Indifference

Rumours Started It All

Days passed and it had already been close to a year since HyunJung started her busy life in Singapore. The problems had been solved by the sixth month she was here luckily, but her father managed to convince her to stay to run the hotel here in case anymore problems may arise.

Having stacks of papers on her desk each morning she steps into her office, she is already used to being occupied by massive amount of workloads assigned to her every day.

In the first few weeks, she made many mistakes since she was still not used to the working environment, but she learnt fast. Those few weeks made her stressed up. She felt like the heavy workloads were strangling her, making it hard for her to breathe. In addition, her mind and her heart was in Korea, thus it was hard for her to concentrate. Only after the Super Junior members' constant encouragement and promise to support through phone or skype did she manage to push through.

What surprised her during those days was that most of the calls, text or skype request were from DongHae, though KyuHyun contacted her almost as much as well and HeeChul coming up next. Her friendship with DongHae was already almost as good as before. Even though both know each other want more but none took the step. HyunJung was afraid of ruining their friendship again - though there was nothing to be afraid of since DongHae reciprocates her feelings - while DongHae, he was just waiting for the right time, for her to be back that is.  He constantly made sure that she was still aware of his feelings by restating or reminding her of his confession, or simply adding 'I love you' at the end of their conversations. It always did not fail to make her blush and smile.

HyunJung and the boys will often chat on skype after their hectic day of schedule, or simply exchanging calls or texts whenever they are free. It was until two months ago that they suddenly stop contacting her. There were no calls, no texts nor any skype requests. Even when HyunJung had initiated the texts or the calls, they would end with short replies like 'I'm busy now', 'I'm at my schedules', or 'I'll contact you later'. They never did return the call after that, even when she waited till late at night. HyunJung felt weird because, as far as she knew, they were not going for any tours nor did they have any super packed schedules. 

DongHae, too, showed his unwillingness to carry on with their conversation after exchanging a few sentences with HyunJung. She thought they were already okay. So why this treatment now? Maybe it was just the phrasing of his text or the tone of his voice that told her he did not show any interest in their conversation, but it was just a need for him to do that to HyunJung. However, DongHae really wished to be able to talk to her longer, listen to her sweet voice and see her every single moment, but he was unable to do that...

After two weeks of trying to talk to the Super Junior members, she still experienced the continuous cold-shoulder shown by them. HyunJung felt dejected. She finally gave up, because she felt tired of this indifference. She thought they would be her support even when she was in another country. They told her so. They promisedI guess promises were meant to be broken. She would sadly think each time she thought of the boys.

She forced herself to work to not be reminded of the boys every time her mind allows her to wander. She accepted more work and often stayed in the office till late night before she returned to the apartment. She puts full concentration into her work and it was just work, eat and sleep every day, without having any form of entertainment.

SeoEun was the one who guided HyunJung along since the day she started working. She cared for her well-being as well. She became a really great friend or rather, a great sister to HyunJung, taking care of her in a way a real sister would. HyunJung was grateful to have this great woman by her side. If SeoEun was not to be there for her, she would not be able to remember to take her meals on time or she would just not take any notice of the time and focus on her work.

HyunJung trusted her enough to tell her about everything. She would mention the boys to her almost every day, before they started distancing themselves from her. When she first knew HyunJung was friends with Super Junior, SeoEun was surprised but treated them as normal friends of HyunJung's and not question about them each time HyunJung talks about them. SeoEun knows about what happened between the boys and HyunJung but decided not to ask much about it.

-

Other than having to get the paper works done each day, HyunJung also has to make rounds around the hotel to make sure that everything works smoothly. Well, not just smoothly, but in the tip-top condition. Sometimes, she would also have to meet important guests and their hotel partners, just like today. She was arranged to meet the president of a top restaurant chain in Korea whom is interested in a franchise to expand his restaurant to Singapore at the Park's Hotel. He thought that since the hotel origin from Korea, it would be a great start to open a branch there.

SeoEun was busy with the work in the hotel today thus HyunJung had to drive herself to the meeting area. She preferred to drive herself than to have a driver since she had an international driving license from Korea. Although she is still not fully familiar of the areas in Singapore, it has already been almost a year since she was here and also, the country was small, so she knows how to drive herself around to most of the places here.

She was looking for the meeting place when she did not notice a car parked at the side of the road until she bumped into it. The collision caused a huge jerk and HyunJung was shocked with what happened. She looked out and saw that there was a huge dent at the front of the car. She felt responsible for it but she was in a rush and the owner was not there. She then took out a piece of paper from her bag and apologized for her carelessness then also jotting down her contact number. Getting out of her car, she immediately slipped the piece of paper underneath the windshieid wiper before slipping back into her car seat to get to the meeting place.

-

Fortunately, she arrived at the meeting place on time and the meeting went well with the president of the restaurant, whom she now knows as Mr. Kim. She was glad that the both of them were from Korea and they could speak to each other comfortably. His first branch of restaurant in Singapore will be in Park's hotel and it will be starting its work in a few months' time. 

When she reached home, it was only 9pm and she allowed herself to take a break from work today as she does not have much work. Only for today. She told herself. When she finally lets her mind off from all of the pressure from working at the hotel, it automatically drifts off to the members whom she missed so much. She did not want to admit but it is a fact. She missed how LeeTeuk used to lecture them for making too much noise and for those childish quarrels; She missed HeeChul calling her his daughter; She missed YeSung's weirdness but those casual concern for her; She missed KangIn and EunHyuk protectively keeping her from the other boys when they quarreled about who gets to sit with her during those dinner they had together; She missed ShinDong kindly sharing food with her when she knows he does not even like to share with s; She missed the talks about the future or simple chats with SiWon, ZhouMi and SungMin; She missed going grocery shopping with RyeoWook because he would buy her anything she likes to eat; She missed having to do aegyo with Henry to get what they want; She missed fooling around with KyuHyun to plan on each day's pranks on the members; She missed how DongHae cared for her. She missed how the Super Junior members tell stupid jokes and play around foolishly, but never failed to make her laugh anyway. She simply missed them. 

This is why she did not want to stop herself from working; stop herself from keeping her mind occupied. She would always think about them and start getting gloomy each time she does. She does not know why the boys started to avoid her and she does not want to either, afraid that she might not be able to take it once she was told the reason - whatever it is.

She let out a sigh and took the remote control to turn on the television. It was on the Korean news channel and it was showing the entertainment news. She was watching it inattentively until the next headline made her fall into a complete daze. 


 

I apologize again for being away for so long!