Hot Season of the Year Part III

Closer, Closer

friendly reminder: 7000 words ahead

 


 

Kim Jongin's Day

 

Naeng Myun - Park Myungsoo & SNSD's Jessica

 

 

Bomi and Jongin decided to walk, since Jongin wasn’t entirely sure about his driving – even in his normal, healthy condition. Bomi didn’t mind, she just a little bit worried about having to leave Sehun dealt with his drunken hyungs and noonas. Jongin said something about it was the time for Sehun to grow up and face the world.

 

“But Jongin-ssi, are you alright? I mean, don’t you have any headache, or…?” Bomi asked before they walked very far from the lodge.

 

“If I have to babysit Baekhyun and the others, my headache will get worse,” Jongin replied flatly. He rubbed his eyes, they felt heavy and puffy and simply hurt.

 

They walked again in a rather awkward silence.

 

“So…-” Bomi and Jongin started at the same time, and then Bomi burst into laughter while Jongin smiled weakly. “You go first,” Jongin said, scratching his head. He eyed Bomi cautiously, this was the first time he had a chance to talk with her alone.  

 

“Op- Kyungsoo said we should hold an eating contest, between us two,” Bomi said, swinging her hands while she walked.

 

“You’re good at eating too?” Jongin tried his best to not checking out Bomi’s body.  

 

“According to Kyungsoo,” Bomi smiled. She walked a little bit in front of Jongin, on the higher side of the sidewalk, and she had her arms stretched to balance herself. “But it’s partly his fault! He cooks really well now.”

 

“He only cooks for the people he cares about,” Jongin knew he shouldn’t pry, but he couldn’t help it. Yoon Bomi had filled Kyungsoo’s stories in their 2 years of friendship; she was slipped in here and there. Kyungsoo wasn’t mentioned her name, sometimes just as ‘my friend’, sometimes ‘my ex-girlfriend’, sometimes out of nowhere he would say ‘She does that too’. But the way Kyungsoo spoke about that person was different, and soon Jongin learned to differentiate whenever Kyungsoo talked about that person. Kyungsoo had made Jongin curious, that person seemed like the dorkiest, cutest, nicest girl ever walking on earth. And the girl managed to destroy her image in Jongin’s head by sleeping around with a stranger; Park Chanyeol, on top of that.

 

“… I know,” Bomi answered softly. “Kyungsoo talks a lot about you, Jongin-ssi,” suddenly she added.

 

“I can’t say the opposite about you,” Jongin replied, his eyes watching Bomi’s steps in the narrow part of the sidewalk. Why he felt he already know what’s coming next? “… be careful!” he grabbed Bomi’s arm right in time to hold the girl from falling when she slipped.

 

Bomi turned to him, grinning. “Thank you.” But she continued to walk on the narrow path instead of Jongin’s side, and Jongin wasn’t surprise at all. Jongin blamed Kyungsoo for his knowledge about Bomi.

 

“Kyungsoo never has problem at making friends,” Bomi’s words made Jongin snap back to reality. “Kyungsoo, however, has problem with opening up.” Jongin agreed, but he said nothing; hands on his jeans’ pocket, eyes on Bomi’s steps. “Even though he has a lot of friends, he rarely talks about himself. That’s why, Jongin-ssi, I’m glad knowing he has someone to talk to.” Bomi jumped to Jongin’s side when the higher sidewalk ended. “Thank you,” she looked up at Jongin and smiled.  

 

Jongin stared at her for three seconds before he shrugged. “… no problem.” He began to see the girl Kyungsoo adored.

 

After 10 minutes of walking, they entered a convenience store.

 

“By the way, can you do something about your friend,” Jongin trailed behind Bomi in the aisle.

 

“You mean Minah?” Bomi asked, standing in front of the refrigerator, picking on what kind of juice she wanted to buy.

 

Jongin snickered. “What is wrong with her?” Even at the mention of her name annoyed Jongin. He liked to think he’s pretty cool with everything and that’s exactly what people thought of him, but he didn’t like how Minah treated Kyungsoo and then everything about her rubbed him in the wrong way.

 

“Minah’s a good girl, really. She’s just… Ah, sorry, I guess it’s my fault,” Bomi sighed. “… She has a bad image of Kyungsoo because of me.”

 

Jongin thought it’s a little bit sad, while he had good impression of Bomi from Kyungsoo, the opposite happened to Minah. He wondered what story Bomi told Minah. Then again, Kyungsoo was the one who breaking up their relationship, so Jongin concluded that Bomi took it hard.  

 

“Trust me…,” Bomi held a carton of apple juice and checked it, “She’s actually really sweet, and cheerful, and nice. It’s just the way she is,” finally Bomi put two cartons of apple juice into the shopping basket.

 

“Hm,” Jongin raised his eyebrows, not voicing his disapproval. His eyes landed on the apple juice in the basket. He was pretty sure apple juice was Kyungsoo’s favorite.

 

Bomi was already walking to the next aisle when Jongin leaned on behind her, putting a carton of grape juice in the basket. Bomi looked at him, confused. “Chanyeol likes grape juice.” He could see Bomi blinked before looking way, mumbling a soft ‘Thank you’ to him.

 

They went back after buying a few more things, Jongin carried the plastic bags while Bomi ate the ice cream she just bought.

 

“Jongin-ssi,” Bomi called after thinking for a while. Jongin turned and raised his left eyebrows, asking what’s wrong. “About Minah… As an apology, I’ll tell you something about Minah.” Bomi smiled playfully. “You can use it to if she’s being mean to Kyungsoo again, but please don’t tell the others. Actually…,” Bomi giggled, and Jongin looked at her impatiently, “You know Minah is a fan of EXO? Her favorite isn’t Baekhyun. It’s Kyungsoo.”

 

Jongin even stopped walking, his mouth slightly opened. “What? Really?”

 

“She practically worshipped him, she couldn’t stop talking about Kyungsoo,” Bomi’s face beamed with mischievous smile. “She said EXO’s vocalist has an angel’s voice that by hearing him singing will send your soul to heaven. I swear, I’m not lying!” She swore when Jongin still look at her in confusion.

 

“What…,” and then Jongin burst out laughing. “That’s so… She really said those kinds of things? Ah, great, now I can mock her about it,” Jongin grinned, satisfied.

 

“But don’t be too harsh to her, okay?” maybe it’s too late to be worried, but, still.

 

“Just until she apologizes to Kyungsoo.”

 

When they got closer to the lodge, from afar they could see two figures sitting on the porch; one was tall and had his arm locked into the other one, the blonde.

 

Jongin stole a glance at Bomi. Don’t pry, Jongin. Don’t. You know Kyungsoo wants to let it go…

 

“Do you like him?” still, Jongin asked.

 

Bomi the top of her ice cream, knew exactly who was Jongin talking about. She wondered if Kyungsoo asked Jongin to ask her. Probably not. He was never the type who cares too much.

 

Bomi’s eyes directed to Chanyeol, who also noticed her and now waving his hand while the other arm still locking Sehun’s neck.

 

Sure, the way their relationship started was... uncommon, and it certainly made her feelings to him… different. And Bomi couldn’t deny that Chanyeol gave her a nice feeling, and he always made her laugh. And yes, they went shopping before, and she went to cheer on his performance, and they texted each other regularly, but…

 

“I’ve just met him… around two months ago,” that was the answer that slipped from .

 

Jongin nodded.

 

She’s right.

 

Jongin slowed down his steps, matching Bomi’s pace. “Sorry I asked,” Jongin said. He nudged Bomi’s shoulder lightly with his own. “Don’t think about it too much.”

 

Before Bomi could say anything, Jongin walked faster to the lodge, ahead of her. “Oh Sehun! Help me!” he shouted to Sehun, raising his hands that carrying the plastic bags. “Hey, Bomi,” suddenly Jongin turned and walking backward to the lodge.

 

Bomi was startled by the way Jongin called her name, dropping the formality. “Y-yes?”

 

“The eating contest… Let’s have it sometimes,” he smiled to her.

 

Bomi’s smile was wide when she replied, “Okay!”

 

Somehow she felt like she passed an inspection.

 


 

Jongin reached the lodge first, and he handed the plastic bags to Sehun, so Chanyeol let the maknae go and the boy went in with the groceries. But instead of directly following Sehun inside, Jongin was eyeing Chanyeol. “How come you still look okay?” Jongin asked, almost sound irritated. “I swear you drank as much as me and even more last night.”

 

Chanyeol laughed and he just shrugged away. He did look pretty normal, compared to Jongin and most definitely Kyungsoo.

 

“You beast,” Jongin muttered under his breath before went inside.

 

Bomi caught up behind him, and Chanyeol saw her; he opened his mouth in Bomi’s ice cream.

 

“I bought ice cream for you all, you know,” but Bomi still handed her ice cream to Chanyeol’s mouth.

 

Chanyeol leaned over to take a bite, nodding his head nonchalantly. Two’s a charm, apparently, cause he no longer thought of indirect kiss and all the teenage girl’s stuff, but still he thought it would be wiser if he didn’t look at Bomi’s lips – he might be not driving, but who knew of what kind of disaster that could be happen this time.

 

Bomi flopped down beside him, and Chanyeol opened his mouth. “Sehun scared me this morning. He offered me breakfast and even poured me milk, and I needed to yank the apron off from him. I almost feel like we’re newlywed.”

 

Bomi chuckled. “Really? Wow, I asked him to taking care of you, not becoming your wife…”

 

Inside, Jongin slipped down into the dining chair beside Suho – the grumpy, sulky, deep eye-bags, wrinkled forehead, bed-hair Suho. Suho looked like an entirely different person now, as the guy propped his head on one hand, stirring the cup of tea Sehun made for him with least interest, liked a gangster or something – a very handsome gangster, nevertheless.

 

But Sehun passed him the toasts and eggs and the gangster turned into an angel in a second. “Thanks, Sehun,” Suho looked up and smiled to Sehun.

 

Sehun nodded and sat down too.

 

Jongin stared at Chanyeol’s and Bomi’s back, who was sitting in the porch together, chattering and laughing and nudging each other and even sharing the ice cream. 

 

“I don’t get Baek’s hype,” Jongin stole a piece of toast from Suho’s plate and was about to eat it when he noticed Suho’s death glare at him. “… I mean…,” Jongin put back Suho’s toast, slowly and gingerly as if he’s feeding an angry lion and he averted his gaze back to the porch, “Chanyeol seems doing okay with Bomi even without any help.”

 

Suho took a rather big bite into his toast before answering, “Because that’s guy an idiot,” he hissed, half-chewing his breakfast, “with a miraculous talent to be friend-zoned.”

 

Jongin winced a little, not accustomed with the sarcastic comment made by Gangster Suho.

 

Sehun leaned on to get a better view of Chanyeol and Bomi. “I don’t understand,” he finally said, turning back to Suho.

 

“The boy’s nice… but lack of charm. Girls get comfortable with him instead,” Suho pointed out, taking a sip of his tea after gulping down the toast. “When Chanyeol likes a girl, he already fallen into the list of ‘Nice Guy Friend to Hangs Out With But I Really Don’t Think He’s More Than That’,” Suho scoffed.

 

Jongin winced more.

 

“It’s best to make him realize he likes her and push him to do something about it, instead letting him be the usual nice guy.  So what if he stutters and at flirting, at least the girl knows that he’s into something more than friends,” Suho put down his now finished cup of tea. “Hey, the tea is really good,” Suho flashed his usual smile to Sehun, and the younger grinned coyly.

 

“But, Hyung, how do you know that Chanyeol really likes her?” Jongin pushed his mind about Suho being bias to Sehun aside and decided to get back to Chanyeol and Bomi.

 

Suho snickered to Jongin. “Just look at that idiot.”

 

Jongin stared and Sehun followed.

 

Bomi must be telling Chanyeol something, because the boy had his head turned to Bomi, listening to her with a grin on his face. He laughed, clapping his hands and twitching his eyes as usual. The story continued, and at some point they could see the smile faded from Chanyeol’s lips, while something else took over his eyes.

 

That moment was a split second when all Chanyeol did was staring at Bomi, doing what would be easily described as admiring. The way he tilted his head a little, eyes focused at Bomi, soft and tender and wonder and all into one; like his world stop there and now – leaving only Bomi behind.

 

Jongin blinked and Chanyeol back to laughing.

 

Then Jongin had to admit he rarely saw Chanyeol looked like that.

 

“Quite sure we can call that love,” Suho said. After a pause that seemed like Jongin and Sehun agreeing with their silence, Suho added, “Or, actually, it can be simply lust. He’d seen her after all.”

 

Jongin choked hearing Suho’s words and glanced at his leader, before kicking Sehun under the table. Thankfully the maknae caught his signal.

 

“Hyung, you’ve done eating? I think you should sleep more, I heard it’ll reduce the headache,” Sehun stood up from his seat and took Suho’s arm, helping him to stand up.

 

“You’re right,” Suho nodded, letting his cousin leading him back to the bedroom.

 


 

“How,” Baekhyun asked with raspy voice and a frown, messaging his temple, looking like he gave his all just to make out some words, “did they get that close?”

 

Still in the dining room – just different cast.

 

Baekhyun had manage to bring himself to the dining table before collapsing in one of the seat, and Chanyeol bounced to his best friend – finding enjoyment in torturing the hang-over Baekhyun with purposely talking too loud or clinked the spoon to the plate repeatedly.   

 

The object of Baekhyun’s question was Bomi and Sehun, playing some board game in the porch. They laughed a lot, being too excited and too noisy for a mere board game. It seemed like Bomi was losing, she pouted and Sehun let out an overly happy laugh. Sehun flicked his fingers to Bomi’s forehead - the girl widened her eyes in pain while the boy grinned cheekily. But then, seeing how Bomi whined like a little kid, Sehun apologized and seriously concerned, he rubbed Bomi’s forehead with his thumb. The scene ended with Bomi patting Sehun’s head and grinned to show him that she’s okay.

 

“No idea,” Chanyeol answered from Baekhyun’s side. “Doesn’t matter, thought? They look cute together.” He smiled, resting his chin on the hand that propped on the table.   

 

Baekhyun groaned. “I didn’t waste myself last night to make them look cute together!”

 

“Baek!” Chanyeol yelled at Baekhyun’s ear, and the later punched him hard in the arm as the response. Chanyeol laughed, rubbing his aching arm but satisfied with the result; Baekhyun shut his eyes tightly in pain. “Who told you to drink that much anyway?”

 

Baekhyun opened his eyes in a snap and glared at Chanyeol. “YAAAH!”

 


 

“Noona. Chanyeol Hyung is looking at you,” Sehun simply stated from between their game.

 

“He is looking at us,” Bomi corrected him, not even turning her head because she could see Chanyeol and Baekhyun in the dining room from the corner of her eyes.

 

“Burning by jealousy.”

 

“He is not.”

 

“Sending death glare.”

 

“He is nooooooootttt.”

 

“Silently whispering, ‘Do you want to die, Oh Sehun’.”

 

Bomi cracked into a laugh, yelling “Stop it!” and hitting Sehun’s arm at the same time. Sehun only grinned, making his eyes disappeared into a crescent moon shape. Bomi stared at the younger and shook her head, unable to comprehend his mischievousness. 

 

“But seriously, Noona, he is looking at you.”

 

This time Bomi looked up at Sehun. He stared back, no longer grinning.

 

“… Sehun-ah,” Bomi called him, hesitation looked clear in her eyes. “… I’m sorry… If I make you uncomfortable last night, with everything I did… or said…,” Bomi frowned, thinking at her own actions last night, “… umm…, the skinship, and the…-” She didn’t finish her sentence.

 

Sehun shook his head. “I’m very comfortable with everything. And I like you, Noona,” Sehun extended his hands across the board game between them and pinched Bomi’s cheeks with his two hands.

 

“Aaaaawwww! Hheehhunnah!” Bomi hit Sehun’s arms furiously, trying to shake him away.

 

“Red card, Oh Sehun, intense death glare,” Sehun took his arms back, stealing a glance to the dining room.

 

“I’m the one sending you death glare!” Bomi yelled, rubbing her cheeks that now flushed with red.

 

“Bomi Noona.”

 

“What?” Bomi didn’t pay much attention to Sehun, still minding her cheeks.

 

“Last night, it’s Chanyeol Hyung. It’s not me.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Who carried you to the bedroom. It’s him. He waited for you to sleep before he slept.”

 

Bomi stopped rubbing her cheeks – in fact, she stopped moving at all. She was stunned in her place, only able to stare at Sehun. Sehun ignored her, his eyes down to the board on the floor.

 

“And Kyungsoo Hyung,” Bomi flinched when Sehun mentioned Kyungsoo’s name, “… Before we started drinking, Kyungsoo Hyung asked me to take care of you, Noona, because I’m the only one who didn’t drink.”

 

This time Sehun looked up and found Bomi’s eyes – filled with mix of emotions; upset, anxiety, guilt, sorrow, worries. Maybe Bomi didn’t expect for Sehun to know about her and Kyungsoo – or maybe she did last night and completely forget about it.

 

“And Sehun,” Sehun pointed his index finger to poke Bomi’s cheek, “Sehun doesn’t care about them.” He added with a smile, “Don’t mind the past, Noona. Choose happiness.”

 


 

Baekhyun finally finished his late breakfast slash brunch slash lunch, no thanks to Chanyeol – who couldn’t decide between stealing food from Baekhyun’s plate or to feeding-more-like-forcing the food to Baekhyun.

 

“You really sure it’s okay to let them like that?” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at Bomi and Sehun in the porch.

 

“Yeah, why?” Chanyeol his fingers clean – he used them to steal Baekhyun’s food.

 

“Cause I’ll kill both of you and Sehun if Bomi ended dating Sehun,” Baekhyun hissed. 

 

Chanyeol chuckled. “No, they won’t.”

 

Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol but didn’t voice out his opinion of how the hell you can be so sure and I’ll be there to say ‘I told you so’ when that damn time comes.

 

“Then,” Baekhyun looked away to the living room, “how about those two?”

 

Chanyeol also turned his attention to the living room. Jongin and Seyeon were sitting in the couch side by side, talking intensely without any break. “Well… Seyeon-ssi woke up and Bomi accompanied her and Jongin was there too and Bomi and Jongin talked and Seyeon-ssi joined and… Why is this matter?” Chanyeol tilted his head towards Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “Not really. Just, you know, Jongin doesn’t talk much to strangers.”

 

“Hm?” Chanyeol tap his finger to his chin. “Maybe… But he goes along with Bomi, thought?”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes because Chanyeol’s tone somehow resembled bragging. “Okay, lover boy, whatever you said. I’m going back to sleep.”

 


 

It’s true, Jongin didn’t talk much with strangers – partly because of his cold-look appearance that make people reluctant to make conversation with him, and partly because he didn’t have a lot of interest in anything, except: music, sports in general, baseball in specific, and Do Kyungsoo.

 

Seyeon happened to nail the last three; especially on the ‘Do Kyungsoo’ topic, which, in fact, the topic that kept their conversation going.

 

“... so at that time Kyungsoo baked Bomi cookies, and, well, since Bomi loves cookies too much-”

 

“-or she loved Kyungsoo too much.”

 

Seyeon ignored Jongin interruption, “-she forgave him. Huh, if I was her, I’d make Kyungsoo beg on his knees and crawl to my feet…”

 

Jongin raised his right eyebrow. “Really. I hope that’s not what you thought back then.”

 

“That’s what I thought.”

 

“A junior high school kid thought something like that.”

 

 “Yes.”

 

“… okay.” Then, after thinking for a while, Jongin decided, “You’re scary.”

 

Seyeon shrugged, only a smirk showed in her face.

 

“Hey,” Jongin nudged Seyeon with his elbow. “From your stories… I get it that you like Bomi so much, but why you bully Kyungsoo? It seemed you already like to pick on him even before they broke up. Both of them are your best friends.”

 

“Hmm…,” Seyeon thought about it for a while. “Kyungsoo said I like cute things… which is true, I guess,” she admitted. “And Bomi… let’s just say, she’s my type. You know, the one that doesn’t seem cute, but, hmm… I can’t explain it… her aegyo? Sehun-ssi is another example.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“On the other hand, people that naturally looking cute without even trying…,” Seyeon narrowed her eyes. “I don’t know, makes me want to bully them and pinch their cheeks until they cry, that kind of feeling? But, as you said, Kyungsoo’s my best friend. I bully him, doesn’t mean I don’t care about him.”

 

“So… you think Kyungsoo is cute?” Jongin tried not to grin.

 

“… ppfft.” Seyeon didn’t reply, she only rolled her eyes and blew the bangs on her forehead.

 

Now Jongin really grinned. Then, he must had been thinking about it cause he said, “Huh, that’s explained your bullying to Minah-ssi too.”

 

Seyeon glanced at Jongin. “So… you think Minah is cute,” statement, not a question.

 

Jongin frozen up instantly upon hearing Seyeon, dumbfounded, and then he blurted out, “W-wha-? I don’t-!” he stopped talking abruptly, looking like he tried to find words but failed. Finally he opened his mouth again, “I-… will stop talking right now.”

 

And then Jongin stood up, muttering inaudible words under his breath, making sure he made enough distance between himself and the not-going-to-stop-laughing-in-the-next-few-minutes Seyeon.

 


 

Jongin got out from his bedroom after checking up on Kyungsoo’s and Baekhyun’s condition. He found Suho in the couch, head rested on Sehun’s lap, eyes tight closed while Sehun mindlessly his hair with eyes stared blankly to the corner, and Chanyeol laid on his stomach on the carpet, entertaining himself with Temple Run. Jongin turned his head and saw Seyeon leaned on the doorframe of the girls’ bedroom, and then the next second Bomi walked out from the room, carrying a tray with the empty plate and glass – seemed like she just finished feeding Minah.

 

Bomi walked to the kitchen with Seyeon trailed behind her and Jongin unconsciously followed the girls with his eyes. When he did realize, he noticed that Sehun and Chanyeol did the exact same thing.

 

“Hey,” Jongin lightly kicked Chanyeol’s leg.

 

The other boy stuck out his head from his phone. “What?”

 

“Let’s go to the beach. Don’t you feel sorry for them if they’re stuck here?” Jongin nodded his head towards Bomi and Seyeon in the kitchen. “We’ve come to the beach, anyway.”

 

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows. “But Baekhyun, Kyungsoo-”

 

“Will be fine,” Jongin cut him. “Come on.” And before Chanyeol could agree or disagree, Jongin called, “Bomi! Let’s go to the beach. Don’t you want to play more?”

 

Bomi turned her head to Jongin, and then to Seyeon, and then back to Jongin, and then slightly to Chanyeol, back to Jongin again, before finally she nodded. “Okay, let’s!” she made an OK sign with her fingers.

 

“See?” Jongin looked down to Chanyeol. “Now, you’re coming?”

 

Chanyeol glanced towards Baekhyun’s room, contemplating, but then he looked up to Jongin and nodded. He extended his arms up, asking Jongin to pick him up.

 

Bomi was about to enter her room when she saw Sehun. “Sehun-ah, what about you?”

 

“Ah, I’ll just stay here-”

 

“He’ll go,” Suho suddenly rose up, groggily opened his eyes. “Go,” he ruffled Sehun’s head. When Sehun wanted to protest, he pushed his shoulder, “You need to play before your exams, Sehun. I’m okay. Jongin, take him out.”

 

Sehun still looked hesitant, but then he saw Bomi giving him an encouraging smile, and that made him change his mind. “Okay, I’ll go with Hyung and Noona…”

 

In the end, Bomi, Chanyeol, Jongin, Seyeon, and Sehun went to the beach, leaving the other four behind in the lodge.

 


 

Maybe because they were too engrossed in their talk – from their pets to Bomi was a cheerleader in high school and Chanyeol able to play a lot of instruments and so on – or maybe because the others let them be, but naturally, Bomi and Chanyeol ended up walking together, and when they realized it had been too quiet, they turned around and found no one following behind them.

 

“Ah… Did we walk too fast?” Chanyeol scratched his head. He wasn’t sure if leaving the two of them was intentional or not, since Jongin was the type that didn’t care about those kinds of stuff, and obviously Seyeon, too, while Sehun wasn’t the most sensitive or attentive. He stretched his neck, trying to find his friends.

 

“Do you see them?” Bomi asked from his side. She tiptoed and looked around, also trying to spot familiar faces.

 

Chanyeol noticed this and snorted, turned away while holding his laugh. Bomi looked at him, confused, but then she followed Chanyeol’s gaze and she realized; it was because of her height – even when she tiptoed, she was nowhere near Chanyeol’s height.

 

 “Yaah! Giant! I’m not short!” Bomi hit Chanyeol’s arm.

 

“I didn’t say you’re short!” Chanyeol replied back, still trying to contain his laughter. “Just… small.”

 

“I told you, I’m normal!” Bomi puffed her cheeks, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

 

“Ah, cute,” before he could think about it clearly, Chanyeol’s hand already reached out to pinch Bomi’s cheek. The moment his fingers touch Bomi’s skin, he could feel Bomi stiffened, and Chanyeol pulled his hand almost immediately. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

 

Chanyeol rubbed his nose, not sure of what to do. He cursed himself inside for acting without thinking, but then again, he wondered why Bomi suddenly startled with his touch; he ruffled her hair and she hit him a lot before, and she seemed rather fine with those touches.   

 

Bomi could feel her cheek stings in the place that Chanyeol just touched; Sehun did the exact same thing before, but somehow it felt very different. Maybe because she remembered what Sehun tell her earlier that day about Chanyeol taking care of her last night. That one information made her mind have a lot to think.

 

Chanyeol glanced at Bomi. Even when he’s not around, Chanyeol felt that he can hear Baekhyun’s voice in his ear, telling him to make move on Bomi, urging him to ask her out on a date, convincing him that he likes her. He wasn’t sure about it, but he intended to find it out.

 

“Is it okay if we don’t look for them?” Chanyeol asked Bomi cautiously. There’s a part of him that didn’t mind if there’s only the two of them, beside it would be a little hard to find the others – none of them carried their phone.

 

Seyeon is together with Jongin and Sehun-ah… “Yeah, I think we should just play…,” Bomi nodded her head, “maybe we’ll meet them later.”

 

“Great!” Chanyeol almost looked too relieved. “Hey, let’s go there, seemed like there’s a lot of people?” he pointed forward, where people gathered in one place. Bomi agreed, and again, without even thinking, Chanyeol took Bomi’s arm to guide her over.

 

When he realized what he did, Chanyeol’s hand lingered, he waited for Bomi’s reaction. But the girl said nothing; she didn’t shove him away and not even stiffened. So Chanyeol didn’t let go.

 

Since Chanyeol was taller that most of the people there, he only needed to crane his neck a little bit to see what the object of the commotion was. His eyes widened in excitement, and he looked at Bomi with elated expression.

 

“What what what? What is it?” Bomi desperately jumped in her place.

 

Caught up in the moment, wanted to show Bomi what he see, Chanyeol took Bomi’s waist and lifted her up.

 

And Bomi would be blushed and all flustered, if her eyes didn’t see what’s in front of them; pinwheels with various colors and size, planted in the sand, spinning and whirling as the wind blow them.

 

It’s just like that one time.

 

Bomi turned to Chanyeol, glee in her eyes.

 

She shouted ‘Pinwheels!!!’ by herself.

 

“Pinwheels!!!” Bomi heard her voice and Chanyeol’s deep voice shouted together; Chanyeol was grinning from ear-to-ear, as excited as Bomi or perhaps more.

 

‘You’re really a kid…,’ he sighed.

 

‘Who’s not happy to see this?’ she stubbornly asked.

 

‘I’m happy… Just not as much as you do.’

 

Chanyeol put Bomi down but Bomi still stared at him, memories kicking on her head. Chanyeol took her hand again, making way for both of them through the people to get a better view of the pinwheels. Seemed like there’s some kind of special event or something, because there were so many pinwheels in that particular area.

 

Chanyeol looked down, and he beamed to Bomi, showing her his perfect white teeth. Before Bomi could register what just happened, Chanyeol tugged her hand, “They sell the pinwheels over there! Let’s buy it?” that’s not even a question, because Chanyeol already dragged her to the store.

 

‘I’ll buy it for you.’

 

“Which one do you want, Bomi?” Chanyeol was busy picking on the pinwheels. “Ah, this one is pretty!” he handed her one pinwheel with pink and purple color.

 

“What do you think?” Chanyeol had two pinwheels in his hand and he asked for Bomi’s opinion; one was in gradation of blue, while the other was the usual rainbow color. 

 

“You also buy for yourself?” Bomi asked, dazed.

 

“Well, of course!” Chanyeol grinned.

 

“… ah, this one,” Bomi pick the blue one.

 

“Okay, I’ll buy this one. What about you, Bomi?”

 

‘Oppa, what about you?’

 

Bomi looked down to the pinwheel in her hand, the one Chanyeol picked for her before. “… I’ll take this. It’s really pretty.”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. ‘I don’t want it.’  

 

Bomi looked up to Chanyeol, and she smiled. “Thank you.” 

 


 

Jongin’s fingers raked through his wet hair, pushing them back. He was drenched from head to toe; result from Seyeon’s payback. He lifted and dumped Seyeon in the sea so Seyeon took her revenge by jumping on his back and tackling him down. Now, on his side, Seyeon was building a sandcastle with Sehun’s help, and Jongin just watch with less interest.

 

“No, Noona, don’t do that!” Sehun seemed annoyed, he held Seyeon’s wrist to stop her from adding more sand to one side of their castle – which would make their castle crumble.  

 

“Oh?” Seyeon looked up to Sehun. “This is the first time you call me!” she smiled, genuinely happy. “I thought you hate me, you never talk to me or anything.”

 

Sehun startled at her directness. “I didn’t?” Then, with guilty and regret written all over his face, Sehun murmured, “I’m sorry… I don’t hate Noona…”

 

“Hey, don’t bully our maknae,” Jongin clung on Sehun from his back, protesting Seyeon. “It’s not his fault if he’s scared of you, you’re intimidating, Seyeon.”

 

Seyeon narrowed her eyes at Jongin.

 

“What time is it?” suddenly Sehun asked.

 

“Almost time for dinner… Why?” Jongin replied, still clinging on Sehun’s back despite the younger’s struggle to shake him off.

 

“Are you worried about Joonmyeon-…,” Seyeon took notice of Jongin’s stare at her, so she added, “-ssi?”

 

Sehun nodded. “I will go back first, is it okay?” he stood up, making Jongin fell back to the sand.

 

“You can’t stay here with us a little longer?” Seyeon almost pouted if only Jongin wasn’t there to mock her about it. “I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

 

Sehun only smiled at her. “I’ll order dinner for you guys too. Don’t stay out too late, Hyung!” he reminded Jongin, who waved his hand, before walking away from the two.

 

He already walked a good distance before he turned his head to take a worried glance at Seyeon and Jongin together. Jongin already took his place, joining Seyeon in building the sandcastle. Slowly, Sehun moved his feet again, back to the lodge.

 

“What’s with them? I swear, they’re closer than real siblings,” Seyeon questioned Jongin as soon as Sehun left. “I get it that they’re cousins, but… I don’t know.”

 

“You’ll get used to it,” Jongin took a handful of sand and placed it on the side, adding a wing to the sandcastle.

 

“What is that supposed to mean…,” Seyeon mumbled.

 

“Sehun was bullied before.”

 

“W-what?”

 

“Suho Hyung gets protective of him, and I guess Sehun wants to repay him. What you saw is the result.”

 

“Oh… Why Sehun-ssi was bullied?”

 

Jongin shrugged. “Suho Hyung doesn’t tell us, and he doesn’t like to talk about it, especially not when Sehun’s around. In the end we don’t talk about it.”

 

“… that’s… sad.”

 

“… yeah.”

 

They fell silence after that, mindlessly working on the sandcastle. It was Seyeon who spoke first, “JONGIN! You’re screwing Sehun-ssi’s work!” or yelled, actually.

 

“Really?” Jongin raised his eyebrows, taking a good look at their sandcastle. “Hmmh, Sehun didn’t do much either.” He back off after Seyeon sending him a glare. He sat down, cleaned off his hands, and stared at Seyeon who tried to save what remained from the castle. “So… ‘Joonmyeon-ssi’, huh?”

 

Seyeon turned her head to the grinning Jongin. “Don’t.”

 

“Well, it’s quite obvious, actually, the way Suho Hyung acts towards you… But I thought you don’t like him.”

 

“I don’t.” Seyeon offered her back to Jongin while she was busy mending the sandcastle.

 

“Are you sure… because, I don’t know... calling him with his real name… and I’m sure you were about to call him without honorific… Those sound pretty intimate to me.”

 

Seyeon knew that Jongin was grinning without even look at him. She didn’t answer immediately. “… Joonmyeon sounds better than Suho.”

 

At first Jongin didn’t say anything, but then he called her again, “… Seyeon.”

 

“What?” Seyeon snapped. She turned back, annoyed and expecting to see Jongin’s grin, but the boy actually looked at her with a concerned look. “What?” she repeated her question with a different tone.

 

“Listen, Suho Hyung is a good man and there’s no one that can prove otherwise. It’s just… when it comes to girls, he…,” Jongin stopped, didn’t know how to put what he needed to say into words.

 

Seyeon was quiet for a while, staring at Jongin. Then she slumped down beside him. “I know.”

 

“You… know?”

 

“Well, it’s hard to miss with the amount of times he spends on his phone,” Seyeon scoffed, irritated. “No one does that, except people with girlfriend.”

 

Jongin hesitated, but then he said, carefully, “They’re not his girlfriends.”

 

He could hear Seyeon’s breath hitched for a second.

 

“… oh,” pause, then, “They,” gritted teeth, “… Great,” she snarled, throwing a handful of sands away. “Just. Great.”

 

Jongin cringed. “Sorry.”

 

“I said, I don’t like him,” Seyeon said sharply, throwing more sands with more power.

 

“Yeah…,” Jongin’s eyes followed as the sands Seyeon threw hit their sandcastle, “… I know.”

 


 

Sometimes…, sometimes Bomi could pretend that her relationship with Chanyeol was normal; that they met in a party and became friends. It’s easy, cause Chanyeol’s the easy-going type, he kept the conversation going most of the time, he had countless stock of jokes and stories, and he’s just comfortable to be with.

 

But sometimes…, sometimes she was more than aware that it’s not like that; it’s not like that at all.

 

He touched her for the first time, and she knew she could never forget that.

 

Because remembering that night still made her blushed; the way he softly kissed her shoulder, the way he whispered to her ear, the way he hold her gently… Oh, Bomi could continue with the list.

 

And it’s get confusing, because when they were together, when they walked side by side, talking about nothing and everything at the same, discovering things they both love and they both hate, when Chanyeol made her laugh, when Chanyeol laughed at every jokes she said no matter how bad it was… It felt nice, and she felt happy, and she didn’t know was it because he’s the first or because he’s the guy.

 

But they agreed to be friends.

 

Besides, Do Kyungsoo.

 

So she tried to focus on being-friends part.

 

And most of the times it worked.  

 

Kyungsoo did say that Baekhyun tried to pair them together, but she thought it’s normal – Baekhyun just seemed like the kind of friend that does things like that. And Kyungsoo could do whatever he wants, letting her go and all, but it’s not like she’s going to be with Chanyeol just because Kyungsoo’s approval of Chanyeol.   

 

Most of the times, Bomi thought Chanyeol think the same about being-friends part.

 

But what Sehun said about Chanyeol waited for her to sleep last night…

 

Now Bomi started to remember that she’s not the only one on the being-friends part, that there’s Chanyeol on the other side.

 

She wondered what Chanyeol thought of her.

 

“… -mi, Bomi.”

 

Bomi went back to earth. “Huh?” she turned her head, confused. “I’m sorry, what?”

 

“Are you okay?” Chanyeol looked at her, worried. “I called you several times.” It’s already time for dinner, and despite the snacks they bought before, they’re already tired and drenched from playing, so they decided to walk back to the lodge.

 

“Ah, yes. Just… a little bit tired,” Bomi gave him a small smile.

 

“We’re almost there, do you need me to… carry you?” Chanyeol scratched his neck, a little bit nervous by his own question.

 

“I’m not that weak, relax.”

 

“Oh yeah, I forget about your gorilla power.”

 

Bomi elbowed him in the stomach, Chanyeol faked the pain.

 

“Chanyeol.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“… last night… Sehun said you’re the one carrying me to the bed. Thank you.”

 

He smiled. “Why did Sehun even tell you that,” he chuckled. “… you know,” Chanyeol started another conversation, his voice was softer and calmer, “Sehun and Jongin, they’re the hardest to approach out of our members. But this morning, seeing you with Jongin, with Sehun... It seems they like you, and I, well, I’m happy. Especially when you’re with Sehun, he’s a nice kid, but he doesn’t have a lot of friends…,” Chanyeol turned to Bomi and grinned, “So I should be the one that say thank you.”

 

Bomi shook her head. “Jongin’s really kind to me, and Sehun, like I said, is a sweet kid. So it’s not me, it’s them.”

 

“You don’t get it, do you?” Chanyeol tilted his head, amused. “Bomi, it’s because it is you. You’re really nice to people. You’re the one who makes Jongin kind to you, you make Sehun into a sweet kid when really, he’s a brat. It’s true!” he shouted when Bomi gave her a skeptical look. “Really, it’s because of you.”

 

Chanyeol didn’t even realize that they stopped walking.

 

But he did realize how the sun rays made Bomi’s wet skin glow, how Bomi’s height would make her fall directly into his chest, how her small hands would probably fit perfectly between his own hands, how her lips was the color of pale pink and slightly apart, how her hair was wet and messy and the water was dripping from the tips, how her neck was so small and beautiful and how badly Chanyeol wanted to touch it…

 

Oh. His mind found the answer as he looked at her. OH.

 

His voice came out even deeper. “I’m glad…,” he swallowed, hand reached out to Bomi’s neck, slowly pulling her closer, “… that it was you…”

 

Chanyeol bent down, tilting his head to the side, closing the distance between him and Bomi as he leaned closer.

 

And in the last moment before he closed his eyes, he saw Bomi was also closing her eyes – just like their first kiss…

 

“CHANYEOL!”

 

… or maybe not.

  

Upon the call, the moment was broke, both of them was startled and Chanyeol immediately pulled his hand and raised them up in the air, showing them to Bomi, while Bomi also back away, stealing a glance at Chanyeol before looking away.

 

“Chanyeol! Bomi!” it was Jongin, shouting from the lodge’s porch. Turned out they’re already near the lodge. “What are you doing? Dinner’s ready!”

 

“Y-yeah!” Chanyeol shouted back. He glanced at Bomi. “Err… S-should we…?” he awkwardly nodded forward.

 

Bomi was equally stuttered, “A-ah, yes… We should…”

 

Inside the lodge, Jongin walked back to the kitchen nonchalantly under Seyeon’s stare from the stool. Jongin, Seyeon, and Kyungsoo who were in the kitchen could see what happened with Bomi and Chanyeol earlier.

 

“What?” Jongin asked when Seyeon keep staring at him.

 

Seyeon looked like she wanted to say something but she changed her mind, munching on the chips Kyungsoo gave her. “Nope. Nothing. Do whatever you want,” she slipped away from the stool to greet Bomi.

 

Jongin seemed satisfied with Seyeon’s cooperation. He turned to Kyungsoo and offered him a fist-bump, but Kyungsoo shook his head, giving Jongin disapproved look.  

 

“Oh, come on, no one see it!”  

 

Kyungsoo looked around, and though weakly, finally he bumped his fist to the grinning Jongin.

 

Really, Jongin didn’t have any grudge or whatsoever to Chanyeol, and it’s true that Jongin always thought Chanyeol was a kid trapped in a giant body and sometimes Jongin couldn’t keep up with his enthusiasm with everything, but Jongin knew he’s not a bad guy, and actually Jongin didn’t care if Chanyeol and Bomi ended together, it’s just-

 

Jongin glanced at Kyungsoo – a small smile lingered on his lips as Kyungsoo giving the last touch to their dinner.  

 

-it’s just, not today, Park Chanyeol. Not today.

 


 

It was supposed to be a short and combined chapter with 'Oh Sehun's Night', idk how it ended up with 7000 words??? Wow I'm really bad at managing the chapter's length. And honestly I never drink more over experience hang over so idk, hope it was realistic enough?

Thank youuuuuu for the upvote!!! _noonim, yeollika, nicky_ (again^_^), and daffie.

As always, thank you for reading and for subscribing and for the comments, please please if you silently reading this, drop a comment? And if you think I'm , need improvement, feedback are very much welcomed! I love youuuuuuu.