The Journey (Part 2)

The Road to Redemption

They were definitely travelling in the right direction. Eunhyuk was certain. The anguish inside him was their compass. With every step he took hand of the devil was heavier upon him. He became even more quiet. Eunhyuk had to concentrate to fight the power of darkness suffocating him. He didn’t know how much time he still had.

 

Under the moonlight they lay side by side. Their faces reflected the silver glow showered onto them. It was quiet. It was very quiet.

 

Slowly Eunhyuk sat up and looked at Donghae. He wondered how much more mercy heaven still had for them. He wondered how many more times he could still see that face, those sparkling eyes…

 

“Promise me one thing. Promise me you will kill me before I can kill you.” Meeting Donghae’s eyes Eunhyuk spoke clearly.

 

“Stop talking nonsense!” Donghae sat up. He glared at Eunhyuk.

 

“I’m serious. I’m begging you…” He looked away before continuing, his voice something more than a whisper. “… You know… how much you mean to me… right?”

 

……

 

The last words reverberated in Donghae’s head.

 

You know… how much you mean to me… right?

You know… how much you mean to me… right?

……

 

They left Donghae tongue-tied, stunned. It’s not that he didn’t know. It’s more like Donghae had forgotten. Eunhyuk, or Hyukjae, was his dearest, his most precious, his life, his everything. He would fight until the very end. He would do anything. He would die for his love. No doubt.

 

Hyukjae loved Donghae just as much.

 

Hyukjae died for Donghae.

 

You’re the most precious part of me.

I will guard you with my life.

Donghae… I love you…

 

And Eunhyuk loved Donghae just as much.

 

Eunhyuk would die for Donghae as well.

 

I’m serious.

I’m begging you.

You know… how much you mean to me… right?

 

Even until now, until this very second, after all which had taken place, Eunhyuk loved Donghae just as much.

 

Since that moment, it had never come to Donghae that he’s still loved. He was so sure he’s not worth it. He didn’t allow himself such thoughts. He was reminded each and every second by the guilt; that he’s not worth to be loved. Eunhyuk had every right to hate him, to curse him, even to kill him.

 

And Eunhyuk was telling him…

 

You know… how much you mean to me… right?

 

It’s something Donghae had long forgotten.

 

……

 

That triggered more sorrow within. It was strange but that was happening. Recalling how much he was loved… brought along sorrow.

 

It’s not fair. It’s so unfair! Both of them so dearly loved each other. Yet they were deprived the possibility to love; and to be loved. They even had to fight… to be the one taking on the sufferings for the other. Was that a selfish act? As they knew the guilt of being saved, of seeing the other suffer would be even more torturing?

 

“… Hyukkie…” Donghae whispered. His stare turned soft. Tears were gradually softening the image in front of him.

 

Slowly Donghae extended his hand to touch Eunhyuk’s face. “Hyukkie… Why…?”

 

Lovingly Donghae caressed Eunhyuk’s face. Tears escaped his eyes. “Why… must… things… be like… this…?

 

Gently Eunhyuk took Donghae’s hand. He reached out his other hand to brush away Donghae’s tears. Donghae continued with shaky whisper. “Why… can’t things… stay… the same… like… they were… in… the past…?”

 

Tears blurred the image of Donghae in front of him. “Donghae… I wish…”

 

……

 

They looked into each other’s eyes… into each other’s heart… into each other’s soul…

 

Closer and closer they got and finally buried themselves in each other’s arms. They clung desperately to each other. Trembling vigorously, both of them were like broken and torn to pieces; yet at the same time both of them were the most comforting refuge for the other.

 

Emotions suppressed for years finally burst out. The pain, the bitterness, the sorrow, the frustration, the despair, the dread… Those were like everlasting fuels to a fire. The fire was burning their insides, charring their bones. No matter how many tears they shed, it’s not sufficient to quench the fire.

 

Seconds… Minutes… Quarters… Hours… The whole evening…

 

That night they cried for no idea how long. The moon dimmed for them. The clouds wept, the wind mourned with them. The sun, not willing to disturb them, didn’t come out.

 

Exhausted Eunhyuk and Donghae rested in each other’s embrace. It was like they were back in the old days. They snuggled close to each other, sweetly holding hands. They were inseparable.

 

Time froze for them. No. Quiet please. Please just leave them in peace. Please let their sweet dream go on… Please do not wake them up…

 

……

 

Hoila, the south most city in the continent at that time. It’s exactly this geographical location that earned the city its fame. It was considered the end of the world. There was a line of stones immediately outside its southern gate. Nobody had ever explored anywhere further south. No one had ever crossed that line. And the gate was always closed.

 

Upon entering the city Eunhyuk abruptly halted. He was overwhelmed by shrieking laughs in his head, flashes of images in his mind, twinge of anguish in his heart, currents of dread in his veins. An invisible hand was squeezing him. He could hardly breathe.

 

He knew it. They were near. His doom was right around the corner.

 

Sensing Eunhyuk halt Donghae regarded the other with concern. Eunhyuk had his eyes closed. His brows had knitted together. He was shivering, his teeth chattering.

 

“Hyukkie!” Donghae took Eunhyuk’s shaking hand and wound his arm around the other.

 

A number of onlookers, including some vampire hunters, threw them suspicious stares. Alerted Donghae spread his senses. He could feel Eunhyuk’s presence… but it was nevertheless still very dim.

 

……

 

Fortunately the presence was dim enough. No one bothered them.

 

After quite some time Eunhyuk calmed down a bit. He whispered. “Thank you… I’m… OK… now…”

 

Donghae knew it as well. He heard the same. He saw the same. He felt the same. And he worried even more. No… NO!!! It couldn’t just end like this. They didn’t come all this way just to get defeated. He didn’t come all this way just to see the end of Eunhyuk!!

 

Donghae held Eunhyuk tightly in his arms. The 2 of them slowly moved forward.

 

Eunhyuk didn’t know where they were going. He could only count on Donghae. He could only let the other drag him forward. During the whole time he himself was fighting his battle.

 

Eunhyuk had to squeeze his eyes shut. Everyone he saw would be inviting him to rip them open. An image of that person shuddering, begging and dying would flicker in his mind. Eunhyuk had to hold his breath. The scent of human blood was so thick in the air. It’s tempting him in every possible means. If possible Eunhyuk would like to shut his ears as well. The devil was constantly whispering to him…

 

It’s hopeless you fool. There’s no way you can conquer darkness. You belong to me. Face it! You enjoyed it last time! Thrills were flowing inside you last time you killed...

 

NO!! Eunhyuk screamed with all his might in his head.

 

Yes you did. Don’t you remember that little girl? It flashed in your mind that you wanted her blood… so sweet… so warm… smelling so nice…

 

STOP!!!!!!!!!!! Eunhyuk shuddered.

 

Her pleas would have sounded lovely… You had that desire!!! Admit it! Deep inside you evil desires are there! You belong to darkness!!!!

 

SHUT UP!!!! YOU SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Tears rolled down Eunhyuk’s eyes.

 

The devil was really enjoying this. Again Eunhyuk heard those familiar heart piercing laughs. He felt that he was being pierced apart. Hand of the devil was squeezing his heart, twisting his veins, grinding his soul, crushing his bones. His whole body was crying out in pain. His whole being was in extreme agony…

 

Eunhyuk was close to begging. Nevertheless he would not give in. He wouldn’t give the devil that satisfaction. Eunhyuk refused to utter a word. He didn’t allow himself the slightest whimper.

 

That only earned him more tortures.

 

Shrieking laughs shook his whole world.

 

……

 

Hyukkie?

 

While those deafening laughs were still banging his head, Eunhyuk heard that melodious voice. It was the lighthouse in the middle of a dark, angry sea. It was the oasis in the middle of a vast, furious sandstorm. It’s Donghae.

 

Donghae!!!

 

Hyukkie! I’m here!!

 

DONGHAE!!!

 

I’M RIGHT HERE HYUKKIE!!!

 

Strong arms wrapped around him. Eunhyuk let himself collapse into those arms, into that embrace so familiar. It’s like he was home. It’s like he was lost before and finally got home. It’s a shelter providing him comfort and warmth; when rain was pouring and wind was blowing outside. It’s Donghae.

 

Weakly Eunhyuk opened his eyes and met those sparkling jewels, looking down at him.

 

“… Donghae…” Eunhyuk buried his face in Donghae’s chest.

 

Tenderly Donghae Eunhyuk’s hair. “Hyukkie… I’m here… I’d always be by your side…”

 

More desperately Eunhyuk held Donghae. He was shaking helplessly, sobbing. “… D… Donghae… I’m… so… scared… I’m… very … scared…”

 

Slowly Donghae laid Eunhyuk down on the bed. They were in a guest room of an inn. Donghae knew they couldn’t stay on the streets or anywhere outside. That would be very difficult for Eunhyuk. They would stay here. When the night came and there’s nobody on the street the 2 of them would sneak out via the southern gate and continue their journey.

 

“Hyukkie… it’s going to be alright. We will find the way…” Donghae bit his lip. Seeing Eunhyuk suffer pained him. Eunhyuk had to suffer all these because of him. And he couldn’t do anything to ease Eunhyuk’s pain. Donghae hated himself so much…

 

Donghae stayed by Eunhyuk’s side… until Eunhyuk calmed down… until Eunhyuk closed his eyes… until sleep overtook Eunhyuk…

 

……

 

Silver moonlight cast into the guest room through the window, poking his eyelids.

 

Donghae cursed. He shouldn’t be sleeping now. He should be watching over Eunhyuk.

 

Within the silver light was another color.

 

Gasping Donghae’s eyes flickered open. He saw Eunhyuk looking down at him… with crimson red eyes…

 

Not very far away, staring into the jar, the devil smirked. Donghae… make the call…

 

Instinctively Donghae grasped the hilt of his sword. He was only given one split second to make the call.

 

Promise me you will kill me before I can kill you.

 

Looking into those crimson red eyes right in front of his now, Donghae’s grip on the sword loosened.

 

Hyukkie… I can’t… I love you…

 

 

-------------------------

A/N: Oh it's getting cold in Germany now!! Maybe bcoz of that I'm chilled to my bones here?

A/N2: But really I feel so warm reading all your comments! Thx for caring abt me! And really all of you are so sweet and encouraging!!! Honestly those helped me A LOT!!! ^____^