Skinny Love

Closer, Closer

After this love, I don’t really know what will happen

Closer – Taeyeon (OST To The Beautiful You)

 


 

Kyungsoo dashed in into his room, sweeping up his phone from his desk, “My mom told me to buy something so I’ll be out for a while, it’s okay right?”

 

Chanyeol followed Kyungsoo’s movement with his eyes. “Should I go with you?”

 

Kyungsoo found his wallet and pocketed it. “No, I’ll be quick.”

 

“Okay,” the taller boy nodded from his seat in Kyungsoo’s bed. “Oh hey, can I use your laptop while you’re out?”

 

“Yeah, go ahead.”

 

“Cool, be safe,” Chanyeol managed to say before Kyungsoo walked out.

 

He sat on Kyungsoo chair and played with his laptop for a while to kill time, browsing through Kyungsoo’s collection of music and movies.

 

His index finger on the mouse stopped clicking when he found a folder named ‘’.

 

Bom? Spring?

 

There were several other folders inside, labeled with the indication of the contents of the folder; ‘Primary School’, ‘Junior High’, ‘High School’.

 

But there’s one folder, the newest one – based on the date it was the last summer – that labeled as ‘Summer’. Chanyeol decided to click the folder open. 

 

Photos of Bomi appeared on the screen.

 


 

“Bomi’s not coming?”

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to listen to Chanyeol’s and Suho’s conversation beside him, even though he looked busy with the notes of lyric in his hands. He pretended to check the microphone in front of him too, but his attention was totally not there.

 

“No, she said she’s busy with her assignments…”

 

“But she’s coming to our next performance, right?”

 

“She hasn’t say anything about it,” Chanyeol shrugged.

 

“Hyung, don’t you think you’re a bit unfair? I remember last year we still performed a lot even until a couple weeks before our final test!” Baekhyun protested from his place behind the keyboard. “And back then there were four of us!”

 

Suho just smiled at Baekhyun. “It’s because I trust you kids, you’re smart, right?”

 

“Eeey, Hyung! Sehun is way smarter than us all combined!”

 

“Speak for yourself!” Jongin threw his drumstick at Baekhyun and it hit him in the head perfectly. The shorter glared at the drummer and threw the drumstick back, but Jongin caught it with his right hand. “If Bomi is busy with her assignments, then why are you here? Aren’t you in the same class as her?” he diverted his gaze at Minah in the corner of the music studio.

 

“Why do you care anyway?” as usual Minah barked back. “Of course I come for my Baek—” Minah stopped abruptly when she realized Jongin was staring at her, “B-Baekhyunnie…,” she continued in a smaller voice, and when she saw Baekhyun smiled cheerfully at her, Minah blushed and looked down.

 

That’s why Minah missed the smug smile Baekhyun shot at Jongin.

 

And because Jongin looked away from Baekhyun, annoyed, he missed the amused chuckle Baekhyun let out after that.

 

“Are you in a hurry, Hyung?” Kyungsoo asked when he noticed Suho checked his watch repeatedly.

 

“No, but Sehun said he would drop by after his study session with his friends. He should be here by now,” Suho answered the vocalist with a smile. He checked his watch once again and glanced at the studio’s door.

 

Five minutes later Sehun barged in, running his fingers through his slightly damp hair, drops of water could be seen in his coat. “Sorry,” he muttered because the boys stopped playing in his entrance. His eyes immediately looked around the studio – there’s only EXO’s members and Minah.

 

Suho walked to Sehun and helped him with his bag and his coat. “It’s alright, she’s not coming,” he said quietly. 

 

Sehun slightly frowned, but he didn’t say anything.

 

They waited until Suho settled with his bass again before started another round of practice.

 


 

Baekhyun and Minah were sitting across each other, comfortable in their own single sofa with a small coffee table between them. They decided to hang in a small café that Baekhyun recommended, and now after their orders arrived, Minah was busy testing her cake.

 

“Is it good?” Baekhyun asked, and a mouthful Minah nodded vigorously. “I haven’t taste the red velvet yet…,” Baekhyun cut himself a piece of Minah’s cake and had a taste himself. “Hhmmm! You’re right, this is delicious! Oh, by the way Minah, how’s your relationship with Jongin?”

 

“UGGHH!” Minah choked on her cake immediately as if ‘Jongin’ was a cue for her to do so.

 

“Ah, ah, drink this,” Baekhyun quickly pushed Minah’s bubble tea to her. “Are you alright? Wrong pipe to breathe?”

 

“W-Why…,” the choked girl managed to let out a word between her struggle to swallow, drink and breathe. “… Jongin?”

 

Baekhyun tilted his head. “Huh, why? You like Jongin don’t you?”

 

This time all the liquid inside Minah’s mouth spurted out, some drops landed gracefully on Baekhyun’s face. The boy closed his eyes while Minah, revived from her choke, waved her hands frantically. “OH MY GOD! Baekkie, I’m so sorry!” she reached out to wipe Baekhyun’s face with a napkin.

 

“It’s okay,” Baekhyun took over the napkin from Minah’s hand and wiped his face himself. “I guess I shouldn’t say ‘Jongin’ in the same sentence with ‘relationship’ or ‘like’ in front of you…,” he mumbled to himself.

 

“W-What are you talking about? Me? Jongin?” Minah made a sound that maybe supposed to be a mocking laugh. “I hate that guy!” she shook her head to emphasize her feelings.

 

Baekhyun hummed as a respond, digging into his own waffle and stared at Minah, his almond-shaped eyes blinked innocently at the girl.

 

“But I really am!!!” Minah found the blinking eyes offending. “Baekkie, you know I like you!”

 

Baekhyun smiled brightly. “I like you too!”

 

Minah was taken aback with the sudden reply. “… Y-you do?”

 

“Um, of course!” Baekhyun nodded. “You’re a very nice girl, it’s fun hanging out with you, and we even share the same taste in a lot of things. I feel like I’ve known you for so long, you’re like… Hm, my soul mate number three, after Chanyeol and Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun grinned.

 

Minah pouted when she realized what Baekhyun was talking about. “You like me as a friend,” she said with accusing tone. “Byun Baekhyun, I don’t like you like that. I like you.”

 

Baekhyun glanced at Minah with a subtle smile. “Bang Minah, we know that’s not true.”

 

“What do you mean it’s not true? I really like you!”

 

“Minah… You know that I’m not looking for a relationship right now?” Baekhyun paused, giving time for Minah to answered, and the girl nodded slowly – Baekhyun talked about it once when they began to hang out around each other. “Do you think I’m that cruel, acting ignorant if I know you really like me? I know when someone likes me… And I can tell that you don’t like me that way.”

 

Minah fell silent. “I don’t understand…,” she finally said. “… But I really like you…”

 

“And I really like you too!” Baekhyun’s bright smile returned, making his eyes disappeared. “You said you like me as EXO’s vocalist. I think you just, hm, fond of me? Idolized me? Worship—Hahaha okay maybe not worship,” Baekhyun laughed when Minah frowned at him.

 

“Then… I don’t like you?” Suddenly Minah looked confused and desperate. “But… Who do I like?” Minah knew she sounded very stupid for asking Baekhyun about her own feeling, but she’s really lost at the moment.

 

“Actually, I can answer that question, but I don’t want you to choke on anything… or spurt me with anything,” Baekhyun grinned and winked playfully. 

 

Minah furrowed her eyebrows and scrunched up her nose in a very cute way when she’s thinking. “… You mean Jong-?! Aish, I told you, I don’t like him!”

 

“Uh-huh,” Baekhyun did that thing when he just stared innocently at Minah again. Minah opted to ignore it this time, she’s sipping on her bubble tea furiously. “Then what about the other day when we hang out in Bomi’s house? When, you know, Jongin dragged you to the bathroom to wipe your make-up? I don’t know that the two of you are that close, have you been seeing each other?”

 

“That— that is because he’s a crazy, rude guy!” Minah shook her head. “And… We just… I-… I took pictures for his sister… A-and…,” she gradually stuttered, “I left my wallet a-and h-he…,” Minah stopped when she saw Baekhyun stared at her with a -eating grin on his face. “We’re not like that!!!” she said desperately.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “I didn’t say anything.”

 

“I don’t like him!!!”

 


 

“I don’t like her,” Jongin deadpanned, leaning back with his hands propping himself, refusing to look at Bomi because even without looking he could tell that the girl was grinning.

 

Jongin was taking Monggu for a walk along the river when he spotted the girl, sitting by herself on the grass, sketching solemnly into her sketchbook. She was doing some assignment for a big project some time next week.

 

“If you’re busy, then why is that girl still had the time to follow Baekhyun—” Jongin found himself already asking before he could stop. He regretted it instantly when he saw Bomi’s eyes twinkling with mischievousness, hence the statement.

 

“Okay,” Bomi shrugged nonchalantly at Jongin’s previous statement. “If you don’t like her, then I supposed you’re not interested in what Minah said about you?”

 

Jongin’s eyebrows made a twitch. “... what did she say?”

 

“Hm? What?” Bomi looked up from her sketchbook. “She? Who? Seyeon?”

 

Jongin groaned. “Bomi, can you not?!”

 

Bomi laughed. “I’m sorry, it’s fun teasing you like this,” she patted Jongin’s shoulder, ignoring Jongin’s annoyed look at her. “If you’re worried about Baekhyun, I don’t think Minah really like him. I think she’s just a fan.”

 

“… Did she say that herself?”

 

“Umm… No?”

 

Jongin’s face fell.

 

Bomi laughed again, harder this time, until she fell to the side and clutching her stomach.

 

“Yah!” Jongin nudged her with his elbow.

 

“You should see your face,” Bomi said after she’s done laughing, wiping the tears formed in her eyes. “So much for… ‘I don’t like her’,” she chuckled again. “Look… Minah is actually pretty innocent. I won’t surprise if she can’t differentiate her feelings, between admirations and… like. She talks a lot about Baekhyun, but it’s similar with how she talked about Kyungsoo before. But when she talks about you…”

 

Jongin glanced at Bomi from the corner of his eyes, refusing to show his interest any more.

 

“… Let’s just say she put more emotion,” Bomi smiled sweetly, too sweet, at Jongin. 

 

Jongin stared. And then scoffed. “… You mean she badmouths me.”

 

“No… She only said it’s hilarious that you’re afraid of butterflies, she thinks it’s silly you still watch Pororo, it’s ridiculous how much you love chicken, it’s stupid how you think your skin is y,” Bomi stopped and leered at Jongin to see his reaction. Jongin was determined to not smile. “… The list is long, I can continue.”

 

Jongin focused his eyes at Monggu, which barking at- something, Jongin didn’t care.

 

He would not smile.

 

He would not smile just because Bang Minah talked about him and remembered the small details slipped between their conversations. 

 


 

Chanyeol tilted his head when he saw a familiar figure in front of him, putting packs of ramen into the cart she held. “Seyeon?”

 

The long-haired girl turned around. “Oh, Chanyeol!”

 

“What are you doing? Shopping? Isn’t it a little bit far from your house?” Chanyeol inched closer and peeked over her shoulder to see Seyeon’s cart.

 

“Ah, yes, but the convenience store near our house doesn’t sell this brand of ramen,” Seyeon showed Chanyeol the ramen she just put into the cart. “What about you?”

 

Chanyeol showed his cart which only contained his basic needs of food; rice, bread, milk, egg, ramen, and cereal. He shrugged when Seyeon gave him a judging stare, “I’m going to eat dinner at Suho Hyung and Sehun’s house anyway.”


 “You really like to eat dinner at people’s house, aren’t you… Weren’t you at Jongin’s house a couple days ago?” Seyeon furrowed her eyebrows, because Chanyeol already eat at her and Bomi’s house a few times too.

 

Chanyeol just grinned, the he remembered something. “Hey, have Sehun apologized to you yet?” Chanyeol asked. “Ah, sorry, Jongin and Sehun talked about it once, and I was there…,” he quickly apologized when he sensed Seyeon’s discomfort.

 

“No, it’s not that…,” Seyeon waved her hand. “I actually think he’s not at fault. It was me…”

 

Chanyeol looked at Seyeon. “… Is it about Suho Hyung?” he asked. Seyeon smiled weakly as the answer. “If it’s about Suho Hyung… Sehun probably doesn’t realize he’s doing it.”

 

Seyeon raised her eyebrows, didn’t really get what Chanyeol meant. 

 

Chanyeol scratched his head. “We all know that Suho Hyung is overprotective towards Sehun, but actually the feeling’s mutual. I think… This is only my opinion, okay. But I think one of the reason Suho Hyung never into deep relationship, well not that we know of, is because Sehun dislike the girls. He didn’t say it out loud… But it just showed. And Hyung… Well, he always puts Sehun first above everything else. Maybe Sehun does it unconsciously, or maybe Hyung does it unconsciously…,” Chanyeol shrugged.

 

Seyeon looked up at Chanyeol. “… why are you telling me this?”

 

“Cause... we’re… kind of… friends?” Chanyeol said slowly, unsure. “Besides, I like seeing you with Hyung. He smiles a lot when he’s with you.”

 

“He’s always smiling.”

 

Chanyeol cocked his head and gave Seyeon a loop-sided smile. It seemed Seyeon’s not the only one who noticed the thing about Suho’s smiles.

 

“Chanyeol.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“… Thank you.”

 

That’s the second time Chanyeol heard Seyeon’s genuine thank.

 


 

When Sehun walked out from his cram school that night, he stopped and stared at the pouring rain in front of him. He stared and stared but it didn’t seem the rain would stop anytime soon, so Sehun fixed the position of his shoulder-bag, shoved his hands in his pocket and braced himself to walk through the rain. But then Sehun locked eyes with someone under a white umbrella. She walked to him, giving him a weak smile before lifting the umbrella for Sehun to join her.  

 

Sehun didn’t mean to be so obvious about him contemplating, but he unconsciously stared and she saw the hesitation.

 

“Can we talk?” she asked.

 

Sehun glanced. Finally he ducked in and took over the umbrella from her hand so he could put the umbrella in a comfortable height for him.

 

“Bomi told me you like the coffee shop in this street? Should we go there?”

 

Sehun nodded quietly.

 

The coffee shop was just a five minutes walk from Sehun’s cram school, but somehow the walk felt longer that night, and the silent between them was suffocating. Sehun loosened his uniform’s tie.

 

They arrived at the coffee shop, and he pushed the door open for her. They took the table near the window, and while she ordered hot coffee, Sehun asked for milk tea.

 

“You’re not hungry? You can order anything, you know, I’ll pay.”

 

When Sehun refused, she ordered some donuts and bagels for both of them.

 

She asked about Sehun’s study, his cram school, whether he already decided which university and what major Sehun would take. Small talks, Sehun knew. She waited until all their orders arrived before she spoke out what’s in her mind.

 

“Sehun…,” she started, putting down her cup of coffee and Sehun stiffened, unconsciously holding his breath. Seyeon stared directly at his eyes. “Do you hate me?”

 

Sehun let go the breath he’s been holding. “.. I already told you, Noona, I don’t hate you… If it’s about that day, I want to say sorry—”

 

“Don’t!” Seyeon cut him. “I don’t- I mean, I’m the one who should apologize…,” she raised her hand to make Sehun stop trying to talk. She tried to control her heartbeat, taking a deep breath and exhaled. Her long hair was pulled into a ponytail, but some loose strands were there on her face, which a little bit red because of her emotion.

 

“… I didn’t want to like Joonmyeon,” Seyeon said, never leaving her stare from Sehun’s eyes – because even though he has a poker face, people said eyes were the window to one’s soul and she needed an honest answer from the younger boy. “I know his type. I don’t care about his past, or whatever Jongin said about Kim Joonmyeon is a good mad. The fact is he’s a ladies-man, and I don’t like men like him. And I’m not that naïve to think I will be the one that able to change him, that our story will be different.”

 

Sehun looked down at his glass, stirring the beverage mindlessly. 

 

“… but I was wrong… because I like him. I like him so much.”

 

The stirring stopped. Slowly, Sehun raised his gaze to meet Seyeon’s.

 

“I like him so much, that I become that naïve girl. You said he needs someone that willing, trying to stay for him…”

 

“… and you want to try,” Sehun finished her words.

 

Seyeon took a deep breath before answering, “Yes.”

 

“… What if Hyung is not like what you have in mind? What if he’s not perfect? What if, the person you fall in love with, is a mere idea of ‘Kim Joonmyeon’ that you want to see?”

 

“I know he smiles as a habit, something he does instinctively,” Seyeon said carefully. She noticed that Sehun’s grip on his spoon got a little tighter. “… Kim Joonmyeon in my mind isn’t perfect, and I like him for that. I know that you’re worried for him, Sehun… but it’s time to let go.”

 

He startled so bad that his knee knocked the table up, almost making his glass fell.

 

“W-What?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Seyeon blurted out seeing his reaction. “I know your good attention, you don’t want Joonmyeon got hurt if I— If anyone ever leave him again, but—” Seyeon was desperate for words.

 

“But you want a chance,” again, Sehun helped her finishing her sentence.  

 

Seyeon nodded.

 

They were both quiet for a while – Sehun with his own mind and Seyeon waited for him to make up his mind.

 

Sehun suppressed the urge to run away. He wet his lower lips with his tongue. “… okay.”

 

Seyeon couldn’t help the smile that now occupying her beautiful face.

 

“But…,” Sehun swallowed and Seyeon’s smile faltered a little, “… what if it will be you…?  What if it will be you that got hurt instead of Joonmyeon Hyung? Will you be alright?”

 

Sehun looked at Seyeon’s eyes and he knew the answer.

 


 

The rain was already stopped when they stepped out from the coffee shop, Seyeon smiled more than before and she looked happy. Sehun didn’t look any different, but his shoulders showed that he’s more relaxed.

 

“I heard that EXO will perform again sometime this month?” Seyeon asked before they parted. Sehun nodded. “You will be there?” Sehun nodded again. Even though he’s no longer playing – Suho took over the bass – he still came when EXO perform. “Okay, well, I’ll see you there, then!” Seyeon smiled widely. “Be careful on your way home, Sehun-ah!” she waved her hand before walking to the opposite direction of Sehun.

 

Sehun’s waving hand stopped in the middle of the air when Seyeon called him ‘Sehun-ah’. He stared at Seyeon’s back that getting further and smaller – he had the mind to take her home, it’s already night-time anyway, but Sehun didn’t do it.

 

He just kept on staring at Seyeon’s back until she’s disappeared into the night.

 

Only then Sehun started to walk home. 

 

Later that night, Sehun took out the booklets and pamphlets of universities and colleges he got from an exhibition in his school. He found the one he’s looking for, the one with big capital words in the front, SM College of Music and Dance Performance.

 

Sehun opened the booklet, trying to find what he read the first time he opened it.

 

His finger stopped tracing the lines of words. There, under the bold word of ‘Facility’, were two words that made Sehun pondered.

 

Student Dormitory

 

Slowly and quietly, Sehun closed the booklet, stacked it with the others, and put them all back into his drawer.

 

 


 

Chanyeol looked down into the display window where many types of jewelries presented neatly next to each other; rings with big rock, elegant bracelets, heavy-looking necklaces, and lots of accessories. After pondering for a moment outside the store, he took a deep breath and decided to man-up and walked into the store. The salesgirl behind the counter looked up upon his arrival, and Chanyeol gulped unconsciously seeing her – her clothes was so pristine and her hair was made into a formal bun, everything about her screamed professionalism and it’s just made Chanyeol even more nervous. It’s his first time buying jewelry for a girl.

 

“Welcome. Can I help you?” the salesgirl gave him a courtesy smile, and Chanyeol rubbed his nose nervously as he inched closer to the counter.

 

“Umm… I’m looking for a… present… for a girl…,” he added, just in case.

 

Again, the salesgirl smiled to him, and this time her smiled look more honest, and somewhat understanding. “A girlfriend, perhaps?”

 

“Err…,” Chanyeol cleared his throat. “No… But I hope it’ll change… with the gift…,” he said slowly, embarrassed by his own words as his cheeks started to heat up.

 

“I see. May I ask how old is she? And what kind of girl she is? Maybe I can help you find a suitable present for her,” the salesgirl said.

 

“Ah… Um, she’s 21… And… Well, she’s cheerful? She’s nice, like, really nice… Not too flashy… She likes to take pictures, and uh, I’m not helping am I?” Chanyeol asked in defeated tone.

 

The salesgirl chuckled lightly. “Do you want a ring? This model was just out two weeks ago, and it’s popular between young girls…,” she took out a ring from the counter.

 

Chanyeol took a look at the ring and realized he didn’t want to give Bomi a ring – yet. He spent quite some time looking into the store’s collection, until his eyes stopped at one particular bracelet. He looked up to the salesgirl. “Um, excuse me? Can I look at this… No, the other one. Yes, that one.”

 

The salesgirl handed him the bracelet, a very simple one, silver chain with an infinity symbol as a pendant. Chanyeol stared at the bracelet and traced the symbol with his finger. “… do you think it’s too simple?” he asked the salesgirl. Any opinion would be better than no opinion at all, and hey, it’s from a girl too.

 

“Not at all, the symbol already speaks for itself,” the salesgirl smiled at Chanyeol. “I’m sure she will like it.”

 

Chanyeol knew that it’s her job to talk smoothly and sell the products, but still, he felt happy with his choice.

 

And he wished that Bomi would like the present. 

 


 

“Hey,” Kyungsoo opened the door and let Chanyeol shuffled his way into his house. Earlier Chanyeol was already called him, asking if he could drop by as he had something he wanted to talk about. Kyungsoo was tense, he wondered if Chanyeol already found out about him and Bomi. He knew it bound to happen someday and he should just tell him already, but he still needed to sort out his own feelings, because his feelings were a mess; towards Bomi and towards Chanyeol. He just couldn’t tell Chanyeol. But seeing Chanyeol’s nervous smile when Kyungsoo opened the door, it seemed like whatever he wanted to talk about wasn’t about Kyungsoo and Bomi.

 

They went straight to Kyungsoo’s room as always, and Chanyeol immediately sat in his bed while Kyungsoo took the chair.

 

“So, what do you want to talk about?” Kyungsoo asked

 

“Hmm…,” Chanyeol intertwined his fingers together and stared at it.

 

He’s became much closer to Bomi lately after Bomi’s breakdown; Chanyeol felt Bomi’s opened up to him more. He knew he’s quite gambling here, but Chanyeol thought it’s time to tell Bomi about his feelings. Bomi should already know about it, but Chanyeol wanted her to know how much. How much he liked her, how much he wanted to be with her all the time, how much he needed her. If Bomi’s still in the process of forgetting her ex-boyfriend, it’s okay for Chanyeol. Because he’s pretty sure Bomi had feelings for him too – or at least he hoped she did.

 

And he came to Kyungsoo because, well, he’s her best friend right? Maybe they’re not as close as they used to be, but Kyungsoo should still know her better than Chanyeol. Chanyeol wanted to ask about his opinion, and perhaps some tips about what she liked and what not, maybe even help him prepare something special for the confession.         

 

Kyungsoo stared at Chanyeol. “What is it?”

 

Chanyeol grimaced. He’s already nervous enough about the Bomi things, and it’s not helping that Chanyeol felt lately Kyungsoo became more distant – the short boy always had this quiet, calm aura on him that made him seem unapproachable, but Chanyeol felt it got worse lately. He didn’t know why, he couldn’t exactly explain it either, but Kyungsoo seemed most distant with him.

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat. It’s not the time for worry about Kyungsoo – it’s probably only Chanyeol’s stupid mind anyway. “Actually, Kyung—”

 

“Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol’s words were cut off by the call made by Kyungsoo’s mother from downstairs.   

 

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows. “Wait a minute.”

 

Chanyeol nodded and Kyungsoo left him alone. He took the time to calm himself, looking around Kyungsoo’s room even though he had been there multiple times.

 

A minute later Kyungsoo dashed in into his room, sweeping up his phone from his desk, “My mom told me to buy something so I’ll be out for a while, it’s okay right?” he asked while looking around for his wallet.

 

Chanyeol followed Kyungsoo’s movement with his eyes. “Should I go with you?”

 

Kyungsoo found his wallet and pocketed it. “No, I’ll be quick.”

 

“Okay,” the taller boy nodded from his seat in Kyungsoo’s bed. “Oh hey, can I use your laptop while you’re out?” he pointed to Kyungsoo’s opened laptop in the desk; the screen showing Kyungsoo’s paper he was working at before Chanyeol came. 

 

“Yeah, go ahead.”

 

“Be safe,” Chanyeol managed to say before Kyungsoo walked out.

 

He sat on Kyungsoo chair and played with his laptop for a while to kill time, browsing through Kyungsoo’s collection of music and movies before he got bored. Suddenly an idea popped in his head – he wondered if Kyungsoo had on his laptop? Chanyeol grinned when he check the option ‘Show hidden files and folders’. Maybe little Kyungie wasn’t that innocent after all.

 

Chanyeol opened the folders randomly to check if there’s a hidden files in those folders, propping his chin on his hand. 

 

His index finger on the mouse stopped clicking when he found a folder named ‘봄’ which previously hidden, in the photos folder.

 

Spring? Weird choice to name folder, Chanyeol thought as he clicked the folder open.

 

There were several other folders inside, labeled with the indication of the contents of the folder; ‘Primary School’, ‘Junior High’, ‘High School’. Chanyeol chuckled when he realized it’s probably only Kyungsoo’s photos from his school days, why Kyungsoo needed to put it hidden Chanyeol didn’t know. Maybe he’s embarrassed? Maybe they were embarrassing. Chanyeol grinned mischievously, preparing to laugh hard at Kyungsoo’s childhood photos. 

 

But there’s one folder, the newest one – based on the date it was the last summer – that labeled as ‘Summer’. Chanyeol decided to click the folder open. 

 

Photos of Bomi appeared on the screen.

 

Chanyeol frowned. “What…?” He clicked on the photos to take a better look.

 

The first photos looked like they’re taken at a park, with some random photos of kids playing football, but there are photos of Kyungsoo sat still in the swing, refused to look at the camera – even though he smiled to the camera in the last one – and there’s a lot photos of Bomi with many expressions – puffed cheeks, pouting, V-sign. The last photo in the park was a selca of Bomi and Kyungsoo together, and Chanyeol couldn’t help but to think they looked rather too close.

 

He managed to remember Kyungsoo attend his friend’s wedding with Bomi, so Chanyeol concluded that the photos were taken during their trip home.

 

The photos continued in some school, and Chanyeol started to feel… something; there were more photos of Bomi and Kyungsoo together, and the way they leaned onto each other naturally, not quite touching each other but a simple brush – there’s something else that Chanyeol couldn’t explain.

 

And again, there were photos of Kyungsoo – random photos where Kyungsoo didn’t even look at the camera. Kyungsoo from the side, Kyungsoo looking up to the sky, Kyungsoo’s shoes, Kyungsoo eating spaghetti – right after photos of Kyungsoo’s kimchi spaghetti. The last photo was Kyungsoo’s back, taken when he walked.

 

Chanyeol swallowed, he felt something nauseating whirled in his stomach.   

 

They’re best friends, Park Chanyeol, it’s normal for best friends to play together, he tried to remind himself.

 

He chose another folder; ‘Junior High 2nd Year – Field Trip’.

 

Again, photos of Bomi, or Bomi with Kyungsoo, appeared on the screen. They sat together in the bus, Bomi stuck out her tongue out while Kyungsoo stared blankly at the camera.

 

One folder after another – ‘Junior High 3rd Year – Festival, Junior High 3rd Year – Graduation’ – was filled with photos of either Bomi or the two together. If there were photos of Kyungsoo, they looked like taken by Bomi because the next photo in the same place was her photo.  

 

‘봄’

 

Bom. Spring.

 

It’s a photo folder for Bomi’s photos.

 

Chanyeol’s body trembled at the realization and he wanted to laugh. “Wait...,” he mumbled, his mouth was dry and his voice came out weird, even to his own ears. “Wait a minute... It can’t be...,” he chuckled darkly.

 

He shook his head to clear the thoughts, gathering his nerve when he dragged the mouse over to the folder ‘High School – Birthday’.

 


 

Kyungsoo was friendly, but he kept things for himself – he listened to his friends but he rarely talked about himself.

 

There was a time, a sleep over in Sehun’s house.

 

“Why did you reject that girl from the B class? She’s really beautiful, Soo!” Baekhyun started the heart-to-heart talk. “And she has a nice body!” Even though he never talked about it openly, they knew Kyungsoo had met up with several girls, but not once they proceed into a relationship. 

 

“I don’t like her,” Kyungsoo replied shortly.

 

Jongin snorted. “Just say that you can’t forget your ex yet.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t answer.

 

“Whaaaat? But it’s been a year? Really, Jongin?” Chanyeol asked curiosly. “Kyungsoo never tell me anything!”

 

“Why he should tell you,” Jongin just laughed when Chanyeol kicked him for being mean. “Just pay attention, Kyungsoo has this habit of talking about the girl randomly.”

 

“Is that true, Soo?” Baekhyun pestered Kyungsoo, who rolled over and gave his back to the rest of them. “You dated a Noona before, right, your girlfriend when you first came here? You broke up after... a couple months? That’s her?”

 

Now, Chanyeol remembered, Kyungsoo never answered the question.  

 

Then Chanyeol remembered, when Kyungsoo finally answered the question a year later, just a few months back.

 

“She’s not the one I can’t forget.”

 

And now, staring at Kyungsoo’s laptop’s screen, Chanyeol felt like throwing up.

 


 

Kyungsoo turned the knob and let himself in to his house. “Mom? I’ve got you the—”

 

Chanyeol was running down the stairs, and he stopped when he saw Kyungsoo. “You’re leaving?” Kyungsoo asked with furrowed eyebrows.

 

Chanyeol’s face was pale. “Y-yeah,” he answered, stepping forward and passing Kyungsoo without looking at him. “Something.... came up,” Chanyeol said, and Kyungsoo frowned deeper because Chanyeol’s voice sounded weird – like he’s choked or something. 

 

Kyungsoo stared when Chanyeol tied up his shoes frantically. “Are you okay?” Kyungsoo’s hand reached out to touch Chanyeol’s shoulder, but he was startled when Chanyeol slapped his hand away. “Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol looked equally surprised by his own action. “I-I’m...” He shook his head. “I have to go.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t have the chance to say anything more as Chanyeol already opened the door and sprinting out. He blinked, and slowly he walked to his own room. He looked around, and his eyes stopped at his laptop’s screen on the desk.

A picture of him, holding Bomi close in his arm while Bomi gave him a kiss on the cheek in front of his birthday cake, was staring back at Kyungsoo’s wide eyes.