Hot Season of the Year Part I

Closer, Closer

Friendly reminder: 7463 words ahead

 


 

Get a Grip, Park Chanyeol

 

Closer, Closer – Verbal Jint & As One

 

Finally, the day where EXO and the girls went to the beach arrived. They gathered in Chanyeol’s flat – which was EXO’s base because he’s the only one living alone – and after deciding who would take which car, they separated into two groups, proceeding to Baekhyun’s or Suho’s car.

 

Kyungsoo was helping Seyeon loading her bags to the car. Seyeon chose to ride with Suho’s car, separated from Bomi and Minah, and this was making Kyungsoo looked at her with unspoken question.

 

“Don’t ask,” Seyeon said before Kyungsoo could say anything. She only folded her arms in her chest, slightly pouting while watching Bomi and Minah loading into the other car.

 

Kyungsoo followed Seyeon’s stare, and then he chuckled when realization came to him. He shook his head, “Must be something to do about Bomi and Chanyeol, right?”

 

“That Bang Minah girl…,” Seyeon narrowed her eyes at Minah. Suddenly she turned to Kyungsoo, nonchalant. “Hmm, at least we have a lot to talk about.”

 

Kyungsoo cringed. He could already imagine the interrogation.

 

“Seyeon,” Suho approached them, standing behind Seyeon. “You should sit in the front.”

 

“No. I’ll just sit in the back,” Seyeon refused as she climbed to the back seat, not even looking at Suho’s direction. But Suho still smiled after her attitude.

 

“Well, I guess you’re the one who sit in the front,” Suho pat Kyungsoo’s arm. He checked his phone and read something before looked up at Kyungsoo. “Come on, Chanyeol will follow us.”

 


 

Chanyeol was just done fastening the seat-belt when he realized Bomi was staring at him with a smile. “… what?” he asked nervously, automatically running his fingers through his hair. Baekhyun and Minah in the back seat were already in beach-mode, singing Pado by UN out of their lungs.

 

“You cut your hair,” Bomi pointed out.

 

“Ah, yeah,” Chanyeol still raked his hair, trying to style it. Or mess it. Or whatever it was he’s trying to do. “It’s weird, right?”

 

“No?” Bomi tilted her head, looking intensely at Chanyeol that the boy felt the need to lower his gaze. “I like it?” she giggled, “Actually I like boys with short cut hairstyle. I think it makes them look neat and fresh. And you dyed it black too, right? It’s not weird at all, it’s cool.”

 

“Oh, yeah. Yeah. Thanks,” Chanyeol stuttered as he rubbed his nose. Baekhyun suddenly squeezed his shoulder, and Chanyeol could hear Baekhyun saying I told you so through the squeeze.

 

Baekhyun and Minah secretly did a horizontal high-five in the back seat – it was Minah who informed Baekhyun about Bomi’s favorite hairstyle.

 

Suho’s car drove past them, honking to signal the other car to follow. Chanyeol cleared his throat, before adjusting the gear and drove to the road.

 


 

Kyungsoo ended up as the driver while Suho slept in the passenger seat; they already agreed that Kyungsoo would drive first then changed half way. Inevitably, Kyungsoo’s mind went to Chanyeol that didn’t have any substitute driver. Then he thought Jongin should be in Chanyeol’s car – he just had his driving license. The next thing, Kyungsoo found himself thinking, But he got Bomi to accompany him.

 

Kyungsoo blinked at his own thought.  He shook his head, hoping it would shake away the thought.

 

He glanced to the rearview mirror, checking on the sleeping Jongin, before Kyungsoo noticed that Sehun didn’t sleep, only staring blankly to the front – he sat in the middle between Jongin and Seyeon.

 

“What’s the matter, Sehun-ah? You’re not motion sickness, aren’t you?” he asked worriedly. “I bring some medicine in my bag if you want.”

 

“No, I’m okay,” Sehun said, his eyes were heavy-lidded, but strangely he sat stiffly in his seat, straight back and perfect posture.

 

“Hmm…” His phone in his pocket vibrated, and Kyungsoo took it out with his right hand. He glanced; it was a message from Bomi. He frowned before handing his phone to Sehun, eyes on the road, “Sehun-ah, can you read it? It’s from Bomi… And I didn’t see their car, maybe there’s something…,” Kyungsoo checked the rearview mirror again.

 

Sehun took Kyungsoo’s phone with timid movements.

 

From: Bbom

Oppa, we’re stopping in a convenience store for a while. Chanyeol is resting his legs + I forgot to bring my toothbrush -___- Who’s driving? Chanyeol asked you guys to slow down and wait for us. I texted Seyeon but she doesn’t reply, is she sleeping? 

 

Sehun frowned a little after reading Bomi’s text message, but then he read Bomi’s message out loud.

 

Kyungsoo clucked. “… that girl, really…,” he murmured to himself. “Sehun-ah, just tell her we’ll wait, and…,” Kyungsoo glanced at the backseat, looking at Seyeon who’s sleeping with her head on Sehun’s shoulder. “… ah,” Kyungsoo realized the reason Sehun was so stiff. “If she’s heavy, just move her. Don’t worry, Seyeon won’t wake up.”

 

Sehun didn’t say anything, but his shoulders relaxed after Kyungsoo’s words. He typed in Kyungsoo’s phone, replying to Bomi’s message.

 

“Hyung,” Sehun called after he was done. “Why Hyeongsoonim calls you Oppa?”

 

There was a pause before Kyungsoo answered, “… Oh. She likes to do that. Sometimes she calls Seyeon ‘Unnie’, just playing cute and all.”

 

“Were the three of you close back then?” Sehun asked curiously.

 

“I guess? We were in the same class for three years, and we hang out a lot after school,” Kyungsoo explained. “Why?”

 

“Just because…”

 

Sehun was about to ask about Bomi’s name, ‘Bbom’, in Kyungsoo’s contact, but he thought maybe it was a best friend thing – like Chanyeol nicknaming Baekhyun as Bacon or Baekhyun nicknaming Chanyeol as Giant. He proceed to remember Kyungsoo always naming people in his contact with their full name, even Jongin, but now he’s too sleepy to care.

 

And then Sehun dozed off.

 


 

From: DKS

Kyungsoo Hyung is driving & Seyeon Noona is sleeping. Tell Chanyeol Hyung to drive safely. Sehun

 

“What did Kyungsoo said?” Chanyeol asked, leaning on to Bomi while drinking his canned-coffee. Both of them were walking to the car from the convenience store.

 

“Ah, no, it’s Sehun. Kyungsoo is driving. Sehun asked you to drive safely. What a sweet kid,” Bomi put her phone back to his tote bag. Chanyeol snorted beside her, seemed like he didn’t agree with Bomi’s opinion. “Umm, sorry, Seyeon already nagged me this morning, and I swore I packed everything, but…,” Bomi grimaced. “I’m always bad at packing.”

 

“Naah, it’s okay, my feet are getting sore anyway.”

 

They climbed back to the car, where Baekhyun and Minah slept in the back seat. Although the space was big enough, both of them bent their head to the middle seat, making their heads almost touch each other.

 

“Finally, some peace…,” Chanyeol mumbled to the quietness in the car. Baekhyun loved to sing, and Minah loved to be his duet slash backing vocal, depended on the song. On ordinary days it would be Chanyeol’s role, but today he was busy driving and touching his new hair and for some reason he’s being over conscious of every move he made.

 

Bomi took out her camera and captured the image of Baekhyun and Minah sleeping. She checked the result and giggled to herself, showing it to Chanyeol before he drove the car. After a while, Bomi directed her camera at Chanyeol and took a shoot.

 

“Hm? What?” Chanyeol glanced out of the corner of his eyes. “Ahhh, again, again! I’m not posing!”

 

Bomi laughed. “Why you need to pose?” But she took another shoot of Chanyeol, where Chanyeol flashed his signature teeth and pulled up his thumb, even though his eyes still facing the road.

 

“Bomi, you don’t want to sleep?” Chanyeol asked when he noticed Bomi un-wrapping the ice cream she just bought. “Maybe it’ll take 3 more hours until we reached the lodge, you should sleep.”

 

“I’m co-piloting you,” Bomi grinned. “It’ll be lonely, driving alone.”

 

“Co-pilot?” Chanyeol laughed. “Thank you, but, really, you can sleep if you want.”

 

Bomi shook her head. “… you want some?” instead, she offered her ice cream to Chanyeol, held it in front of Chanyeol’s mouth to bite.

 

“Um,” Chanyeol took a bite without thinking. “Hhnnng!” he shuddered from the frost-bite.

 

“What’s this? Your bite is so big!” Bomi protested as she continued to eat the ice cream, right at the part where Chanyeol bit it.

 

Chanyeol glanced because of Bomi’s protest, but his eyes caught Bomi’s act.

 

INDIRECT KISS was his immediate though. Hey wait. Why am I getting worked up over THAT? I mean, I kissed that lips before…

 

At that moment Bomi her lips–

 

Oh .

 

–and Chanyeol’s mind flooded with a lot of things at once.

 

“… Chanyeol, red light, RED LIGHT!” Bomi shouted while shaking Chanyeol’s arm, sending the boy back to the world. He hit the brake at the last moment, right in time for the car to stop before collided with the car in front of them.

 

Bomi’s face turned pale when she saw the slight gap between the two cars. “… was the ice cream too cold?” she grabbed a tissue and wiped Chanyeol’s mouth before Chanyeol took over and wiped his mouth by himself – he spitted some of ice cream to the dashboard in the rush.

 

“Sorry, wasn’t paying attention… Sorry,” he mumbled, slapping himself in his mind.

 

“What happened?” Baekhyun groggily asked from the back seat, the disturbance has woken him and Minah up – both were jerked up.

 

“No, nothing, sorry, my fault, go back to sleep,” Chanyeol mumbled some more.

 

“That’s it, no more ice cream for you,” Bomi decided.

 

“Yeah. Yeah, I agree,” Chanyeol agreed immediately.

 


 

After half and an hour of lame jokes, some attempts of tongue twisters, several hey-do-you-know-this-ghost-story and a lot of rambles, Bomi and Chanyeol fell into silence, with Baekhyun’s soft snore and the radio as their background.

 

Then 4minute’s What’s Your Name started to play in the radio, and Bomi flicked her fingers.

 

“Ah. I can do an impersonation of Hyuna,” she said confidently, intrigued by 4minute’s song. 

 

“What? Really?” Chanyeol showed interest. “Don’t lie!”

 

“I’m not lying! You know her duet with Beast’s Hyungseung, Trouble Maker? If you sing Hyungseung’s part, I’ll sing Hyuna’s part,” Bomi tried to convince Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol looked Bomi with doubt, but his curiosity beat him. “Okay. I’ll sing. You have to treat me if your impersonation failed.” He cleared his throat before singing, his deep voice echoed in the car, “When I look into your eyes, I’m a trouble maker.”

 

Bomi continued, purposely making her sound nasal, When I’m next to you, I’m trouble maker…

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened before he erupted into a big laugh, his hands were smacking the wheels and his face was out of control; twitched eyes and scrunched nose. “You… you… You’re the best!” Chanyeol wiped the tears away from his eyes. Bomi only grinned shyly beside him.

 

“… what now…?” Minah’s voice was heard behind them, Chanyeol’s chortle woke her up.

 

“Sorry!” Chanyeol said between his continuing laugh. “But this girl here…” He still laughed.

 

“I’m sorry, Minah-yah,” Bomi turned her head and clapped her hands in front of her face, “Just sleeps more? It’s still far from the beach.”

 

“... what’s so funny…,” Minah muttered, turned around and found a better position to sleep.

 

“Ya, you crazy guy,” Bomi hit Chanyeol’s arm, blaming him for the ruckus.

 

“How come it’s my fault? It’s because of you!”

 

More failed impersonations from both parties before they stopped talking, tired from all the laughs.  Bomi could see Suho’s car in front of them, and suddenly she remembered Seyeon; Seyeon and her mysterious relationship with Suho, to be exact. Seyeon never mentioned Suho in front of Bomi, and it made Bomi wondered. As far as Bomi knew, the only time Seyeon met Suho was during EXO’s performance that one time. Suho was Seyeon’s sunbae, but still, Seyeon never mentioned to ever meet the leader again.

 

“Hey, Chanyeol...,” Bomi called him. “Does Suho Oppa have a girlfriend?” Bomi trying to asked casually.

 

“Hm? Suho Hyung? … Hmmmmm...,” the hesitation and the long pause made Bomi looked at Chanyeol. “Suho Hyung… girlfriend… No, I don’t think so.” Then he added when Bomi still looking at him, “At least, not that I know of. Hyung doesn’t talk much about himself. Why?”

 

“Just curious. How about the other members?” Bomi quickly asked to divert the suspicion.

 

“All of EXO’s members are currently single,” Chanyeol sighed. “Oh, except this guy over here,” he motioned his head towards Baekhyun in the back. “He’s not exactly taken, but, how to say it… Hm, right now he’s not interested in relationship, but he hangs around girls a lot. He has a lot of girl friends, and some of relationships are… questionable.”

 

“Really? Even Sehun is single?”

 

“Why so surprised?”

 

“Because Sehun is… like, very handsome?”

 

Chanyeol chuckled. “He is, right? Wait, don’t tell Sehun I said that. But Sehun is as pure as the snow. And don’t tell him that too! Sehunnie has never date anyone. Come to think about it, I never knew if Sehun has a crush or not…” And then, without being asked, Chanyeol spilled the love life of s. “Ah, Jongin just broke up a couple months back. It was with a dongsaeng, and Jongin hasn’t mentioned any other girl since then. For Baek, he did have a girlfriend back in high school, but after that girl he became like this. Suho Hyung is a charming guy, even his relationships are mysterious. He was with the student body president a lot, one of the prettiest girl in school, people said they were together, but if we asked him Hyung only smiled… And then Kyungsoo-”

 

Bomi felt her heart stop beating for a slight second.

 

“-he didn’t have a girlfriend in high school after he moved. I only knew he dated a Noona before… Oh, but Bomi, you’re his friend, you know better,” Chanyeol looked at Bomi.    


“Umm… like Seyeon said, we went to different high school… What about you, Chanyeol?” Bomi just wanted to change the topic of the conversation.

 

“M-me? Ah…,” Chanyeol scratched his nose. He seemed like contemplating on whether to tell Bomi or not. In the end, he decided to. “… Actually, a few months ago, there is this girl… She’s a fan, and she approached me first. We hang out a few times, then… Hm, she said I’m not like what she thought I would be… She thought I’m a cool guy, you know, cause I’m tall and my voice is deep. She said I looked like someone’s on crack cause I always laugh,” Chanyeol let out an awkward laugh. “I’ve heard similar talks before… I always look high… or my smile is creepy… My high school friends already know this and they think of me as a friend only, while the girls from outside school… well, they expected me to be like the guy in their dreams, which I am not.”

 

Chanyeol concluded his story with a smile – a different kind of smile than his usual.

 

Bomi frowned upon listening to Chanyeol’s story. “What’s with that? That’s very rude,” she sputtered. “I know the feeling. A lot of people have been telling me that I laugh like an old man. They told me to be more girly, to mind my image… Why? I’m happy, why can’t I show them my feelings? Right?”

 

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows, thinking about Bomi’s idea. “Huh… you’re right.”

 

“So don’t worry!” Bomi planted a small punch on Chanyeol’s arm. “It’s their loss, not yours.”

 

Chanyeol turned to her, elated. His big eyes narrowed but they were beaming, showing his gratitude to Bomi’s words.

 

But Bomi stared back him a little too long that it made Chanyeol worried. “What? What is it? It’s really creepy, isn’t it?” he asked when Bomi still staring at him without saying anything. “I’ll stop smiling from now on.”

 

“… what? Ah, no. No! It’s not creepy at all. It’s just…,” Bomi turned away, trying to hide the rush of red in her cheeks. She always thought Chanyeol was cute, but his last smile just now…

 

“It’s just…?” Chanyeol repeated, nervous.

 

Bomi was playing with her fingers, unable to look at Chanyeol. “... please don’t stop smiling…,” Bomi mumbled. “I think…,” she lowered her head even lower and her voice kept softened that Chanyeol needed to lean a little bit to hear her. “… you look nice when you smile…”

 

Chanyeol couldn’t see Bomi’s face, but he saw her red ears, and that sent him to blush too. He snorted, trying to focus on the road.

 

Park Chanyeol smiled a little brighter for the rest of the day. 

 


 

… And You Too, Do Kyungsoo

 

I Like You – Infinite

 

They arrived at the lodge Suho rented for them.

 

“Badaaaaaaa~!!!” Baekhyun and Minah screamed to the beach as soon as they jumped out from the car. For a person who initially only tagged along to help his best friend and said ‘I sacrifice my summer holiday just for getting you a girlfriend’, Baekhyun sure looked thrilled with their holiday.

 

Suho stood beside Baekhyun and the boy’s back, trying to calm the kid down. However his attention was directed at his phone as he typed something.

 

Kyungsoo looked around and his eyes drifted to Chanyeol and Bomi, laughing together as Chanyeol carried Bomi’s bags. Someone ruffled his hair, distracting him, and Kyungsoo looked up to Jongin in his side. Kyungsoo gave him a weak, thankful smile to tell him he’s okay.

 

Seyeon was stretching her neck when she saw Suho, concentration directed at his phone. He locked his phone, put it back in his pocket, and he noticed her looking at him. Suho sent her a smile. Seyeon remained indifferent.

 

“Baek!” Chanyeol who already went into the lodge shouted to his best friend, “Come on, you have to check this out!”

 

Baekhyun rushed inside followed by Minah, and soon all of them already inside the lodge.

 

“Wooow, Hyung, are you sure we only need to pay for that amount for all of this?!” Baekhyun asked after he done investigating the lodge. “How much is the discount?”

 

Suho smiled and winked at him. “You don’t need to know.”

 

The lodge was quite spacious, with their own kitchen, dining room, living room, and three bedrooms with extra beds. The girls of course got one room, while the boys divided themselves into the other two rooms.

 

“Should I order food here or we’ll eat in the beach?” Suho asked them, already holding a menu from the dining room.

 

“Eat in the beach!!!” Baekhyun, Minah, and Chanyeol answered in union.

 

“Okay. Let’s change and go to the beach, then.”

 


 

Minah fell down with a painful shriek, and her friends rushed to her side. They’ve been playing volley ball in the beach, before Minah tried to block the ball and twisted the wrong way.

 

“I’m really sorry, are you okay?” Kyungsoo asked in a worry and guilty tone. He was the one who smash the ball to Minah.

 

Minah didn’t say anything, instead she glared at Kyungsoo. “My ankle hurts,” she turned to Bomi, in the verge of tears.

 

“Minah-yah…”

 

“Looks like you sprained your ankle,” Seyeon said after checking Minah’s ankle.

 

“We should compress her leg and bandage it,” Suho added.

 

“Ah, I bring some first aid in the lodge,” Kyungsoo quickly said, a little bit relieved.

 

“I’ll take you back to the lodge,” Bomi squatted next to Minah, getting ready to help her. But Minah’s eyes widened instead over this offer, and she quickly refused.

 

“No no no! You should play with Cha- Just play with the boys! I’m okay, Seyeon can take me, cause she doesn’t like to play, right Seyeon?” Minah turned to Seyeon with hopeful eyes.

 

Seyeon resisted her urge to roll her eyes. Maybe that’s why she didn’t seem genuine when she said, “She’s right, Bomi, I can take care of her. I prefer to stay in-door anyway.”

 

“Are you sure?” Bomi still confirming it to Minah with worried look.

 

“Um! Don’t worry!” Minah tried to smile, but she winced when the pain in her ankle throbbed.

 

“Come,” Seyeon took Minah’s arm and slung it on her neck. “Ready?” She tried to lift Minah up after Minah hummed in confirmation, but as soon as Minah stood up the pain struck her, and she let out a shriek, falling back to the sand.

 

“Just let me help-”

 

Minah cut Bomi, “No! Really! Just enjoy your time here!”

 

“But-”

 

“I’ll help,” Kyungsoo mumbled. He reached out to Minah, but to everyone’s surprise, Minah pushed him away, refused to be helped by Kyungsoo. She glared at him with an angry expression. “Ah, sorry,” Kyungsoo muttered as he stepped back.  

 

“Minah?” Bomi furrowed her eyebrows seeing Minah’s reaction.  

 

Jongin who stood behind Kyungsoo didn’t missed Minah’s dirty look at Kyungsoo, and he had it enough. With anger he stepped forward to Minah, bent, and scooped her up on the waist, carrying her on his shoulder. 

 

Minah squealed as Jongin lifted her body, and her first reaction was punching Jongin’s back with her fists. “What are you doing!? Let me down!”

 

“Just shut up,” Jongin hissed coldly, holding Minah’s waist and legs so she couldn’t kick around. He glanced at Seyeon for a split second, before walking away to the lodge.

 

“I’ll see you later,” Seyeon smiled to Bomi, and followed Jongin.  

 

Everyone was too surprised to say anything, and they could only stare at Jongin’s and Seyeon’s back.  

 

“Wow, what happened with Jongin?” Baekhyun was the first to talk, wondering. “I’ve never seen him look angrier…”

 


 

“Put me down!” Minah still yelling and hitting Jongin’s back all the way to the lodge. Jongin didn’t care, he walked in big steps, followed by Seyeon who also wasn’t bothered by Minah’s tantrum. “Ya! You! Put me down right now!”

 

Seyeon walked ahead of Jongin to unlock the lodge’s door, and she turned to Jongin with raised eyebrows. “You totally could dump her here and let her crawl inside,” Seyeon suggested. Jongin only clucked as the respond.

 

They went it, Minah still struggling in Jongin’s shoulder. The boy opened girls’ room and he threw Minah on the bed.

 

“Kyaa!” Minah squealed when she hit the bed. Her face showed pain from her ankle, but she quickly looked up at Jongin in the end of the bed, furious, “YA! What is wrong with you?!”

 

“What is wrong with you?!” unexpectedly, Jongin yelled back, not less pissed than Minah.

 

Seyeon heard the ruckus and had no intention to interfere. Instead she walked away from the room, looking for the first aid Kyungsoo talked about.

 

“Kyungsoo was sorry and he only wanted to help you! Why are you being rude to him?” Jongin had his hands on his hips, eyes glaring down at Minah, didn’t care at all that the opponent was a girl – with a sprained ankle too.

 

“Because I don’t like him, why do you care?!” Minah shouted, throwing dagger with her eyes. The injury clearly didn’t affect her temper at all.

 

Seyeon found the first aid in Kyungsoo’s bag.

 

“What Kyungsoo ever did to you? You barely knew him!” continued.

 

“He’s a bad guy!” still continued. “He broke up with Bomi!”

 

Seyeon checked her watch, wondering how long the bickering would continue.

 

“What? Just because he broke up with Bomi-ssi that made him a bad guy?! Where’s your logic? Do you even know the real story?!” fuming.

 

“I DO! Do you?!” raging.

 

Seyeon was thinking over dinner when she realized it was all quiet now in the room next-door.

 

Both Jongin and Minah were panting from their anger, staring into each other in deadly silence. No one wanted to be the one who looked away – as if it would be sign of losing.

 

It was Jongin who finally broke away, and Minah already smiling a victory smile when Jongin turned to her, “You better apologized to Kyungsoo,” he said with a warning look before walking away. “And lose some weight!” he added only to pissed off Minah.

 

“… WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!” Minah shouted at Jongin’s back.

 

Seyeon came into the room after Jongin left. “You know, I think he has a point.”

 

“Seyeon, NO!” Minah growled, throwing herself in the pillow behind her. “Ugggh I hate that guy!!!” she kicked the bed with her healthy leg. “… ACK!” and accidently moving her sprained ankle in the process.

 

“Who told you to move around?” Seyeon scolded her. She took out the bandage from Kyungsoo’s bag. “Ah, I should compress your ankle with ice first…”

 

At that time Jongin went back in, carrying a basin with him. He dropped it in the table, changing disgusted look with Minah, and left again without a word. 

 

Seyeon peeked into the basin, there’s water with a lot of ice cubes in it. “Oh, look, what a considerate young man,” Seyeon turned to Minah with a fake smile. “I’m afraid you have to thank him later.”

 

“Aaaargghh!” Minah screamed her frustration into the pillow.

 


 

Jongin went back to the beach, where the others still in the same place. “How was Minah?” Bomi approached him before he reached them.

 

“She’ll live,” Jongin scoffed, still irritated from earlier. But then he realized he was being rude, so he muttered, “I mean… she’s okay. Still kicking and screaming.”

 

Bomi made an apologetic smile towards Jongin. “That’s Minah. Sorry.”

 

Jongin just shook his head, telling her it’s not a problem – not Bomi’s problem, at least.

 

Baekhyun, in the meantime, was secretly kicking Chanyoel’s leg. When the taller boy turned to him confused, Baekhyun tilted his head to Bomi with a meaningful expression. He widened his eyes to Chanyeol, giving him signal to make a move. When Chanyeol mouthed back WHAT?, Baekhyun rolled his eyes and finally pushed Chanyeol towards Bomi.

 

“Hm?” Bomi turned around.

 

“A-ah, umm,” Chanyeol needed to find his balance before he stood properly in front of Bomi. He scratched his head and cleared his throat. “B-Bomi, do you want to… emm, surfing… I mean, can you…? Ehm, I can- I see- Surf- Rent-”

 

Baekhyun shut his eyes in despair, unable to look at his friend’s failure.

 

Chanyeol rubbed his nose and cleared his throat again. “You see… we can rent surfboard there… Do you want to… try surfing? I’ve tried it once and maybe… Y-yeah, do you want to?” finally Chanyeol could make his sentence quite understandable. 

 

“Surfing? Sure! Sounds fun!” but Bomi didn’t seem to notice the struggle. She turned to the other boys, “How about it? Anyone wants to join us?”

 

Sehun almost stepped up, “I-”

 

“WE,” Baekhyun grabbed Sehun’s shoulder and pulled him back, “will play jet ski, all five of us.”  

 

Sehun frowned. “But-”

 

“Right?” Baekhyun slung his arm in Sehun’s neck, “Sehunnie?” he stared at the younger, hoping Sehun would catch the signal. Baekhyun added the pressure in his arm.

 

Sehun frowned deeper, but then he understood. “Yes,” he turned to Bomi. “I want to ride jet ski with Hyung.”

 

“Ouw…,” Bomi pouted. “No one wants to join us?” she turned to Suho, who smiled at her while shaking his head, to Jongin, who didn’t respond, and even to Kyungsoo, who remained still.

 

“Now, go, you two! Have fun!” Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol’s and Bomi’s back, forcing them to leave. He sent them off with a big grin on his face, a hint of satisfaction was clearly seen on his smile.

 

Jongin glanced at Kyungsoo from the corner of his eyes. Kyungsoo was staring at the direction of Bomi and Chanyeol. He bent to whisper in Kyungsoo’s ear, “Do you want me to join them?” he offered softly.

 

Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin and sighed. “Jongin, I’m really okay. If you want to surf, you should go with them. Not because of me. I’m fine,” he patted Jongin’s shoulder.  

 

“I want hot dog,” Sehun poked Baekhyun’s side, demanded compensation for his cooperation with Baekhyun.

 

“You brat…,” Baekhyun stared at the maknae from head to toe. But still, he dragged Sehun to the hot dog vendor.

 


 

Suho and Baekhyun went back to the lodge a little bit later than the other three because they went shopping for food. The leader lingered in the living room, while Baekhyun immediately dashed to the kitchen; he found Jongin bugging Kyungsoo there.

 

“Oh, wow,” Jongin raised his eyebrows seeing what Baekhyun carried. The other boy was carrying plastics of snacks on crates of beer, which he dropped at the kitchen’s floor, under the counter.

 

“There’s more in the car, come on help me,” he nudged Jongin. Jongin’s eyes widened as in There’s more?, and when Baekhyun nodded impatiently Jongin stood from the stool with lazy movements, but he went to the car anyway. 

 

“I don’t know that we’re going to drink this much…,” Kyungsoo said carefully, his eyes didn’t leave the crates of beer on the floor.

 

“It’s for Chanyeol,” Baekhyun whispered, grinning.  Something on his voice made Kyungsoo look up. “Minah and I came with a plan to make Chanyeol and Bomi drunk, just to… ease the tension between them, you know,” Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows meaningfully. “But Chanyeol is a heavy drinker, so I’m determined to make him drunk tonight! Who knows, maybe he got lucky again!” He sent Kyungsoo a wink before following Jongin to the car.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes drifted back to the beer’s crates under the counter. This time he had to admit, that he didn’t like Baekhyun’s idea, not at all. Not even a tiny, little bit.

 

Meanwhile in the living room, Minah was occupying the couch, stretching his legs – the sprained ankle was supported by a stack of pillows. Seyeon and Sehun were sitting on the carpet; Seyeon leaned back to the couch while Sehun sat a little bit facing Seyeon. They were chatting when Suho came – actually, it’s more like Seyeon and Minah bickered while Sehun listened.

 

 “How’s your leg, Minah?” Suho asked, flopping down to Seyeon’s side.

 

Minah gave him an OK with her fingers. “It’s alright!”

 

“Have you showered, Sehun?”

 

“Um,” Sehun nodded. “You should take a shower too, Hyung.”

 

“I will,” Suho smiled, taking out his phone and the next minute he was already engaged with his phone. He casually ignored Seyeon beside him, but his arm was resting on the couch behind Seyeon. His move was very subtle that Minah didn’t realize anything; she kept on talking to Seyeon.

 

But for Seyeon, she felt like Suho’s arm behind him radiating a warm heat to her back. And without even looking, she could sense Suho smiling beside her. Only ten seconds passed before Seyeon stood up and walked away to the kitchen.

 

“I am cooking and I am responsible for your dinner,” was Kyungsoo’s reaction when he saw her stomping to the kitchen.

 

“What?” Seyeon was taken aback with Kyungsoo’s absurd words.

 

“It means, I’m busy and I totally can poison you. I really don’t want to talk about… anything,” Kyungsoo glanced towards the living room, making sure they couldn’t hear them.

 

“I’m not here for that,” Seyeon scoffed. She sat in the stool, looking irritated. She had her left elbow propped on the counter, and she rested her cheek on her palm. She was staring blankly into the corner, and after a while, Kyungsoo noticed her strange behavior. The smallest thing that proved that they were best friends, once. 

 

Kyungsoo peeked into the living room. He knew Sehun has been there since before, and then he saw Suho looking up from his phone to the kitchen. They looked into each other, and Suho gave Kyungsoo a loop-sided smile, one that showing his confidence. Kyungsoo smiled back before he returned to Seyeon, grasping the situation.

 

“Do you want to talk about it?” Kyungsoo tilted his head to Seyeon.

 

“Hm? What?” Seyeon back into reality.

 

Kyungsoo smiled. “Seyeon, you know you’re pretty. You’ve been famous since back then.”

 

Seyeon looked like she want to deny it for a second, but then she gave up. “I don’t want to talk about it,” she shrugged.

 

“Okay, but you can’t talk to me about you-know-what,” Kyungsoo quickly proposed.

 

Seyeon stared at Kyungsoo for a while, annoyed. Finally she hissed, “Deal.”

 

“We’re homeeee!” suddenly a deep voice boomed into the room, and they turned around, finding Chanyeol and Bomi walked into the lodge, dripping from head to toe.

 

Bomi noticed Seyeon and Kyungsoo in the kitchen, and she hopped to them. “What’s this? You two having reunion without me?”

 

“I heard you go surfing? Was it fun? You didn’t hurt yourself?” Seyeon bombarded her with questions.

 

“Umm,” Bomi shook her head. “It was fun, but I was at it,” Bomi grinned. “We also played jet ski and I tried parasailing too.”

 

“You should take a shower before you catch a cold,” Kyungsoo said as he reached out, intending to brush Bomi’s hair away from her face.

 

But Seyeon slapped his hand away. “Not on my watch, Do Kyungsoo. Don’t try anything funny.”

 

Kyungsoo slightly pouted while Bomi only giggled. She left the two alone, and Seyeon was about to open when Kyungsoo wiggled his index finger in front of Seyeon. “We had a deal.”

 

Seyeon tighten her lips, displeased, but she could only gulp down her questions.

 


 

After dinner, Baekhyun gathered them in the living room, shouting in excitement something about playing games and living their life to the fullest. They moved the table to the side, and made a circle in the living room.

 

Kyungsoo took Bomi’s arm, slightly guiding her to be by his side. He already told her about Baekhyun’s plan to make them drunk, and the best that Kyungsoo could do was to drink Bomi’s share when he could.

 

Of course he was aware when Baekhyun kicked Chanyeol towards Bomi, and when the tall boy grinned at Bomi as they sat next to each other. But Kyungsoo did what he always did when things become uncomfortable; he pretended to not see it and instead staring at the ceiling.

 

Seyeon was clinging to him, unable to sit beside Bomi, and Kyungsoo felt she wants to get away from Suho. Unfortunately Suho made his way to Seyeon’s side, smiling that almost like a smirk.

 

Jongin was late, and he frowned seeing the established formation. He wanted to sit beside Kyungsoo, but that seemed impossible – Kyungsoo’s hand was on Bomi’s elbow, keeping her close, while on his right, Seyeon was shifting towards Kyungsoo, like she tried to make the gap between her and Suho as big as possible. Suho only raised his eyebrows, amused. But Jongin knew their leader and he had a slight idea about what Suho was doing, so he didn’t dare to sit between Seyeon and Suho.

 

Of course he couldn’t push Chanyeol away from Bomi’s side; Jongin seriously considered this option, but Baekhyun obviously wouldn’t let him – Baekhyun already stood by Chanyeol’s side, ready to become his best friend’s sidekick.

 

And that Minah girl was sitting between Baekhyun and Sehun. Jongin didn’t want to sit beside her, not before she apologized to Kyungsoo.

 

So in the end, Jongin inched towards Sehun, told him to move over, and he sat between Suho and Sehun.   

 

Baekhyun started by a non-sense speech about how lucky they were alive, how lucky they were to get to know each other, for EXO, for the new friendship, for the new relationship – he winked to Chanyeol to his side – and proposed a toast; a toast with a big glass of beer.

 

Minah cheered to encourage them to drink, and Kyungsoo saw that Suho tilted his head a little, raising his eyebrows before gulping down the beer; Kyungsoo sure Suho knew about the plan. Seyeon and Jongin frowned, but they drank too. Chanyeol laughed happily before he drank – Baekhyun could say jumping from a cliff was enjoyable and the boy would believe him the same.

 

Bomi glanced at Kyungsoo before she drank. Kyungsoo managed to throw away the beer in the first bottle and in her glass, replaced it with soda with the same color, but the next few bottles would be the problem.

 

Sehun stared at his glass of soda, dissatisfied. Suho would never let Sehun drank under his eyes, so Suho brought him a lot of soda instead. Sehun’s eyes caught Kyungsoo’s and the boy nodded reassuringly to Kyungsoo before he his lips and drank his glass – stopping a few times because of the burp. Baekhyun laughed and pointed at him, making fun of the boy.

 

Kyungsoo realized by the end of their drinking night Sehun would be the only one sober, and before they started he already make a request to the maknae.

 

“Sehun, I need your help,” Kyungsoo pulled Sehun away from the others.

 

“Hm? What is it, Hyung?”

 

“Listen… Hm, I think we’re all going to be really drunk,” Kyungsoo lowered his voice, “… and, well, if that happened, I want you to make sure Bomi’s okay. I mean, take care of her… put her to sleep in the bedroom… stuff like that.” And then Kyungsoo added before he forget, “Ah, of course, Seyeon, too. And Minah-ssi.”

 

“You mean, to keep my eyes open and prevent any possibility of adultery caused by drinking.”

 

Kyungsoo blinked his big eyes. “What-? … Y-yes. I guess you could put it that way.”

 

Maybe one day he would be alright seeing Bomi and Chanyeol together, but not right now.

 

Is he being over protective? Kyungsoo thought. But he really, really, really didn’t want to see Bomi and Chanyeol to kiss or anything that possibly lead to something else.  

 

At least there’s Sehun.

 

So Kyungsoo inhaled deeply and finished his glass.

 


 

“Okay, okay! I have one!” Baekhyun shouted between his giggles. “Drink up if you’re still a ,” he said while looking at Sehun. Baekhyun laughed out loud and then did a high-five with Chanyeol who also laughed hard.

 

Sehun glared at Baekhyun. He sarcastically said, “How original,” before took the shot. Jongin pat his back, and when Sehun was done, the boy rubbed his nose when the fuzz kicked in. “Then, drink up if you’re not a ,” he hissed, having his revenge.  

 

Bomi saw Kyungsoo also raised his glass from the corner of her eyes. She sighed inside.

 

Kyungsoo drank as fast as he can, while Bomi drank slowly. When Kyungsoo only had a little bit left in his glass, they exchanged their glasses secretly. This time, Kyungsoo really thankful that he had a high tolerance for alcohol. And he thought, Things I’d do for her. He shook his head and continued drinking.

 

Suho was the first to put down his glass, and he said, “Drink up if you just lost your ity recently,” smirking towards Chanyeol.

 

“Nice one, Hyung!” Baekhyun clapped his hands.

 

Chanyeol glanced at Bomi and he grinned, made a clink from his glass towards Bomi’s glass.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t miss that and he fought the urge to drink; to forget.

 

He stared at his glass, finding himself wondering the same thing over and over again.

 

Why am I doing this?

 


 

It was Jongin’s turn. He noticed Baekhyun’s eyes’ movement, glancing to his side several times, telling Jongin to make Chanyeol and Bomi drank. But he also noticed Kyungsoo’s face, and he didn’t have the heart. So he looked around, and found Minah.

 

Jongin snorted.

 

“Drink up if you sprained your ankle,” he said.

 

The silence after Jongin’s words was quite alarming. All eyes were directed toward Minah, while the girl widened her eyes, bewildered. “Yah, you!” he pointed at Jongin.

 

“What?” Jongin snapped back.

 

“… FINE!” Minah finished her glass in one big gulp. “Now drink up if you had the darkest skin in the room!”

 

“Auch,” Baekhyun mumbled under his breath.

 

Jongin glared at Minah, he wouldn’t mind it if it’s one of his friends, but this one was different. He didn’t let go of his stare from Minah when he drank. “… drink up if you have the smallest eyes in the room.”

 

Baekhyun thought it could be him, but Jongin’s dead stare at Minah couldn’t be wrong, so he decided to keep quiet and still.

 

Minah furiously drank up, and her next words were directed towards Jongin only.  

 

“I never saw Jongin being all fired up… Does Minah-ssi always like this?” Chanyeol whispered to Bomi’s ear, between Minah’s and Jongin’s fight.  

 

“Yes, and she won’t stop…,” Bomi bit her lips. “Someone needs to stop them,” she leaned to Kyungsoo.

 

“Why? It’s entertaining,” Seyeon heard her and leaned to Kyungsoo too. Bomi shot her a look and Seyeon shrugged.  

 

Suho, who was just busy with his phone a minute before, touched Jongin’s arm and simply called the boy’s name, “Jongin,” stopping him when Jongin was about to snarled back at Minah. The message was clear, It’s enough.  

 


 

Bomi could see Seyeon was already tipsy. But still, that didn’t explain why the girl looked upset. When Bomi secretly stared at her best friend, she realized that Seyeon repeatedly stole a glance at her side. But Suho seemed ignorant, most of the time he was fixated with his phone. He drank when he’s being called out, but he didn’t participate much. And Bomi didn’t know why this fact irritated Seyeon.

 

“It’s my turn?” Suho set aside his phone. He hummed while thinking, then his eyes lightened up when he glanced at Seyeon. “… Please drink if you’re in track and field club,” he said while turning his head to Seyeon.

 

Seyeon clearly irked by Suho. She eyed him – who always, always smiling, his gaze locked at Seyeon when the girl drank. “If you’re EXO’s leader, drink,” Seyeon said as she wiped .

 

“Fair enough,” Suho shrugged. Then, “Please drink if you’re my hoobae at campus,” another smile directed at Seyeon. Seyeon rolled her eyes before she drank.

 

“Drink if you’re my sunbae at campus,” Seyeon said back.

 

“Not agaiiiin!” Baekhyun growled from across Suho. “Hyung, we want to play too!”

 

Suho chuckled. “Fine. Drink if you’re younger than me,” he said to all of them.

 

“That’s more like it! Woooo!” Baekhyun raised his glass, followed by the others.

 

Bomi took a sip of her drink, but her eyes went to Seyeon and Suho. Suho tucked Seyeon’s hair to behind her ear, and the girl half-heartedly pushed him away, complaining. Suho leaned in to her ear, whispering something, but Seyeon only shook her head. Then Suho went back to his phone, and the angry face Seyeon made couldn’t be mistaken, even if it’s only for a split second.

 

Another thing that didn’t miss from Bomi’s eyes was Sehun, silently drinking his soda while watching Suho’s and Seyeon’s episode. Sehun frowned a little when he saw Suho tucking Seyeon’s hair, and he frowned deeper when Seyeon looked angry at Suho. He looked worried.

 

Bomi sneaked a glance back to Suho. This time she caught Suho looking up from his phone, smiling at Sehun. Sehun reluctantly smiled back before he went back to his soda.

 

Bomi couldn’t help but wonder.   

 


 

Baekhyun slammed his glass down, a little bit too excited and a little bit too drunk. “I dare you, Pak Chanyool!” he shouted, squeezing his friend’s shoulder, “To kiss Bomi!”

 

“Wooo yeaaaaaah!” Minah clapped with high enthusiasm, cheeks already red. Sehun was clapping too, still poker-face as ever.

 

Kyungsoo flinched. The liquor already made its way through his brain, and the word was ringing on his head. Kiss. Kiss. KISS. He looked frantically around, isn’t somebody going to stop Byun Baekhyun and his madness? He stopped when he found his leader was staring at him, no smile on his face this time.  

 

Kyungsoo swallowed and calmed down. He just needed to endure it for a second – please make it no more than one second, he wished.

 

Bomi was looking down, flustered from Baekhyun’s dare, so Chanyeol leaned forward to peek at her. He smiled softly when his eyes met Bomi’s.  

 

Kyungsoo saw that smile and he had to look away. Seyeon subtly caressed his hand, giving the boy a sign of sympathy.

 

Bomi had her eyes shut close as she didn’t dare to look up, but then she felt Chanyeol took her hand and planted a kiss on the back of her hand. She opened her eyes, finding Chanyeol’s wide grin in front of her.

 

The boy winked at her before he pulled back.

 

“NOT FUUUUUN!” Baekhyun yelled while Chanyeol laughed.

 

“I dare you, Byun Baekhyun, to do a y dance!” Chanyeol shouted, and this time even Jongin cheered on.

 

“Thank you,” Bomi mumbled to Chanyeol’s ear while Baekhyun made his y entrance to the middle of the circle.

 

“Don’t mention it,” Chanyeol ruffled Bomi’s hair with a grin.

 

And Kyungsoo had to gulped down his beer, he didn’t care about Suho’s stare or Seyeon’s light touch at his back; he just needed to forget.  

 


 

I'm sorry that it's such a long chapter. A long, pointless, and boring chapter (and I'm struggling to write it too). I'm really sorry. I want to make it into 2 chapters but then 'Get A Grip, Park Chanyeol' would be too short. Anyway. There's been too much Kyungmi and I want Chanmi but I guess in the end it's still Kyungmi??? /epicfail - Anyway, please give Chanmi love too~

Big thanks to surong-exopink for the upvote, to nicky_ for the comments, and last but not least (I know, I'm cheesy) for SHINeejjang for the upvote+the super sweet comment *throw hearts, Infinite's Woohyun's style

And thank you for all the subscribers, I love you sooooooo much ;___; I'll reply the comments as soon as possible, so please do leave me a comment! 

I'm having my holiday for the next - probably - two weeks, I'll try to update in between. Have a good day everyone~ ヽ(○´∀`)ノ♪

Lastly, umm, teaser?

 

Hot Season of the Year Part II: Oh Sehun's Night