Prelude: Before The Beach

Closer, Closer

 

 

The Flirt

person who makes advances

 


 

Seyeon

Bomi was washing the dishes after cooking when a noise disturbed her. She turned around, finding Seyeon’s phone vibrating vigorously above the dining table.

 

“Seyeon-ah! Your phone!” Bomi shouted.

 

“Just leave it,” Seyeon answered back from her room; the door’s opened so Bomi could hear her just fine.

 

Bomi raised her eyebrows. This past week Seyeon’s phone sure was busy vibrating; either from text messages or from phone calls. If it’s text message, Seyeon would check it, but Bomi rarely seen her texting back. If it’s phone call, Seyeon ignored it. Sometimes she answered. But apparently not tonight.

 

Curious, Bomi dried her hands and walked to the dining table to see the caller’s ID.

 

Joonmyeon

 

Huh? Bomi frowned deeper. Where did I hear that name?

 

Oh.

 

Bomi glanced toward Seyeon’s door and she could see her best friend sitting in her desk, seemingly working on something. Her glance back to Seyeon’s phone on the table.

 

Suho Oppa…?

 


 

Suho

Suho stared at his phone, chuckled. Sehun beside him raised his eyebrows. They were watching TV in the living room – or at least Sehun was, Suho only accompanied him, lounging in the couch while Sehun sat on the carpet. For the last couple minutes Suho had been busy with his phone; like he always was for the past week. Either he typed with a small smile on his face, or he tried to call someone. And even thought the other person didn’t pick up, Suho just kept on trying – with an amused look.  Just like right now.

 

Suddenly Suho’s phone rang, and he let it rang for 4 seconds before picking it up. “Took you long enough,” he said.

 

Sehun glanced, and Suho noticed him. He smiled at him.

 

“… Hm? Watching TV with Sehun…,” Suho stood up, walking away from the living room with his phone. “You’re still writing your report? Have you eaten?” 

 

Sehun still watching Suho’s back.

 

“… well, aren’t you lucky to have Bomi as your housemate…,” Suho’s voice trailed off when he disappeared to the second floor, to his room.

 

Sehun frowned at the mention of Bomi’s name. Suddenly he remembered when Kyungsoo drove him and Seyeon home the other day.

 

Seyeon Noona…?

 


 

 

The Well-Wisher

one who extends good wishes to another

 


 

Jongin

Jongin didn’t say anything, just fixed his stare at Kyungsoo – who purposely ignored him by bustling himself cooking. Jongin was coming over to Kyungsoo’s house, and the later has told Jongin about his encounter with Bomi during his trip to his friend’s wedding in his hometown.

 

Jongin silently watched as Kyungsoo whisked the eggs then continued with adding the salt and the pepper. He knew he had to ask the question, he just didn’t know how to not offend Kyungsoo in the process.

 

“… Kyungsoo,” Jongin started carefully. “… Are you sure?”

 

Kyungsoo sighed. “Jongin…“

 

“But Kyungsoo, you’re still–“

 

“Don’t.” Kyungsoo threw down the fork in his hand, making splatter and clink sound when the fork hit the bowl. “Just… don’t say it. Please?” he asked Jongin, wide eyes as always. Maybe if he didn’t hear it out loud, he could continue to pretend.

 

Jongin chose not to pursue the matter anymore, but his gaze showing his concern and dissatisfaction. “… maybe it’s better if we’re not going to the beach with the boys.”

 

Kyungsoo made a stiff smile. “I’m okay, you know,” he grabbed the fork, continued the cooking. “I promised Baekhyun that I will help Chanyeol. And we’re going to the beach! You like the beach.”

 

Jongin didn’t say anything, keeping his skeptical look towards Kyungsoo.  

 

“Okay, look,” Kyungsoo noticed Jongin’s stare, “I had my chance, I screwed up, and even after that I didn’t try to fix it. I had no right to stand in the way. Not anymore. Now, are you going to sit there all day or help me with this?”

 

Jongin scoffed, stood from his seat and approached Kyungsoo, trying not to say the words out loud.

 

But Kyungsoo, you’re still in love with her.

 


 

Seyeon

“So, Jongdae is Team Kyungsoo? That’s it, Kim Jongdae, this means war,” Seyeon snapped, opening her phone in a speed of light and typed something fiercely.

 

Bomi rolled her eyes. She wondered why Seyeon pretended to hate Kyungsoo so much, she knew Seyeon actually fond of Kyungsoo. Maybe because Seyeon wanted Bomi to know that she’s on her side.

 

The reply from Jongdae was fast, and Seyeon burst out into laugh after she read it. She handed her phone to Bomi so she could read Jongdae’s reply by herself.

 

Actually I’m Team Jongdae.

 

Now Seyeon turned back to the serious mode. “We’ll skip the part where you totally ignored your promise to not talk with Kyungsoo and even better, you went on a date with him.“

 

“It’s not a date!” Bomi protested with a pout. “… and I’m sorry… But it was inevitable!”

 

“So we’re going to this beach trip with EXO?” Seyeon asked Bomi.

 

“… yes?” Bomi’s voice was asking for Seyeon’s opinion.

 

Seyeon kept quiet. She knew it was her job as the best friend to make Bomi realized what she didn’t, what she tried to ignore. But Seyeon wasn’t sure she wanted Bomi to realize. She was there in every tear that Bomi shed, in every broken piece of Bomi’s heart, and she had enough. Seeing Bomi got hurt over hope was painful.

 

And Kyungsoo had already given up.

 

Maybe it would be okay.

 

“Sure…,” Seyeon shrugged. “It will be fun.”

 

Bomi beamed at Seyeon’s answer.

 

Seyeon looked away from Bomi’s smile. She knew she spoiled the girl too much, but she couldn’t say it. Not right now.

 

Bomi, you haven’t gotten over him yet.

 


 

 

The Wingman

a role that a person may take when a friend needs support with approaching potential partner

 


 

Minah

“What?”

 

“I said,” Minah repeated, her phone stuck to her ear, “you should stay away from Bomi for our trip to the beach.”

 

There’s a pause before Seyeon in the end of the line replied, “And why exactly I have to do that?”  

 

“Well…,” Minah curled her hair in her finger. “If you’re standby beside Bomi all the time, Chanyeol won’t have the chance to be with Bomi, and POOF! Gone is the chance for Chanmi.”

 

“… Chanmi.”

 

“Their couple name, cute right? Come on, Seyeon, give Chanyeol a chance? You can’t deny that Bomi smiles a lot when she’s with Chanyeol?”

 

“You only saw them together once!” Seyeon yelled and Minah inched her phone away.

 

“Still, Bomi smiled and laughed!” Minah yelled back. “Baekhyunnie-“

 

Baekhyunnie?” Seyeon cut her in a Seriously? tone.

 

Minah ignored her. “-is 100% sure Chanyeol has a crush on Bomi, and I think we should give him a chance! Who knows, maybe they can end together, and Bomi can forget about Kyungsoo! Baekhyunnie and I want to set a romantic situation for them, which would be hard to get if you’re around Bomi, so…” Minah waited for Seyeon’s answer, getting ready for making a longer speech about the importance of Seyeon getting away from Bomi.

 

But Seyeon’s answer surprised her. “... okay.”

 

“Really?!”

 

“But I’ll stick with you instead.”

 

“Nope!” Minah quickly chirped. “Can’t do that! You see, I have my own mission to getting Byun Baekhyun’s heart, and I’m planning to glue myself to him all the time, so you’re out of the picture.”

 

“What? Minah–“

 

“You can play with Kyungsoo, since you’re buddies, right? Okay? Glad we have this talk, Seyeon! Bye bye!” and Minah ended the call before Seyeon could say anything.  

 


 

Baekhyun

“Is this really necessary…,” Chanyeol mumbled under his breath, but Baekhyun heard him anyway.

 

“In the name of love, yes, freaking yes, Park Chanyeol,” Baekhyun hissed from between his gritted teeth. He lost count of how many times Chanyeol asked him that question. “Now if you just shut up for an hour… You do realize I sacrifice my summer holiday just for getting YOU a girlfriend?”

 

Chanyeol pouted, but quickly changed to poker-face when Baekhyun glared at him. “… but what’s wrong with my hair… I like my hair…”

 

“That’s not the point-,” Baekhyun stopped to massage his temple. “… Trust me, you’ll thank me later.”

 

Chanyeol still looked confused and lost, but he asked questions no more, letting the hairdresser worked his hair. After Chanyeol done getting his hair cut, he stared at the mirror, scrunched his nose at the reflection.

 

“Baek, my ears…,” he turned to Baekhyun, touching his pointy ears that now uncovered, thanks to his new haircut.

 

“You look incredibly handsome, Park Chanyeol,” Baekhyun reassured him. “Yes, I’m sure,” he added when Chanyeol opened his mouth in attempt to talk-back. “Now, all that’s left to do is for you to be a man and make a move on Bomi-ah, okay? On our beach trip, ask her out on a date, JUST THE TWO OF YOU.”

 

Chanyeol bit his lips. He never really thought about it through – his feelings and all. He wasn’t sure of anything.  

 

Suddenly Baekhyun smacked his arm. “Don’t worry, I’ll help you!” and he grinned so widely that it took half of his face.

 

Chanyeol rubbed his arm and made a mental note to really think about his feeling to Bomi.

 


 

Sorry >__< It's not a real chapter, just a 'bridge' to the next chapter. And I decided to use the name Jongin instead of Kai, but I'll keep Suho. And ignore the pictures, am getting too excited and having a little too much fun and getting carried away...

By the way. EXO's Growl, APink met EXO on WGM, EXO being super lovey-dovey in China... Pretty sure I'm going down with high fever from all of those. AND f(x)'s Goodbye Summer featuring Kyungsoo asdhsajhdsakl it's so beautifullll :"

As always, thank you for reading, for subscribing, and for leaving a comment.

No, really, I'm just showing my love, not trying to kill you with Yixing.