The Turning Point

The Road to Redemption

A magic user like Hyukjae was rarely seen. The magic in him was so strong. The reservoir of magical power within was so vast that magical current just leaked out when he made the slightest attempt to use magic; even without him noticing (remember the incident after the magic show). At that time he was still too young. His body couldn’t stand the magical current flow of such magnitude. Later on when he acquired the ability to control and master his magic Hyukjae proved to be powerful.

 

What came together with such magic ability was his sharpened sense towards tiny changes in the surroundings; be it the energy field, atmosphere, density of air or whispers of the wind.

 

Those were the amazing gifts from God.

 

Just as amazing was Hyukjae’s magic towards Donghae. Hyukjae himself had never realized. In his presence he was constantly casting a spell on the other. His charm was silently working its magic when Hyukjae simply came into being.

 

At that time they were like 10 years old. On the grassland they sat side by side. While Hyukjae was enchanted by the sunset, Donghae was enchanted by Hyukjae.

 

“Hyukkie ar…” Slowly, powerless to resist, Donghae leaned towards Hyukjae and brushed his nose against the other’s cheek.

 

“Um…?” The way it sounded was like a magical spell.

 

“What will you do when you grow up?” Donghae wrapped his arms around Hyukjae and rested his chin on Hyukjae’s shoulder.

 

Hyukjae tilted his head, thinking. “Most probably helping appa’s farm business. Selling strawberries to all over the world.”

 

Donghae looked up at the sky. “I very much want to travel around the world…”

 

……

 

Without warning, sorrow slowly oozed from the bottom of Hyukjae’s heart. As it flowed it left behind unbearable emptiness. The emptiness was like a blade peeling his inside. It’s the first time such thought ever hit Hyukjae; that one day Donghae wouldn’t be by his side. It felt so wrong. It hurt so much. All of a sudden he felt so incomplete.

 

……

 

The stream of sorrow trickled down the corner of his eye. Quickly Hyukjae wiped it away with the back of his hand. He thought he could hide it from Donghae.

 

Donghae took Hyukjae’s hand. “Hyukkie don’t cry. No that will not happen. I will never leave you…” Tenderly Donghae kissed Hyukjae’s tears away.

 

Sniffing Hyukjae whispered. “Donghae… I don’t want you to give up your dream… because of me…”

 

Donghae took both Hyukjae’s hands and gave him a reassuring smile. “You’re my world and my dream Hyukkie. Either I go with you, or I don’t go. No matter what we stay together. Don’t cry OK? Smile for me please?”

 

Hyukjae looked into those eyes of Donghae. He saw love. He saw sincerity. He felt warmth. He felt security. He smiled.

 

That kicked off the magic.

 

Lifting his hands Donghae gently caressed Hyukjae’s face. Softly he Hyukjae’s hair. Leaning in, closing his eyes, tenderly Donghae pressed his lips onto Hyukjae’s cheek. “Hyukkie you’re beautiful…”

 

As if echoing the sunset Hyukjae’s cheeks reddened. “Donghae… Stop teasing me…” He looked down. When he timidly smiled corner of his mouth crooked to form the most charming curve. That possessed magical power; like he was casting a spell.

 

The spell stirred up thrills within Donghae. He grinned as he whispered into Hyukjae’s ear. “Tell me. How does it feel when I kiss you?”

 

Hyukjae’s heart skipped a beat. He lowered his head. He felt his cheeks burning. “… H… How… am I supposed… to… to tell you…?”

 

Let me feel it then.Suddenly Donghae grabbed Hyukjae and pulled him in. Lovingly again Donghae pressed his lips onto Hyukjae’s cheek. At the same time his mind reached out to Hyukjae’s…

 

Magic worked in the other direction as well. Before he could notice or resist Hyukjae was captured by the spell of Donghae.

 

A little trembling after the sudden move…

 

Pulse racing…

 

Paralyzing electricity…

 

Breathing became difficult as thrills circulated inside…

 

Sense of sweetness drenching the heart…

 

Butterflies in the stomach…

 

Desires and yearning…

 

“You – like – it!!” Grinning widely Donghae pushed Hyukjae onto the ground.

 

Donghae! Stop!!

 

You like it! You like it!! You cannot fool me!!

 

No Donghae!! Seriously!! Stop!!

 

Bewildered, abruptly Donghae halted. He could feel sweetness fast drain away from Hyukjae’s mind; taken over by something else. Donghae remained still. His eyes widened with concern. Sorry Hyukkie… I didn’t mean to upset…

 

Instead Hyukjae hushed Donghae. Slowly Hyukjae stood up and walked over to where he could oversee their village.

 

Buzzing sound was echoing loudly inside Hyukjae’s head. He sensed chills floating about. It’s odd. There’s no wind. There were just chills hanging in the air. And it shouldn’t be like that this time of the year. The chills were prickling his arms. Some weights were hovering over him…

 

“Something’s wrong…” Hyukjae turned and looked at Donghae.

 

“What is it?” Donghae asked. Now Donghae could feel the change in the atmosphere as well.

 

Hyukjae shook his head. “I don’t know. Let’s go back.”

 

They walked through the cave. The heaviness in the air became thicker and thicker with every step they took. Even when they stepped out of the cave, the feeling of relief which should naturally follow wasn’t there. The air was so thick…

 

Labored breathing…

 

Heart pounding…

 

They quickened their pace.

 

……

 

Far away someone was there. A tiny dot of shadow could be seen on the bare land.

 

Hyukjae halted. He gripped Donghae’s hand tightly, pulling the other to a stop. Donghae felt Hyukjae tremble. And Hyukjae was sweating. “What’s wrong Hyukkie?” Donghae turned his head to look at Hyukjae.

 

The next instant Hyukjae gasped with widened eyes. Donghae quickly turned to see what was scaring Hyukjae…

 

Like wind that someone, who a moment ago was still a tiny dot far away, was standing right in front of them. That someone was looking down at them. The chill was gripping the 2 of them tightly. They couldn’t help shivering.

 

“D-e-s-s-e-r-t-s…” The crimson red eyes sparkled. A creepy smirk was formed when that someone hissed.

 

……

 

“Jiro hurry! Enough for today. More desserts are waiting in the next village.” A voiced called out. Though each word could be clearly heard, one could tell the voice was from afar. Owner of the voice was fast flying away.

 

That someone narrowed his crimson red eyes, staring at them. Moments later he raised an eyebrow. “Consider yourselves lucky!” In the blink of an eye he vanished.

 

They were frozen at the spot for no idea how long. Their heartbeat refused to slow down. They were sweating despite the chill. That awful feeling in their stomachs made their mouths dry. They had no idea who (or what) that was; or what was going on.

 

But one thing was certain.

 

Something was definitely very wrong.

 

They broke into a run.

 

……

 

As they entered their village everything looked normal.

 

Really?

 

Extending their senses they could feel it. Or I should say they couldn’t feel it. That’s why it’s heart-stopping.

 

It was quiet. Silence had the village surrounded.

 

It was calm. Everything remained still. The village was frozen.

 

It was dark. Light had been removed from the whole place.

 

Where were all the people? The laughter in the houses? The quarrels in the taverns? The giggles among girls? The jokes among boys? The bargaining in the shops? Where were all those?

 

All they could feel was the chill.

 

They reached their houses. Still there was no light. The doors were open.

 

Hyukjae found his father in the field, his mother in the garden and his sister in her room.

 

Donghae found his father in their shop, his mother in the kitchen and his brother in the storage room.

 

It’s like they had been transformed into marble sculptures. Blood was drained from their bodies. Vampires…

 

Eyes widened, they were frozen in time. Just the previous instant they were still flesh and blood. And then right at that very instant everything was no more for them.

 

They would not see the sun rise the next morning. They would not hear the birds sing the next day. They would not smell the scent the next time the flowers blossomed. They would not taste the fruits of the next harvest. They would not feel the heat of the next summer… the cold of the next winter…

 

What was going to happen in this world had nothing to do with them anymore…

 

Hyukjae cried.

 

Donghae cried.

 

There’s nothing better to do.

 

That night, their cries were the only sound in the village. They were the only in the village.

 

……

 

With puffy eyes the 2 of them witnessed the sunrise the next day. They had cried the last drop of tear out. There’s no more tear to shed.

 

It’s time to bury the dead…

 

For a long time they were kneeling in front of the graves, staring at the gravestones.

 

So… what’s next?

 

Just the day before they had talked about what they wanted to do when they grew up. It looked like they had to deal with it before they actually grew up. Or they had grown up in one night.

 

……

 

“Donghae…”

 

“Yes Hyukkie… I will go with you…” Donghae knew it already. It’s not even necessary for Donghae to listen to Hyukjae’s thought. He knew his dearest enough.

 

Hand in hand they walked. Just when they were about to step out of the front gate they halted. Something was calling them… from Donghae’s house. Something was giving out light.

 

So far I haven’t told you what Donghae’s family did. They were swordsmiths.

 

They entered the storage room. The sword of Yang was radiating a flare of gold. The sword of Yin was beaming a glow of bluish silver. Those were the family treasures. And they were calling for their masters.

 

Swords were normally too heavy for them as they were still too young. Donghae’s father had never allowed them to go anywhere near any swords. But now when they clasped the hilts in their hands the swords just fit.

 

Their journey began. Silently, fingers interlocked, with determination in each stride they walked.

 

Appa… we will avenge you. We will kill all vampires! Wait for us appa. Triumphantly we will return, with dignity, with victory! Appa we will make you proud!

 

When they reached the vampire hunter’s guild of the nearest city the people there originally didn’t want to accept them. Come on they’re only 10 years old!!

 

“This is our destiny! We have nowhere else to go!!” Donghae pressed firmly.

 

Hyukjae remained silent. But the determination darting out from his eyes were even more pressing.

 

……

 

Hyukjae was standing by a window. From there he could oversee the city. It’s a foreign land. Everything was alien. Everyone was a stranger. Even the sky looked different here. Things were just out of place. His world had been turned upside down. Tomorrow was no longer certain. All feelings of comfort, security and peace were gone. He didn’t feel belonged here but he knew he’s going to stay.

 

Donghae came to stand beside him. Gently Donghae put his arm around Hyukjae’s shoulder.

 

Comfort… warmth… security… love… were brought back just by a simple touch from Donghae. How’s that possible?

 

Because Donghae touched his heart. Donghae’s the one and only one on earth who’s capable of that.

 

Hyukjae wept. Timidly he buried his face in Donghae’s shoulder. Softly he wrapped his arms around Donghae’s waist. Sincerely he whispered beside Donghae’s ear. “At least I still have you Donghae…”

 

 

------------------------------

A/N: When I was half way done I was thinking... um... maybe I should cut it in half again. But my friend today kinda complained that the last chapter was too short?! Oh it's actually v long!!! >_< OK then I decided to finish this whole chapter. Guys pls don't complain. It won't work!!! hahahahaha~~~

A/N2: Romania was great!! It was a big big positive surprise!!! I was in the Dracula castle~~~~ YAYAYAYAYAYAYA~~~~