The Magic (Part 1)

The Road to Redemption

Warm and comforting sunshine flowed into the room through the window. Birds were singing joyful and lively songs outside. Breeze of wind gently caressed every corner in the room; carrying along refreshing scents of the beautiful spring day. Those were there to tell people how bright life could be; how much hope the future could contain.

 

When Siwon shifted his eyes to look at Donghae, who was lying on the bed trapped in the nightmare again, he frowned and sighed.

 

At first Donghae would smile the sweetest grin. “Hyukkie…” This would last for some time. It was like he was having a sweet dream. Nevertheless that’s actually the beginning of the nightmare.

 

And then at one point in time Donghae would start sweating, stirring, and shuddering with his fists clenched. “No… Hyukkie… Don’t leave me… Hyukkie!! HYUKKIE!!!”

 

Not long after that tears would come out of his eyes and trickle down his cheeks. “Hyukkie… No… You can’t leave me… Hyukkie…”

 

At the end Donghae would pant heavily. As he gasped for air his chest would rise and fall rapidly...

 

“EUNHYUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Donghae screamed and jolted up. His eyes widened while he was catching his breath.

 

……

 

“... Hyung...” Softly Siwon spoke and wiped away the sweat and tears on Donghae’s face with a towel.

 

Donghae drew in a deep breath and closed his eyes. Weakly he took the towel and covered his face with it. Siwon could see Donghae was still shivering. His fingers were gripping the towel tightly, even digging into his face. Donghae was sobbing.

 

Siwon tried to come up with some comforting words. But at the end he just remained quiet. He knew it’s simply not possible. No matter how much he wanted to help Donghae out of this, he’s helpless.

 

It’s been like this since day 1 Siwon partnered with Donghae. He’s been looking for Eunhyuk since that day. And Donghae’s situation was getting more and more serious. However Donghae refused to talk about it. More than once Siwon tried to reason with Donghae; that Donghae should let somebody help him. Donghae just stubbornly rejected. Siwon knew it then. This part of Donghae was something which couldn’t be touched. It’s too painful. It’s too haunting. Donghae would rather be chained by the anguish; than to endure the pain of any healings which, according to Donghae, would not release him anyway.

 

Sincerely Siwon respected and admired his hyung. He possessed the courage and calm the best vampire hunter should have. Siwon never saw Donghae flinch the tiniest bit no matter how powerful the vampire he faced was; how difficult the battle became; or how unfavorable the situation developed into. Donghae’s mind was always clear about what he should do. More to that Donghae was such a cheerful person whom everyone would love to be with. It’s like the sun shined everywhere Donghae was. He could lighten up even the most distressful atmosphere.

 

But whenever it came to Eunhyuk… Donghae flustered. Donghae crumbled. It’s by no means exaggerated. Eunhyuk possessed Donghae. His heart, his mind, his soul, his every pulse, his whole person, each and every single bit of his being belonged to Eunhyuk. He breathed because of Eunhyuk. His heart beat because of Eunhyuk. His blood flowed because of Eunhyuk. He lived because of Eunhyuk. Everything Donghae did, he did it because of Eunhyuk…

 

Who is Eunhyuk to you hyung?

 

When Siwon looked at Donghae he wondered why. What could it be? Why would Eunhyuk have such a power, such a strong grip over Donghae?

 

After some time (actually after quite some time) sobbing of Donghae gradually stopped. Softly Donghae whispered. “Siwon I’m sorry… I can’t let that happen to Eunhyuk… I was so terrified I forgot everything…”

 

Siwon bit his lip and sighed again. He patted Donghae’s shoulder. “It’s alright hyung. I understand.”

 

Honestly it’s not completely alright for Siwon. And Siwon knew he didn’t really understand. Because of Eunhyuk Donghae ignored the code of vampire hunters. Because of Eunhyuk Donghae nearly injured his own hunter partner. He almost hurt Siwon who’s been fighting with Donghae; who’s been supporting Donghae; who’s been loyally following Donghae... If it’s not because of Eunhyuk…It’s all because of Eunhyuk…

 

It really didn’t feel good.

 

But seeing Donghae like this Siwon decided he wouldn’t press further. Siwon himself would deal with his feelings. That’s the only thing Siwon could help his hyung at that moment (to not put further burdens on the other). Hopefully one day Donghae could free himself from the torments…

 

Hopefully…

 

Siwon decided to change the topic. “Hyung I didn’t know you actually can use magic.”

 

Donghae looked up and smiled a bitter smile. His eyes, slowly being filled with sorrow, shifted to stare out the window.

 

Siwon couldn’t help clenching his fists as he realized. It has something to do with him… again!!

 

Donghae didn’t tell Siwon at that time. But I can tell you now.

 

……

 

One time a magician came to perform in their village. “So Hyukkie can come with me?” Donghae asked with his eyes sparkling.

 

After begging, pleading and whining for days, Hyukjae’s father finally gave in and sighed. “OK. As long as the work in the field is done.”

 

“It’s done!! It’s done!! I will help him!!” The next minute Donghae bounced out the house and rushed into the field. He yelled excitedly on the way. “HYUKKIE!!! WE CAN GO!!!”

 

Hyukjae was working in the farmland. Upon hearing Donghae he looked up. Before he could comprehend Donghae had already gripped his hand and pulled him into a run. “Donghae wait!!! At least I have to…”

 

Donghae cut him off. “We don’t have time!! The show is already starting!!”

 

When they reached the plaza a lot of people had gathered already. The 2 of them squeezed their way through the crowd, earning grunts from their schoolmates Heechul and Kangin. “Hey!! Watch it!!”

 

“Sorry…” Hyukjae stopped to apologize.

 

Donghae pulled Hyukjae away. “Hyukkie! Hurry!!”

 

They managed to get themselves a good spot before the show began. A young man, around the age of 20, in green robe appeared. At first glance he looked just normal. However when he began his magic show nobody could take his / her eyes off him.

 

That hat was definitely empty. And it’s clearly just an ordinary hat. Donghae had examined it thoroughly. Nevertheless the man took out ribbons, flowers, pigeons and even a rabbit out of it.

 

And that rope was undoubtedly just a simple and normal rope. The man cut it in half. It’s definitely cut in half. Hyukjae had checked it over and over again. However with a magic spell the rope was restored like nothing had ever happened.

 

Donghae and Hyukjae could only widen their eyes, blinked in disbelief and gasped in awe.

 

More to that, the magician could make things appear out of mid-air. He raised his hand, showing everyone it’s empty. Then he closed it, did some magic gestures. When he opened his hand again he’s holding gold coins.

 

“Wow Donghae this is awesome!!” Hyukjae softly exclaimed.

 

......

 

Suddenly the magician came to stand in front of Hyukjae. He extended his hand and gently brushed Hyukjae’s cheek and ear lobe. Out of nowhere a rose made its way into the magician’s hand.

 

Everybody was amazed and applauded. However Donghae was not happy. He pouted and wrapped his arms around Hyukjae, eyeing the magician suspiciously. When later on the magician handed out the rose to Hyukjae Donghae snatched it.

 

“What’s wrong Donghae?” Hyukjae asked, bewildered.

 

“No nothing!” Donghae held Hyukjae tighter.

 

The very best was kept until the end of the show. With a wave of his arm sparkles of light followed the man’s motion and when he halted, he had a sphere of fire on his palm. That took everyone’s breath away, including Donghae’s.

 

Let me tell you, even though you may know already. What the magician did earlier were pure tricks anyone could do (as long as one knew the secrets). But the last one… was magic. It was truly magic.

 

Back in the house the 2 of them were frantically talking about the magic show.

 

“Donghae I really would like to have that magic hat! Isn’t it great you can get whatever you want out of it? I wonder if you can get strawberries…” Hyukjae rested his head on Donghae’s shoulder, imagining.

 

Donghae put his arm around Hyukjae’s shoulder. “Yes that would be great. It’s cool when you can use magic to restore things. I guess the magician can as well mend other stuff, not just the rope right? You remember my wooden horse was broken…”

 

Hyukjae nodded. “How wonderful it is to know magic…”

 

“Hyukkie maybe we should learn magic. Then we can get gold coins out of mid air! We will be rich!!”

 

“Let’s get started and find ourselves the robes first? Shall we?” Hyukjae’s eyes brightened when he looked up at Donghae.

 

An idea came to Donghae’s mind. He stood up and walked over to the wardrobe. After some rummaging he pulled the blankets out of it. Excited he wrapped Hyukjae with one and covered himself with another.

 

Grinning widely Donghae waved his arm like the magician. “I am a magician!!!”

 

Chuckling Hyukjae did the same. “I am a magician!!!”

 

……

 

Both of them gasped and froze.

 

“D… Donghae…”

 

A sphere of blue flame was floating above Hyukjae’s palm…

 

Hyukjae was trembling; and he felt streams of warmth flowing inside him. Something within him was released; some kind of force was surging out and circulating through him.

 

That’s how the magical current felt.

 

 

---------------------------

A/N: Sorry I have to cut it in half again... it's getting too long again... I'm so busy this week and I'm happy I can still release a chapter!! Hope you enjoy it!!

A/N2: Now you know how Hyukkie came to know magic. You will know the same about Donghae in the next chapter!! ^^