To Be With You

Closer, Closer

 

  • Poster credit: unnielines @tumblr , whoever you are, I want to thank you again ;__; If there’s anyone who wants to make an edit from this fanfic I highly doubt anyone’s interested please tell me so I can put them in this story.
  • Apologize in advance that this chapter took a million years to be written. And it’s crappy. I’m not happy.

 


 

What are you doing? Do you even think of me?
I miss you so much that tears fall
But I still like you, because you always make me smile

Step – APink

 


 

It’s true that Chanyeol was oblivious and he’s a little bit dense and truthfully he’s not the most sensible person ever, but when he showed up at class in a hungry state – cause he woke up late and skipped his breakfast like usual – and Baekhyun magically pulled a lunch box from his bag, Chanyeol knew something was amiss. 

 

“Want some?” Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow, looking nonchalant as he tilted his lunch box to Chanyeol, offering him the sandwiches in it.

 

Chanyeol eyed the innocent sandwiches suspiciously. “... what did you put in it?”

 

“What?”

 

“You never bring lunch.”

 

“Well my mom feels generous lately.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes went back to the lunch box. Why it’s look familiar? But his growling stomach prevent him from thinking any further, so he shrugged the suspicious mind away and took one piece. Why it tastes familiar? Chanyeol chewed and chewed and since he also had an unfinished homework, he ate the sandwiches while copying Baekhyun’s work, not really realizing that he ended up eating the whole sandwich, or how Baekhyun grinned slyly at his side watching him eating all the pieces.

 


 

Bomi stared at her phone; the screen was displaying a picture of her and Chanyeol taken during one of their lunch date. Chanyeol was turning his head slightly to the side so the camera would capture his little dimple, and Bomi tap the screen on the dimple with her finger, making the photo zoomed in to Chanyeol’s face.

 

“Noona… When I was confused with my feelings, I used to close my eyes... and let my heart thought f-or me. I found the answer that way.”

 

Bomi closed her eyes.

 

“I’ll clear up my feelings… and then… when I can confidently say it... Guess it’s my turn to show it to him, right?”

 

When Bomi opened her eyes again, she a deep breath and typed a new message. She put down her phone when she’s done and now she’s crossing her fingers, waiting for a reply.

 


 

From: Chibi

Good morning :)

 

The text message was more effective than the repeated alarm that Chanyeol kept on ignoring by pressing the snooze button, because the tall guy sat up immediately, rubbing his eyes hard at the new message. It’s the first message Bomi sent to him since that day in the park and it came out of nowhere too, so Chanyeol was a little bit surprised. And he couldn’t deny that he missed this, the good morning texts.

 

Chanyeol just stared at his phone for the longest time, debating with his own mind. Reasoning that it would be rude to ignore the message, plus it’s only a simple good morning, Chanyeol decided to reply it.

 

To: Chibi

Morning.

 

There’s no immediate reply and now Chanyeol kind of wished he put a smiley earlier. He slightly pouted and rested his head back to the pillow, pulling the blanket up to his chin because it’s too early –his class was in an hour but fifteen more minutes sleep wouldn’t hurt anyone – but then his phone made a ding sound and Chanyeol threw his blanket aside, snatching his phone in the speed of light.

 

From: Chibi

Don’t go back to sleep, okay? Have a nice day!

 

“Are you psychic or what…,” Chanyeol mumbled. He tousled his hair and sighed, dragging his body lazily to the bathroom to get ready for his class.

 


 

“I don’t know that your mother bakes desserts,” Chanyeol said when Baekhyun brought brownies for their studying session.

 

“Dude, it’s my mom, not yours. Do you want it or not,” Baekhyun was good at pretending he’s annoyed. Well it’s more like he’s good at pretending, period.

 

“You’re the one who complained that your mother can’t cook! I’m sorry, Mrs. Byun,” Chanyeol mumbled as he took a big piece of the brownies. He realized that Baekhyun was staring at him, so he quickly said, “It’s delicious, tell that to your mom.”

 

Baekhyun smiled, satisfied. He also grabbed a piece and bit it, but immediately frowned. “… don’t you think it’s a little bit too sweet?” he asked, turning his head to Chanyeol.

 

“Ah, really?” Chanyeol already finished his first piece and his hand reached out for the second. “I don’t think so…? It’s perfect.”

 

Baekhyun stared blankly at Chanyeol for a few seconds before he shook his head, “Of course, you have sweet tooth,” he scoffed. “… You damn lucky bastard.”

 

“What?” Chanyeol didn’t sure he heard it right.

 

“Nothing!”

 

Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun repeatedly after that, realizing something was definitely wrong, but he couldn’t figure out what it was. He looked at the brownies that Baekhyun brought, again feeling the familiar feeling that he couldn’t recall. 

 

Later, when Baekhyun already went home, Chanyeol realized Baekhyun didn’t eat the brownies after his first bite.

 

“Of course, you have sweet tooth. … You damn lucky bastard.”

 

And then Chanyeol groaned to his palms because he thought he knew. 

 


 

From: Chibi

Good night! Have a sweet dream^^

 

To: Chibi

Good night to you too.

 

To: Chibi

Thank you for the brownies. It’s delicious.

 

The reply didn’t come right away and Chanyeol started to think maybe he’s wrong. But then it came.

 

From: Chibi

You’re welcome… :)

 

Chanyeol buried his head in the pillows, not quite sure about what he felt and what he should do.

 



“Christmas Party? Secret Santa?” Chanyeol repeated Baekhyun’s words. He narrowed his eyes at his best friend who only blinked at him innocently and Chanyeol wondered how many times Baekhyun used his puppy eyes to lured girls. He glanced at Kyungsoo who was playing Tekken with Suho in the living room of Oh’s residence and he went back to Baekhyun, whispering, “Is Kyungsoo…?”

 

“One hundred percent on board,” Baekhyun replied without missing a beat or letting Chanyeol finished his question. “Now take one paper and congratulation! You will be the Secret Santa of the person whose name is in the paper.” Baekhyun shoved his hands to Chanyeol, he carried the folded papers in his palms. “Hurry up!”

 

Suddenly Jongin stretched out his hand and picked a paper from Baekhyun’s hand. He unfolded the paper and clucked when he read the name in it. Now there were only three papers left on Baekhyun’s hand.

 

Hesitantly, Chanyeol picked up one of the paper and his eyes winced when he read the name in the paper. He looked at Sehun, being the last one who picked the paper but his face remained unfazed and he shoved his paper to his pocket with least interest. Baekhyun took the left-over paper and his eyes lit up, humming to himself when he shredded the paper into tiny pieces and threw it away. Chanyeol re-read his paper and he was pretty sure it was a set-up from Byun ing Baekhyun but he’s not entirely sure because Jongin, Sehun, and Baekhyun’s reactions were pretty natural.

 

“Can I change?” Chanyeol finally asked.

 

“Huh? Why? Do you get your own name?” Baekhyun asked with creased eyebrows.

 

Chanyeol hesitated for a second. “Umm… yeah.”

 

Suho laughed, not looking away from the TV’s screen. “Don’t lie, Chanyeol-ah. I get your name.”

 

“Hyung!” Baekhyun yelled. “Secret Santa! SECRET!”

 

Suho laughed again, “Sorry, Baek.”

 

Baekhyun grumbled and muttered under his breath because Suho ruined the whole Secret Santa thing but he said nothing out loud as he sat beside Kyungsoo and bugging him, telling him it’s his time to play.

 

Chanyeol looked down into the paper in his hand again. Maybe it’s a coincidence, he thought. He saw the other members picked up the papers in front of his eyes – save from three papers Baekhyun took for the girls – and they’re not fake, right, since Suho got his name? 

 

What Chanyeol didn’t know was the other boys already picked their papers before for the real Secret Santa, and the new papers that Baekhyun shoved to his face just now were all containing one name only; Yoon Bomi.

 


 

Soon the 23rd came, and Chanyeol was sitting at his couch, every now and then he secretly glanced to the kitchen where the girls were busy preparing the food. Once Bomi looked up exactly when he glanced, and Chanyeol looked away immediately.

 

Sehun who sat beside Chanyeol didn’t miss it and he poked Chanyeol’s cheek, “Haha, loser.”

 

“Shut up,” Chanyeol glared at him. Sehun leaned on him as the response, resting his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder. Chanyeol noted that Sehun got clingier now days, to everyone, but mostly to him and leaving Suho behind.

 

He checked on Baekhyun and Jongin – the boys were connecting the TV to Chanyeol’s laptop – and then asked in a hushed tone to Sehun, “What about you and Suho Hyung? Have you guys made up yet?”

 

Sehun shrugged lazily. Suho treated him like used to, like nothing happened between them, but Sehun just couldn’t. Even though everything’s the same, he knew it’s different. He couldn’t look at Suho’s face without feeling guilty, without feeling like he wanted to punch his cousin in the face.

 

Chanyeol sighed, knowing that he wouldn’t get any definite answer from Sehun. He wondered what’s the siblings’ problem was, why Sehun told Bomi about it but not to him. “Then, what about your application? Any reply?”

 

“… maybe next month,” Sehun said quietly.

 

“You haven’t told Suho Hyung?”

 

“Later.”

 

At that time Suho and Kyungsoo returned, they left earlier to buy things they forget to prepare. Suho only carried the groceries to kitchen and then he joined the boys in the living room, obviously avoiding Seyeon, while Kyungsoo stayed in the kitchen. Chanyeol couldn’t help but to glance again when he heard the girls’ laugh.

 

Chanyeol looked at Bomi and Kyungsoo nervously, but they looked like usual. It’s kind of hard to imagine them as a couple or Kyungsoo as the reason behind Bomi’s tears when they talked normally like now. He still got the laid-back vibe from Kyungsoo when he’s around Bomi, and Bomi still acted like her usual self too. All Chanyeol could see was two old friends and he didn’t know what he should do with this.

 

“Can we start now?” Baekhyun asked, directing his question to the kitchen.

 

“Yup, the popcorn’s ready!” Minah said, pouring the popcorn to the bowls.

 

They brought the snacks and the drinks to the living room and settled to watch the movie, the starter for their Christmas gathering. Minah and Suho sat on the armchairs, opposing each other, while Seyeon, Bomi, and Sehun sat on the couch and Sehun hugged Bomi’s arm, leaning to her, Chanyeol moved to the carpet with Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. Jongin turned off the lamps and when he returned he sat in front of Minah, leaning back to the armchair.


 


 

After watching Saving Santa, they ate dinner while talking and half-watching the shows in the TV. Sehun practically glued to Bomi, only leaving her side when Seyeon joined their conversation but he did it so subtly that no one even realized she’s avoiding Seyeon, except for Bomi and Suho. But most of the times Kyungsoo stayed with Seyeon, along with Jongin and Minah – for once the two didn’t pretend like they hadn’t meet up regularly and Seyeon teased them about it.

 

“Presents time!” Baekhyun yelled after he made sure everyone was done eating. The boy jumped to his feet and he skipped to the small Christmas tree on the corner, where all the gifts were put together under it. “Ready for your Secret Santa? I will distribute the presents, and then you will guess who’s your Secret Santa is, alright? The first present is for... Jin Seyeon!”

 

Seyeon stood up and took her present from Baekhyun. She opened the gift in front of them, revealing a thick self-improvement book. She stared at the book for two seconds before throwing the wrapper to Jongin’s head, “Yah! I told you I don’t want to read this!”

 

Jongin only chuckled, throwing back the wrapper to Seyeon.

 

Baekhyun continued distributing the presents, and when it’s Bomi’s turn, she stared at her new sketch book and drawing utilities confusedly. “… Minah?” she guessed, because the quality of the markers were the best, it cost quite a lot, and she thought only her fellow Design Interior student would know about stuff she needed.

 

“Nope, it’s not me!” Minah chirped happily. Of course all of them know who Bomi’s Secret Santa was except the girl herself.

 

“… Seyeon? Oh but you’re Minah’s Secret Santa…,” Bomi mumbled, realizing that Seyeon was already revealed to be Minah’s Secret Santa before. “I really don’t know, Suho Oppa?” she looked at Suho who smiled at her.

 

“It’s me,” Chanyeol said quietly, raising his hand while looking down and he missed the -eating grins his friends made. Baekhyun even secretly did a low-five with Minah. Kyungsoo too, was smiling softly and Jongin squeezed his shoulder.  

 

“Aaah… really? Thank you so much, Chanyeol! I love them!” Bomi’s spirit didn’t falter with Chanyeol’s less enthusiast actions, because she already made up her mind.  

 

They continued with the rest of the presents, and after Sehun revealed to be Baekhyun’s Secret Santa (“Oooh, maknae, you have sense too!” Baekhyun commented, trying out his new beanie and Sehun just looked at him smugly), Baekhyun distributed the next presents. “These presents are from our lovely leader Suho Hyung and our lovely Bomi-ah! Say your thanks to them! Thanks a lot Hyung, Bomi-ah!”

 

While the other was busy saying thank you to Bomi or Suho, there were two people that keep quiet, just staring at their presents. Chanyeol looked at his snapback and hoodie from Bomi while Seyeon looked at her headband and the Little Prince book from Suho.

 

Seyeon traced her finger over the cover of the book, remembering Suho’s words about the book being his favorite. She looked up and saw the look Chanyeol gave to his present from Bomi, and Seyeon smiled to herself. She wondered how much longer Chanyeol would keep trying to deny his own feelings.

 

But then again, maybe Chanyeol wasn’t the only one who kept on trying.

 


 

They sat in a circle, like they did back during their summer holiday, playing random games until Baekhyun suggested playing Truth or Dare. After Sehun drank something nasty Baekhyun and Chanyeol made, mixed of whatever ingredients they found in Chanyeol’s kitchen, it was Minah’s turn. She looked warily at Sehun’s death glare, almost like he’s ready to take his revenge on anyone, and she decided to choose Truth.

 

Sehun snorted. He didn’t have anything against Minah, it was just his normal stare and Minah was worried for nothing. “Okay, Truth. Well, Noona, have you ever lie to any of us? And if yes, you have to tell us the truth.”

 

Minah looked around, thinking. She almost said, “No!” confidently, but then her gaze stumbled back to Sehun and she went rigid. Suddenly Bomi and Seyeon sniffed, biting their lips to hold their laughter. Minah’s eyes widened and she shook her head to the girls, begging them to stop.

 

“Oh? What is it?” Baekhyun showed his interest and he poked Minah’s side, urging her to tell. “Why are Bomi and Seyeon laughing?”

 

“I-I don’t know!” Minah replied, panic.

 

“Hey, you chose Truth!” Jongin joined, curious about Bomi and Seyeon’s reactions.

 

“But it was nothing!” Minah sent pleading look to Sehun because he was the one who gave the order.  

 

Sehun shrugged. “Then it should be okay to tell us, right?”

 

“Come on, Minah, just tell them, as you said, it’s nothing,” Seyeon said. The she glanced at Jongin and smirked, “But I bet it’s big news to someone.” Jongin narrowed his eyes at Seyeon but Seyeon only cocked her eyebrow.

 

Minah looked around once again and her shoulders deflated when she realized all eyes were on her. She bit on her fingernails, didn’t know how to start her confession. “Uhm… I… you know… back then, when we went to holiday together…?” she asked to no one in particular. “Then… we had the drinking game…? Umm… actually I…”

 

“Oh my God, just say it already!” Seyeon couldn’t hold her patience any longer. “She’s a just like Sehun-ah.”

 

No one gave a reaction as much as Jongin, who coughed immediately. Kyungsoo patted his back and offered him something to drink.

 

“Seyeon-ah!” Minah whined, her face was red due to embarrassment.

 

“If I remember it correctly… Sehun was the only one drinking when it asked who’s … So you lied?” Suho asked her, a little bit confused.

 

Minah gave him a hesitant nod.

 

“Aigoo, why do you have to lie?” this time it was Baekhyun who asked.

 

“Because you all tease Sehun so much about it!” Minah explain in whiny voice.

 

“Ah… We’re sorry, it’s actually just our inside jokes, there’s nothing wrong at all with being a ,” Suho quickly said. “Right, Jongin?”

 

Jongin coughed again and he glared at his leader, why he had to ask him? But then he realized Minah was looking at him with a questioning look, and he shook his head so fast he got a little bit dizzy. “It… It doesn’t matter.”

 

“Noona,” Sehun raised his hand for a high-five with Minah, who slapped his hand sheepishly. “You know what, since we’re both s, maybe we should be each other’s first—”

 

“SEHUN-AH!”

 

“OH SEHUN!”

 

Bomi and Jongin yelled at the same time, and Minah only lowered her red face deeper.

 


 

It was already 11 PM when they decided to wrap the party, Baekhyun was a little bit sulky because Chanyeol and Bomi didn’t interact a lot other than the Secret Santa thing but he didn’t give up since there’s a second plan which was making Chanyeol took Bomi home.

 

Suho was the only one who brought a car and of course he offered to give ride to the kids. Baekhyun quickly moved to his leader’s side, clinging to his arm, “Hyung, you’ll take me home right? I’m a little bit tipsy…,” he said in an aegyo voice and pouted to Suho.

 

Chanyeol frowned. Since Sehun was automatically with Suho, it meant there were three empty seats, and wouldn’t it appropriate to let the girls ride the car with Suho? “Baek, can’t you take the bus? The busses are still running, let Suho Hyung drives the girls home.”

 

“I’ll walk,” Jongin suddenly said. “And…,” he cleared his throat, his arm raised slowly to reach out and when his arm landed on Minah’s shoulder, he pulled her to his side, “Since our houses are in the same direction...., I’ll…” Jongin paused again when he saw Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Seyeon grinned to him while Suho, Kyungsoo, and Bomi smiled meaningfully to him. Sehun only raised his eyebrows, daring him to continue talking, “… I’ll take her home…,” his arm fell awkwardly to the side and he scratched his head to cover it.

 

“Great!” Baekhyun nodded in approval, “Kyungsoo, you said your legs hurt, right? This can’t do! You should ride the car! And between Seyeon and Bomi… I’m sorry, one of you has to walk,” he said without any trace of guilt in his voice or his voice.

 

Chanyeol finally understood, it wasn’t the first time his friends pulled this kind of trick anyway. “Yah Byun Baekhyun!”

 

Seyeon didn’t want to ride on Suho’s car again, but she knew it was for Bomi. She turned to Bomi and said innocently, “Bomi-ah, I’m really sleepy, can I go home first? But will you be okay if you walk by yourself?” she purposely emphasized the last words and glanced to Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol’s jaw almost dropped as he couldn’t believe Seyeon was actually took part in it too. Normally Seyeon would choose to walk with Bomi even though there’s a blizzard outside, especially now that she’s not in a good term with Suho.

 

Bomi was actually embarrassed that her friends acted this way, but she couldn’t say anything. “It’s okay, Seyeon-ah, you go with Suho Oppa, I’ll walk.”

 

“It’s dangerous for a girl to walk alone at night, Bomi-ah,” Suho joined and now Chanyeol rubbed his face in desperation. “Maybe someone have to take you home.”

 

Chanyeol snapped, “That’s why you should drive her home, Hyung!”

 

“Omo,” Sehun feigned a gasp and honestly it didn’t go well with his stoic face, “Hyung, now you’re shouting to our leader? What’s the matter with you?”

 

“This is ridiculous!” Chanyeol yelled, getting frustrated that the guys ganged up on him. 

 

“Chanyeol,” Bomi called him, noticing that the boy was getting annoyed, “It’s fine, it’s not that far.”

 

Kyungsoo who just kept quiet watching the childish act his friends put finally looked up to Chanyeol. “Park Chanyeol, why don’t you take Bomi home? You don’t mind, right?”

 

“Kyung!” Chanyeol was at total loss.

 

Bomi stared at Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo looked back, there’s a small smile on his lips. “Come on, Suho Hyung, let’s go home. Merry Christmas, see you after winter break. Have fun,” he added to Jongin and Minah.

 

The two nodded before they realized they’re supposed to be only walking back home, not doing anything fun.

 

One by one they walked out from Chanyeol’s flat and Sehun was the last as he hugged Bomi tightly. He buried his nose on Bomi’s neck and whispered, “Merry Christmas, Noona. Good luck,” and he raised his head to smile at the girl.

 

Bomi ruffled Sehun’s hair and said, “Merry Christmas to you too, Sehun-ah. Tell me the result of your application, okay?”

 

Sehun nodded and he glanced to Chanyeol who stood behind Bomi, shoving his hands on his jeans with an irritated look. Their eyes met and Sehun had an evil smirk on his face. Before Chanyeol could process the meaning behind the smirk, however, Sehun already leaned down and kissed Bomi’s cheek.

 

“Sehun-ah!” Bomi was surprised with the sudden kiss and she hit Sehun’s arm lightly.

 

“Bye Noona, bye Hyung!” Sehun winked to Chanyeol who glared at him.

 

Now there’s only Bomi left at Chanyeol’s room.

 

She a deep breath and turned to Chanyeol, putting her best effort to smile, “So… Merry Christmas, and, uh… I hope you like my present,” Bomi smiled nervously and she played with her fingers. “And… ah… I guess I’m leaving now.”

 

Chanyeol only nodded. He saw Bomi forced a smile to him before leaving him alone.

 

Suddenly he thought about his new hoodie and snapback, the constant encouraging messages, the breakfast and lunch Bomi secretly packed for him. He raked his hair harshly, torn between his heart and his mind, but finally he grabbed his coat and ran out, going back only to lock his flat.

 

“Bomi!” he yelled. “Bomi, wait!”

 

Bomi stopped when she heard Chanyeol’s voice calling out to her name and she looked curiously as Chanyeol ran to her. “Chanyeol, what’s wrong?”

 

Chanyeol didn’t look at her eyes when he answered, “I’ll walk you to the bus station.”   

 

“Oh…,” Bomi looked down, still processing what just happened. “Oh, okay. Um, thanks.”

 


 

She’s still not used to walk with her new heels boots, but it looked very nice on her and it’s not too feminine but it’s still gave her a more lady-like appearance and it’s not too far from her usual boyish-look either, so Minah wore it today because she wanted to look nice – in general, she swore it’s not only because of Jongin, which, by the way, was walking ahead of her and didn’t even look back to wait for her.

 

Minah bumped to someone and she bowed, apologizing.

 

“What are you doing?” suddenly Jongin already in front of her, looking slightly annoyed with the frown between his eyes. 

 

The annoyed expression ticked Minah off. “It’s because of you!” Minah shouted. “You walk too fast, do you think all people have long legs like you?!” She huffed and walked pass Jongin, purposely bumping their shoulders. Minah secretly grimaced when her shoulder met Jongin’s toned arm.

 

Jongin sighed, ruffling his hair. Since when did he become this bad at dat—Jongin shook his head. No, it was not a dat— Jongin walked to Minah and grabbed her hand without looking. “You walk carelessly, I just feel bad for other people if you bump into them,” he mumbled, feeling that Minah was staring at him. “… Why is your hand so cold?!” it wasn’t necessary for Jongin to yell, but he did anyway, shoving both his hand and Minah into his coat’s pocket.

 

Minah, for once, had no words and she just stared at her hand in Jongin’s grip.

 

“Are you tired? Already sleepy?” suddenly Jongin asked with a soft voice and a concerned look, and Minah realized she had been tuning out the world when she stared at her hand.

 

“Huh? No, I’m fine,” Minah answered, still half-dazed.

 

“Good,” Jongin smiled nervously as he continued to lead her.

 

They walked in silence and Minah scolded herself mentally because What’s wrong with you Bang Minah? Minah always had something to say anytime and anywhere, that’s why she hit if off quickly with Baekhyun cause they’re the same type, but for some reasons she could not understand, Kim Jongin seemed have that effect on her, tying her tongue.

 

Jongin, on the other hand, started to feel sweaty in his palm despite the cold weather, Get a hold of yourself Kim Jongin, what’s there to be nervous about, he convinced himself. He scratched his nape with his free hand, remembering the way to the place he wanted to bring Minah to. Why Bang Minah, Jongin knew exactly why, but at this point he didn’t want to think more about it; especially after Minah’s confession at the party before.

 

“Oh! That’s the tree!” suddenly Minah exclaimed, taking Jongin’s attention. They could already see the tip of the giant Christmas tree in an avenue in front of a mall. The giant Christmas tree was decorated with Christmas lamps and they would be at midnight, which was 15 minutes more. Apparently there would be an event tomorrow in the avenue. Minah’s steps became lighter and she urged Jongin to walk faster with her, tugging at Jongin’s hand.

 

There were a lot of people gathered there, there’s a street musician with his guitar singing carol songs, and there were people selling Christmas décor, accessories, and also street food.

 

Jongin looked around and noticed the lovey-dovey aura around them, couples holding hands and some even kissing each other giddily, the Christmas feeling already caught up to all of them. He let go of Minah’s hand. “Um, do you want to eat something?” he asked, just to filled the silence between them.

 

“Ah, no, I’m already full…,” Minah said, rubbing her hands together after Jongin let her hand go.

 

“I’ll buy something to drink, wait here.”

 

Jongin returned with two cups of hot chocolate and he handed one of them to Minah. “You can warm your hands with this.”

 

Minah almost said that Jongin’s hand was warmer.

 

They managed to get a seat on one of the bench although it’s a little bit far from the tree, but they still could see it perfectly. Again, they fell into a silence.

 

It was weird, because they had been meeting frequently before and they always had something to talk about even though it’s mostly Minah who talked and Jongin listened, replying and throwing a comment to show his opinion about the matter. Sometimes Jongin talked too, stories from the books he read and his dreams and visions while Minah listened attentively, asking the right questions to keep the conversation going.

 

One day, out of the blue, Jongin said that his family was the type that insist a big family dinner upon Christmas night, and he asked Minah if she’s free on the 23rd. She said yes, and somehow they had a dat—an appointment for the 23rd, that, was before Byun Baekhyun and his glory plan decided to take action on the said date.

 

So Jongin cancelled the reservation he made for a restaurant they wanted to try, and even though they spent the night with the guys, Jongin and Minah still decided to check the giant Christmas tree – and exchanged their gifts there.

 

“Do you still feel cold?” Jongin reached out to Minah’s hand and he squeezed it for a second.

 

“N-no, it’s alright.”

 

Jongin nodded, taking back his hand.

 

Minah felt heat was creeping up her cheeks, because Jongin was kind, but not this kind. She cleared and decided to give her gift to Jongin now. “Um, this is my gift for you. Merry Christmas, Kim Jongin.”

 

Jongin turned his head and faintly smiled, ducking his head to let Minah wrap the checkered red scarf around his neck. He let Minah fixed the scarf for him while he just looked at Minah’s serious face in front of him. “… How is it?” he asked after Minah was done, observing Jongin wrapped in her gift.

 

“You look good with red!” Minah said, beaming happily, satisfied with her gift.

 

“Thank you,” Jongin touched his scarf, resisting the smile in the corner of his lips.

 

“Now where’s my gift?” Minah extended her hand to Jongin.

 

“Come here.” Jongin put his drink away and signaled for Minah to shift closer, filling the empty space between them. He pulled something out from his pocket and placed it on Minah’s palm. “I don’t know what you like, but I think… I think it will suit you.”

 

Minah stared at the small red box in her hand, having a hunch of what Jongin’s gift could be. She opened the box to found a necklace with a small pink flower as the pendant.

 

“Do you like it?” Jongin asked, clearly nervous, staring at Minah to see her reaction.

 

Minah was rendered speechless and could only nod, still staring at the necklace in the box.

 

“Let me help you with that,” Jongin took the necklace carefully and he leaned on to Minah. Jongin thought their position was rather awkward, Minah’s face was so close beside him. Jongin squinted his eyes, it’s dark and Minah’s hair was in the way. He wondered how the guys in the dramas could do that, clasping the hook of the necklace, when he struggled like this. But he finally did it, and he retreated to look at her.

 

Minah touched the pendant of her new necklace, and she looked up to Jongin. “How do I look?” she asked worriedly. She never got jewelry as a present before, even more something as beautiful and feminine like the necklace Jongin gave her, Minah wasn’t sure she would look good with it.

 

Jongin stared at Minah and now he could no longer resist smiling. “You look… beautiful,” Jongin said. “… You look beautiful.”

 

Suddenly Minah realized that Jongin was staring intensely at her and he moved closer, slightly holding her elbow. She swallowed down as her heart beat quickened, was Jongin going to… do what she thought he was going to do? Jongin’s face was right in front of her and Jongin brushed away her fringe from her face.

 

That’s when Minah shut her eyes close so tight it hurt.

 

She waited because she could feel Jongin was still right in front of her and she didn’t know why Jongin didn’t move, but then finally she felt something flicked her forehead. “AAW! It hurts!” Minah opened her eyes in a snap, rubbing her forehead. Jongin was chuckling, he already returned to his place.

 

“What was that for?!” Minah yelled at him but Jongin didn’t answer, he only buried his face in his new scarf until half of his face hidden behind the scarf. Minah huffed and turned away, muttering, “Jerk,” under her breath.

 

She didn’t get to sulk for too long because the clock hit midnight and the lamps in the giant tree were , people around them cheered when the bright light lit up the area. Minah cheered too and she clapped her hands excitedly. “Jongin, Jongin, look! Waaaah, it’s so beautiful!”

 

Jongin glanced at Minah, didn’t entirely listening to her blabber. He only took her excitement to his heart, thinking that she’s indeed innocent and still very much like a child. Now he got it when Bomi said Minah was innocent and probably couldn’t differentiate her feelings.

 

He smiled to himself.

 

It’s okay. Jongin was not in a rush.

   


 

It was quiet, but Bomi felt – well, truthfully she hoped – that it’s a different kind of quiet than their last time together, when Sehun had his breakdown and Chanyeol drove her home. Tonight it’s less tense and more toward awkward, and she could tell that she’s not the only one nervous because Chanyeol kept on changing the leg he used to support his weight and he rubbed his nose too many times and shoved his hands into his pocket instead of crossing them in front of his chest.

 

They’re waiting for the bus now, and Bomi cupped her hands in front of , trying to warm them up. Chanyeol glanced down and without a word he stood closer to the girl, blocking the wind for her. Bomi bit her lips to suppress the smile, it’s still too early to assumed anything. She wished the bus would be late.

 

But a moment later finally the bus was there, and Bomi sighed, ready to say goodbye to Chanyeol. To her surprise, Chanyeol board the bus with her.

 

“Chanyeol?” she tilted her head.

 

“I’ll take you home,” Chanyeol simply said. He placed his hand on the small of her back and lightly pushed her to the back of the bus into a pair of empty seats and Bomi slipped into the seat near the window.

 

To make things less suffocating, as usual, Bomi turned to her ipod. “… Um, do you want to listen together?” she asked, holding one earphone near Chanyeol’s ear. Chanyeol looked at her from the corner of his eyes and he nodded, leaning down a little, gesturing for Bomi to put in the earphone into his ear.

 

After listening to the song for a while, Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows. “… oh?” Bomi looked at Chanyeol when the boy made the voice, “… this is the same song that we listened before… We also in a bus at that time,” Chanyeol tried to remind Bomi.

 

“Ah really? This is my favorite song so… I guess I don’t change my playlist,” Bomi checked the playlist in her ipod.

 

Chanyeol nodded and listened to the song, somehow more relaxed now, either because of the song or because of the memories the song carried. His fingers drummed to his lap unconsciously, following the song’s beat. “What’s the song’s about?”

 

“Hmm… If I’m not mistaken, it’s about wanting someone to be his lover… He wants to call the girl as ‘mine’,” Bomi tried to explain and when she looked to the side, Chanyeol was staring at her. Their eyes met for a second and the two quickly looked away, Chanyeol cleared his throat and Bomi touched her burning cheek with the back of her hand.

 

“… So it’s like that…”

 

The song came to an end, and it played another song. Out of nowhere Chanyeol took out his own phone, pulled the earphones from Bomi’s ipod and plugged it into his own phone. “This is my favorite song,” Chanyeol mumbled lowly.

 

Bomi only nodded her head although she’s a little puzzled why Chanyeol suddenly told her his favorite song.  She faintly remembered the song was Infinite’s I’m Going To You. Chanyeol raised the volume a little bit, right at the chorus part.

 

I am going to you right now, please wait a little for me
I can’t go on if it’s not you
I am going to you

 

Bomi blinked her eyes. She didn’t pay a lot of attention before but because Chanyeol raised the volume she listened to the lyric closely. Bomi wondered if Chanyeol wanted her to listen to the song because of the lyric. She looked to the side, and even though Chanyeol didn’t say anything and kept his eyes straight, Bomi could see the tip of his ears reddened.

 

The rest of the trip was quiet again, they went back to listening to Bomi’s playlist, and Chanyeol grinned widely when there were some of EXO’s demo songs in it. But his grin disappeared when he realized it was Kyungsoo’s voice, and Bomi didn’t know whether she should change the song or not.

 

Chanyeol walked her to the front of her house, and judging by the lights from inside, it seemed like Seyeon was already home.

 

Bomi stood up in a step right in front of the door and she turned around, about to say her thank and goodbye to Chanyeol. She froze when she found Chanyeol’s eyes right in front of hers, the step and the heels she wore made her more or less in the same height with Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes were so big, staring at her, and now both of them had flashback about their first encounter in the party, months ago; what started it all.

 

“Chanyeol...,” Bomi spoke first. “... About you, I—”

 

“Kyungsoo...,” Chanyeol cut her, “... Kyungsoo and you...”

 

“We’re friends,” Bomi’s heart sank a little with the mention of Kyungsoo’s name. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were best friends, she understood, but it started to get her frustrated. It’s not like she had a choice on who she liked. “Always had, always will.”

 

Chanyeol swallowed and nodded.

 

Bomi couldn’t take it anymore. “Chanyeol, I’m sorry for lying, for not telling you, and I know I’m asking too much for you to forgive me, but I just want you to know that I—”

 

“It’s late,” Chanyeol cut her off again, almost like he didn’t want to hear what Bomi’s going to say. “You should... You should go in.”

 

Bomi stared at Chanyeol, desperate, but then she gave up. “Okay... Thank you for walking me home... Good night.”

 

She already turned her body around when suddenly Chanyeol grabbed her arm. “Wait! Ah don’t turn around!” he quickly added. Bomi stood in her place, confused. “... What am I doing...,” Chanyeol muttered to himself, sighing.

 

Bomi was startled when Chanyeol rested his forehead in Bomi’s shoulder. “Yoon Bomi,” he whispered, “Can you… Can you wait for me a little longer...? I know it’s selfish...”

 

For a moment the words got caught up on Bomi’s throat because Chanyeol’s voice was so sincere yet insecure, like he’s putting a foot on the ice to check whether it would crack with his weight or not. Bomi clenched her fists, wanting nothing more than to turn around and hug Chanyeol and told him her feelings but she knew he’s not ready yet. He trusted her and she hurt him. There’s nothing she could do to change the past, but she could make the best for their future.

 

It’s her turn to wait for him.

 

“It’s not selfish,” Bomi said softly, “Not at all. I can wait.”

 

Chanyeol stayed in his position for a while and Bomi listened to his breathing.  

 

Finally Chanyeol lifted his head.  “You should go inside for real now, it’s cold.”

 

Bomi could feel a little on her right wrist, where she wore the bracelet from Chanyeol. “Good night… Yoon Bomi.”


 


 

Again, I’m very sorry that it took more than a month, I thought for sure by now I already finished this story -__- My thoughts are everywhere, I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of typos and grammatical errors. And, recycling scenes because lack of ideas ahahaha. Seriously. If you have anything to ask about the whole plot, ask away and I’ll answer it on the last author’s note.

The next chapter will be the last, then a short epilogue. Hopefully it won’t take as long as this chapter. I don’t really remember what or who needs an end besides Bomi/Chanyeol, please remind me?

Shamelessly promoting my other stories:

 

And this is BONUS SCENE, basically what happened when I left my laptop in the middle of writing and my sister took over:

 

Minah stared at the small red box in her hand, having a hunch of what Jongin’s gift could be. She opened the box to found a necklace with a small pink flower as the pendant.

 

“Do you like it?” Jongin asked, clearly nervous, staring at Minah to see her reaction.

 

Minah was rendered speechless and could only nod, still staring at the necklace in the box.

 

“Let me help you with that,” Jongin took the necklace carefully and he leaned on to Minah.

 

“Let me kiss you too,” Jongin suddenly added. He pulled Minah’s face closer to his. “Chuuuu~~”

 

“KYYAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH…!!!!!  ERT! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING…!!!” “Minah strangled Jongin’s neck with full of power (Jongin wondered where this cute girl power came from… She didn’t look like a person who could even kill an ant).

 

“AACKKK… aaacckk Mi-Minah… I-I can’t br-breaathhhe… Mi-miaan…,” Jongin begged to Minah with full difficulty to breath.

 

“NO WAY! YOU ERT!”

 

“Min-minah… Y-you don’t want… police... f-found my b-body… right?” Thank God, even she was still a bit hesitated, Minah finally release her strangle a little by little. Jongin felt he almost saw the door’s hell when suddenly a huge flow of air came back rushing to his lungs, settling him back to earth once again. Jongin’s back to life.

 

“YAH! If you dare to do that once again, I’ll stab you in your heart with my appa’s samurai!” Minah yelled to him.