Eunhyuk

The Road to Redemption

How could one tell if someone was a vampire? That’s difficult. Only professionals who went through strict and tough trainings could tell.

 

Most of the time vampires looked like other ordinary human beings. Well one thing they shared in common. They were stunning. They all possessed that breath taking aura. That’s not a surprise. In fact they could really take your breath away.

 

I said most of the time. That means sometimes, when vampires revealed themselves, they did not look like human beings. Their eyes would turn crimson red and their fangs would show. But normally if you happened to see that it would be the last image your saw in your life.

 

In exceptional cases if one managed to earn the mercy of a vampire, or due to whatever reasons, a vampire’s blood made its way to one’s throat before the last bit of life force slipped away; crimson red eyes and fangs would not be that person’s last vision.

 

And that person could see this image as many times as he / she wanted. All that person had to do was to look at himself / herself in a mirror.

 

And yes vampires were immortal. That’s not a myth. They would not grow old and they would not die (normally). But still, though difficult, vampires could be killed. Again that’s something only professionals could do.

 

He arrived and entered through the city gate when the sun was setting. It was a leisure pace he was taking, not like the others who were rushing through before the gate would be closed. They were rushing back home after finishing the day’s business. They could not wait to be with their family again, to share the sweet moments with their loved ones, to find comfort in each other’s embrace.

 

How wonderful it is being a human…

 

There was no need for him to rush. Of course not, he had time as much as eternity. And so what if the city gate was closed? He would find another way.

 

And what he was planning to do could wait. There was still time.

 

He looked up at the sky. Sunset was truly beautiful. There’s only one problem. It reminded him of that incident, that bitter moment…

 

His cloak was fluttering in the wind. He pulled it tighter and buried his face deeper in the hood.

 

Attention was the last thing he wanted. On the one hand that would attract the professionals. Not that he’s afraid of them. None of them was sufficient to pose any threat. (Well there might be one. But that’s another story.) To him they’re just annoying. He knew them all too well. Even though they knew there was no match they still would not leave him alone. They would fight until it cost them their lives. All those vampire hunters were prepared to sacrifice, to give up their own lives for their life-long mission - killing vampires. And their lives were something he didn’t want. In fact those were the very things he was trying to protect.

 

The main reason he didn’t want any attention was… he knew someone out there was following him. That someone was spreading his ears, picking up whatever traces of him he could get. That someone desperately wanted to see him.

 

But he didn’t want to see that person again… even though… deep down inside… he couldn’t deny… he missed him.

 

“Oppa would you like some strawberries?” A little girl, around 5 maybe, approached him and asked.

 

Alerted he looked down at the little girl, who was looking up at him with curiosity filled eyes. She was lucky. If it’s not him she approached, she would have been a good dinner with her blood so pure and fresh and smelling so nice.

 

While he didn’t speak for some time, the girl recoiled. She probably only saw darkness when she looked into his hood. And that frightened her.

 

Seeing that he looked around to make sure no one was checking on him. Then he lowered his hood and smiled at the little girl. “Yes pls give me one basket.”

 

To the little girl it was like she just met the most charming prince. A sweet smile formed on her face as she handed him a basket of strawberries. “That’s three farthings.”

 

Instead he took out a gold coin (he only had gold coins) and pressed it into her little hand. He gently ruffled her hair as he took the basket of strawberries. “Keep the change.”

 

The little girl’s eyes widened as she looked at, for the first time in her life, the gold coin in her hand. And then she looked up at him. He smiled.

 

“MAMA A PRINCE HAS JUST GIVEN ME A GOLD COIN!!!!” The next minute she rushed towards her mother, yelling excitedly on the way.

 

“Sigh! You idiot! Biggest mistake of the day!” Quickly he pulled his hood back up and disappeared. He knew that would not escape the ears of that person. Soon that person would be here. He had to get his things done and continue on his journey as soon as possible.

 

He sat down under a tree in a little forest beside the castle. That’s where he’s going tonight. But before that he spared himself some quiet time during which he could enjoy the strawberries. Food tasted like dust to him. But strawberries… still tasted good.

 

The sun had finally set. It was a moonless night. Stars could be seen twinkling clearly in the sky. He spent some time trying to comprehend their patterns according to what he once learnt in zodiac reading.

 

It was so much fun back then. When the 2 of us lay down and stared into the night sky, debating whose interpretation was correct…

 

He bit his lip and stood up. You! Stop creeping into my mind!

 

In the blink of an eye he was standing beside the castle wall. He normally would not rush as he normally had time. But if he wanted to, he could be like lightning.

 

There were several options he could enter the castle. Through the main gate which was guarded. That’s not a good option because then he would draw attention to himself. Through the sewage… nah no! That shouldn’t even be considered an option!

 

He would just climb (or jump) into it. Easy and clean.

 

When he set foot on the courtyard he was greeted by… guard dogs. Well he was actually expecting them. Human senses were just… underdeveloped after all. As usual he silenced them by revealing his fangs, staring at them with his crimson eyes. It was no exception this time. One by one they let out a whimper and went away. They knew he’s no ordinary person to mess with.

 

He looked around. He had to locate the duke who’s living in this castle. Extending his senses he smelled human beings, heard music and felt movements. A banquet was taking place. He moved and let his senses direct him. The next minute he was crouching on the rim of the roof, peeking in the banquet hall.

 

The banquet hall was heavily guarded outside. Nevertheless if any of the guards felt anything, it was wind they felt.

 

In fact he had never seen the duke himself. But it was easy to tell who among the nobles his target was tonight. Everyone was eager to go and talk to the duke, to listen to his brags, to laugh at his jokes which were (if not boring) not funny at all.

 

Again he waited. He had to wait until the banquet was over. It didn’t matter. He had time.

 

Gallons of wine were consumed. Tons of meat, bread, butter… were exhausted. Greed of human beings… could never be satisfied. Inside the banquet hall it was another world. The only problem bothering the nobles might be that the dessert was not as delicious as it could be. What about war? That’s something far away. What about people out there not having enough food? And thieveries and robberies? Those were also far away. But they’re happening right in the very same city! Oh really? Well… anything outside the castle wall was too far to be paid any attention.

 

To him the music was too loud. And the smell of people getting drunk, smoking and sweating was so disgusting he actually wanted to throw up. That’s what came together with well-developed senses. He knew the blood he’s going to drink tonight would taste ugly. Nevertheless it’s his choice.

 

The banquet was finally over. Not many people managed to leave the banquet hall properly on foot. Slowly one by one the nobles made their way to their carriages with the help of the servants and retinues.

 

The duke was so drunk he was still singing and talking nonsense when he was being carried to his bed chamber. He tripped on his way and smacked the servant heavily, leaving the poor young fellow on the verge of tears. The duke was more than twice the size of that servant. But of course that’s not the reason the servant couldn’t carry him properly. It’s because servants were simply stupid who needed to be smacked from time to time.

 

To the relief of that young fellow the duke finally reached the bed chamber and collapsed onto his bed. The servants quickly closed the door and left. Nobody saw… that in a dark corner in the chamber there stood an unexpected visitor.

 

……

 

Even though alcohol had clouded his mind, his basic instinct told him something was wrong. He’s in danger. Quickly the duke opened his eyes... and saw the last image he would see in his life – crimson red eyes and fangs…

 

As he expected, the blood tasted awful. Good that he still had some strawberries left.

 

The next morning news of the duke’s death was heard by every ear in the city. People were rejoicing, dancing along the streets. They greeted each other by saying “the duke is dead!” No more heavy taxes. No more unnecessary wars. No more unreasonable confiscations. They were finally free to live their lives.

 

The joy was not shared by the guild of vampire hunters in the city though. They knew what the others didn’t. They knew it was a vampire’s doing.

 

“That means a vampire succeeded in getting into the city, even into the castle without us knowing? How’s that possible?”

 

“Does that mean our system has loopholes? But we have patrols nearly everywhere!”

 

“He’s too good then. He hid his vampire presence too well. Not even the most sensitive hunter could detect.”

 

“Go and ask! Somebody must have seen him! We cannot leave such a powerful vampire on the loose! Quick!”

 

He knew people were looking for him. But even he himself had no idea where to continue his journey. He had no home, no friend, nothing. Though rendered to such a bitter form of existence, still he strived hard to conceive some meanings out of it.

 

I think I haven’t told you his name. Well maybe you have heard this name before. Lee Eunhyuk -- the most powerful vampire of the time.

 

-----------------------

A/N: Now I give you Eunhyuk. I will give you Donghae in the next chapter!! ^^