Memories, Still

Closer, Closer

 

Hey, on days when the wind feels good, when the skies are endlessly clear

Memories of you fall down on me

Hey, on days when the memories rise up, without fail, you come to me again

On & On - Boyfriend

 


 

From: DKS

I hope you still remember not to eat too much, I make you something.

 

Bomi held her phone close to her chest, where it tingled and hurt at the same time. Of course she remembered, but she wondered if it’s still the same – Kyungsoo would pack snacks and sometimes even lunch for both of them and all Bomi needed to prepare was her camera. Bomi wasn’t sure until what point Kyungsoo’s ‘Just like what we used to do’ meant.

 

She was long since wake up, taking time under the shower, rinse her hair thoroughly and even washed up twice, carefully spraying one of her cheap cologne – one that she used 3 years ago, one that Kyungsoo remembered as her scent.  

 

Last night before went to sleep Bomi already rummaged through her closet, trying to find something to wear for her date – Is this count as a date, she wondered – and after hours and every surface of her floor and her bed covered with clothes, Bomi thought, It’s Kyungsoo. I don’t need to impress him anymore. Still, she chose something that suited Kyungsoo’s taste.

 

She’s done with her preparation, so she went down the stairs to the dining room, where Sunggyu was eating his breakfast, her mother busied in the kitchen, and his father reading newspaper in the living room. Sunggyu’s eyes were fixated on the TV before Bomi came over and sat beside him.

 

“Where are you going?” he asked, mouth still filled with food.

 

“Sunggyu-yah,” their mother calmly called her son, reminded him not to talk with mouth full.

 

“Just, somewhere,” Bomi reached out her hand to take her side dishes. “With my friends… Yesterday wasn’t enough.”

 

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes and stared at his sister, as if he could read her mind by doing so. Bomi looked back at him, humming, “Hm?” with innocent expression, chewing on her breakfast slowly. But then Sunggyu shrugged and continued his breakfast. “When will you come back? We haven’t really done anything together, you know.”

 

“Umm… I’ll come back before dinner?” Bomi mumbled, unsure. “Don’t worry, Oppa, summer break just started! You’ll sick of me soon enough.”

 

“Do you need a lift? Compensation for yesterday,” Sunggyu wiped his mouth, done with his breakfast. “By the way, that punk didn’t try to do anything to you, right? You didn’t tell me anything yesterday.”

 

Bomi sighed and shook her head in disbelief. “That punk has a name, Oppa, and it’s Do Kyungsoo, and no, he didn’t do anything.” She checked her phone; Kyungsoo said he’s already departed from his house earlier. Three minutes more. “Oppa, stop being mean to Kyungsoo.”

 

Sunggyu scoffed.

 

“Actually,” Bomi wiped too, after only three spoon of rice, “Stop being so protective, I’m already 20, you’ve got to accept it sooner or later.” Bomi came to her mom, kissed her on the cheek while saying, “Thank you for the food, Mom, I’ll wash the dishes for dinner, but this morning it’s Sunggyu Oppa’s turn.”

 

“Since when it’s my turn?!” Sunggyu yelled. “Yah, Bomi!” but his sister ignored him, already went to their father to kiss him goodbye. “… It’s weird, why did you eat so little? Are you on diet? And where are you going?” he managed to yell before his sister out of the door.

 

Kyungsoo was already waiting in front of Bomi’s house, holding his bike on his side. Bomi ran to him, “Hurry hurry hurry before Sunggyu Oppa came out!” she cried out in a whisper, taking big steps to Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo grinned at her words, and she’s right, just when Bomi climbed to the back rack and Kyungsoo asked, “Ready?”, Bomi’s front door wide open and Sunggyu emerged. He caught a glimpse of Kyungsoo and Bomi.

 

“Hurry, Oppa!” Bomi hit Kyungsoo’s back, and he’s immediately pedaling.

 

“… YA! DO KYUNGSOO, YOON BOMI!” they could hear Sunggyu’s scream behind them, but Kyungsoo’s fast, and soon they could no longer see Sunggyu’s figure.

 

Bomi laughed cheerfully, her arm already wrapped around Kyungsoo’s waist automatically; the body remembered.  

 

“I am so dead,” Kyungsoo murmured, but there’s a smile in the corner of his mouth, and his expression didn’t look so bad either.

 

“Oppa, it’s the same bike? Your uncle keeps it?” Bomi asked, noticing the bike they rode. “Woaa… it sure brings back memories,” she added after Kyungsoo nodded his head. Bomi realized that her heart was beating normally now even though she hugged Kyungsoo, there’s no excessive throbbing like yesterday when Kyungsoo helped her with the safety belt. Maybe because the road they took was familiar. Maybe because the ride with the bike was familiar. Maybe because Kyungsoo’s back was familiar. Maybe because everything was familiar, everything was right where they belong.

 

Kyungsoo, too, was more than aware of Bomi’s arm in his waist. The truth was he already thought about it last night. And the truth was he liked it; the hug, and Bomi’s scent that filled his lungs. It felt comfortable. It felt like coming home. It just simply felt right.

 

And he thought, Just one more day. Just for this day.

 

While pedaling, Kyungsoo’s eyes wandered around. After he and his family moved to the city, he only went back a couple times when there’s reunion, and he didn’t spend many days in the town. “Bbom… a lot of things have changed, aren’t they?” he said softly to Bomi.

 

“Hmm, I guess so? I only away for a couple months so I don’t notice it, but it must be different for you, Oppa. Ah, you know, the food stall where we used to hang out after school? It’s no longer there… And the store where we bought ice cream after watching Minseok Oppa’s soccer game, it’s been replaced with a new one…,” Bomi tried to remember what else had changed after Kyungsoo moved. “… but the park’s still there.”

 

“You’re still hungry, right? Should we eat there?” Kyungsoo tilted his head a little to the back, looking to Bomi over his shoulder.

 

“Um!”

 

“Alright!”

 

Kyungsoo pedaled diligently, humming all the way, before Bomi realized what song it was and singing along. It was DBSK’s Hug.

 

Bomi and Kyungsoo went way back, before junior high, before Seyeon and Jongdae. In fact, the first time they met was through Sunggyu and Minseok. All of them went to the same primary school, where Sunggyu and Minseok knew each other because they were in the soccer club together. They had a good hyung-dongsaeng relationship, and they started to go home together and played soccer in the park, along with their dongsaengs. And that’s how Bomi and Kyungsoo got close.

 

Eventually Sunggyu stopped playing soccer, then he and Minseok went to different junior high school, but because Bomi and Kyungsoo were in the same class during junior high school they were even closer, and they still came to that park.

 

Kyungsoo also made his confession in that park.

 

When they reached the park, there weren’t many people, maybe because it’s still quite early in the morning. Bomi jumped from the bike and dashed to the swings before they were occupied by another person.

 

Kyungsoo smiled when he saw that, shaking his head at Bomi’s love to the swings. He took a container from his bike’s basket, and approached Bomi, sat himself in the swings next to Bomi. Kyungsoo opened the container and handed it to Bomi.

 

“Woooo… Oppa, your skill definitely getting better,” Bomi commented, eyeing the sandwiches in the container. “Is this-”

 

“Not spicy, no tomatoes, I put a lot of cheese,” Kyungsoo replied before Bomi could finish her question. The girl beamed at him. “Seriously, Bbom, you should learn to eat tomatoes.”

 

“Nope, tomatoes are yuck. I can live without them,” Bomi carefully took one piece of the sandwich. Kyungsoo stared at her nervously, waiting for her comment. Bomi’s eyes widened after her first bite. “… Oppa,” he looked at Kyungsoo, “… you… Waaah. What is this? Are you attending culinary school? How come it tastes so good? Daebak!”

 

Kyungsoo let out a relief sigh and chuckled to cover the blush that creeping into his cheeks. He also took one piece of sandwich and ate it.

 

“Do you always cook for your friends? And the members?” Bomi asked curiously, taking another sandwich that Kyungsoo passed to her.

 

“Members, yes. Friends, no.”

 

“Huh? Why?”

 

“Well, I haven’t known a lot of people at college, and you know… I only cook for people that I care about. Except Jongdae.  I gave him all my experimental food,” Kyungsoo laughed to himself. He suddenly added, almost sounded complaining to Bomi, “Jongin always says my food was only ‘okay’, but he eats like there’s no tomorrow.”

 

“… Does Jongin-ssi know?” Bomi pushed her swings backs, and then pulled her legs up, swung hard to the front. “… About me. Us.”

 

“… yes,” Kyungsoo answered, his eyes watching Bomi swung high with worry. “Be careful, Bbom. … I hope it’s okay? Jongin won’t tell the others.”

 

“It’s okay…,” Bomi answered, her voice trailed every times she swung back and forth. “But Oppa, please tell him to not stare at me like I’m a newly discovered species?”

 

“He’s just curious about you. I’ve been telling him about you since high school,” Kyungsoo closed the container in his hand, his eyes to the ground. “… Bbom? You do know that Baekhyun try to hook you up with Chanyeol?”

 

Bomi stepped his feet to the ground, stopped swinging around. She turned to Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo looked up, staring back at her.

 

Then Bomi looked away, spotting some kids playing with a ball. “Hey! Can Noona play with you?” she stood up, leaving Kyungsoo in the swings.

 

Kyungsoo sighed, but soon his gaze softened looking at Bomi playing soccer with the children, laughing not-so-girly with wide open.  

 

Just for this day.

 


 

They spent quite a long time in the park; Bomi playing around and taking pictures of the kids, and then pictures of Kyungsoo sitting in the swings, Kyungsoo eating, Kyungsoo talking to a crying kid, Kyungsoo’s back, Kyungsoo’s shoes, Kyungsoo’s smile, pictures of Kyungsoo.

 

She also forced Kyungsoo to take her silly pictures, and even taking selca with Kyungsoo.

 

Bomi wanted to take as many pictures as she could, and Kyungsoo understood.  

 

The sun was slipping through noon, and their next destination was their old junior high school building. Kyungsoo parked his bike in the rack, and again, Bomi lead their way, couldn’t contain her excitement.  

 

“Everything seems smaller,” Bomi’s fingers brushed the wall in the hallway when they made their way to their old classroom.

 

“… but you didn’t grow that much,” Kyungsoo mumbled. “… maybe gain a few kilos…”

 

“Ya! Oppa!” Bomi hit his arm. “… Now you make me regret eating all those sandwiches…”

 

“I also make lunch, you know.”

 

“You’re really on a personal mission to make me fat, aren’t you?!” Bomi poked Kyungsoo’s side. The boy grinned and grabbed Bomi’s hand to stop her for doing so. Their hands remained intertwined for a slight second before both of them broke away.

 

Bomi stuck her head into the classroom before stepped in. She walked to one desk and sat down, arms stretched in the surface of the desk, feeling it and almost hugging it. Suddenly she jerked up and checked the drawer, her fingers traces a scribble written in a dark ink. “It’s still here!” she cried out. “Aah… how nostalgic.”

 

Kyungsoo leaned over behind Bomi, reading the graffiti. Yoon Bomi and Do Kyungsoo, under a sketch of love umbrella. He chuckled. “That’s vandalism,” he pinched Bomi’s nose, and the girl squealed. “You loved me so much, don’t you?”

 

“Ppfft… Said the guy who declared his love for me in front of the whole school,” Bomi scoffed at him.

 

“It was Jongdaae’s idea!” Kyungsoo walked to his old seat, flustered. “Besides, I wasn’t declaring my love, I was simply dedicating the song for you! And I remember you were moved to tears at that time.”

 

“I did not!” Bomi shouted from her desk, Kyungsoo was two desks in front of her, in the opposite aisle.  

 

Kyungsoo sat in his seat, touching the desk’s surface with his fingers. “… I remember turning my head a lot to you…,” Kyungsoo said softly, but loud enough for Bomi to hear, “When the teacher called your name because you were sleeping, or to answer question, or because you were being too loud with Seyeon… And it’s strange, cause whenever I looked at you…,” Kyungsoo turned his head, and his gaze met Bomi’s, “… you were always looking at me.”

 

They were static in that position for a while, gazes locked into each other, unspoken words between.

 

Finally Bomi looked away. “… I did,” she mumbled.

 

“Hm?”

 

“… Love you so much.”

 

Kyungsoo said nothing, just gazing at Bomi’s side profile. He then cleared his throat, turning forward. He furrowed his eyebrows, trying to make his mind back to work properly.

 

“… Back then,” Kyungsoo started, but his voice was a little bit off, “… back then, Jongdae kept telling me to look out for Jonghwan. He said Jonghwan definitely like you. But, you know, we were dating, and we’re good friends with Jonghwan, so I told Jongdae I didn’t believe him. Then at the festival…,” Kyungsoo rubbed his neck, embarrassed by his own action in the past, “Jongdae was joking, telling me to dedicating the song for you. Then from the stage I saw Jonghwan talked to you. … So, umm… I said that to drive Jonghwan away. To let him and the whole school know that you… That you were mine.” Again, Kyungsoo cleared his throat and he reached out to his bag for a bottle of water.

 

This time it was Bomi’s turn to kept silent, staring at Kyungsoo’s back. Faintly, there were some shouts outside, from the school’s field.

 

She stood up, making a sound when she pushed the chair behind. “… I never think of Jonghwan that way,” she said, walking to the window. She could see the track field from the class room. “Oppa, let’s eat at the field’s side. There are some students practicing too… Remind me of Seyeon-ah.” Seyeon was in the track team, and they used to eat lunch beside the field.

 

Kyungsoo closed his bottle and put it back in his bag. “Okay.” He waited at Bomi at the door, and somehow now when they walked down their pinky fingers were intertwined.

 

They stopped beside the field, and sat down in the stairs on the side.

 

“Now, it’s my specialty, and I have a lot of confidence in it,” Kyungsoo said as he took out another container and prepared it between him and Bomi. He also carried plastic glass, chopsticks, forks, and he laid them all neatly. Bomi took pictures of them all.

 

“You’ll be a perfect wife,” Bomi muttered in between taking pictures.

 

They enjoyed the kimchi spaghetti Kyungsoo made; Bomi couldn’t stop saying “Daebak!” and raised her thumb while she ate, receiving gentle scold from Kyungsoo because of it. After half an hour there, eating and just watching the students in the field, Kyungsoo packed all of his stuff back to his bag. He rose from his seat, and offered his hand to Bomi. “Let’s walk around.”

 

Kyungsoo led her to the school’s backyard, in which Bomi stopped walking, holding Kyungsoo back with her. “Oppa,” she called him, reluctant in her steps there.  “… you’re way too sentimental.”

 

“… I am,” Kyungsoo admitted. “Come on.”

 

Bomi bit her lips, but ended up following Kyungsoo anyway. They sat down under one of the tree; Kyungsoo spread his handkerchief for Bomi to sit on.

 

Bomi bent her knees and hug them in her embrace, head rested on his knees. Kyungsoo stretched his legs, hands on his lap.

 

Shoulders against each other, pressing and reassuring. Warm and reminding.  

 

Kyungsoo exhaled deeply, and Bomi chewed the inside of . Both of them knew what they would talk about, what the end of this day. And both of them weren’t fond of the knowledge.

 

“Oppa… sing for me?” Bomi peeked from behind her strand of hairs that fell upon her face when she tilted her head towards Kyungsoo. “You know, I almost choked Jonghwan for talking to me when you and Jongdae were singing. It’s like being dragged to earth when I’m in heaven.” She blew up air, trying to lift her hair without moving her hands or her head.

 

Kyungsoo laughed warm-heartedly, tucking Bomi’s hair behind her ear. “Any request?”

 

“That song you used to sing… Open Arms.”

 

Kyungsoo’s hand lingered a little too long on Bomi’s hair. “Okay,” he smiled.

 

He closed his eyes when singing.

 

Lying beside you, here in the dark
Feeling your heartbeat with mine
Softly you whisper, you're so sincere
How could our love be so blind
We sailed on together, we drifted apart
And here you are by my side

 

Kyungsoo opened his eyes, and found Bomi burying her face in between her knees. Kyungsoo felt a little twitch in his stomach.

 

“Bbom…”

 

“I miss you,” Bomi’s voice was muffled but he could hear her perfectly. “I tried not to… I tried so hard… How could you do that? Left and not looking back? Didn’t you care about me? Did you know how broken I am?” Her shoulders began to shudder.

 

Guilt took over to Kyungsoo’s neck. “Please. Please don’t cry. Bbom,” Kyungsoo reached out to Bomi and hold her in his arms. “Please, please… Stop crying. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry,” he kissed the top of Bomi’s head. “I was a fool. Yoon Bomi, please stop crying? Hyung would hang my head, and probably skin me after.” Kyungsoo tried to joke, even though his eyes started to get teary, too.

 

But Bomi chuckled in his embrace.

 

Kyungsoo rested his chin on Bomi’s head. “… I-,” he swallowed, ready to let the truth out, “... I want to apologize. For being a jerk. For not giving you the reassurance you needed. For giving up on us. For being with her. And for leaving everything behind. Because-” Kyungsoo closed his eyes, “-it was easier that way. I thought… by did so, it’d hurt less for both of us.”

 

“… Did it hurt less?”   

 

“… If I don’t think about it… Yes.”

 

Bomi pulled herself from Kyungsoo. “Well, good for you.” There’s a pained and betrayed expression on her face, along with the trail of tears on her cheeks.

 

“I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo could only stare at Bomi, waiting for her answer.

 

Bomi closed her eyes tight, and when she opened it, she shook her head. “I was wrong too. If I trusted you more… You did say you’re only friends with that Unnie-”

 

“No, it’s my fault-”

 

“I know I’m a clingy girlfriend, Oppa. I get jealous easily. I shouldn’t, I should trust you,” Bomi turned to Kyungsoo. “And I never admit it… But I was wrong for not believing in you. And…,” she stopped, hesitated, “… about Chanyeol…”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes winced at the name, but he managed to hide it.

 

Bomi was oblivious, as she too focused to what she was going to say, all in one breath, “I didn’t do it on purpose, you know I’m not like that, and I-… I don’t know what to say,” her shoulders went down, defeated. “… I’m sorry, please forgive me… Don’t hate me…”

 

Now, seeing his Bomi half crying-half begging in front of him like that, for something that she shouldn’t apologize for, Kyungsoo wondered if being hit by a car could crushed him more. He took Bomi’s hand in his, making circle with his thumb on the back of Bomi’s hand.

 

“… It was pride, and jealousy,” he said, eyes to Bomi’s hand, “… Actually I was kind of happy when I met you in the café. And there’s this stupid thought… Maybe, just maybe… Maybe we can pretend I never messed us up, and maybe, we can start all over again…” There’s a lump on his chest, and he could hear Bomi’s silent cry. “The second thing that I need to apologize for… I’m sorry for all the stupid things I said to you that day. You’re much, much better than that.”

 

He turned to her, weak smile as he squeezed her hand, “… Chanyeol’s a good guy.”

 

But those words just sent Bomi to more tears.

 

“Stop crying, you little girl,” Kyungsoo smiled, wiping the tears away from Bomi’s face as she looked at him, still crying.

 

“Oppa…,” she whined, but Kyungsoo shook his head, determined.

 

“It’s okay, Bomi-ah,” Kyungsoo said softly.

 

His thumb stopped at Bomi’s cheek, unconsciously caressing the smooth skin under it. The sun was behind the clouds, no longer sending painful, stinging rays, and the breeze was sailing between the leaves, making rustling sounds around them, and the tree behind them casted shadow upon them, and they were unbelievably close.

 

Kyungsoo stared at Bomi’s eyelashes, wet with stain of tears.

 

Bomi could see her reflection in Kyungsoo’s big eyes.   

 

For a split second they were 15 years old teenager again, under the tree in school’s backyard, away from the crowd and the noise of the school’s festival.

 

Bomi almost closed her eyes.

 

y, free, and single, I’m ready too, bingo!

 

Both of them jolted in their place.

 

Kyungsoo looked away, abruptly wiped his face.

 

Bomi blinked, dazed, before she realized what made the sound. She pulled out her phone from her bag, and Sunggyu’s name was blinking in the screen, the phone still playing Super Junior’s y Free & Single.

 

Bomi winced before answering. “Yoboseyo, Oppa?” She immediately pulled away from the phone when Sunggyu’s voice blasting from the other side.

 

“YA, YOON BOMI! Tell Kyungsoo if he still wants to see the sun rise tomorrow to bring you home right now!” Sunggyu was loud enough that even Kyungsoo could hear him.

 

Bomi raised her eyebrows, looking at Kyungsoo, which also looking at her. Both of them chuckled.

 

“Yes, Hyung,” Kyungsoo leaned over to speak.

 

Bomi placed the phone to her ear, “Actually, no, Oppa, I’m running away with Kyungsoo. Bye.” And she ended the phone call, grinning.

 

“You know, I still want to see the sun rise tomorrow,” Kyungsoo said, looking a little bit worried.

 

Bomi turned her phone to silent mode and shoved it back to her bag. “Don’t worry, Sunggyu Oppa likes you.”

 

“Hmm… I’m not sure…” Kyungsoo wiped the traces of tears from Bomi’s face for real this time, even fixed her messy hair. Bomi was still, quiet under Kyungsoo’s care. “… Should we go home now?” he smiled to her.

 

Bomi nodded. “Can we buy ice cream on the way home…?” she appealed, standing up and brushed the dirt away from her clothes.

 

“You and Jongin should eat together sometimes… and hold an eating contest or something…”

 

“Maybe I should? I’ll talk to Jongin-ssi next time…”

 

Bomi was walking ahead of Kyungsoo, the sun shined on her as she told him something about Minah and her obsession over EXO, how Minah couldn’t stop talking about Baekhyun now.  

 

Kyungsoo followed behind her, only half listening to her story.

 

Seyeon’s question submerged in his head, again and again.

 

What if they’re dating, you okay with that too?

 

Odd as it seemed, Kyungsoo wanted Bomi in his life, he wanted Chanyeol in his life, and if the only way to have them both in his life was by letting them together, so be it.

 

But Kyungsoo wondered if he will ever be okay with that. 

 


 

Ah. It took so long for me to write this. Sorry if this is boring, I'm still struggling with description. My friends and I once talked about Unfinished Business, so this is Bomi and Kyungsoo finishing their unfinished business. 

And since I just found out how to check who gave me upvoted (hahahaha I didn't realize that I could), here's a shout-out to --nerdyexotic, strawbumbeez, and kariwinn! Thank you so muccccch *big virtual hug. And also to Ara2712 who always left a comment for me to read, thank youuu >3<

Thank you so much for reading this story, for subscribing and for the comments, I'm sorry I haven't replied it.

Lastly, Apink's win, EXO's perform in Russia, Infinite's comeback :D