The End of the Journey (Part 2)

The Road to Redemption

Eunhyuk flew out of the city, crossed the line of stones. He didn’t allow himself to hesitate. Like wind on and on he flew, having no idea where he was going.

 

……

 

The wind flew…

 

……

 

The wind wept…

 

……

 

The wind mourned…

 

……

 

At the end he reached the end of the world. Standing by a cliff Eunhyuk looked down. Angry waves were smashing themselves onto the sharp rocks, roaring. To Eunhyuk they were like furiously protesting for him, for them.

 

Eunhyuk looked up. The mid day sun was shining bright above the sea. The crystal blue sky was beautiful, decorated with white clouds glowing with silver linings. They were begging Eunhyuk, trying to tell him there was still hope.

 

There’s no turning back!

 

What Eunhyuk feared the most happened. Well it almost happened. Eunhyuk almost killed Donghae.

 

And the thing was… he couldn’t be sure if he would be able to retain control going forward. What if next time… those images flashed in his mind turned real?

 

Before that could happen, Eunhyuk had to end this. He had to end everything.

 

Standing by the cliff, by the end of the world, Eunhyuk would end everything.

 

Donghae wouldn’t give up. Eunhyuk knew the other enough. As long as Eunhyuk continued to exist, Donghae wouldn’t give up.

 

Even when Eunhyuk was totally claimed by darkness and became a blood thirsty vampire, even when Eunhyuk had completely lost his mind and could no longer recognize Donghae, Donghae would still try every means to protect Eunhyuk.

 

No doubt Donghae would continue to look for that tower, to dream that he could redeem Eunhyuk from the devil.

 

Eunhyuk didn’t know the devil very well. But it was sufficient to disapprove such encounter.

 

The only chance that Donghae would give up… would be… when there was Eunhyuk no more. Though it’s cruel, that’s the only way to save Donghae. When the last hope extinguished, Donghae would be saved.

 

Eunhyuk cursed himself. He was being a coward. Why did he wait until now? He should have done this long ago. He should have ended things fast and clean.

 

There’s no value in his existence. That only cost other people’s lives. And what’s the value in his soon-to-realize death? That would not end his own sufferings. That would also not end Donghae’s sufferings. That would only kill Donghae’s last hope.

 

But… only when the last hope evaporated… would Donghae be able to live again…

 

Donghae… forget about me… free yourself and start a new life…

 

He drew out his sword, which was gleaming a red flare. The blade shined under the sun. Its tip blinked.

 

Eunhyuk pointed the tip of the sword at his heart. He closed his eyes and recollected in his head the image of Donghae. He played in his mind once again those bitter sweet memories…

 

Wind was caressing his face, brushing away his tears, carrying them into the sea.

 

With your love, Donghae, I would not fear.

As long as you’re happy, I would be fine.

No matter how unbearable the agonies would be for me, the knowledge that you are fine would be my salvation.

Even until eternity I would be burnt in hell, I would smile recalling your love…

 

……

 

“HYUKKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Donghae sat up straight on the bed, panting hard.

 

That was the most haunting nightmare ever. Sweat rolled down his forehead. It’s haunting because… it felt so real…

 

Still shuddering Donghae looked around. There was nobody. Oil lamp on the table had died out. Donghae felt a pang in his heart when he saw… there on the table sat a letter.

 

Dreading he opened it…

 

Donghae,

 

My doom is near. We cannot continue like this. By the time you read this letter, everything is over. Please understand that I have to end everything.

 

Despite every reason that things shouldn’t be like this, they are nevertheless the way they are.

 

I am sorry Donghae. I am very sorry. I know the pain you will be feeling. I know you will accuse me of being cruel. Donghae… I feel the exact same pain. And in order to save you, I have to be cruel to myself.

 

I can no longer stay by your side. No longer can I be sure when I will lose control. Sincerely Donghae. If I am given a choice, I want to be with you forever and ever.

 

Don’t bother looking for me. By the time you read this it’s already too late. I don’t exist anymore.

 

Please go home Donghae. I have accepted my doom. I am doomed. But you don’t have to be. I beg you Donghae. Forget about me. If magic can erase memory I would wipe myself from yours without any hesitation.

 

Stop feeling guilty. This is my request. I forbid you to feel guilty. I forbid you to blame yourself. Start a new life. This is my request. Be happy. This is my last request.

 

I am so thankful that countless times you took my hands. I am so thankful that countless times you held me in your arms. I can still feel the tenderness. Your embrace still warms my heart.

 

Thank you for loving me, for accompanying me until now. Thank you for traveling my last journey on earth with me. Forgive me I cannot share my very last moments with you.

 

I love you Donghae. I have always loved you. I still love you now. And I will love you forever. Please always remember that I love you.

 

… What am I doing here? I told you to forget. But then I’m asking you to remember… I guess I don’t know anymore…

 

But one thing I am certain.

 

With your love, Donghae, I would not fear.

As long as you’re happy, I would be fine.

No matter how unbearable the agonies would be for me, the knowledge that you are fine would be my salvation.

Even until eternity I would be burnt in hell, I would smile recalling your love…

 

Farewell,

Hyukjae

 

Tears had soaked the letter, causing the words to spread out. Donghae’s cry had seized everyone in the city, causing them to jolt. The next day they would be discussing about some crazy person, and how fortunate it was that this person had left.

 

“HYUKKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Donghae stumbled out of the room.

 

The next minute other guests in the inn saw Donghae fell down the stairs. Before anyone could comprehend Donghae had scrambled himself up and dashed out of the inn.

 

“HOW CAN YOU GIVE UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

Whatever they were doing a moment ago, at that moment everyone on the street stopped to look at Donghae, who was running toward the southern gate like he’s running for his life.

 

“HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN YOU BE SO CRUEL TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HYUKKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

The southern gate was closed. That couldn’t stop Donghae though. He slashed the lock with his sword and smashed the wooden door open. That shocked the guards, who could only stand there, eyes widened with disbelief.

 

“YOU KNOW IT’S NOT POSSIBLE!!!! HOW CAN I BE HAPPY WITHOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN I NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

Donghae crossed the line of stones.

 

“HYUKKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

He ran. As fast as he could he ran.

 

“HYUKKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

He cried. As loud as he could he cried.

 

It was a long way (for a human being). Donghae ran and ran and ran. He had no idea how much time had passed. Days maybe. He only knew he had to keep running, even though he had no clue where he should be going.

 

His feet were blistered. Sharp rocks had cut open the leather shoes. Donghae fell down. He climbed up. And he fell down again. And he climbed up again. His whole body was bruised and scratched, including his throat. He was crying so hard he could taste blood. Even his throat was bleeding. Ignoring the protests of his body Donghae kept running. Donghae continued calling his dearest’s name.

 

He cursed he couldn’t run faster. He cursed his voice couldn’t reach the target recipient.

 

……

 

He reached the end of the world. Donghae reached the cliff, the one he had seen in the nightmare. Just in the dream it was mid day and now it was dusk time.

 

……

 

Eunhyuk was not there.

 

Donghae fell down on his hands and knees. He looked at the sun, which was fast sinking into the sea, trying to run away from Donghae’s accusing glare.

 

“H……!!!!!!!”

 

He was muted. That name carried so much pain it’s like his throat was being stabbed. He tasted more blood. Donghae was screaming at the top of his lung; yet he couldn’t hear himself.

 

Instead he heard weepings of the waves. He heard whistles of the wind, carrying along Eunhyuk’s last message.

 

With your love, Donghae, I would not fear.

As long as you’re happy, I would be fine.

No matter how unbearable the agonies would be for me, the knowledge that you are fine would be my salvation.

Even until eternity I would be burnt in hell, I would smile recalling your love…

 

Unstoppable tears flooded and surged out of his eyes. Donghae had become blind…

 

when the last gleam of sunlight… vanished…

 

when the last gleam of hope… vanished…

 

when complete darkness, total despair descended upon the world…

 

……

 

No… Why…

 

……

 

How… could… you…

 

……

 

Hyukkie… Hyukkie…

 

……

 

……

 

“You want to save him. Don’t you?” A voice spoke behind Donghae.

 

That’s Shesh.

 

 

------------------------------

A/N: Many of you are asking if we are approaching the end of the story. Well... of course with every word we are coming nearer to the end... But we are not there yet! I was imagining, just imagining, what if the story really ends here? IT'S SO HORRIBLE!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! BTW still remember who Shesh was?

A/N2: I like super junior's song "In My Dream" a lot! And I think the melody would fit this chap a lot! Just couldn't find any Eunhae video on youtube using this song? Why?! O_o

A/N3: I just joined Twitter. Am still an idiot. Follow me if you like. http://twitter.com/#!/TheHeapify ^___^