Epilogue I

The Road to Redemption

It’s very early in the morning. Henry was eager and excited. He couldn’t sleep anymore. Restlessly pacing in his room his eyes shifted to look out the window from time to time. The sun was coming out. Nevertheless the moon refused to give way as her shift’s not completely over yet. Henry wished he could side with the sun and push the moon away as soon as possible.

 

He checked again (for at least the 30thtime) if he had got everything ready. Scrolls of new parchments. Check. Quill pens and ink. Check. Books and articles in which he had questions or queries (those were at least 10 stacks high). Check. Piles of papers on which he had noted down various things he would like to know. Check.

 

Everything’s ready. It’s just the sun was not completely out. And that time was flowing too slowly. And most of all, the 2 of them had not arrived yet! ARRRR!!! Inside Henry a voice was screaming. Come on!! It should be any day this week. Please make it today!!! TODAY!!!

 

Months ago they got a letter from Donghae and Hyukjae that the 2 of them would be visiting; and proposed a get-together. Siwon would join as well. Since then Henry had difficulties sleeping. It only got worse as the time approached. He couldn’t help peeking out from the windows or front door once in a while. And these days he had simply given up the idea of sleeping. What if they arrive in the middle of the night?

 

Yesterday Siwon arrived. That distracted Henry a little. They chatted for a long time. And Henry had the chance to listen to a lot of Siwon’s.adventures (and some of Donghae’s). Those, however, only managed to fuel Henry’s eagerness further, making every passing second a torture to him. He couldn’t wait to hear from Donghae and Hyukjae what happened during their journey, and how Eunhyuk was cured.

 

The door bell rang, pierced through the morning air. Henry found his legs took him downstairs and to the front door; his hand clasped over the door handle and his voice coming out from his throat. “Donghae hyung!!”

 

And there they were. The couple possessing the chemistry capable of making everyone on earth envy was standing right there; smiling at Henry. It was still early and the sleepy sun had just reluctantly climbed over her workplace. She’s not giving out a lot of light yet. However the 2 of them were like shining on their own. Their presence lightened up the whole atmosphere.

 

Hyukjae had not changed much since last time Henry met him. The milky white skin, those charming eyes, the smile which could take your breath away, remained. But it’s obvious that the ice shield coated on Eunhyuk had melted. And the best part was that Hyukjae was leaning on Donghae.

 

Same applied to Donghae. He also had not changed much. Maybe only his eyes were sparkling even more. His face was beaming with nothing else but happiness. Last time Henry saw Donghae it was like a heavy mist was hovering over him. But now Donghae’s carrying an aura illuminating so brightly. And the best part was that Donghae had his arm around Hyukjae’s shoulder.

 

Seeing the 2 of them like that, no one could suppress their smile. Henry was no exception. His face brightened as the corners of his mouth were pulled up.

 

Donghae extended his arms. “Henry! It’s been a long time!”

 

“Hyung! Welcome! It’s so glad to see you again!” Henry ran over to Donghae and they hugged each other.

 

Moments later Henry turned to look at Hyukjae. Expectantly grinning, eyes blinking and pleading, Henry asked. “Hyukjae hyung! May I hug you?”

 

Hyukjae nodded. Yet instead it’s Donghae who answered. “OK! But only once!”

 

Chuckling Henry walked over to Hyukjae. As Hyukjae embraced him Henry spared a glance at Donghae. Donghae had his arms folded and he was bitterly pouting. Henry winked at him and earned a glare from Donghae. Henry stuck his tongue out.

 

“Hyung!” Siwon appeared and saved Henry from whatever Donghae was about to do.

 

“Siwon!!” Donghae and Siwon embraced each other tightly. Both of them couldn’t speak. But there’s no need for words. Their tears said it all. For long they were there listening to the silence.

 

……

 

“Hey are you guys coming in?” Mina’s voice woke everyone up. Mina and Nina were standing at the door waiting. Nina was genuinely smiling while it was obvious that Mina was getting a bit impatient. Nevertheless she couldn’t help her smile either.

 

Right when all of them had settled in the living room Henry couldn’t wait any longer. He had his stuff ready and he began asking Donghae and Hyukjae questions, taking notes at the same time. Everyone was enchanted by the revelation of this important part of human / vampire history.

 

……

 

“So Hyukjae hyung! You kissed Donghae hyung?” Henry looked up from the parchment, stared at Hyukjae with widened eyes and asked.

 

All of a sudden Hyukjae found himself in the center of everyone’s attention, in the middle of the spotlight. Everyone was having their eyes on him, eagerly waiting for the answer. The next second Hyukjae felt his cheeks burning. And everybody could see the color change clearly.

 

……

 

Hyukjae timidly pouted and lowered his head. His silence created further suspense in the air. People started grinning. Henry couldn’t help asking further. Softly he whispered. “Hyukjae hyung… fully… on… the… lips… right?”

 

Henry shifted his eyes to glance at Donghae, who was having sweetness all over his face. Henry knew the answer immediately. He raised his eyebrows and continued taking notes. “Ar OK! Let me note it down.”

 

And then everyone was amazed seeing the 2 of them move with the same wavelength and rhythm. Hyukjae buried his face in Donghae’s chest and Donghae just naturally wrapped his arms around the other. Softly Donghae ruffled Hyukjae’s hair and whispered into Hyukjae’s ear. “Hyukkie don’t be shy. It’s a kiss I will never forget!” Grinning Donghae stamped a quick peck onto Hyukjae’s cheek.

 

“Oh come on! The 2 of you!!” Mina rolled her eyes and everybody burst into laughter.

 

……

 

Hyukjae was sleeping peacefully, his face reflecting the silver glow of moonlight coming in through the window. Donghae was sitting on the edge of the bed taking in that beautiful picture.

 

It was quiet. Not even a breeze of wind dared to disturb the tranquility.

 

While the reminiscences were playing in his mind, his fingers gently caressing Hyukjae’s face, Donghae’s heart was overflowing with love.

 

Hyukjae had undergone a lot of pain. Really a lot. Donghae failed him. A stream of bitterness crossed Donghae’s heart when he recalled that bitter moment. And because of that Hyukjae had fallen under the power of darkness. Just the fact was sufficient to make Hyukjae’s pure soul weep forever. Further to that, the devil had done every possible thing to torture, crush, humiliate, impose pain on Hyukjae; who was innocent / stubborn enough to remain pure and defiant the whole time. Hyukkie… how precious you are…

 

Donghae told himself. It all happened because he chose to insist upon his own desires rather than Hyukjae’s. Hyukjae was always submissive yes. Maybe that’s the reason… But no. Going forward Donghae would only treasure the other. He would not force his own will onto Hyukjae.

 

That’s love, surrendering your own desires… and your own self…

 

Slowly and tenderly Donghae lay down beside Hyukjae. His eyes never left Hyukjae’s face. And he just couldn’t help settling his eyes on those lips. Once again Donghae recalled that kiss…

 

It’s a kiss I will never forget.Without him noticing, Donghae found his own fingers touching his own lips; and himself smiling like an idiot. Grinning he gently touched Hyukjae’s lips with his fingers. They’re so soft and… tempting… How much Donghae wanted to kiss the other right at that moment…

 

In the past Donghae would really do that. But not now. He would no longer be only focusing on his own will. Maybe later. Hyukjae was sleeping and Donghae didn’t want to wake him up. Cuddling closer Donghae embraced Hyukjae and closed his eyes.

 

Donghae didn’t see it. The next moment Hyukjae grinned and bit his lip…

 

……

 

The 2 of them were back home, a long deserted village nobody was dwelling in.

 

The mid-day sun was shining. Nevertheless the place remained gloomy.

 

For long they were kneeling in front of the gravestones, their swords lying on the ground in front of them.

 

“Appa… There are no more vampires on earth… And we are back appa…” Both of them still remembered the vow they pledged when they left this place… more than 10 years ago…

 

Appa… we will avenge you. We will kill all vampires! Wait for us appa. Triumphantly we will return, with dignity, with victory! Appa we will make you proud!

 

Now they realized how naïve they were at that time, how much they had overestimated vengeance.

 

They had avenged their families. And most probably their families were proud of them. But nothing, nothing, could recompense the loss of their parents and brother/sister. Forever they would miss them. Forever the scar would ache. Forever the void in their hearts would stay.

 

Some wounds could never be healed. You just had to live with them.

 

10 years… even centuries… were way too short to dry those tears…

 

……

 

The next day they walked through the cave together. The cave itself had not changed. It’s just they had grown up and had to stoop during the whole time.

 

The landscape they saw when they got out of the cave also hadn’t changed. It’s just all the villages they could oversee from there were abandoned.

 

It had been more than 10 years…

 

Under the sunset they immersed themselves in flashbacks.

 

Sitting on the grassland Hyukjae leaned against Donghae, whose arms were wrapped around him. After some time Hyukjae tilted his head to look at the other. Golden light cast on him made Donghae’s eyes sparkle even more. Hyukjae was glad seeing joy coming out of those eyes. He’s more than thankful that he could see Donghae smile again.

 

Come to think of it. If it’s not because of Donghae Hyukjae wouldn’t be sitting here. Donghae was his angel who’s always protecting him; who insisted on staying even when he himself chose to leave; even when there seemed to be no hope.

 

Donghae saved him from the most deathly poison when they both were still kids. Yes Donghae turned him into a vampire but because of that he didn’t die. And Donghae went so far to confront the devil in order to redeem him. Recollecting what kind of life Donghae was living; how the devil treated Donghae; and how Donghae begged to stay beside Hyukjae when the tower was crumbling… Hyukjae’s eyes were welling up.

 

He buried his face in Donghae’s chest and wound his arms around Donghae’s body. Tears streamed down his cheeks. “Donghae…”

 

Looking down Donghae gazed at Hyukjae softly. He tightened his hug. “Hyukkie don’t cry. It’s all over now right?”

 

Burying himself deeper in Donghae’s embrace Hyukjae nodded. “But I still want to say thanks…”

 

A sensation of warmth and love surged into Donghae heart; as he felt Hyukjae tremble slightly in his arms. “You’re worth it Hyukkie. What happened to me was nothing. If I’m to choose again I would do the same. Nothing really matters but you Hyukkie.”

 

Though Donghae was trying to soothe Hyukjae, what he just said made the other sob even more. Donghae cupped Hyukjae’s face in his hands and tenderly kissed those tears away. Smile Hyukkie. I want to see you smile.

 

Each kiss injected love into Hyukjae’s veins. Gradually the sobbing stopped. Hyukjae gazed at Donghae and timidly smiled. “Donghae you have a dream right?”

 

Gently Donghae pinched Hyukjae’s cheek. “My dream is right here!”

 

Hyukjae took Donghae’s hand. “No I mean… Once when we were here you told me you wanted to travel around the world. Right?”

 

Donghae nodded recalling that piece of flashback.

 

“Do it Donghae. I will follow you wherever you go. I will do whatever you ask me to.” Hyukjae said sincerely.

 

The next instant Hyukjae’s heart skipped a beat seeing Donghae let out an evil grin. Before he could comprehend Hyukjae found himself pushed down onto the grassland with Donghae hovering over him.

 

Those sparkling eyes captured Hyukjae. At the same time Hyukjae’s lips had captured those sparkling eyes. Really Hyukkie? There’s this one thing I want to ask for long.

 

W… What? Hyukjae gulped.

 

Teasingly Donghae raised Hyukjae’s chin. Slowly Donghae lowered his head until their lips were inches apart. The grin on Donghae’s face widened. Love me. And let me love you. That’s all I ask.

 

Watching them, the sun was blushing. Sunset had sprinkled them with golden dust. And under the golden sunset, the golden kiss took place. Lips touched and completed the circult. For long, really really long, those lips refused to leave each other…

 

Donghae… You don’t have to ask… You know I love you…

 

Hyukkie… You know what? Let me love you more…

 

Currents of love were flowing… smoothly… beautifully… drowning them… paralyzing them…

 

Exhilarating thrills and sweetness were circulating… unceasingly… crazily… binding them tight… blending them into one…

 

Sunset was truly beautiful. It’s just…

 

… truly… beautiful…

 

 

------------------------------

A/N: They are just cute right? I was v happy writing and imagining the whole time~~~ lalalalala~~~

A/N2: I'm super happy seeing this SJ-EunHae subgroup!!! I'm so cool I'm so cool~~~ ^___^

A/N3: ELFs we fight!!! We vote for SJ to get GDA!!! VOTE!!!