three girls were taking lessons from the new Idols close if not exactly the same age and were learning the similarities and differences they all go through in the dance industry.

Once the choreographer came, it was even more hard work with a few drink breaks in between. They all got through it thankfully, and soon it came time for the girls to go back to their hotel. However, there was a small surprise in store for each of the three. After the choreographer left Teen Top was told by a messenger of their manager, to give the girls a message.