Band Mate

Closer, Closer

 

Two lovers get to breaking up

Without even knowing why

And there’s nothing they can do about it

What Do You Know – NS Yoon G ft. Verbal Jint

 


 

Do Kyungsoo walked in into a café; he wanted to buy a coffee on his way home from college. He looked dapper as always, with a simple light blue shirt.

 

He stood in line, and when he looked up front, he realized the back of the girl in front of her was familiar to him.

 

“Bomi…?” he let out the name from his full lips.

 

The girl turned, and looked equally shock as him. “… oh…,” Yoon Bomi stopped. “… Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo felt a pinch on his stomach when he heard Bomi call him ‘Kyungsoo’. The last time he saw her, they were also bumped into each other like this. But the last time, there was Seyeon to melt the silence. Now there were just them. And for some reason Kyungsoo felt irritated.

 

“… I heard you didn’t come home the other night,” he said, sounded meaner and more accusing than he intended to. “You shouldn’t do that and make people worried over you.”

 

Bomi flinched. She frowned, “I know. I already apologized to Seyeon-ah,” she turned around, clearly annoyed by Kyungsoo’s nag. “Orange Mmango smoothie,” she ordered to the barista, determined to ignore Kyungsoo.

 

“Well, she wasn’t the only one who’s worried. Where were you? Were you at your boyfriend’s? Couldn’t you just call before you play around like that?” Kyungsoo snapped.

 

Bomi turned to him and glared. “I don’t have a boyfriend. I’m sorry I made you worried. Seyeon won’t call you anymore,” Bomi said in angry tone. She grabbed her order from the cashier and went to a table near the window, put out her notebooks and started to read.

 

Kyungsoo followed Bomi with his eyes and bite his lips. Just what the matter with you? Can’t you asked nicely and tell her that you’re worried? But hey. She doesn’t have a boyfriend. Kyungsoo thought to himself. He moved to the cashier, and when he saw cakes in the display window, he had an idea. “One caramel macchiato, one black forest, and one cheese cake, please,” he said to the barista as he opened his wallet.

 

He took the tray and carried it to Bomi’s table. He put the black forest in front of Bomi, who looked up at him with half annoyed-half confused look. “I’m bribing you to forgive me,” Kyungsoo said in a low voice. He saw that Bomi eyeing the black forest, but apparently that’s not enough. “… and you can also taste my cheese cake,” he pushed the cheese cake a little bit to Bomi.

 

Bomi stared at the cheese cake, and sighed. “It’s not fair, using my weakness like that,” she muttered.

 

Kyungsoo smiled and took the seat in front of Bomi. “Studying?” he said as he took a sip of his caramel macchiato.

 

“Just reviewing my notes…,” Bomi shrugged.

 

“So, you’re studying Design Interior now.” It’s not a question, more like a statement.

 

Bomi nodded. “And you’re studying Korea Language & Literature, right? … You always like language…,” Bomi said softly.

 

A weird silent fell upon them, as the two of them busied themselves drinking their beverages. Bomi started to cut her black forest. Kyungsoo had his bamby eyes locked on her while she cut the black forest and ate it. Her hair had grown, the longest that Kyungsoo ever remembered. He suppressed the urge to touch it like he always did, running his finger in Bomi’s beautiful wavy hair. It felt strange for Kyungsoo. It seemed like just yesterday he saw her in her uniform, bouncing happily to meet him, and now she’s a lady. She looked mature in her outfit, like a real lady now. It was a vintage pink blouse, matched with a dark colored skirt.  

 

“… how are you doing?” Kyungsoo finally spoke in a low tone. The question was come from his deepest heart.

 

Bomi looked up at him, and for a moment they were staring into each other. “Good,” Bomi broke the glance. She couldn’t stand to stare at those beautiful eyes any longer. Beside, that light blue shirt… It made Kyungsoo’s eyes shine even more. “… I’m good. Like Seyeon-ah said last time, we lived together now. Sunggyu Oppa calls from time to time, more than Oemoni.”

 

Kyungsoo grinned. “Of course, I can imagine it. Hyung must be going mad, his baby sister growing up and leaving home. Did he cry when you leave?”

 

“I think he did,” Bomi smiled, remembering her big brother back home.

 

“It’s nice to know you and Seyeon still being best friend.”

 

“Well Seyeon’s the best,” Bomi raised her left thumb. “We’re stuck for life.” She reached out to Kyungsoo’s cheesecake and cut a small piece for herself. “How’s your family, Oppa? … ah.” Bomi startled when she realized she just called Kyungsoo ‘Oppa’ out of habit.

 

But Kyungsoo seemed unaffected, as he answered lightly, “Everyone’s fine, Minseok Hyung is busy with his college, Youjung-ah just has her first crush. She was excited when I told her I met you. She practically begs me to bring you home, Bbom.”

 

As soon as he said it, Kyungsoo also startled. He just called Bomi with his nickname for her, Bbom. Now he realized that Bomi called him oppa earlier. But he carried on as if that didn’t matter to him, and started to enjoy the cheesecake. “Hmmm. This is good,” he said.

 

Bomi stared at him for a while, and Kyungsoo stared back. “What?” he asked. “Is there something wrong with my face?” he started to brush his mouth. His face looked super innocent while doing it.

 

Bomi smiled a little. “No. Nothing.” And she turned to her black forest.

 

Kyungsoo stole a glance at her, wondered what’s on her mind.

 

They continued the conversation, less tense now, mostly talked about their life now, their family, and their friends.

 

“Oh,” Kyungsoo remembered. “You know, in high school, I joined this band-“

 

“Hyeongsoonim?” a voice cut him off, and the two of them looked up.

 

Sehun stood behind Kyungsoo, facing Bomi, in his neat high school uniform; he was holding a paper cup of bubble tea in his hand.  

 

“Sehun-ssi?” Bomi flustered as she heard Sehun still called her his sister-in-law. “You’re on your way home?”

 

“Oh? Kyungsoo Hyung! What are you doing? You know Hyeongsoonim?” Sehun looked surprised after he realized Bomi’s friend was his hyung.

 

Bomi’s eyes were wide-open. Kyungsoo and Sehun know each other?

 

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows, confused. “Why do you call her-?” Kyungsoo face changed when his memory kicked in.

 


 

Baekhyun’s voice, “Chanyeol just popped someone’s cherry! And he said bye-bye to his purity~”

Jongin asked, “Who’s the girl? Chanyeol has a girlfriend?”

Baekhyun answered him, “Nope! One night stand with a girl from last night’s party.”

Sehun’s voice as he turned his head to Chanyeol in the kitchen. “Why Hyeongsoonim borrow your clothes?”

Hyeongsoonim.

 


 

Kyungsoo froze in his seat. It can’t be... right?

 

“Sehun!” his friend called. “Are you coming?”

 

“In a minute!” Sehun answered. “I’m going first. Hyengsoonim, please come and play with us again,” he bowed politely to Bomi, who bowed back awkwardly. “Hyung, please tell the others I can’t come to Chanyeol Hyung’s later, I have home works. Bye!” he tapped Kyungsoo’s shoulder and went off.

 

Bomi felt her heart jumped out when Sehun mentioned Chanyeol’s name to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo also knows Chanyeol? Could it be…? It can’t be… right?

 

Bomi sat uneasily, while Kyungsoo kept his mouth shut, staring at the floor. Bomi leaned over. “Oppa… Could it be… you know Chanyeol?”

 

Finally Kyungsoo raised his head, and he stared directly to Bomi’s eyes. His stare was sharp, not showing any emotion, but his voice was icy cold. His answer made Bomi’s heart dropped to her feet.

 

“Chanyeol’s my band mate.”

 


 

It's cliché. I know. Sorry. *crawl back to my hiding cave in shame*