Confession

Closer, Closer
Friendly warning: 58xx words
 
I only knew you, I didn’t know the beginning or the end
I wasn’t strong enough so I couldn’t let you go
I know it’s my foolish greed
But I’m erasing my tears and swallowing my words now

 

 

“We’re sorry. The number you are calling cannot receive calls—”

 

Kyungsoo stopped dialing Chanyeol’s number and put his phone down.

 

He looked around him, to the bathroom door which always closed because Chanyeol liked it that way and he always scolded Jongin for letting the door opened, to the closet next to it where the door was ajar and Kyungsoo could see the crumpled shirts Chanyeol pushed into the closet, to the living room where he sat now, to the kitchen with the notes stuck on the fridge – expiration date of the milk and a reminder of Chanyeol’s assignment, to the rarely used dining table, and finally to the bed where the blanket was made up sloppily; Chanyeol’s room. 

 

He stared at Chanyeol’s bed.

 

Kyungsoo exhaled, running his fingers through his hair while leaning back to the couch.

 

It came to him that he hated Chanyeol’s room.

 


 

Bomi pulled up her collar to cover her neck, preventing the wind to attack her neck. There were a lot of places she’d rather be right now, one of them would be her room, tucked safely under the blanket. Or maybe in a coffee shop with Sehun or with Seyeon or with Minah, ordering a cup of hot chocolate to fight the weather. But instead she was out in the cold.

 

She hugged herself, strolling on the road, checking one restaurant to another café to the street vendors, the places she used to visit with Chanyeol.

 

After checking with Jongin because she wasn’t really sure about the place, Bomi took a bus to the address Jongin gave, and now she’s climbing up the stairs to the park Chanyeol took her before.

 

As soon as she reached the highest park the memories hit her, from her fight with Kyungsoo, she ended up at Chanyeol’s place, and her day with Chanyeol.

 

She walked to the furthest fence and leaned on it, looking at the city under.

 

“I always come here if I need to think… or if I need some time alone, when I miss my family, anything.”

 

Bomi sat on the bench under the tree, rubbing her hands together to keep them warm.

 

And then she waited.

 


 

Chanyeol checked his phone after having it on silent mode and not even bothered to put it on vibrate. The number of incoming calls and messages were hilarious; Chanyeol didn’t think he ever got the same amount even on his birthday.

 

He scanned through the names, and obviously, it was his friends.

 

Kyungie

Bacon

Leader Hyung

Uri Maknae

Jongin

 

The most recent call was Chibi and Chanyeol stared at his phone’s screen for a moment before he turned off his phone and shoved it away, pulling the cover up to his head and burying his conscious away into a forced slumber.

 


 

Chanyeol didn’t and couldn’t remember how he ended at the bus he’s at right now, taking a line he didn’t know where it would go, and he blinked several times wondering why people at the bus staring at him before he realized that his phone was ringing loudly. He stopped a moment to think where he put his phone before fishing his phone out, only to stop again and stared at the screen.

 

Kyungie is calling

 

Chanyeol rejected the call without thinking. He was still staring at his phone when it started ringing again, and he punched the reject button immediately. He waited, but Kyungsoo stopped calling. Instead, his phone beeped once, signaling a new message. Chanyeol didn’t read it.

 

He closed his eyes and rested his head to the window, slowly registering what happened. An hour barely passed since he visited Kyungsoo’s house with the intention to ask for advices because he wanted to confess to Bomi, Kyungsoo’s best friend.

 

Chanyeol scoffed. No, not his best friend, he corrected himself. Bomi is Kyungsoo’s ex-girlfriend.

 

His fists clenched and he really couldn’t think, all he wanted to do was to punch everything, including himself. He wanted to run, run, and just run until his lung begging him to stop, and Chanyeol even thought he want to do bungee-jump again before he remembered that he did it with Bomi and Bomi lead to Kyungsoo and them and GOD DAMN-IT Chanyeol wanted to disappear.

 

Chanyeol opened his eyes, seeing the bus took him to the unfamiliar side of the city. He had no intention to get down.  

 


 

When Bomi saw the number she knew by heart flashing in her phone’s screen, she ignored the little tug her heard made and had the mind to reject it. She erased Kyungsoo’s number from her phone so she wouldn’t tempted to call or text him – she did remember his number, but at least now it’s a little bit harder if she wanted to text him.

 

The call continued and Bomi started to wonder. After their last separation Kyungsoo did call for her numerous times and Bomi ignored them all, but the following day which Bomi spent with Chanyeol, the calls stopped. It’s almost like they reached a mutual understanding – that there’s nothing left to say. And they left it at that, they hadn’t talk even more meet since that night.

 

So Bomi was curious why Kyungsoo called – he near to never called her, maybe it’s important after all.

 

“Hello?” Bomi decided to pick up, trying to sound composed even though she’s a little bit nervous.

 

“Bomi,” Kyungsoo called and Bomi knew instantly there’s something wrong.

 

“What?” Bomi tighten the grip on her phone. “What is it?”

 

“Chanyeol,” one name and that’s all Bomi needed to understand – her mind went blank in an instant and she barely registered Kyungsoo’s next words, “He found out.”

 

Chanyeol found out, her heart stopped beating for a second before it pounded so hard, suddenly the air was too thin and Bomi couldn’t breathe. Chanyeol found out, the three words rang loud and kept on repeating in her head.

 

“… How,” her voice was raspier than usual.

 

“He saw our photos…,” Kyungsoo, too, sounded different. “… I left him with my laptop and— He ran away. I tried to call him but he rejects it all, now I don’t know where he is.”

 

Bomi shut her eyes. Chanyeol found out. He found out. And he ran away from Kyungsoo. What’s on his mind? What’s his thought about us? Is he disappointed? Is he hurt? Is he going to hate me? Chanyeol’s going to hate me. But maybe I can explain—Explain what? I hurt him—But we’re just friends, we’re not anything, but—

 

 “Bomi,” Kyungsoo called, it seemed like he can feel Bomi’s breakdown over the phone, “Bomi, listen.”

 

It took a while before Bomi swallowed and could answer, “… yes?”

 

“We’re not at fault,” Kyungsoo said, slowly. “… We did nothing wrong.”

 

Bomi didn’t say anything, because right now what she felt was beyond guilty.

 

“I… I’m going to his flat now,” Kyungsoo said, and Bomi nodded before she realized Kyungsoo couldn’t see her, so she mumbled a low, ‘Okay,’ and Kyungsoo continued, “I’ll call you, alright? I’ll talk to him and we… We’ll short it out.”

 


 

Kyungsoo squatted down next to Chanyeol’s flat’s door, leaning his head back to the wall after there’s no response from the flat when he knocked and called. Earlier Chanyeol’s neighbor said he hadn’t come back yet, so Kyungsoo thought he’d wait.

 

As bad as it sounded, Kyungsoo actually didn’t feel guilty. He meant what he said, he felt they didn’t do anything wrong. What he felt right now was fear, because Chanyeol’s pale face when he left Kyungsoo’s house haunted him. What if Chanyeol hate him? It’s already bad enough he lose Bomi, twice, Kyungsoo really didn’t want to lose a best friend too.

 

He didn’t keep track on how long he waited, alternating between squatting down, standing, and walking around, but then his phone rang and he snapped back to reality – maybe it’s Chanyeol.

 

It’s not.

 

Byun Baekhyun is calling

 

Kyungsoo exhaled. Of course. He took a deep breath before picking up, “Hello?”

 

“Where are you?” Baekhyun asked, his voice was dead serious, there’s no usual playfulness in it.

 

“At Chanyeol’s. But he’s not here.”

 

“... I’m coming.” Baekhyun cut the call without saying goodbye.

 

So Kyungsoo waited again, only left Chanyeol’s flat to buy a canned coffee from a nearby mart, and when he came back Chanyeol’s door was slightly open – apparently Baekhyun had spare key to Chanyeol’s flat. He went inside to find Baekhyun sitting on the couch, looking up when he heard Kyungsoo closed the door.

 

“Is that true?” was Baekhyun’s first words.

 

Kyungsoo ignored him. “Do you talk to Chanyeol? Where is he?”

 

“Kyungsoo-yah, you and Bomi… She’s your ex?”

 

“I need to talk to Chanyeol.”

 

“SOO!” Baekhyun shouted as he jumped to his feet. “Answer me! Is that true?” Baekhyun’s face was red and he’s panting from anger, and it might be the first time Baekhyun raised his voice to Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo looked at Baekhyun for a while before finally he looked away; the only affirmation he could give.

 

Baekhyun stared at him incredulously. He shook his head, slumping down to the couch, “… from all the people in this world…,” he muttered under his breath.

 

“… It’s in the past,” Kyungsoo said slowly, taking steps to sit in the nearest couch, opposite from Baekhyun.

 

“The past—?” Baekhyun raised his head and scoffed. “Do you know—” Baekhyun stopped, shaking his head more because the situation was ridiculous for him, “… I asked Chanyeol why he’s not confessing to Bomi yet, and he said, ‘Not now, Baek, a little bit more, she’s still trying to forget her ex-boyfriend, I’ll wait a little bit more.’… Do you know that he said that? And all this time, ALL THIS TIME, it was you! And do I need to remind you, Do Kyungsoo, what you said to us— Wasn’t it in this room when you said—Damn it, Soo, how many girls you dated before?! Because unless you dated another girl that we don’t know, it’s Bomi isn’t it, the one you can’t forget!”

 

Kyungsoo looked at Baekhyun, wide eyes. All he could hear from Baekhyun’s rage was only one thing. “Chanyeol… is going to confess? He… He likes her?”

 

Baekhyun snapped at him. “What, you can’t tell already?!”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t answer, because Kyungsoo actually knew. He had this feeling, but he pushed it to the back of his mind, trying to convince himself, that maybe… Besides, when Kyungsoo asked Chanyeol about his feelings to Bomi, Chanyeol said he didn’t know, so maybe, maybe… Maybe it’s just a crush that would fade, maybe Chanyeol didn’t like her that much, but if he wanted to confessed…  

 

Suddenly Baekhyun groaned, as if he remembered something. “… He said he’s going to ask you for advices…,” Baekhyun leaned back to the couch and covered his face with his hands.

 

Kyungsoo stunned hearing this, learning the reason Chanyeol showed up at his house in the first place. 

 

“For God’s sake, Park Chanyeol, there were other girls in the party!” Baekhyun rubbed his face harshly. “Why you two didn’t say anything?! … This is so messed up.”

 

Kyungsoo waited until Baekhyun calmed down a little bit. “… Where’s Chanyeol right now?” he asked.

 

“I don’t know. I really don’t,” Baekhyun repeated when Kyungsoo stared at him. “He called me before and started to ramble, at first I only heard Kyungsoo, Bomi… I asked where he was, he said he doesn’t know either.”

 

“I’ll wait here,” Kyungsoo said quietly. “He’ll be back sooner or later… right?”

 

“Who knows,” Baekhyun spat carelessly and Kyungsoo didn’t take it to the heart because he knew Baekhyun was just angry.

 

Baekhyun the TV and ignored Kyungsoo, so the boy went to the kitchen to make food for both of them; at least there’s something to distract his mind.

 

They waited until late but still there’s no sign of Chanyeol and they couldn’t reach him by phone either. Finally Baekhyun stood up, glancing at his watch, “I’m going home.” He looked at Kyungsoo, waiting for him to follow him.

 

“… Be careful,” Kyungsoo said and Baekhyun nodded, getting Kyungsoo’s unspoken intention to wait for Chanyeol. 

 

However, before he stepped out from the flat, Baekhyun halted in his steps and threw a glance at Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo… you and Bomi…”

 

“… We’re not…,” Kyungsoo forced a weak smile, “Not anymore.”

 

Baekhyun hesitated for a moment but then he nodded again and left Kyungsoo on his own, haunted not only by Chanyeol’s face, but also by the reality behind his own words.

 


 

By the third day, Chanyeol still hadn’t come home, he didn’t show up at his classes, and now all EXO members were already know about what happened. It was Baekhyun who told them, because he’s getting worried over Chanyeol – Kyungsoo practically lived in Chanyeol’s flat, only left to go to campus, and sometimes Baekhyun accompanied him in Chanyeol’s place.

 

Baekhyun didn’t hear anything from Bomi, not that he wanted to, but he’s upset because he didn’t see Bomi at all in Chanyeol’s place. Then Kyungsoo told him that Bomi looked around the city, to the places she thought Chanyeol might be. Baekhyun scoffed at the information, if there’s anyone who could find Chanyeol it should be him, he’s the one who knew Chanyeol better, and so he left Kyungsoo to search for Chanyeol.

 

It was also Baekhyun who told the members, and he got surprised instead because none of them looked truly surprised. Jongin got pale, Sehun immediately asked about Bomi and Chanyeol, and Suho just nodded his head silently.

 

“You guys know?” Baekhyun asked, disbelieved. He threw a glare at Jongin, “Of course you know,” he said, more accusing than he intended to, but then he turned to Sehun, “Sehun-ah… You know about this too?” Sehun didn’t say anything, and lastly Baekhyun turned to Suho, “Hyung? Are we… me and Chanyeol, are we the only one who didn’t know?”

 

“I had an idea about them…,” Suho said quietly, “The way Kyungsoo and Bomi glances at each other… But I thought maybe Bomi had a crush on him, or Kyungsoo once confessed to her… I don’t know that their relationship was… that.”

 

“Unbelievable,” Baekhyun muttered. “And no one had the thought to tell Chanyeol, maybe?!”

 

Later that night, Sehun got a call from Chanyeol.

 

“Hyung?! Hyung, where are you? Are you alright? Hyung!”

 

“Sehun-ah,” Chanyeol called and calmed Sehun down. “Hey… Listen. I need to ask something from you, can you help me? About EXO’s next gig…”

 

Chanyeol wouldn’t show up for the next EXO’s performance, and he asked Sehun to cover for him. It’s irresponsible for him to do that, but he still couldn’t face Kyungsoo. Sehun agreed, but only if Chanyeol promised to come home soon.

 

And that’s the reason behind Sehun showing up with his band members in the club EXO’s going to perform at.  

 

Sehun looked around the club, still hoping Chanyeol would miraculously show up with his silly wide grin. But the boy knew better that his Hyung wouldn’t come this time, so he sighed to himself and walked back to the dressing room in the back of the club.

 

The atmosphere was gloomy inside, Baekhyun visibly distancing himself from Kyungsoo and Jongin, playing alone with his phone in the corner. They all knew that Baekhyun’s not really mad, but it’s just his way of showing his loyalty to Chanyeol. Kyungsoo was even quieter than usual, staring blankly at the floor, and Jongin seemed lost by his side, didn’t know what to do. Suho glanced back and forth at the boys, but he kept his words to himself, it’s better to leave them all alone right now. Sehun sat beside him and Suho patted his thigh, giving him a reassuring smile.

 

Finally it’s their turn to perform, and Seyeon and Minah came to cheer on them before they walked up to the stage. Seyeon walked to Suho and Minah inched closer to Jongin naturally.

 

“Where’s Bomi?” Jongin asked, and Minah shook her head.

 

“She’s still looking for Chanyeol,” Minah whispered back, hanging her head low. She never really thought about Bomi and Kyungsoo, in her mind it was always Bomi and Chanyeol, together, happily ever after. So she was really sad about the whole situation.

 

Jongin ruffled her hair. “Don’t worry about it too much. Chanyeol just needs some time, he’ll come back, talk with Bomi, and everything will be fine.”

 

“I hope so… Ah, good luck with your performance! And… I will be in the front, if you… um… if you… ifyoulookingforme,” Minah said the last words in one breath, and she quickly added, “Right. Great. See you!” before Jongin could respond. 

 

“Hey,” Suho nudged Seyeon softly, “You’re frowning. You’ll get wrinkles soon, old lady,” Suho used his thumb to caress the frown between Seyeon’s eyes.

 

“I won’t,” Seyeon replied, annoyed, and Suho just chuckled. He then stared at Seyeon and the small smile remained in his lips that Seyeon blushed under the stare. “What?”

 

“Nothing,” Suho tilted his head, and suddenly he leaned on, kissing Seyeon on the lips. “You’re beautiful,” he murmured to her lips after the kiss and he smiled when he saw Seyeon was all red from the kiss. “I’ll see you after this.”

 

Seyeon was thankful that the club was dark so no one could see the kiss – their first kiss, actually – although she thought she heard Baekhyun snickered behind her, she just followed Minah back to the front. 

 

Meanwhile, Suho was still smiling, looking at Seyeon’s back when Baekhyun bumped to his shoulder, “Nice move, Leader,” Baekhyun grinned, and Suho thought at least he lifted up Baekhyun’s mood.

 

Suho turned and looked at Sehun on the side, tense and rigid, possibly from the nervousness that he would take Chanyeol’s part. “Come on,” Suho reached Sehun’s hand and lead him to the stage. 

 

Usually it would be Kyungsoo’s part as the vocalist to do the opening and small talks with the audience, but seeing Kyungsoo’s mind was not in the place, Suho took over the microphone.

 

“Good night, guys! You’re surprised, right, seeing our Sehunnie’s back here with us when we said he’ll take a break from EXO?” Suho paused and the audience yelled ‘Yes!’, “… Well the bad news is, Chanyeol’s sick at the moment,” there’s a sound of cry from one corner, most definitely Chanyeol’s fans, “… but the good news is, our golden maknae here will replace Chanyeol for the night. Although I’m sure Sehunnie will do just great, I hope you guys will cheer on him, and if he makes any mistake, please pretend he doesn’t do it.”

 

The audience laughed warmly, and Jongin knocked her sticks a few times to started their performance.

 

For the rest of the performance, Suho kept on glancing on Sehun to check on him, but his cousin seemed doing just fine. Suho secretly smiled proudly to him, because over the last three years Sehun learnt a lot, not only guitar, he also learnt drums with Jongin and keyboard with Baekhyun. The short, thin boy that used to follow him around had grown up very well, Suho thought. He wished Sehun smiled more, though, because like right now, Sehun was staring intensely at something – Suho knew he’s probably just concentrating to not messing up the chord, but as the result his face looked unamused.

 

Finally Suho looked away from Sehun, and his eyes found Seyeon and Minah in the front, Minah was seen holding a small banner with ‘EXO WE ARE ONE’ written on it while singing along with Kyungsoo passionately. Seyeon waved her hand and Suho winked at her, earning a small scream of ‘OPPA!’ from his fans while Seyeon pretended to gag.

 

Sehun did well for the rest of the night, and they decided to hang around in the club after the performance minus Kyungsoo who went straight home despite Jongin’s attempt to hold him back. Sehun chose to approach the counter and order an orange juice from the bartender – the club where they performed at was a club for students, a lot of indie bands performed there and sometimes even dance battles were held there, so they didn’t serve alcohol and that’s why Sehun could come with his hyungs to the club.

 

The bartender went back with two glasses, one was his orange juice, and the order was a special drink that Sehun knew it’s one of the expensive drink in the club.

 

“From your admirer,” the bartender said, handing Sehun the two glasses and one napkin with some scribbles on it.

 

Sehun frowned, looking down to the napkin. There’s a phone number on it with a message.

 

I’m a fan. – H

 

Sehun looked around the club. He saw Baekhyun chatted with his friends, a group of girls and the girls laughed over whatever jokes Baekhyun made, then Sehun saw Jongin and Minah and at the sight Sehun snorted because, even he, the ignorant one, could see there’s something between the two and Sehun didn’t know why Jongin hadn’t make a move yet, and lastly he saw Suho and Seyeon talking to each other in one table, Seyeon scrunched up her nose towards Suho and Suho laughed, pinching Seyeon’s cheek. Sehun was glad seeing his brother looked happy.

 

He turned back to the napkin after failed to see anyone who could possibly be the sender of the drink. When he finished the drink he called the bartender, “Please tell the sender I said thank you.” But he left the napkin at the counter, not even touching it.

 

It slipped on his mind, if only the initial was J or S, he would keep the number.

 


 

Chanyeol spent the last days in his friend’s place, a hyung he knew back when he lived in the dormitory. He even borrowed his clothes, even they’re a little bit small for him, and since they were such a good friend, the guy didn’t mind Chanyeol became a freeloader in his place. To show his gratitude, Chanyeol did all the chores for him.

 

He realized it was coward for him to run away, but he was telling the truth to Sehun – he couldn’t face Kyungsoo just yet. There’s too much emotion inside him. He was angry, he was upset, there’s a part of him that felt betrayed, but then he felt guilty, because what if he’s the reason Bomi and Kyungsoo couldn’t be together anymore? And he’s also felt embarrassed.

 

Chanyeol exhaled and shoved his hands into his pocket, starting to climb up the long stairs to the park he visited with Bomi before. He remembered the last time he went there with Bomi and Chanyeol sighed again, he didn’t regret taking Bomi there but now the memory was bothering him.

 

He decided to visit the park, finally going out from his friend’s place, “You need fresh air, young man! Whatever your problem is, go out and face it!” and with that words he was kicked out – all with good intentions, of course.

 

He reached the highest area in the park and he was just about to walk to the furthest bench – his favorite spot, the same bench he sat with Bomi before – when the sight of a figure sitting on the bench made him stop. Chanyeol felt his heart stopped beating because he knew who it was – the long, wavy hair that he always itched to touch, the petite figure he wished he could hold.

 

As if sensing someone’s watching her, the girl turned her head at that very moment and locked eyes with Chanyeol. Even from afar Chanyeol could see Bomi’s shocked expression upon finally seeing him. She quickly stood up and Chanyeol, knowing he couldn’t run away forever, approached her reluctantly.

 

“Chanyeol…,” Bomi called out carefully, and Chanyeol hated the fact how Bomi looked awful, her eyes were red and puffy and she had deep eye-bags under her eyes, and her hair was wild, like she’s been in the park all day long and the wind messed it up. He looked down and saw Bomi’s fists curled up on the hem of her coat.

 

 Chanyeol sat in the bench and Bomi followed him.

 

Bomi waited but Chanyeol stayed silent, he knew she’s watching him, waiting for him to talk first. When Chanyeol didn’t show any signs that he would speak, Bomi asked softly, “… where have you been? Everyone’s worried... Where do you stay? Do you eat properly? You even skipped your classes—”

 

“Is that all you want to say to me?” Chanyeol turned to her and snapped. Because Bomi’s attention was not the thing that Chanyeol wanted right now. Instead he felt his anger boiled, because what’s the use of all that? And, was it care? Or was it a mere sympathy? 

 

 “Chanyeol—”

 

“… Why you didn’t tell me? Why you didn’t say anything? Is it fun for you?” he asked in frustration.

 

Bomi flinched back when she heard Chanyeol’s last question.

 

“Tell me, are you having fun, playing with me? You must think I’m a fool… When you came to my place crying, that’s because of Kyungsoo? And I comforted you! … Is this a joke for you?!” Chanyeol couldn’t help it. Somewhere in his mind he knew Bomi’s not like that and it’s wrong to blame Bomi, but Chanyeol needed someone to blame because if no one’s at fault, then it would be his fault. And that’s something that Chanyeol couldn’t bear at the moment.

 

“No!” Bomi shouted back. “I never thought of you as a fool! Chanyeol, please—”

 

Bomi’s hand was reaching out to his arm, but Chanyeol brushed her away harshly immediately.

 

The action startled Bomi, and there’s a pained expression on her face that Chanyeol didn’t miss. He felt a pang in his heart, but he chose to ignore it.

 

“… I never mean to lie to you…,” Bomi swallowed down and blinked her eyes several times, trying to hold back her tears. She didn’t deserve to cry, she knew she’s not the one that got hurt the most, and it’s all happened because of her. “I’m sorry…”

 

Chanyeol refused to look at Bomi, frowning at something in the distance, trying to control his own feelings.

 

Finally, after some times passed, he took out a small box from his pocket – the thing never left him since he bought it, almost like a charm now, although Chanyeol never imagine he would give it to Bomi in this condition. In his mind it would be more romantic and certainly with a happy ending.

 

“Take it,” Chanyeol said coldly, putting the box down in the bench, in the gap between him and Bomi. “It’s yours.”

 

Bomi looked at him warily, sending him confused look.

 

“You know my feelings to you,” Chanyeol stared at Bomi, and the girl looked down. He rubbed his face. “… I think it’s best if we don’t see each other for a while.” Chanyeol stood up from his seat and walked away.

 

“Chanyeol…”

 

Bomi’s voice was pleading, and it made Chanyeol stopped walking. He looked over his shoulder. “Go home, Bomi. How long have you been here?”

 

Bomi didn’t answer, biting down her trembling lips, and Chanyeol left her like that.

 


 

When Seyeon told Suho that Bomi finally met Chanyeol, she didn’t expect Sehun and Suho to show up at her house precisely thirty minutes later.

 

“Bomi Noona?” Sehun straightly asked the moment Seyeon opened the door.

 

“She’s in her room…,” Seyeon answered, still dazed and surprised with the sudden coming.

 

Sehun walked pass her, and she saw Sehun knocked softly on Bomi’s door before letting himself in..

 

“I told Sehun and he asked me to drive him here…,” Suho’s voice took Seyeon’s attention back. She guided him to the living room and served him cold drink.

 

“Oppa…,” Seyeon started to speak after she put down the glass in front of Suho, “… I’ve been thinking… Sehun to Bomi… He doesn’t like her, right?”

 

Suho turned his head to Seyeon. “Hm?”

 

“I mean, they are very close. They always look like they have something’s going on between them, and they’re the only ones who know what is it, and I know they meet each other a lot… And, ah, well, he comes here immediately for Bomi,” Seyeon shrugged.

 

Suho smiled. “No, it can’t be, Sehun doesn’t like her.”

 

“How do you know?” Seyeon demanded an explanation, because Suho seemed so sure with his answer. “Does he tell you that? Is there anyone else that Sehun likes?”

 

“Well it’s because Sehun—” Suho stopped abruptly, looking at Seyeon as if he just remembered something.

 

“Sehun…?” Seyeon tilted her head, waiting for the rest of the sentence.

 

“… No, he doesn’t like Bomi,” Suho smiled again, Seyeon’s hair. “I just know. … He would tell me if he does.”

 

“Okay then. I’m just worried. It’s enough with Kyungsoo and Chanyeol,” she sighed and stood up. “Come help me make dinner?”

 

Suho nodded and followed Seyeon to the kitchen, throwing one last hesitant glance towards the direction of Bomi’s room.

 


 

“Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened when he saw Chanyeol standing in the middle of his room. He was just went out to do grocery shopping, Kyungsoo thought Chanyeol needed some food on his fridge for later when he went home, and he was surprised to find Chanyeol when he came back.

 

“I see you’re getting comfy in my house,” Chanyeol chuckled, nodding at the groceries in Kyungsoo’s hand. When he got back home and saw that his room was so tidy and pristine, he knew Kyungsoo must have been there. As much as Baekhyun loved him, Chanyeol doubted it his best friend had the mind to clean up for him.

 

Kyungsoo stepped in. “Chanyeol, I’m—”

 

“Kyungsoo-yah,” Chanyeol cut him. “Can you cook for me? I’m hungry,” he asked, and despite his calm voice, Kyungsoo could see Chanyeol looked at him warily.

 

Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol, but the he nodded. “… sure. What do you want?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “Anything… You don’t mind if I don’t help you? I want to take a bath…”

 

 “Yeah… It’s alright.”

 

“… thanks,” Chanyeol gave him a weak smile before he grabbed his clothes and went to the bathroom.

 

Kyungsoo served the dinner in the dining table, and this reminded Chanyeol of the morning he woke up with the breakfast Bomi made. He bit his feelings back and instead sputtered, “You will be a perfect house-wife, Kyungsoo-yah, do you want to be my wife?” he gave Kyungsoo a loop-sided smile.

 

The shorter boy rolled his eyes. “Hurry up and eat before it gets cold.”

 

They ate dinner together and chatted normally as if there’s nothing happened between them, they talked about the latest news and Kyungsoo told Chanyeol about his sister, Yoojung, obsessing over the new boyband and dragged Kyungsoo to the fansign, then Chanyeol told Kyungsoo that one time Yura’s room was full with a boyband’s posters. It’s almost like Chanyeol didn’t disappear for days and the last time they met Chanyeol didn’t run away from him.

 

But when dinner’s over and they washed all the dishes, Kyungsoo looked up at Chanyeol and said, “We need to talk, Chanyeol.”

 

“… yeah,” Chanyeol grinned to lightened up the mood, “… we need to do that, don’t we?”

 

They settled in the living room, sitting on the couch awkwardly, and Kyungsoo glanced to Chanyeol to see if the other boy wanted to talk first.

 

“Kyung,” Chanyeol called, staring at his own hands. “… do you hate me?”

 

“What?” Kyungsoo was taken aback, because he’s already preparing himself to be shouted at, maybe even a punch or two, but Chanyeol’s question just now was definitely took him by surprise. He looked at Chanyeol and realized Chanyeol was serious about his question. “No,” he answered with his automatic answer.

 

“Be honest with me,” Chanyeol urged him. “Tell me, honestly. You hate me don’t you?”

 

Kyungsoo thought about the question thoroughly. He hated a lot of things. Right now he hated the situation between the three of them, and over the last few days he realized he hated Chanyeol’s room, but to the tall boy who sat in front of him, staring at him nervously with his big eyes, blinking rather dumbly in Kyungsoo’s opinion, his feelings to him was… “No, I don’t hate you, Chanyeol-ah.”

 

Chanyeol clearly relieved with Kyungsoo’s answer, his tense shoulders relaxing, “… okay. That’s good, then.”

 

Kyungsoo waited, but Chanyeol didn’t say anything anymore. “Then, what about you?”

 

“What?”

 

“Do you hate me?”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes flickered for a moment, but then he shook his head, murmuring, “Of course not, you’re my best friend, Kyungsoo-yah, how can I hate you?” Chanyeol looked up at him, grinning, and Kyungsoo smiled back.

 

“Chanyeol. I’m sorry… for not telling you.”

 

“Well I’m sorry too…,” Chanyeol cleared his throat, “… for… everything.”

 

“No,” Kyungsoo shook his head. “Chanyeol, listen. Bomi…,” Kyungsoo realized Chanyeol frowned a little when he heard Bomi’s name, “… Yoon Bomi in high school, in junior high… She’s mine. The one who smiled brightly just because I bought her ice cream after school, the one who always ride in the back of my bike, the one who sneaked away from her brother to be with me… That girl is mine, and there’s nothing you can do to take her away from me. But the Yoon Bomi that’s in college now… She’s never mine to begin with.”

 

This time it was Chanyeol’s turn to shake his head. “That’s not true, Kyungsoo—”

 

“We broke up two years ago, Chanyeol, I had plenty of times to try and fix our relationship, but I didn’t. Maybe I confused my feelings with… jealousy, with my pride, and maybe it’s the warm feelings left after our relationship, but…,” Kyungsoo inhaled deeply, “My point is, me and Bomi, we’re no longer together. I want you to keep that in mind.”

 

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows. “… Kyungsoo… You know I can’t.”

 

“... just keep that in mind,” Kyungsoo squeezed Chanyeol’s shoulder.

 

“… so, are we… okay?” Chanyeol rubbed his nose nervously.

 

Kyungsoo offered his hand to Chanyeol and he pulled him into a light chest-bump. “Aren’t we always?”

 


 

 “Chanyeol’s already come back.”

 

A little pause and a sniff. “Good.”

 

“… Are you crying?”

 

More pause, and it seemed the phone was being putted away to hide the sound of sniffing. “I met Chanyeol this evening.”

 

“… oh.”

 

“Is… is everything alright? Is he mad at you?”

 

“… no.”

 

“That’s a relief.” And it really was.

 

“I already talked to him… I’m sure he just needs time—”

 

“It’s okay. I’m not… I mean… It’s fine.”

 

“…. Okay.”

 

Longest pause, the only sound was his breath and her muffled sob. Finally she spoke first.

 

“Goodbye, Kyungsoo…”

 

“… Goodbye, Bomi.”

 


 

What more is there to do? Now I’ll let you go

 

Runaway - KARA

 


 

Happy birthday, Park Chanyeol! Keep being our giant baby happy virus! (:

 

 

  • I just want to say sorry, sorry if it takes so long, sorry if you’ve been waiting for this chapter and this chapter when it’s supposed to be the peak of the story, I’m not really happy with this chapter too…
  • And thank you for keep reading! Just… a little… bit… more… hang on there!
  • If anyone’s confused, the Kyungsoo/Bomi/Chanyeol in the beginning happened 3-4 days after Chanyeol ran away, then Chanyeol in the bus was picking up right after the previous chapter.
  • By the way, I think Runaway by KARA is exactly Bomi’s feeling towards Kyungsoo. Just saying.