EunSiHae

The Road to Redemption

Now we go back to the battle. By the way, if you are looking for a good demonstration of brilliant martial arts, fighting skills or swordplay, you’re going to get disappointed.

 

Gripping the hilt tighter Donghae drew his sword out of the sheath. The sword was gleaming a glow of gold. That made a number of onlookers gasp in awe.

 

As if echoing Donghae’s sword, something Eunhyuk was concealing in his sleeve gave out light. Eunhyuk released the little mechanism at his right wrist and revealed the short sword originally hidden inside. The short sword was burning a fire-like red flare.

 

Naturally the crowd was amazed by the golden and fire-red glows from the swords. However there’s only one person among the crowd who was startled and made speechless because of the right reason.

 

Henry found his heart pounding hard, and his breath taken away. Donghae holds the long sword of Yang. Could that be the short sword of Yin? Could Eunhyuk be…?

 

At the same time Donghae frowned. Why is it beaming red now? It used to be…

 

When Donghae shifted his eyes to meet Eunhyuk’s he couldn’t help but gulped. Flames of rage like fire were burning inside.

 

Yes Donghae they are shining red now. What’s gone is already gone. I’m no longer who I used to be. Thanks for reminding me of the sweet moments we once shared. It’s time to end all these. You know perfectly well how much I hate my current form of existence. Donghae… do your job and finish me.

 

Firmly (maybe even stubbornly) Donghae shook his head. NO!! I promised I will guard you with my life. Now take my life and leave! When they see even the platinum hunter lose against you they will leave you alone.

 

Stop being selfish!!!

 

Why on earth am I being selfish?! Why offering my life to protect you is being termed selfish by you?! Now it’s Donghae’s turn to have anger bursting out of his eyes.

 

You!!! You!!! Slowly blood (normally cold) inside Eunhyuk was boiling up with rage. YOU STILL DON’T UNDERSTAND!!! YOU NEVER UNDERSTAND!!! HOW DARE YOU? HOW DARE YOU ASK ME TO TAKE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Donghae saw tears glistening inside Eunhyuk’s eyes. The next moment those eyes were right in front of his; and he could see his own image, jaw-tightened expression on the verge of tears, reflected out of them. Instinctively Donghae had his sword raised horizontally in front of his chest, meeting Eunhyuk’s sword pressing against him.

 

Siwon felt like something had just knocked him over. He had never imagined the blow caused by Eunhyuk piercing through his magical field would be so striking. He’s momentarily deafened and had to stumble a few paces in order to steady himself.

 

Nevertheless years of training allowed Siwon to restore his concentration the next minute. He summoned every strength in him and focused all his magic on containing Eunhyuk.

 

Eunhyuk could feel the magic around him. It’s one of the strongest he had ever experienced. He was very much aware of the hindrance caused but he ignored it. Anger gave him strength. He raised his sword and made stabs one after the other. His movements were so fluid it’s like he was dancing.

 

The crowd might be worrying about Donghae but actually none of those stabs were aimed at anywhere vital or vulnerable. And Donghae was blocking those “attacks” with ease, like he’s practicing.

 

Whenever their swords met they gave sparkles of light, as well as clear, sharp and melodious clanks. On the battlefield the 2 of them were dancing. Their steps and moves flowed with the rhythm and tempo of the clanks; with the beams of golden and fire-red lights surrounding them. It was quite a performance.

 

Fight!! Donghae!! What are you doing? You’re a hunter and you have to finish me!!

 

You know I can’t do that! Stop asking me to finish you. There must be another way out of all these!!

 

Another way? Where? Show me!! Where?

 

……

 

Tears rolled down Eunhyuk’s eyes and he let out a bitter smile. There’s no other way… right? Donghae…

 

Eunhyuk…

 

……

 

Abruptly both of them halted. At that moment both of them very much wanted to hold the other in their arms; bury themselves in each other’s embrace and cried their souls out.

 

But they just remained still. They were frozen like sculptures. Glows from their swords were shining even brighter; making the tears in their eyes twinkle.

 

Their auras captured everyone. Nobody moved. Nobody spoke.

 

If the flames of anger burning in Eunhyuk’s eyes did scare Donghae, they were in no way comparable to what Donghae now saw in them.

 

Helplessness.

 

Desperation.

 

Despair.

 

Eunhyuk…

 

The feeling of regret, way more bitter and stronger than ever, overwhelmed Donghae. His heart was like being squeezed and tightened in the most painful way. His whole body was trembling.

 

When Eunhyuk looked into Donghae’s eyes he saw very much the same things.

 

Helplessness.

 

Desperation.

 

Despair.

 

Donghae…

 

And he was immersed in very much the same feelings.

 

I beg you… Donghae… Just finish me and let go. Let go of all these. Forget about me. Free yourself and start a new life… OK?

 

Eunhyuk… I can’t… I love you…

 

Love is not enough… Donghae… Love is not enough…

 

While the 2 of them were still in their own world, people around started wondering and murmuring.

 

“What are they doing?”

 

“Is the fight over? Who won?”

 

“It’s kinda disappointing. Do you think so?”

 

Siwon’s brows creased upon hearing those. Hyung come on!!

 

The next instant he bit his lip. Sorry Hyung… if you can’t do it I will do it.

 

Thunderbolts were shot from Siwon towards Eunhyuk.

 

Sparks of the thunderbolts cast into Eunhyuk’s eyes; jerking Donghae out of the little world. Those reminded him of what he saw in Rosie’s eyes just some time ago. He gasped and got shivers down his spine. NO!!!! Not Eunhyuk!!!

 

Upon seeing panic in Donghae’s eyes Eunhyuk was woken up as well. Actually he was in no way near any danger. He knew thunderbolts were fired at him and he had multiple options to deal with them. Just when he was about to react he heard Donghae.

 

No!!! Siwon stop!!

 

Knowing perfectly well what Donghae was about to do Eunhyuk cried out to the other.

 

No!!! Donghae stop!!

 

To the onlookers it was like both of them acted at the same time. But if one could examine that instant split second by split second, one would see that Donghae acted first. And then Eunhyuk followed a split second later.

 

His body acting on its own, a beam of golden light surged out of Donghae’s palm towards Siwon, engulfing and dissolving all thunderbolts on the way.

 

Before anyone could register, another beam of fire-red light surged out of Eunhyuk’s palm towards Siwon. To be accurate it’s not targeted towards Siwon, but the golden beam of Donghae’s.

 

The two beams of light encountered each other shortly in front of Siwon, offsetting the power of one another.

 

……

 

Siwon, seeing streams of light beam firing at him all of a sudden, was certainly left stunned and speechless. Frozen at the spot, he was not even aware he had dropped the magical field.

 

Everyone was silenced. The murmurings died down immediately. People found their minds crowded with questions.

 

Was that magic? This I can answer you now. Yes it was magic from both Donghae and Eunhyuk.

 

Wasn’t Donghae a slayer? How come he could use magic? During the vampire hunter training whenever one was discovered to be capable of using magic he / she would be chosen to go the catcher path. Therefore it’s not normal that a slayer would at the same time be a magic user.

 

This I can partially answer you now. Well… there’s a reason why Donghae was of platinum level right? This was something even Henry didn’t know. Donghae could use magic. Just he wouldn’t in normal circumstances.

 

And why Eunhyuk could use magic? Vampires couldn’t use magic right? For centuries during which vampires existed it’s never heard that any one of them could use magic.

 

This… sigh… is a long story I cannot answer you now. Correct. Vampires couldn’t use magic. Actually even Donghae was surprised at that moment to see magic from Eunhyuk. So…

 

The crowd had the same question as you all have now. So what was he? What was Eunhyuk?

 

……

 

Donghae and Eunhyuk looked at each other. Eunhyuk could hear each and everyone clearly. Thanks to the well-developed senses. He heard people whispering, discussing about him.

 

“What is he?”

 

“Is he some new form of creature? More dangerous than vampires?”

 

“Maybe he’s mutated?”

 

Those whispers were like swords piercing his soul, slashing his heart. He cursed his existence more than ever. Fire burning at the back of his throat was fast spreading. He glared at the other. What am I? Donghae… WHAT AM I?!!!!!!!

 

Eunhyuk vanished like wind. Nevertheless his cry was still echoing inside Donghae’s head. It’s going to stay there for days… or even longer… Every syllable was an explosion in Donghae’s mind, banging his head, blowing everything out…

 

Donghae broke down.

 

He dropped his sword. His knees gave way and onto the ground he collapsed. Hugging himself tight, fists clenched, choking on his own tears shaking he whispered unceasingly. “Eunhyuk… Eunhyuk ah… EUNHYUK!!!!!!”

 

-----------------------------

A/N: OMG I'm sooooooooooooooooo doomed!!! Can I ever write happy stories?! >_<