Broken Hearts

Closer, Closer

How nice would it be if love was something that could be earned?
How nice would it be if love was something to get by wanting it?

Girl Who Can’t Break Up, Boy Who Can’t Move On - LeeSSang

 


 

“Seriously, Seyeon, stop using me as your rebound,” Jongin clucked, his foot tapping the concrete under impatiently.

 

“Seriouslyyy, Jongiiin, don’t flatter yourself,” Seyeon glared at the boy.

 

Jongin scoffed. “Well, yeah, then, I’m just a drinking buddy that you call every time Suho Hyung lets you down?”

 

Seyeon pouted cutely, one that she wouldn’t do if she’s in her usual self. Then again, after glasses of soju, and it’s Jongin that in front of her, Seyeon could do a lot of things she normally wouldn’t do. “Don’t say his nameee,” she whined.

 

Jongin sighed. They were in one of the street vendor, one summer evening where the clock said it’s time to go home but the sky said let’s stay outside longer. In the table between them there are two bottles of Soju – the previous bottles had been taken away by the owner – and several dishes. Jongin held Seyeon’s wrist when the girl’s hand extended to drink another glass. “Come on, Seyeon, it’s enough.”

 

Seyeon let out whiny sounds, and Jongin gave up. It’s hard to deal with tipsy Seyeon, he learnt. After all, it’s not the first time they went out to drink.

 

They grew closer, the two, after the vacation. Jongin and Seyeon didn’t have a lot of friends to begin with, they’re the type that just didn’t bother, and after the vacation they found out they’re quite a match – and that’s how they’re friends know, meeting outside the usual gathering of EXO and the girls.

 

“… stupid Suho… stupid name… stupid Joonmyeon…,” Seyeon muttered after taking a gulp. She glanced at Jongin and then giggled. “Stupid Jongin.”

 

Jongin checked his watch. “Seyeon, my sister needs me. Let’s go back now, alright?”

 

“Whyyy?” Seyeon’s shoulders went down. “But I don’t want to go home…” She put down her cheek to the table and rubbed it with her hand. “I really, really like this table,” she mumbled. “Can I take this table home?”

 

If only Jongin wasn’t in a hurry, he would gladly took a video of this drunk and ridiculous Seyeon just to get even with her – she kept a video of a drunk, crying Jongin – but then again, he already had one video of a drunk, singing Seyeon – Jongin stopped taping because he was busy stopping Seyeon from stripping.

 

“Jongiiin,” Seyeon called.

 

Jongin exhaled before answering, “What is it?”

 

“… What do you think he does right now?” Seyeon asked, and Jongin didn’t have to ask to know who’s Seyeon talking about. Seyeon told him about it before she went on drinking one glass after another.

 

The new semester had started, and Seyeon met Suho in campus. She never paid attention to him before – she didn’t even know him – but now when she did, she realized that there’s this girl that always seen with Suho. Her friends – oblivious about Seyeon’s relationship with Suho – gladly filled her in with information regarding Suho. One would be that the girl was ‘the leading candidate to be Kim Joonmyeon’s girlfriend’. But nothing was confirmed, and she was only one from a lot of candidates. But people would never call him as player. They simply called him as nice, too nice to refuse the girls.  

 

And the thing was, Seyeon saw Suho again just before, opening his car’s door for the girl before they took off. That’s explained why suddenly she called Jongin out for a drink.  

 

“Don’t do this, okay? Why do you like him if you know he’s like that?”

 

Seyeon jolted awake. “I don’t like him!” she slammed the glass in her hand, earning looks from their surrounding.

 

Jongin bowed to them, before turned back to Seyeon. “Stop it, you clearly drunk,” he held Seyeon’s hand, but the girl brushed him away. Jongin grew impatient. He really didn’t have time for this. “Seyeon! Stop it!”

 

“Nooottt waaaanttt…,” Seyeon even stuck out her tongue.

 

Jongin massaged his temple. Should he call Bomi? No, Bomi would probably nag him for letting Seyeon drunk… and tomorrow Seyeon would definitely scold him for troubling Bomi. How about Kyungsoo? That’s even worse, Seyeon would scold him while choke him. Suho Hyung? Might as well he starts preparing his own funeral, presumably twice; his causes of death would be by Kim Joonmyeon and by Jin Seyeon.

 

At that time, a familiar, blonde haired figure walked pass the vendor and Jongin stood immediately, recognizing the boy in the uniform. “Sehun-ah!” he even walked to the street to call again, “Sehun-ah!”

 

Luckily, the blonde heard him. He turned his head, and his eyes caught Jongin. “Hyung? What are you doing here?” Sehun walked back to Jongin.

 

“I’m eating with Seyeon, what are you doing?”

 

“I had cram school… Seyeon Noona?” Sehun stretched his neck to take a better look inside the vendor.

 

“Sehun-ah, here, take this,” Jongin quickly took out his wallet and grabbed some money from it, pushing it to Sehun’s chest – who took it all with confusion. “That’s for the food, and also for the taxi. If it’s not enough, just get money from Seyeon’s wallet. Get her home safely, okay? I really really really need to go home now. You get it? Thanks, I owe you. Bye!”

 

“Huh? What? Hyung!” Sehun tried to get better explanation, but Jongin already ran away, trying to catch the bus that pass the street. “What…?” he turned his head to the street vendor, and his eyes met Seyeon’s. The girl must be drunk, because she smiled so brightly when she saw Sehun, her cheeks red and she waved too excitedly at the boy.

 

Now Sehun got it, and he sighed before walking in to the tent.

 

“Sehunnieeee,” Seyeon cheered at him. “Do you want to drink too? Aaah, you’re not allowed to drink, right? No drink for youuu~” Seyeon grabbed the bottle away from Sehun. And before Sehun could stop him, Seyeon drank all the soju left in the bottle.

 

“What?” Sehun asked, frowning when Seyeon leaned on and stared at him, too close and too intense for his comfort.

 

“Youuu. Are really prettyyy, you know? Hic,” Seyeon started to hiccup after her statement. She pulled herself back. “It’s not- Hic- Fair. Maybe if I- Hic- As pretty as you- Hic- Joonmyeon would notice me…”

 

Sehun was taken aback with the sudden words. He stared as Seyeon looked down to her glass, looking sad and dejected. For a moment he was worry that she would start to cry, but the next second Seyeon lifted up her face, she was grinning. “But I’m pretty too… right?”

 

Sehun closed his eyes. Why he had to deal with all of this? He made a list of things he’d ask from Jongin after this. “Yes, Noona… You’re beautiful,” he said later, not too loud, though.

 

Seyeon grinned even wider. “Right? Right? Riiiigghhttt… Hic. Joonmyeon will regret it- Hic- if he chooses that girl.”

 

Sehun frowned when his cousin’s name was mentioned again. “Noona, are you drinking like this because of Hyung?”

 

“Oh?” Seyeon looked really surprised. “How do you know? Aaaah~ As expected, you are really, really, smart, Sehun-ah!” she patted Sehun’s head. The boy just frowned deeper. Seyeon tried to focus her eyes to the empty bottles on the table. “Hm? There’s no more to drink. Eeey, this can’t do… Ahjum-!” she raised her hand, was about to call the vendor’s owner for more soju, but Sehun was stopped her before she could do that.

 

“Noona, let’s go home.”

 

“Unnng…. I don’t want to!” Seyeon shook her head stubbornly.

 

“Come on, Noona. Please?”

 

“Noooooooo,” Seyeon whined, stomping her feet.

 

“… Seyeon,” Sehun’s tone changed, firmer now. “Let’s go home.”

 

Seyeon stared at him.

 

Sehun prayed inside that Seyeon wouldn’t remember a thing tomorrow, or at least she’s too embarrassed to call out Sehun about it.

 

Slowly, Seyeon nodded her head. “Um. Let’s go… home.”

 

Finally Sehun could let out a sigh of relief. He paid with the money from Jongin, and when he helped Seyeon to stand up and walk out of the tent, he realized that he had no idea where Seyeon lived.

 

“Noona, where do you live?”

 

“Meee?” Seyeon had her arm around Sehun’s neck for support, and Sehun pulled his head back when the smell of soju hit him. “I live in… your heart. Heheheee.”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes. He searched for Seyeon’s purse in her bag while Seyeon sang 2NE1’s ‘I’m The Best’ loudly beside him. Thankfully, Seyeon did write her address inside her purse, so Sehun called for a taxi to get her home.

 

Seyeon was half-asleep during the ride, resting her head on Sehun’s shoulder, while Sehun typed a massage to Jongin.

 

 

To: Jongin Hyung

There’s this nice shirt that I want.

 

 

The reply was rather fast.

 

 

From: Jongin Hyung

A shirt?! Isn’t that too much?!

 

To: Jongin Hyung

Is it? Okay, I can ask Suho Hyung instead.

 

 

Sehun almost smirked when he read Jongin’s reply.

 

 

From: Jongin Hyung

Fine, shirt it is.

 

 

He knew that Suho wouldn’t like it if he knew Jongin took Seyeon out and left her in a drunk state – no matter who’s the girl, actually, but moreover because it’s Seyeon. Didn’t matter that the reason Seyeon drunk was Suho in the first place, the bottom line was Jongin shouldn’t do that.

 

Seyeon moved and Sehun frowned, glancing to the side to see what’s up with her. Seyeon’s eyes fluttered open, and suddenly she took off her jacket, “It’s… really hot in here… Isn’t it?” she mumbled drowsily.

 

Sehun groaned, now he remembered about that night on their vacation where Seyeon tried to strip and Suho stopped her multiple times.

 

“No, no, don’t do this,” Sehun mumbled as he quickly grabbing Seyeon’s hand to stop her. “It’s not hot! It’s totally cold! Ahjussi, please turn on the air conditioner to the max!” Sehun said to the taxi driver.

 

“Really?” Seyeon narrowed her eyes, staring at Sehun. “But… it’s… itchy… Let me…,” she struggled to open her jacket. “… it’s hot, Sehun-ah…,” she pulled up her skirt, showing up her thighs.

 

The taxi driver glanced from the rearview mirror and Sehun glared at him.

 

Sehun turned his attention back to Seyeon and took off his own blazer to cover Seyeon’s lap – since every time Sehun pulled down the skirt Seyeon would pull it up – while his hand tried to hold Seyeon’s hands from ing her shirt. She struggled for a while before went back to sleep, and Sehun immediately took out his phone and typed furiously.

 

 

To: Jongin Hyung

A shirt and a trouser! She strips in the taxi!!!

 

From: Jongin Hyung

A shirt and a trouser, right. I’m sorry, Sehun-ah.

 

 

When they – “Finally,” Sehun hissed – arrived at Seyeon’s house, no one opened the door even after Sehun pushed the bell and knocked, and Sehun found himself once again need to rummage through Seyeon’s bag before pushing the key to the lock hole.

 

Sehun helped Seyeon went in and he was about to ask her where her room was when Seyeon frowned, stopping in her place, “… I want to… throw up,” she said, gagging.

 

And that’s how Sehun ended up kneeling behind Seyeon, holding her hair back while the girl throw up to the closet in the bathroom. He sighed, contemplating whether the new shirt and trouser would worth it, should he ask for a jacket too, while Seyeon’s back. He cleaned up after her before took Seyeon to her room.

 

Seyeon lay down on her bed and Sehun disappeared for a moment to bring her a glass of water. The boy made sure Seyeon finished it all before he gathered his stuff, preparing to leave.

 

“Sehun?” Seyeon called, it looked like she’s a little bit sober now after throwing up and the water helped too.

 

Sehun stopped in his track. “Hm?”

 

“Thank you,” Seyeon said quietly, covering her eyes with her arm.

 

Sehun hesitated, but then he went back in to the room and sat on the edge of the bed, head turned to Seyeon. “What happened?” he asked.

 

“… nothing.”

 

“If there’s nothing happened…,” Sehun sighed. He stared at Seyeon for a couple seconds, and when Seyeon didn’t say anything, Sehun started to talk, “Don’t go out with another man and get drunk like this, Hyung won’t like it.”

 

Seyeon uncovered her face and she glared at Sehun. “Oh, I can’t get out with my friend when he’s out with his- his- I don’t even know what those girls are to him!” she yelled in frustration.

 

“So that’s what happened? You get jealous over those girls?” Sehun’s eyes drawn in understanding and Seyeon found out she hated that looks in Sehun’s face, moreover the statement Sehun just said. Sehun looked at her dead in the eyes, and said, “If that’s what bothering you, I tell you. They are nothing. He never brings any girl home. In fact, he never brings any girl when he picks me up.”

 

Seyeon kept quiet, still in rage.

 

“… It’s easy to fall love with him, I know. But Hyung deserves more. He needs someone to try… To stay,” Sehun stood up to his feet. “If you’re only going to hurt him, just leave now.”

 

Those words sent Seyeon to snap, “I’m the one who’s hurting here!” she said, pain and hurt on her eyes.

 

“Noona, you don’t understand.”

 

“Which part that I didn’t understand? The part that he plays around with girls’ hearts? The part where he thinks it’s okay to act like that just because he needs to be loved?”

 

“Don’t talk like that about Joonmyeon Hyung. He’s better than that,” Sehun took his leave. He abruptly stopped in Seyeon’s door and took a glance back at Seyeon, looked like he had something to say, but when he saw Seyeon buried her face in the pillow Sehun just shook his head, closing the door behind him.

 

He met Bomi in the entrance.

 

“Sehun-ah?” Bomi looked surprised to find him in her house. “What are you-? You’re with Seyeon?”

 

Sehun told her about him meeting Jongin and how Jongin dump the responsibility over the drunken Seyeon on him. Bomi’s mouth was left hanging when Sehun finished his story. “Oh Kim Jongin you are so dead…,” she muttered under her breath.

 

“Does she do that a lot? Drunk because of Hyung?” Sehun finally asked.

 

Bomi looked at Sehun, as if judging whether Sehun deserved to know or not. “I know she went drinking with Jongin a couple times…,” she said carefully.

 

Sehun scoffed.    

 

Bomi smiled, almost apologetic. “Seyeon is not accustomed with rejection.”

 

They went silent, before suddenly Sehun bent down and rested his forehead on Bomi’s shoulder. “I’m the worst…,” he mumbled before Bomi could question him. “… I choose Joonmyeon Hyung over her. I— I prefer seeing her gets hurt… over Joonmyeon Hyung. I’m the worst.”

 

Bomi sighed, Sehun’s arm.

 

This was not what she had in mind when she took Seyeon with her to EXO’s performance that day.

 

“Seyeon is a big girl. She knows what she’s doing. Don’t worry, Sehun-ah.”

 


 

“Seriously, when will this lecture end…,” Minah mumbled to herself, her foot tapping the floor under impatiently. She immediately jumped on her feet when the professor announced that today’s lecture was finished. “Hurry up, Bomi!” she exclaimed, pulling Bomi who’s still gathering her books to follow her.

 

“Why are we rushing?” Bomi asked her, trying to keep up with her best friend’s pace. Half of her books were still in her arms, she didn’t have time to put them in in her shoulder bag before and she’s doing it now. 

 

Minah had the mind to turn her head to Bomi, showing Bomi her trademark eye-smile, “Cause I can’t wait to meet my Baekhyunnie!” she answered while hopping in her steps.

 

“What?” Bomi stopped for a second before catching up with Minah. “You said we’ll have lunch on that restaurant you’ve been dying to try… How come it involves Baekhyun?”

 

“Becauseeee~ We’re having lunch with Baekhyunnie and Chanyeol!”

 

“… What?” now Bomi really stopped walking. She reached out to Minah’s arm, “You didn’t tell me about it!”

 

Minah blinked her eyes. “Um… sorry?” Minah said, not sure about what made Bomi panic.

 

“But-,” Bomi couldn’t finish her sentence because she saw a certain tall figure that lately had preoccupied her mind on and off was walking closer towards them. With a swift movement she hurriedly let her messy ponytail loose and brushed her hair with her hand. She was in a hurry this morning, so she grabbed the first thing she saw in her closet – a see-through, loose knitted sweater above white tank top, skinny jeans, and her old converse shoes; no time for any dress whatsoever. She tried to find her oil-paper in her bag but then she gave up, wiping her nose with her hand instead before wiped it on her jeans; not very lady-like, Bomi knew, but it’s very urgent.

 

“Oh,” Minah just realized what made Bomi upset. “Lip-gloss,” she quickly helped Bomi fixing herself, taking out her lip-gloss from her bag and offering it to Bomi while she brushed Bomi’s hair, making sure she looked presentable for their lunch-date. “Okay, perfect!” Minah assured her when Bomi sent her questioning look.

 

They turned in time to face the smiling duo – Baekhyun was leading with his bright smile and Chanyeol followed behind him, all-teeth-shown smile on his face.

 

“Hey! Ready for lunch?” Baekhyun greeted them.

 

“Yup! All set!” Minah almost jumped to him, linking arm with Baekhyun. The two were chattering immediately, and Bomi thought Minah was already loud on daily basis – well now she’s even louder and Baekhyun wasn’t quiet either.

 

Chanyeol grinned at her, and Bomi remembered just now that Minah and Baekhyun being loud wasn’t her ultimate problem; the giant in front of her was. Chanyeol wore a white t-shirt under grey hoodie, along with a backward snapback and glasses. She tucked her hair behind her ear and smiled back at Chanyeol.

 

“Do things that make you happy.”

 

Bomi decided she really likes that glasses on Chanyeol’s face.

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat, “So, how’s school?” and that started their conversation.

 

They took a bus to the restaurant, and Bomi didn’t realize she and Chanyeol were being loud – louder than Minah and Baekhyun – until they received annoyed looks from the bus’ passengers, even Minah and Baekhyun turned their heads from the other seats to look at them, wondering what’s so funny that made Chanyeol and Bomi laughed so loud. Both of them bowed a little to the other passengers’, still trying to suppress their laughs and giggles.

 

It’s never quiet with Chanyeol.

 

Unless during some awkward moments like now, when they walked side by side and their hands on their sides bumped into each other and it startled both of them that they immediately parted, making bigger space between them; Chanyeol and his habit of rubbing his nose, now Bomi noticed, and herself, looking away.  

 

But then it happened again and again until none of them tried to move away.

 

Minah in front of them was yelling, “That’s the restaurant! Lunch lunch lunch~,” she sang while pointing to one building in the corner.

 

Suddenly a voice called out and stopped them from walking to that restaurant.

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol froze in his place because he recognized that voice.

 

Bomi turned her head and saw a beautiful girl stood behind them, her hand was linking with the man beside her. Bomi glanced at Chanyeol and wondered why Chanyeol didn’t react immediately.

 

Baekhyun was the one who reacted, “Oh. Hi, Jiyeon,” he smiled, but for some reason the smile looked a little bit fake, brighter than his usual smile but not bright enough to reach his eyes.

 

“Oh, Baekhyun, you’re here too,” Park Jiyeon tilted her head and smiled at Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol finally turned around, and he mumbled, “Hi,” before turning his snapbacks around, covering his face with it. This was not going unnoticed by Bomi.

 

“How are you? It’s been a while,” Jiyeon asked.

 

“Yeah… same old,” Baekhyun shrugged.

 

“You guys still together in EXO, right? I saw your performance once, but I didn’t have the time to approach you… Ah, how are the other guys? Sehun, Kyungsoo, Jongin… Suho Oppa?”

 

This time Baekhyun stepped up almost casually, standing between Chanyeol and Jiyeon while Chanyeol slipped himself to stand behind Bomi. And Bomi would miss those little actions if she’s not paying attention to Chanyeol.

 

“We’re good,” Baekhyun smiled back and there’s that fake smile again. “You know us.”

 

“That’s good to hear,” Jiyeon said. “Let’s catch up some other times, okay? Bye bye… Chanyeol,” she glanced at Chanyeol and gave him her sweet smile.

 

Chanyeol nodded, his hands on his pockets. “… bye.”

 

And then Jiyeon walked pass them, walking in to that restaurant of their destination.

 

“Your friend?” Minah asked Baekhyun.

 

“Hmm… High school’s friend…,” Baekhyun said, furrowing his eyebrows.

 

Minah shrugged, decided that it didn’t matter. She went back to linking her arm with Baekhyun, “Well, let’s eat!”

 

“… Hey,” Chanyeol stopped them, “I just remembered…,” Chanyeol swallowed when the three looked at him, “… there’s something that I need to do… So…”

 

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun groaned. “We can eat at other place…”

 

“No, no!” Chanyeol shook his head. “I mean… Minah wants to eat here… Anyway, this… thing is really urgent, so-,” he sighed, changed his mind and just dropped his act. “I’m really sorry. Just go without me, okay?” And without further explanation, he his heels and walked away.

 

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun still tried to make his friend back. “Aish…,” he scratched his head in frustration when Chanyeol only turned a little and shook his head.

 

“What happened?” Minah tugged Baekhyun’s shirt.

 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun looked at Bomi. “That girl before… Jiyeon… She’s… Um, Chanyeol got his heart broken by her in high school. And it seems he hasn’t got over it… Forget it, let’s just eat. Is it okay with you, Bomi-ah?”

 

“Ah? Yes, sure,” Bomi nodded.

 

They went in to the restaurant, and saw Jiyeon already sat in one of the table, her eyes found them and she smiled – she didn’t look very surprised to see them again without Chanyeol.

 

Minah picked a table near the window, and while she and Baekhyun looked over the menu, Bomi stole a glance at Jiyeon; at how her hair was longer than Bomi’s, smoother and shinier, and how she’s tall and has long legs to kill for, and how she looked effortlessly stylish even in the simplest outfit of white shirt and dark shorts, and how her eyes were like cat’s eyes, and-

 

“Bomi?” Minah’s voice cut Bomi’s thoughts. “What do you want to eat?”

 

Bomi looked down into her menu, realizing that she hadn’t paid any attention to it. She bit her lower lips, eyes tracing the menu. She frowned at the thought of nothing looked delicious right now, and on second thought, she didn’t feel really hungry despite it’s already past lunch-time.

 

They said jealousy was a sign of insecurity.

 

Bomi frowned deeper.

 

Jiyeon obviously made her felt insecure.     

 


 

Chanyeol leaned on the wall behind him, his head hang low while eyeing his surroundings. He never went to this area of his building and the stares he got just make him more nervous. He took out his phone and checked his own reflection there; was it his hair? Did he have something on his face?

 

Some girls walked pass him, stealing glances and murmuring between themselves and he kind of heard, “Never seen him before… First year?” and the reply, “Naaah, must be from other department.

 

Oh, okay, so it’s just because he seemed unfamiliar, nothing’s funny.

 

Chanyeol checked his phone for time. Baekhyun said Minah’s class would end around ten minutes more – he didn’t ask Bomi because… Well, because he needed to talk in person with her. He sighed and pulled out his headset.

 

Ten minutes passed and Chanyeol straightened his back when a group of students were storming out from the class beside him. He put his headset inside his bag and rubbed his nose nervously, waiting for a certain brunette to walk out.  

 

“Chanyeol!” Minah was the first one to spot him, her hair was made into a high ponytail. “Baekhyunnie?” she looked around and pouted when Chanyeol shook his head. “No Baekhyunnie?” she sighed. “Oh well… I’ll leave you two alone!” she saluted to Chanyeol and left.

 

“Oh, Chanyeol,” Bomi blinked her eyes when she saw him. “Um… What…?”

 

“I was waiting for you,” Chanyeol managed to say before he could even think of anything else.  

 

“Oh. Oh, okay,” she repeated when she got her mind straight. A couple of her friends bumped her shoulder playfully, glancing at Chanyeol and they smirked, whispering not so quietly, ‘Boyfriend?’ to Bomi, and she just frowned and shook her head. Chanyeol pretended to hear nothing.

 

“Um, is it okay if I walk you home?” Chanyeol asked as they started to walk. “I need to talk about… yesterday.”

 

Bomi nodded, the image of Jiyeon and “Chanyeol got his heart broken by her,” already popped in her mind.

 

“I want to apologize… for leaving, yesterday,” Chanyeol started.

 

“It’s okay, you have your… things to do.” Bomi bit her lower lips. She was not in the place to be jealous. Not that she’s jealous.

 

Chanyeol stopped walking, touching Bomi’s elbow to make her stop and face him. “I know you know that I don’t have things to do. I just want to apologize and explain it to you.”

 

Bomi looked at Chanyeol and Chanyeol stared back at her.

 

The amount of times Chanyeol apologized to her was getting uncountable.

 

They didn’t know each other so they had been tip-toeing around, didn’t want to offend the other, hence the ‘I’m sorry’s and ‘It’s okay’s.

 

Bomi wanted to ask about Jiyeon, about Chanyeol and Jiyeon, but who was she to ask.

 

People said she’s like summer; bright, always full of spirit, a ball of happiness. But they who knew her better had seen her ugly side: she got jealous easily, she’s childish, and when she got mad… Now, older and she hoped, wiser, she felt sorry for Kyungsoo, that he had to put up with her bad mood and her tantrums.

 

But Chanyeol didn’t know that side of her and she had been careful around him so that she wouldn’t show him that part of her. With him, Bomi was happy, she laughs a lot, and that’s exactly the image she wanted Chanyeol to keep whenever he thought of her – if he ever did.

 

It’s clear to her now that she would never be able to think of Chanyeol as a mere friend.

 

And if Chanyeol thought of her as a mere friend, he wouldn’t be here now in front of her, trying to explain things that actually shouldn’t be Bomi’s concern.

 

Bomi wanted to say that he didn’t have to, that it’s not her problem and she’s not in the place to get Chanyeol’s explanation, that they’re just-

 

Bomi let out a soft, “Okay…,” and Chanyeol sighed of relief.

 

The label ‘friend’ might as well fly out of the window now when it’s obvious none of them thought of the other as that. Maybe it’s time to stop tip-toeing, and dropped all of the ‘It’s okay’s.

 

“I know Baekhyun already told you the summary,” Chanyeol tried to lighten up the mood with his grin when they started to walk again. “Her name is Park Jiyeon…,” Chanyeol had his hands on his pockets, eyes on the ground as he walked but his voice was clear and full with determination. “I kind of dated a lot during high school, not that I’m bragging or anything,” he quickly added, “because nothing was serious, I already told you my story. But Jiyeon…,” he rubbed his nose, “She was different.”

 

“So, she’s an ex-girlfriend?” Bomi gingerly asked.

 

“Ah, no,” Chanyeol shook his head. “That’s not the case. She’s… How should I say it?” he chuckled to cover his true feelings. “I think Baekhyun would say she played with me… And I don’t think I can deny it…”

 

“If you don’t want to talk about it…” There, she’s being careful again, Bomi knew, but she couldn’t help it. Chanyeol might be smiling on his lips but his eyes didn’t look like it.

 

Chanyeol glanced at her.

 

“But… if it’s okay with you… I want to know,” she said quietly.

 

Chanyeol grinned and ruffled her hair. Bomi let him.

 

“Right! So, Jiyeon… I don’t remember how we got close with her at first, we’re in different classes, but she ended up hang around us a lot, not only with me, but with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Jongin … You see, she’s pretty, and she obviously knows that. She’s friendly, too, she just has her own way with things. I don’t know, I just like her,” Chanyeol smiled-, “… a lot,” -bitterly. “Anyway… One day Jongin started telling me to stop liking Jiyeon. He didn’t say why, he’s not as blunt as Sehun. He just said that Jiyeon was not as good as I thought. But, hey, I like her, she’s nice to me, it seemed like there’s a big hope for me because she was really, really, nice to me, like… Just, you know, nice.”

 

Bomi nodded to show him that she’s understood.  

 

After seeing her nod, Chanyeol continued, “I was head over heels with her. I, uh, pretty much would do anything for her. To me, she’s… perfect,” he murmured. “At that time,” he quickly added. “Then… Later, I figured out that she, actually, knew about my feelings, but decided to ignore it and use it for her own benefit… Small things, actually,” Chanyeol shrugged, trying to look nonchalant about it, “… like carried her bag after school… accompanied her whenever she asked me too… did her homework… bought her flowers and chocolates… or things that she wanted, like accessories… bags… clothes…,” Bomi frowned and Chanyeol shrugged again. “Like I said, head over heels,” he explained.

 

Bomi nodded, trying not to huff.

 

“And, on top of that… She tried to hit on Jongin. Oh, and Suho Hyung too. Mostly Suho Hyung. She liked him and she used me to get close to Suho Hyung.”

 

“That’s-!” Bomi couldn’t stop herself from stomping. “That’s just too much!” she said, annoyed. But then she saw the look on Chanyeol’s face. “… and you still like her,” her words fell.

 

Chanyeol scratched his head sheepishly. “I was a fool right? I mean, I don’t like her now, but, yeah. I still liked her even after I knew about her.”

 

Bomi started walking again. “Well… We all did stupid things when we’re in love…,” Bomi mumbled.

 

Chanyeol cringed at the mention of L word. “Right, love…” He raked his hair with his hand, “So, that’s what happened. I don’t like her anymore, but it’s still kind of seeing her. One day I will be able to talk to her like any normal human being, but I guess that day isn’t yesterday,” he grinned. “I’m sorry for leaving you… um, and Minah, and Baekhyun, yesterday.”

 

“It’s okay,” and this time it’s not one of those out of courtesy ‘It’s okay’. “Thank you… for telling me this.”

 

“No problem,” Chanyeol said. “I, hmm, think you deserve to know.” He saw the puzzled look on Bomi’s face. “… you know why,” he answered the unspoken question, a small smile was planted on his lips when he looked away.

 

Just to made things less awkward because Bomi did know why, Bomi said, “Even though I’m not sure you are capable to talk like a normal human being-”

 

“Hey!”

 

“-but I’m sure one day you will be able to talk to her just fine,” Bomi patted Chanyeol’s back. “First love is hard to forget. Oh, is she your first love?”

 

“First love?” Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows when he thought about it. “I never think about stuff like that… What’s the definition of first love anyway? The first person that you like?”

 

A certain image of a boy with short, black hair and huge eyes flashed in Bomi’s mind.

 

“... No? For me, it’s more like… the first person that you really, really like,” she only could explain it in that way.

 

“Well, if you say it like that…,” Chanyeol scrunched up his nose, “I guess, yeah, she’s my first love.”

 

“Hmm… It’ll get better, trust me.” Bomi felt her steps somehow lighter now.

 

Chanyeol glanced at Bomi from the corner of his eyes. “Soooo… How about you?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Tell me about your first love.”

 


 

I’m seriously at maintaining the chapter’s length and this author's note is looooong too, so there you go, the long chapter. I have a lot of people to thank… the first would be YOU, FOR READING THIS, and for anyone who leave me comments and subscribe to this, thank youuuu <3 by the way, I'm (not really) sorry if you're a Chanyeol/Jiyeon shipper. I don't hate Jiyeon or anything, okay.

melodybeauty, for the upvote. _noonim, the one who managed to found out about the trailer even before I post it here, lol. Same-country fellow; ohyeahomi, HummingBirds (fighting for your assignments!), ara2712. For SHINeejjang, you know why, seriously, thank you. Lastly, I want to congratulate boogerbrain95, for asking the right question ;p

 

For the lack of Kyungmi lately -- SHIneejjang, this is for your bleeding heart. Now the words are helping, right? Credit to iheartexopink @ tumblr.

 

By the way, my other stories: A Better Place (oneshot, Sehun/Krystal) and The Sound of the Falling Rain (chaptered, Baekhyun/Chanyeol; Baekhyun/Jongdae). Please read them if you have time~