The Secret and The Dilemma

The Road to Redemption

Knocks at the door.

 

That dragged Donghae out of his bitter sweet trance. He turned his head and saw Siwon looking at him with a questioning look. Since he had no idea who would be paying a visit he shrugged and shook his head.

 

Quickly Donghae got himself ready for the visitor, whoever that would be.

 

Siwon opened the door.

 

Mina, Nina and Henry were standing outside. “Oh it’s you. Come in”. Siwon smiled and stepped aside; gesturing for them to enter.

 

All 5 of them settled themselves in the little living room of the guest room. Silence descended upon the place.

 

……

 

Mina regarded Donghae for some time. “Donghae oppa, are you feeling better?”

 

Donghae nodded. “Don’t worry”.

 

Mina tightened her jaw. “Sorry but I can’t help worrying.” She spoke clearly and firmly. And there was a tension in her tone.

 

Both Donghae and Siwon looked up, shifted their eyes to look at Mina.

 

Siwon didn’t expect that Mina would ask that question right away; the question which had been lingering in his head since day 1.

 

“Who is Eunhyuk to you Donghae oppa?” Mina asked grimly.

 

And that caught Donghae off-guard as well.

 

……

 

While Donghae didn’t answer for some time Mina added. “Oppa you spared him. Twice. Time is running out. The day when he will lose control is approaching. We all cannot bear the consequences of letting such a powerful vampire on the loose. When Eunhyuk is completely claimed by darkness and starts killing the innocents…”

 

“STOP!!!!” Donghae yelled; his fists clenched.

 

Mina didn’t flinch. Calmly she looked straight into Donghae’s eyes and finished her sentence. “It will be too late. We have to finish him before that.”

 

……

 

The pain inside Donghae was fast spreading, twisting his veins, squeezing his heart, choking his breath. It’s threatening to explode. He fought against it with all his might. It took everything in him to remain composed.

 

Siwon wanted to say something to help his hyung; and to calm the situation. But before he could utter a word, to everyone’s surprise, Henry spoke.

 

“Noona. Who Nina is to you; then who Eunhyuk is to Donghae hyung.”

 

Alerted and startled, Donghae widened his eyes and looked at Henry.

 

Henry smiled an encouraging smile. He nodded in understanding. Donghae didn’t see this coming. He liked Henry but he didn’t expect that Henry, someone he just met, would be the first one after such a long time to understand and touch him.

 

Henry continued looking at Donghae. A line of sorrow crossed Henry’s eyes. “Donghae hyung… He’s Lee Hyukjae… right…? Lee Eunhyuk... is Lee Hyukjae.”

 

While tears finally came out and trickled down Donghae’s eyes, the other 3 gasped. They all knew this name. They all knew Lee Hyukjae.

 

Why?

 

Remember when I told you about the platinum medallion; I said the whole world knew the holders’ names.

 

Lee Hyukjae –

 

The –

 

Only –

 

Other –

 

Platinum –

 

Vampire –

 

Hunter –

 

Ever –

 

Existed.

 

Lee Hyukjae – the only other platinum vampire hunter ever existed.

 

Henry stood up and walked over to Donghae. He patted Donghae’s shoulder and revealed to him the platinum medallion he held in his hand. “I picked this up from where the fight took place. He must have dropped it.”

 

Donghae grasped the medallion tightly in his trembling hands. Teardrops splattered onto it. Lovingly Donghae caressed the medallion, which was radiating a pure glow. On it was the most beautiful name engraved – Lee Hyukjae.

 

“T… Thank you…” was all Donghae could manage.

 

Donghae and Hyukjae used to fight vampires together. They were considered the most talented and perfect vampire hunters partners. At one point fate took Hyukjae away (I will tell you later). It was believed, among the general public as well as among the vampire hunter guilds, that Hyukjae was dead. One time the 2 of them went on a mission. Only Donghae came back. Since Donghae refused to say a word as to what happened, people, knowing how much Hyukjae weighted in Donghae’s heart, asked no more.

 

Siwon had never met Hyukjae in person. But to him Hyukjae was always somebody to look up to. Since Hyukjae’s gone Donghae didn’t partner with anyone for a long time. When one day Siwon was given the chance to partner with Donghae, he swore to himself that he would strive as hard as possible, to come as close as possible to Hyukjae’s standard. He was prepared to follow Hyukjae’s footprints; to sacrifice his life at any moment for protecting others from vampires.

 

When Siwon now looked at Donghae he couldn’t say a word. He should have figured this out earlier right? It’s obvious. Honestly deep deep down inside Siwon used to hate Eunhyuk (sometimes maybe even Donghae). He didn’t like this point of weakness in Donghae. He’s very much bothered by the fact that a vampire possessed a power over his hyung. Eunhyuk was a vampire. “Hyukjae hyung would not tolerate this” he always thought. It had never come to him that they actually were the same person… Now… what could he say?

 

Sometimes things or feelings are best expressed without a single word. Slowly Siwon approached and hugged Donghae. He sobbed with him. Hyung… I’m sorry…

 

Mina and Nina looked at each other. What would they do? If one day the other got converted to a vampire, would they do their job? Could they?

 

I think now I should reveal to you what’s behind a vampire’s death. It’s not just death.

 

When normal human beings die their souls are freed from their flesh, from this earth. They would continue their journey. They would carry on their next level of life. Souls would not die. Souls merely transform.

 

However when it comes to vampires the case is different. Vampires are cursed creatures whose souls are captured by the devil. When they die their souls would not be freed but become the devil’s possession. There would not be any further journey or future life for them.

 

Forever, let me repeat FOREVER, they are toys, prisoners and slaves of the devil. Forever, again FOREVER; and ever, they are cut off from hope, from light, from love, from any meaning of existence. Every moment they would endure pain, agonies, humiliations, tortures… and there’s no death to end any of those. Until eternity they could scream, beg, protest, plead, and even pray only to be rewarded by the shrieking laughs of the devil. There’s no salvation. There’s only total despair… till eternity.

 

Eternity.

 

That’s what would happen to Eunhyuk if he’s killed.

 

And what if nobody killed Eunhyuk? One day when he lost control he would serve the devil. That means he would convert others to vampires. And being so powerful, given no vampire hunter could stop him; he could definitely do a good job and serve the devil well. More to that… Hyukjae’s heart, so pure and kind, would weep knowing what he’s doing yet helpless to stop. It would bleed undergoing the cruelest possible torture inflicted on him… until… eternity…

 

……

 

Imagine if you’re Donghae… what would you do?

 

Smirk of the devil just developed into the most heart-piercing laughs. Donghae what would you do? One way or the other, it’s your call!

 

Pin drop silence surrounded the place for like forever.

 

……

 

“Henry…” Finally Donghae broke the silence.

 

“Yes Donghae hyung…”

 

Donghae looked at Henry. He was close to pleading. “Is there a way… to redeem vampires? So that… Eunhyuk can be… human again?”

 

As Henry looked at Donghae he saw the eyes of a prisoner waiting for his final verdict. After hearing the verdict either he would be reborn, or he would be swiped all hope.

 

Henry had never imagined that the future of Donghae, someone he admired and respected so much, would be depending on an answer from him.

 

To be honest Henry didn’t want this. He wished he could hide. Those anxious yet desperate eyes from Donghae were killing him. His own eyes got teary. He couldn’t breathe properly. Pain started to gather at his throat.

 

Knowing the answer… he remained quiet (I think you now know the answer as well). One more instant Henry remained quiet, one more instant Donghae could hope.

 

……

 

No matter how unwilling he was, time for the verdict had to come. Henry shook his head and looked away. He couldn’t bear seeing Donghae’s expression.

 

No. There’s no way. There’s no hope. There’s no salvation. There’s only total despair… till eternity.

 

When one was eradicated all hope it’s like a flame had extinguished inside. Those originally sparkling eyes of Donghae went dead. His aura dimmed. Though he didn’t really change his posture, it’s like he’s deflated.

 

Donghae closed his eyes and lowered his head. He covered his face with his hands. All strength had left him. Most probably his heart had stopped beating. Most probably Donghae had stopped breathing… At least he could embrace death to end those torments, but Eunhyuk…

 

Those eyes of Eunhyuk were looking at Donghae now. He saw tears roll down from them. Donghae could see clearly the helplessness, desperation and despair in them.

 

There’s no other way… right? Donghae…

 

I beg you… Donghae… Just finish me and let go. Let go of all these. Forget about me. Free yourself and start a new life… OK?

 

Nevertheless Donghae’s answer remained the same. Eunhyuk… I can’t… I love you…

 

……

 

Gently Siwon gripped Donghae’s forearms. “Hyung… this may seem cold-hearted. But please be strong OK?”

 

Though reaction from Donghae was like he didn’t hear him, Siwon continued. “I’m sure Hyukjae hyung would rather take on all sufferings; than to find himself claiming more victims for the devil.”

 

Siwon bit his lip. It pained him a lot as well. “You don’t have to do this yourself hyung. We can do it.” He exchanged a glance with Mina and Nina. “Eunhyuk… would let us do it… Hyung you just… forget about him… OK?”

 

…… Forget?

He’s everywhere. There’s him in every scenery I see; every surface I touch; every whisper of wind I hear; every flavor I taste; every scent I smell; every emotion I feel; every breath I take; every tear I shed… Every pulse in me; every beat of my heart; each and every single fragment of my memories… Hyukkie’’s there…

Without him I don’t even exist!!!

 

Desperation drove an idea into Donghae’s mind. The devil raised an eyebrow in amazement.

 

So be it… At least I still have you Hyukkie…

 

That’s a lovely phrase Donghae once heard. Once Hyukjae timidly buried his face in Donghae’s shoulder, softly wrapped his arms around Donghae’s waist and sincerely whispered beside Donghae’s ear. “At least I still have you Donghae…”

 

 

---------------------------

A/N: Many Thx for ur comments!! I will continue to work hard!! Really MANY THX!!!

A/N2: Honestly I'm visiting Romania this weekend, to research and collect more info so that this "history" can be more accurate!! Haha~~~