The End of the Journey (Part 1)

The Road to Redemption

Searing pain, burning.

 

Jolted hearts, pounding.

 

Hot blood, dripping.

 

……

 

What’s your name?

Lee Hyukjae. And you?

Lee Donghae.

 

Hyukkie you’re just as sweet as the strawberry… No you’re the sweetest…

ANIEYO!!

“Hyukkie! Don’t be shy! You’re the most beautiful and sweetest person to me. I really love you... Hyukkie I love you…”

 

“Tell me… you’re not going to leave me… Tell me… Please!!”

“… Why? Of course I’m not going to leave you… Donghae…”

 

“Hyukkie… HYUKKIE!!! Stop the magic!!!”

I can’t… Donghae… W… What should… I… do…? Donghae…

 

Hyukkie we stay together… no matter what… No matter how much pain it means… we… stay… to…ge…ther…

 

“Hyukkie…”

“W…What…?”

“What about me Hyukkie? Where is my gift?”

“Arr… Donghae… Stop it…”

“If there’s no gift for me I have no choice but to take you Hyukkie… not that I complain…”

“O… Of course… there… w… will… be a… gift… for y… you…”

“But I’d rather have you Hyukkie…”

 

“Hyukkie ar…”

“Um…?”

“What will you do when you grow up?”

“Most probably helping appa’s farm business. Selling strawberries to all over the world.”

“I very much want to travel around the world…”

……

“Hyukkie don’t cry. No that will not happen. I will never leave you…”

“Donghae… I don’t want you to give up your dream… because of me…”

“You’re my world and my dream Hyukkie. Either I go with you, or I don’t go. No matter what we stay together. Don’t cry OK? Smile for me please?”

 

“Donghae…”

“Yes Hyukkie… I will go with you…”

Appa… we will avenge you. We will kill all vampires! Wait for us appa. Triumphantly we will return, with dignity, with victory! Appa we will make you proud!

 

“At least I still have you Donghae…”

 

“Donghae… we will never leave each other… right? We will stay together… no matter what… right…?”

“Of course! Hyukkie… I will protect you. I will shelter you. Never will I leave you… Never will I forsake you… I will always love you…”

 

“Why are you so scared Hyukkie...?”

“You… You… Of course… I’m… scared… YOU SCARED ME!!!”

“Hyukkie ar… look what you have done…”

“I’m sorry… Donghae… Are you… feeling OK?”

“No… Hyukkie… you have to kiss me… then I’d be OK.”

“Donghae… you never stop… teasing me…”

“I can’t help it. It’s your fault Hyukkie. Now kiss me or I won’t let go of you.”

……

Sorry Hyukkie… I still wouldn’t let go of you… I just can’t… I’m helpless…

Donghae!!!

 

“OK Hyukkie we have work to do. Let go of the puppy!”

“Why?”

“Why what? Soon it would be our patrolling shift.”

“I’m asking. Why are you jealous of a puppy Donghae?”

“No I’m not jealous!”

No secret between us Donghae. I heard you…

 

“Donghae…?”

Don’t speak… Don’t move… Just listen…

Hyukkie… I love you… With all my heart… sincerely… Hyukkie… I love you… Never… ever… leave me… OK? Please?

Donghae… you know my heart…

 

You’re the most precious part of me…

I will guard you with my life…

Donghae… I… Love… You…

 

“YOU IDIOT!!!! YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

… I’m sorry Donghae… I beg you… Promise me you will stay happy… and remember… that… I… love… you…

HYUKKIE!!!!

 

“… D… Dong…hae… N... NO…!!!”

“H… Hyuk… kie… No… Y… You can’t… l… leave me… Hyuk…kie…”

No… I don’t want this… Donghae… Don’t do this to me… No… Don’t!!!

This is the only way to save you Hyukkie… Forgive me… Don’t move…

 

“My name is Eunhyuk. Hyukjae doesn’t exist anymore.”

“Donghae… It’s over. What’s between us… is over.”

“EUNHYUK!!!!!”

 

You know I can’t do that! Stop asking me to finish you. There must be another way out of all these!!

Another way? Where? Show me!! Where?

……

There’s no other way… right? Donghae…

......

I beg you… Donghae… Just finish me and let go. Let go of all these. Forget about me. Free yourself and start a new life… OK?

Eunhyuk… I can’t… I love you…

Love is not enough… Donghae… Love is not enough…

 

“There’s an idiot on earth. To this idiot you are the world, you are the dream. You are everything, the only treasure worth pursuing. There’s only you in this idiot’s heart, who loves you only…”

 

“There’s no way this idiot can redeem himself… Just… if one day… this idiot manages to find the cure, please… allow him to redeem you…”

 

“Promise me one thing. Promise me you will kill me before I can kill you.”

“Stop talking nonsense!”

“I’m serious. I’m begging you…”

“… You know… how much you mean to me… right?”

 

“Hyukkie… Why…?”

“Why… must… things… be like… this…?

“Why… can’t things… stay… the same… like… they were… in… the past…?”

“Donghae… I wish…”

 

Hyukkie?

Donghae!!!

Hyukkie! I’m here!!

DONGHAE!!!

I’M RIGHT HERE HYUKKIE!!!

“… D… Donghae… I’m… so… scared… I’m… very … scared…”

 

Promise me you will kill me before I can kill you.

Hyukkie… I can’t… I love you…

 

……

 

the most tasty blood on his lips, Eunhyuk looked at Donghae.

 

His face was pale, deathly white… as not a single drop of blood remained in his body.

 

Corner of his mouth had curled into a smile. It’s a heartbreakingly sweet smile.

 

He was transformed into an unmoving, haunting, beautiful piece of art.

 

Those eyes were gazing at Eunhyuk softly. The flame of life once sparkled inside had died out.

 

Something remained. Even after the last bit of life force left the body, love was still flowing out of those once sparkling eyes…

 

As the last bit of comfort, love never died.

 

He gasped.

 

Eunhyuk woke up. He froze. Every drop of blood in him had turned into ice. He shivered. It’s colder than ever…

 

Eyes widened, Eunhyuk turned to look at himself in the mirror. At the corner of his mouth, remains of Donghae’s blood were gleaming red…

 

Donghae!!! DONGHAE!!!!

 

Tears burst out…

 

Triumph laughs of the devil proclaimed their defeat.

 

No… No… NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

……

 

The blood tasted sweet, sweetest ever. It’s warm, the most soothing ever. It’s…

 

different…

 

With all his might Eunhyuk dragged himself up. Like a phantom he flew to the other side of the guest room. Shivering all over, Eunhyuk shifted his eyes to look at Donghae.

 

Silently Eunhyuk was praying. No… God… Please…

 

……

 

Donghae was not moving. Head tilted to one side blood was streaming down his neck.

 

Drawing in a deep breath, Eunhyuk shut his eyes. He had to make sure he could handle this. Cautiously Eunhyuk stood up and approached Donghae. He was trembling… fighting the temptation.

 

Tears were trickling down his cheeks. Please… Donghae… Don’t die…

 

Extending his hand, Eunhyuk touched Donghae’s neck.

 

He could feel the pulse.

 

Thank God!Thankful tears burst out. Bluish silver light… sorry… no… the color was red. Red light shot out from Eunhyuk’s palm and wound around Donghae’s neck. After some minutes the bleeding stopped.

 

Carefully Eunhyuk laid Donghae down and covered him with a blanket. He examined Donghae again. Donghae had lost some blood. But he would be fine. After resting for days he would be fine…

 

Sighing in relief Eunhyuk collapsed onto the floor, exhausted.

 

At the same time the devil slammed his hand on the table. Everything around jumped. THIS IS NOT THE PLAN!!!!! For one tiny moment the devil wanted to smash the jar. I wish he had. Then Eunhyuk’s soul would be freed. Instead the devil turned and left furiously.

 

Eunhyuk stopped Donghae’s bleeding. Yet bleeding in his own heart continued. It probably got more severe. Tears continued to escape his eyes.

 

Looking up at the sky through the window Eunhyuk could see the moon. It was mid night. It was very quiet.

 

Straightening himself up, Eunhyuk lit the oil lamp.

 

Things shouldn’t be like this. Donghae… I am sorry…

 

……

 

With teary eyes Eunhyuk looked at Donghae… from a distance. This would be his last time seeing Donghae. Eunhyuk was determined. This was the last time.

 

This last time lasted for days… During those days Donghae was in coma and Eunhyuk tended to him with extreme caution, striving to stay in control. On the one hand he was glad seeing Donghae getting better. But on the other hand he was very much aware of the time ticking.

 

The sun rose again. A glimpse of sunlight illuminated the guest room.

 

Eunhyuk saw Donghae stir and frown. His heart ached and sank. Donghae was about to wake up. That meant he had to leave.

 

It’s not that Eunhyuk had not felt pain before. He had endured severe pain. There’s no doubt about that. Remember how the devil was toying with him, torturing him…

 

But the pain sinking into his bones now… blended with sorrow and regret and bitterness and despair and helplessness and even love… was certainly the most unbearable. He’s leaving Donghae. There’s no turning back this time.

 

Clenching his fists, unable to control his tears, sparing one last glance at Donghae, Eunhyuk left. Farewell… Donghae… Forgive me…

 

 

--------------------------------------

A/N: Originally "The End of the Journey" belonged to "The Journey". It's so long I decided to give it another title!

A/N2: Felt like just wrote the whole story again~~~