The Journey (Part 1)

The Road to Redemption

Donghae didn’t want to let go of Eunhyuk. Seriously he didn’t. Every part of his body was trembling with excitement. His eyes were welling up. He was surprised that he still had tears left in him to shed. But those tears were different. They were fuelled by hope. It’s joy they were twinkling.

 

… Eunhyuk… Thank you… EUNHYUK!!!

 

Smile on Eunhyuk’s face widened. Donghae…

 

……

 

Smile still on his face, frowning Eunhyuk shifted a little. Donghae… Come on… Release me…

 

Pouting Donghae let go of Eunhyuk… reluctantly. Seeing the pout Eunhyuk had to turn his head… to hide his chuckle. It’s he himself who pouted a lot in the past…

 

“Eunhyuk… please give me some time… to say goodbye to my friends.” Donghae looked at Eunhyuk with questioning eyes.

 

“Of course.” Eunhyuk nodded. It’s also funny that Donghae was asking Eunhyuk for permission?!

 

……

 

Donghae came to stand in front of Mina and Nina. “Thank you. Thanks for being supportive and understanding…”

 

Mina looked at Nina. She knew Nina had something to say. Nina’s eyes were glistening. She’s hoping for the best but… there could be a chance that she would not see them again. “Donghae oppa... You are doing absolutely the right thing. And… we will certainly miss you. You, the 2 of you, have all my best wishes...”

 

“And come back oppa! Don’t forget us.” Mina added. “Bring back your dearest when you’re back OK?” Mina tilted her head to Eunhyuk and winked at Donghae.

 

Donghae turned his head to look at Eunhyuk. Before he got enchanted again he turned to face Mina. Smiling Donghae nodded. “Yes we will come back. We surely will!”

 

And then it’s Siwon. “Hyung…” It pained him so much knowing he had to part with Donghae. For years Siwon had been following and supporting his hyung. Things were changing so fast. Just days ago the 2 of them were still fighting together. They still had plans as to how to deal with various missions on hand. Before he could get a hold of what’s going on the last thing he would expect happened. Now Donghae came to say goodbye…

 

Donghae took a deep breath and patted Siwon’s shoulder. “Siwon… I am sorry…” They looked at each other for quite some time. Both of them found it difficult to express their feelings in words. Seeing sadness on Siwon’s face Donghae added. “Please Siwon… Please understand that I have to do this…”

 

Siwon nodded. He looked down. He fully understood and as usual Siwon supported Donghae. Just this time… it’s very difficult for him. Despite every reason still it’s very difficult for Siwon. Heart tightened, jaw tightened Siwon looked up at Donghae. Firmly he nodded. “Yes hyung… I understand. Please… come back!!”

 

Tears rolled down Siwon’s eyes. Donghae embraced the other into his arms. Firmly they hugged each other. “We will come back. Of course! And Siwon… I can’t apologize enough. I cannot say thanks enough. Siwon… Thank you… for everything…”

 

……

 

Reluctantly Donghae broke the hug and walked to stand in front of Henry.

 

“Donghae hyung.” Henry looked up at Donghae. He couldn’t help his worried expression… knowing how harsh and dangerous their journey would be.

 

Donghae ruffled Henry’s hair. He smiled and looked at Henry with sparkling eyes. “Cheer up OK? Henry. You gave us hope. You should be happy.”

 

Pursing his lips Henry tried to push his worries aside. “Donghae hyung… be careful… please. Be very very careful…”

 

Nodding Donghae hugged Henry. “Thank you so much Henry! Please know this. In complete darkness, in total despair you found the light for us. You may consider it a dim light. Nevertheless no matter how dim it may seem, it’s shining bright contrasting the darkness. You can’t imagine how soothing it is, how much joy it brings.”

 

“… I’m happy I could help…” Henry hugged Donghae back. “Please come back Donghae hyung…”

 

He tightened his hug on Henry. “Of course!”

 

Moments later Donghae released Henry and turned to walk towards Eunhyuk. Henry followed. That made all other vampire hunters follow as well. Though they all knew who Eunhyuk actually was, still they had to be cautious letting an innocent person go near a vampire.

 

“Eunhyuk… hyung…” Henry was hesitating a bit. And it sounded a little awkward since people usually would not address vampires with hyung.

 

He didn’t expect this either. Eunhyuk was also surprised. “Yes Henry.”

 

“Effect of darkness on you will be more overwhelming when you get near the tower, where the devil dwells. Please be very careful…” Henry said.

 

“Thank you Henry. I will.” Eunhyuk nodded and smiled at Henry. Henry’s heart skipped a beat. A vampire smiled at him. And that’s not just an ordinary vampire. It’s Eunhyuk, EUNHYUK, who smiled at him!!!!

 

“My apologies. Eunhyuk… oppa…” Mina as well found it a bit uneasy calling Eunhyuk oppa. “I’m sorry… for… trying to kill you… for… pressing Donghae oppa to finish you…”

 

Eunhyuk was a bit taken aback. And then he heard Siwon speak. “I’m sorry as well… Eunhyuk hyung. I mis-judged and misunderstood you.”

 

“You don’t have to.” His eyes shifted from one to the other. Smiling, softly but firmly Eunhyuk said. “You’re doing what you should be doing. There’s no need to feel sorry.”

 

Well… Eunhyuk didn’t know. What he just did might be making the others feel even more sorry… That’s just him, kind and beautiful from the inside to the outside.

 

……

 

It’s time to begin the journey.

 

Waving their hands the 2 of them bade the others farewell. Silently, with determination in each stride, Eunhyuk and Donghae walked side by side.

 

With every step they took their shadows grew longer and longer. All the others stood there, eyes fixed on them until their shadows faded out and completely disappeared from their eyesight. In their hearts they prayed sincerely for the 2 of them. With every bit of willpower they kept their fingers crossed.

 

It’s not going to be easy.

 

They had their best wishes for Eunhyuk and Donghae. And the 2 of them were determined to walk down the road to redemption no matter what lay ahead. Donghae kept saying they would come back. Still the fact was it’s not going to be easy.

 

Time for Eunhyuk was limited. No one knew how much time was still there. And the closer he got near the tower, the faster his time would be ticking. Could they make it to the tower before the day of his doom? Would Donghae, or Eunhyuk himself have to end the whole thing on that day? Or would Eunhyuk be finally claimed by darkness and kill Donghae? Or would Eunhyuk turn Donghae into a vampire? With 2 vampires so powerful the devil would surely be very happy.

 

Even if they could reach the tower, what could they do? Were they in a position to bargain with the devil? How good was the chance that the devil would agree to what they asked for? What would they have to do? What would they have to give? How much would they have to pay? How much would a soul cost? A soul for a soul?

 

And remember. The devil was cunning. The devil could not be trusted.

 

Who do you think you are? The devil sneered, eyes narrowed.

 

Good job Henry. Everything worked according to plan. It’s going to be so much fun.Grinning, the devil was really looking forward to it.

 

……

 

They travelled south. That’s what was mentioned in the scroll.

 

Beginning of the journey passed in silence. It was even a bit awkward. There was so much in their hearts they wanted to spill out. Yet at the same time they didn’t know what to say. They just couldn’t find the words…

 

“… Eunhyuk…” At the end Donghae decided to break the silence. He actually had no idea how to continue the conversation. Silly it might seem he didn’t want to take the silence any more.

 

“Yes Donghae.” As he had spent so much time on his own over the past few years he was more used to the silence. But Eunhyuk knew Donghae.

 

Donghae was really finding himself stupid that he couldn’t come up with anything to say. It took him quite some time. He even stuttered. “Eunhyuk… must… must I continue… to call you Eunhyuk…? I… I mean… err… Can… can I call you… H… Hyukkie…?”

 

Eunhyuk turned his head to look at Donghae. He saw Donghae’s pleading (puppy dog) eyes. Meeting Eunhyuk’s stare timidly Donghae lowered his head. Eunhyuk frowned. What happened to Donghae? No doubt it was Donghae walking next to him. But Donghae was so not the Donghae years ago…

 

Eunhyuk considered what Donghae just asked. On the one hand he didn’t want to give Donghae too much hope. Still he’s not Hyukjae. Still he’s a vampire. He knew Donghae would do anything to try to save him. But seriously he didn’t want anything to happen to Donghae. He didn’t want Donghae to do anything to be honest. That’s the reason why he was here by Donghae’s side. With more hope it would just hurt Donghae further… when he lost Eunhyuk…

 

But on the other hand… this was probably their last journey… together… Maybe… it shouldn’t be so harsh for Donghae…?

 

……

 

Eyeing Donghae for some time Eunhyuk gently nodded. “Yes.” Once again Eunhyuk smiled.

 

Abruptly Donghae looked up and stared at Eunhyuk. He couldn’t believe it at first. When he saw the smile on Eunhyuk, so stunning, so breath-taking, he felt the fragmented pieces of his heart begin to mend. It was so comforting. It was like soothing water finally drenching and reviving a dried, cracked and lifeless riverbed. It was like the sun finally came out after a painstakingly long, cold and gloomy winter.

 

It was worth it. It was worth all he had. It was worth his life. It was worth his soul. It was worth it what he endured; and what he’s going to endure. Donghae was so joyful that he’s now given a chance to totally sacrifice his everything for that smile. Seriously just one last glance at that smile… that’s all he asked. Donghae would not regret… Just one last glance at that smile…

 

Eunhyuk, on the other hand, was regretting this. Why did he smile? That made Donghae even more determined. He didn’t want this!!

 

All of a sudden Eunhyuk’s expression turned grim. “Donghae.” He had to let the other know the reality.

 

Donghae’s body became tense. His heart sank.

 

Eunhyuk could only sigh. This made him regret as well. Donghae was so happy the previous moment. And this moment Eunhyuk jerked Donghae out of it. But it’s all for good right?

 

Sighing more heavily Eunhyuk said. “Going forward Donghae. There will be times when I suddenly disappear. Please. Do not ask why. Do not bother looking for me. Do not worry. I will come back. Please trust me that I will always come back. OK? Could you do that?”

 

Donghae blinked in bewilderment.

 

……

 

And his heart sank further when Donghae realized what Eunhyuk actually meant by that. He bit his lip. He shut up, drinking his own tears.

 

Eunhyuk was telling him he’s a vampire. Eunhyuk was a vampire. Eunhyuk was telling him there would be times he had to feed.

 

You may have heard from other vampire stories that vampires could feed on animal blood.

 

No they couldn’t. And you will know why. Keep reading.

 

Vampires could only feed on human blood. Eunhyuk could only feed on human blood. Eunhyuk would have to kill. Though he always picked his victims, whom the world would be better off without, still Eunhyuk had to kill.

 

“I’m sorry Donghae…” Softly Eunhyuk whispered. Really Eunhyuk didn’t know what to do… what to say…

 

He just wanted Donghae to be happy… Why was it so difficult?

 

“It’s alright H… Hyukkie… I… understand…” Softly Donghae whispered. He nodded. Same here. Donghae didn’t know what to do… what to say…

 

He just wanted Eunhyuk to be happy… Why was it so difficult?

 

They continued their journey in silence…

 

……

 

Why was it so difficult? Because love couldn’t flow. There’s a wall between them. Love couldn’t flow…

 

 

-----------------------------------

A/N: Sorry for the late update. Was not feeling well the last few days so couldn't write...

A/N2: *sigh* Believe it or not I'm a positive person!!! I don't know why my stories are all so SAD!!! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!

A/N3: *sigh further* Believe it or not I'm a quiet person. I don't talk much!!! But when I write I want to tell you each and every single detail!! Oh Gosh!! Even the farewell took so long... Seriously I think there will be part 3 for "The Journey"!!