The Cause (Part 2)

The Road to Redemption

We now need to go a few seconds back in order to complete the incident.

 

When the last grain of sand slid down the hourglass Hyukjae saw the golden beam shoot through the vampire. He had given his all to the battle. He had given all his magical power to the fight. Never before had he felt so exhausted. He would have to rest for days…

 

Hyukjae was about to drop the magical field and collapse onto the ground… when a glimpse of movement caught his eyes. Like wind a black shadow was dashing towards Donghae!

 

His reservoir of magic was drained. Hyukjae gasped and acted reflexively. That’s the only way. There’s no other way…

 

His sword shining a bluish silver flare, Hyukjae leapt forward with the last bit of strength left in him. His body acting on its own, Hyukjae came to stand between Donghae and the black shadow. Needless to think or calculate his bluish silver sword found its way through the black shadow’s heart…

 

……

 

Eyes fixed on those crimson red eyes Hyukjae remembered that vampire’s face. He had seen that face before and he would never forget.

 

And then Hyukjae heard Donghae. … Hyukkie…

 

Behind Hyukjae a voice spoke. “Good job… Jiro…”

 

“Thank you. Princess your Majesty…” With that those crimson red eyes in front of Hyukjae blinked and went dead.

 

Hyukjae smiled. It didn’t matter those claws had ripped open his body. He knew he had finally avenged his father. He killed that vampire. It also didn’t matter if he’s going to die. He died saving Donghae.

 

……

 

Blood burst out and splattered onto the ground.

 

Donghae didn’t know what exactly took place behind him. But the most important part hit him. An unbearable pain was mercilessly squeezing his heart.

 

……

 

You’re the most precious part of me…

 

I will guard you with my life…

 

Donghae…

 

I…

 

Love…

 

You…

 

……

 

The pain squeezed Donghae’s heart. But it was those words which shattered his heart into pieces… Even until today the fragmented pieces remained…

 

As Donghae turned around the other 3 collapsed, Hyukjae into Donghae’s arms and the others onto the ground.

 

Eyes of Hyukjae were originally worried. When they saw Donghae’s face they were relieved. They were smiling. Donghae… it’s… so good… that you… are… fine…

 

Hyukjae couldn’t speak. The internal bleeding was very severe. More blood trickled down the corner of his mouth.

 

“YOU IDIOT!!!! YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Nothing could stop those tears from surging out. When your dearest was dying in your arms… for you… you couldn’t help it right?

 

Golden light flashed. “NO!!!! Hyukkie… This is not happening… Hang in there. This will be over soon.”

 

… Donghae…

 

“I WILL SAVE YOU!!! JUST LIKE LAST TIME. I WILL SAVE YOU HYUKKIE!!!!” Donghae was desperate. Blinding golden light shone and enveloped Hyukjae.

 

… Don’t waste your magic on me Donghae…

 

“SHUT UP!!!” Streams of tears trickled down Donghae’s cheeks. Tears splashed onto the blood stained ground.

 

The brutal truth was… Hyukjae was right. Magic could restore… but not to this extent. What had happened to Hyukjae… was beyond magic’s reach… What Donghae could achieve might be… an extra 5 to 10 minutes for Hyukjae…

 

Donghae held Hyukjae as tightly as he could. He wished he could really hold Hyukjae tight enough. He wished by holding him tight Hyukjae would not leave him. “No… Hyukkie… Don’t leave me… Hyukkie!! HYUKKIE!!!”

 

Corner of Hyukjae’s mouth curled into a smile. I’m sorry Donghae… please don’t cry… We have… finally… revenged our families… Appa… will be… proud…

 

Donghae shook his head. He couldn’t speak anymore. Tears had choked him. Pain had burnt his throat. Hyukkie… What am I supposed to do…?

 

When one was dying, or when one knew he was dying, the fact amazingly gave the person a clear mind. Donghae… You will continue… our mission. Please continue… to fight… vampires… I will… give you… my power… from afar… I will… fight… with you…

 

Donghae saw Hyukjae’s original milky white face turned further white. Hyukjae was fast losing blood. His breathing gradually became shallow. The pulse in him was getting dimmer and dimmer…

 

That was the cruelest possible torture to Donghae. He felt so helpless. He hated himself so much he really wanted to kill himself. Hyukkie… No… Please… I beg you…

 

His vision was getting blurry. Hyukjae stared at Donghae. He looked into those sparkling eyes. To him they were the most beautiful jewels on earth. Sorrow crawled over him. Hyukjae knew he wouldn’t be able to see those eyes anymore…

 

… Donghae…

 

With teary eyes Donghae looked at Hyukjae. Hyukjae knew it would pain the other a lot. But he had to continue. There was really not much time left…

 

… After I die…

 

Stop it!!!As Hyukjae expected Donghae didn’t want to accept or listen.

 

… Please Donghae… I beg you… Listen to me…

 

Donghae didn’t move or speak. Hyukjae continued. Take me home… After I die… take me home… Make a grave for me beside appa’s… OK…? Promise me… please?

 

Donghae just kept staring at Hyukjae, jaw tightened. He couldn’t agree as that would mean he accepted Hyukjae was really going to die. But of course he couldn’t say no either…

 

… And promise me one more thing…

 

… Hyukkie… Stop this please!!! PLEASE!!! This is killing me!!! THIS IS REALLY KILLING ME!!!!

 

… I’m sorry Donghae… I beg you… Promise me you will stay happy… and remember… that… I… love… you…

 

HYUKKIE!!!!

 

Hyukjae’s vision had turned black and white (and the black was gaining ground). He was trying his hardest to keep his eyes open. He was trying his hardest to grip his existence, to stay in this world.

 

His life force was fast draining away… together with his blood. He was feeling cold. He was shivering. Nevertheless in Donghae’s embrace he found the last bit of warmth and comfort.

 

Hyukjae’s mind was clouded. He was extremely weak… And he was losing touch with his existence… with the warmth Donghae was providing him… He was dying…

 

… Donghae…

 

……

 

The warmth returned. The next moment Hyukjae felt Donghae kiss him… fully on the lips. Hyukjae felt Donghae’s lips pressing against his. He frowned. He was probably imagining things.

 

The kiss tasted bitter.

 

Something was sliding down his tongue… rolling down his throat… That something was sticky… and it tasted bitter…

 

……

 

Hyukjae gasped and his eyes opened wide as he realized what Donghae was doing. He panicked and that gave him strength. He wanted to speak but his voice was muffled by the kiss.

 

“… D… Dong…hae… N... NO…!!!”

 

Hyukjae struggled. He wanted to push Donghae away. However Donghae was gripping him really really tight. Donghae’s voice was muffled as well.

 

“H… Hyuk… kie… No… Y… You can’t… l… leave me… Hyuk…kie…”

 

His fingers digging into Donghae’s arms, Hyukjae kept struggling. His legs were kicking the ground like crazy, stirring up a lot of dust. The harder he struggled, the tighter Donghae locked him.

 

Tears rolled down Hyukjae’s eyes. No… I don’t want this… Donghae… Don’t do this to me… No… Don’t!!!

 

This is the only way to save you Hyukkie… Forgive me… Don’t move…Donghae’s tears mingled with those from Hyukjae.

 

Donghae was locking him so tight Hyukjae could feel the pain… on his body as well as in his soul… knowing what was going to happen…

 

More tears rolled down Hyukjae’s eyes… when the last drop of vampire blood rolled down his throat… Donghae didn’t end the kiss. He had to make sure Hyukjae swallowed the last drop of vampire blood.

 

……

 

The transformation was done.

 

When the shocking and cruel truth was realized, for some time Hyukjae couldn’t move. It felt like his heart had stopped. He knew he had become a vampire…

 

His whole body was cold. But he shivered no more. The pain from the cuts was as well no more. He was no longer weak. Strength had returned to him… together with anger.

 

Hyukjae roughly shoved Donghae away. He sat up and glared at the other. Rage had possessed him his whole body was trembling. Never before had he been so angry with somebody. And he had never imagined that somebody would be Donghae.

 

Donghae looked at Hyukjae with widened eyes. Now what he just did was slowly sinking into him…

 

Hyukjae gritted his teeth. He was trying his hardest not to fist Donghae. He was finding it hard to speak with his clenched jaw. “How… dare… you…?!”

 

Donghae was shuddering. The fear those eyes of Hyukjae gave him was even worse. It was horrible when he thought Hyukjae was leaving him. But now that Hyukjae hated him, now that Hyukjae wanted to burn him into charring flesh with that fuming glare… that’s even worse.

 

“HOW DARE YOU TURN ME INTO ONE OF THEM?!!!!!!!!” Hyukjae bellowed. Tears flooded their eyes, both Donghae’s and Hyukjae’s.

 

……

 

Abruptly Hyukjae stood up. He looked down at Donghae.

 

“… Hyukkie…” Donghae whispered.

 

……

 

Hyukjae closed his eyes. The pain those deep cuts previously gave him was nothing compared to what he was feeling now. The sorrow he was previously experiencing was way better than the anguish suffocating him now. Now that he’s become a creature of darkness. Now that he was rendered the same as those who killed his family. Now that Donghae felt like a stranger to him… Now that he really really had to separate with Donghae…

 

Slowly, clearly and firmly he said. “My name is Eunhyuk. Hyukjae doesn’t exist anymore.” He knew deep down inside, beneath the anger, he still loved Donghae. But he could no longer love Donghae the way Hyukjae did. And he knew Donghae still loved him. Nevertheless going forward he as well couldn’t accept Donghae’s love like Hyukjae did. Things had changed. Things were no longer the same. They had come to a forked road and would have to take separate paths. What’s between them would no longer be the same.

 

The power of darkness, in the form of vampire blood, found its way between them. Darkness stopped the flow of love. Darkness tore them apart. It engulfed them and brought them endless tortures. It turned beautiful, sweet memories into haunting, distressful curses…

 

Desperate to save Hyukjae, to keep Hyukjae by his side, Donghae accomplished the exact opposite. He pushed Hyukjae into eternal darkness. He dug a trench and sent Hyukjae to the other side.

 

Drawing in a deep breath Eunhyuk turned to leave. “Donghae… It’s over. What’s between us… is over.”

 

……

 

That’s the verdict. It was both a life and death sentence for Donghae. In the remaining years of his life there’d be no Hyukjae. And without Hyukjae, Donghae was very much dead.

 

“EUNHYUK!!!!!” Donghae’s desperate cry, mingled with pain and sorrow and bitterness, echoed in the whole village.

 

The sun was setting. It clothed Eunhyuk with a layer of pale golden lining, trying to give him comfort and warmth but to no avail.

 

As Donghae watched Eunhyuk leave the deepest and heaviest regret was washing over him. The bitter taste was still lingering in his mouth. It’s going to stay… for long… very very long…

 

……

 

This was it. This was how it happened.

 

In the guest room, all of them lost the ability to move, to speak, to breathe, to blink. Siwon, Henry, Mina and Nina looked at Donghae with eyes widened with shock and disbelief…

 

The very cause of why Hyukjae became a vampire… was… no other but… Donghae.

 

 

------------------------------

A/N: Warning - a lot of angst. Sorry I think I'm probably giving the warning too late. I'm not cold hearted. I cried when I wrote this chapter. And I was very much immersed in angst even when I proof read. ?_?

A/N2: You see the background pic? It's Eunhyuk!!! It really is Eunhyuk!!! Good that I found him finally!! ^^