Donghae vs Darkness

The Road to Redemption

Who’s Shesh?

 

Have you forgotten? Really?

 

A fallen angel. A dweller in eternal darkness. Someone who had time as much as eternity with nothing to do.

 

Because of his death kiss Rosie slaughtered her most dear; and a lot more.

 

If it’s not because of him the word “vampire” would not exist.

 

If it’s not because of him their parents would not have died. Donghae and Hyukjae would be living happily in the village; growing up like other normal kids. Together.

 

If it’s not because of him they would not have left their homes to pursue the vampire hunter career. Instead Donghae and Hyukjae would be travelling around the world; enjoying new and exciting adventures. Together.

 

If it’s not because of him that bitter moment would not have claimed a place in history. Donghae would always have Hyukjae. Donghae would not have turned Hyukjae into Eunhyuk. Sunset would continue to be beautiful.

 

If it’s not because of him the 2 of them would not be confronting each other on a battle field. They would not be trapped or torturing each other in the same prison.

 

If it’s not because of him there would not be the road to redemption. Eunhyuk did not have to kill himself. Donghae did not have to weep blood.

 

If it’s not because of him you would not be reading this. Have you forgotten who Shesh was? Really?

 

The devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

 

And tonight he found Donghae.

 

Though he had very much become blind (with no more beauty on earth worth seeing), deaf (with no more melodious voice on earth worth hearing) and dead at heart (with no more emotion on earth worth feeling), Donghae knew immediately who that was behind him.

 

Logically thinking, who else would have travelled to this part of the world? This time of the day? And who else would have asked that question?

 

On the other hand, Shesh didn’t bother to hide his identity. He found pleasure when he could control. He enjoyed the triumphant feeling when one could do nothing but to obey; even though one knew he was the extreme evil.

 

Donghae would have to obey. Shesh held that card in his hands. Well at least Shesh could make Donghae believe that he had.

 

Slowly Donghae staggered up and turned around. Every cell in his body protested in pain. His eyes saw only darkness. But he could clearly feel another being there. He could feel the eternal darkness, radiating chill. He could feel the thinkness in air, the awful feeling choking and engulfing him.

 

He sensed evil flash in those eyes. He sensed deathly smirk at the corner of that mouth.

 

Nevertheless one thing Donghae didn’t feel.

 

Fear. Donghae felt no fear.

 

Odd it might seem. However why should he? What should he fear? Donghae had nothing more to lose. His heart was dead… deadly calm.

 

Calmly Donghae confronted darkness.

 

Love knows no fear.

 

“Follow me.” The darkness spoke.

 

The next second Donghae began his stride. He couldn’t see anything. Yet he had no hesitation in his steps. He didn’t know where he was going. Yet he was certain he’s heading the “right” way.

 

……

 

Though Eunhyuk had never submitted to him; and Eunhyuk had never turned anyone into a vampire, Eunhyuk was Shesh’s favourite. The reasons? Eunhyuk was powerful. More to that Eunhyuk brought him a lot of fun.

 

And now Shesh liked Eunhyuk even more. Eunhyuk brought him Donghae.

 

Come to think of it. What did the devil want actually?

 

He kept a huge collection of souls in the tower and in eternal darkness already. It was starting to get boring. Adding a few more souls would not help.

 

Having more powerful vampires would. Like Eunhyuk Donghae would be just as powerful. Those annoying hunters could all go to hell. With such vampires Shesh could reign the world. Everyone, dead or alive, on earth or in hell, would bow down to him. They would tremble in front of him. The whole world would serve him. Shesh would be sitting on the throne, surrounded by triumph and glory and supreme authority.

 

Shesh couldn’t help his smirk by just thinking about it.

 

Last time Eunhyuk didn’t manage to turn Donghae into a vampire. Damn! That Eunhyuk! The Eunhyuk Shesh hadn’t managed to completely control so far… Let’s just forget about him. This time Shesh himself would claim Donghae. Credit to Eunhyuk though!

 

……

 

The darkness stopped.

 

A black curtain was pulled up. There stood a vampire. Eunhyuk. Standing right in front of Donghae, Eunhyuk’s head was lowered. Strands of hair covered his forehead and rippled in the wind. Lifeless limps were dangling from his marble white body. Eunhyuk was glowing white. The sword, held in his right hand, was gleaming red.

 

Hyukkie!!

 

Slowly Eunhyuk raised his head. His eyes met Donghae’s. Donghae felt pain and horror at the same time. Those crimson red eyes were shining bright… yet they held no life. They didn’t recognize Donghae.

 

When Donghae reached out to Eunhyuk’s mind… there was nothing…

 

The darkness spoke. “Beautiful isn’t he? I wanted to make him my masterpiece. Yet he chose to waste his chance. Let’s be fair. I will be direct and straight-forward. To redeem him you need to pay the exact same price. A soul for a soul. As simple as that.”

 

Red light flashed. Eunhyuk raised his sword and darted forward. A red beam was fired at Donghae’s heart. Donghae dodged to one side. Hyukkie!!

 

There was no time for Donghae to breathe. The red beam surrounded Donghae. Eunhyuk’s motion was as fluid as water, as graceful as dancing, as swift as wind, as breath-taking as lightning. It felt like there was not just one, but countless red beams floating around. They were caging Donghae.

 

Inside the cage golden light shone. Sparks and clanks were everywhere when the 2 colors clashed.

 

“What are you doing Donghae? I have laid everything down on the table. Things are simple and plain. A soul for a soul.”

 

Eyes widened Donghae looked into Eunhyuk’s eyes… Hyukkie…

 

“You have 3 options. Option 1. Say yes. Give me your soul and I will release his. Option 2. Kill him and you are free to go. Option 3. Let him kill you. Let death end everything.”

 

The red beam shone more intensely. Burning red flare cast into Donghae's eyes. It left a red mark on Donghae’s face. Droplet by droplet blood oozed from the red line.

 

……

 

Another red line…

 

Another red line…

 

And another…

 

And another…

 

……

 

What’s your say? Option 1, 2 or 3?

 

Before you make your call. Let me tell you the truth. There was no option.

 

Right at the instant when Donghae said yes, verbally or mentally, the devil would have his soul. Don’t be naïve. Don’t trust the evil. He would continue to imprison Eunhyuk’s soul. End of story.

 

To kill Eunhyuk? Do you think Donghae would do that? After all they had been through? I would not bet on that. Neither would the devil.

 

To have himself killed? Yes Donghae might do that. But that was not an option. That’s not what the devil wanted. The devil wouldn’t allow Eunhyuk to.

 

There was no option but the first one. Shesh would have both their souls… Darkness would triumph… End of story…

 

Must things end like this?

 

With glistening eyes Donghae looked at Eunhyuk. He reached into Eunhyuk’s mind… Hyukkie… Hyukkie!!!

 

There was nothing…

 

In Donghae’s head, Eunhyuk’s last words were singing the most charming melody. It was painfully beautiful… heart-breakingly beautiful…

 

With your love, Donghae, I would not fear.

As long as you’re happy, I would be fine.

No matter how unbearable the agonies would be for me, the knowledge that you are fine would be my salvation.

Even until eternity I would be burnt in hell, I would smile recalling your love…

 

Donghae gasped. At that moment he realized…

 

He knew it then. Realization sparkled in his eyes.

 

Donghae made his choice…

 

 

-----------------------------------

A/N: Sorry for the late update... I guess I'm being punished... for creating too much angst... I fell sick again... Should I continue?

A/N2: But no matter what, I'm happy to release a chapter!! ^^ Enjoy!!!

A/N3: And more to that. I'm more than happy to witness the 6th anniversary of Super Junior!!! All my best wishes to them!!! ^____^