The Last Moments

The Road to Redemption

There’s not always a second chance. Or I should say… most of the time… there would not be.

 

No matter how much we regretted afterwards, how much we didn’t intend to have things that way, most of the time, what’s done’s already done; what’s gone’s already gone.

 

Not fair?

 

What’s even worse was… a lot of times… we didn’t do anything… we didn’t have control over the situation… but we’re the ones to bear the consequences… we’re the ones to suffer…

 

Not fair?

 

I agree. But that’s the reality. Very cruel…

 

Most of the time… the road to redemption does not exist.

 

In the tower, in complete darkness Donghae was protesting about the same. He could see the moon in the sky through the window panes. Yet the darkness in the tower was so thick that not even the tiniest glimpse of moonlight could flow in. That was a perfect reflection of Donghae’s world. Contrasting what’s happening outside; where hope and light were finally showering onto the earth; Donghae’s world had been empty the last bit of hope… the last gleam of light…

 

He had given his everything. He didn’t hold anything back.

 

Donghae had come all this way, entered darkness, challenged the devil, bowed down on his knees to the extreme evil…

 

Donghae had shed blood, wept tears, embraced tortures, welcomed deep cuts and countless injuries, took on all humiliations…

 

Donghae had given up his dignity, pride, honor, his right to continue existing as a human being, and offered his soul…

 

All for nothing…

 

Well Donghae saved the world. That’s something.

 

Yet that only left him mercilessly choked by the chains of frustration, handcuffed by the manacles of despair, and crushed by the weight of helplessness.

 

……

 

As if he was not given enough despair to suffer, the tower began to shake…

 

Donghae had no intention to leave. He had no strength left in him to move…

 

God… At least have mercy on Hyukkie…

He doesn’t deserve this… HE DOESN’T!!!!

 

Tiled floor beneath Donghae was cold. Yet desperation was boiling up his blood.

 

I accept my punishments… If I am to die I have no complaint…

I’m just a useless sinner… who dared to dream about redeeming Hyukkie… and even himself…

But Hyukkie… PLEASE SAVE HIM!!!! He doesn’t deserve this! I BEG YOU!!!!

 

Donghae closed his eyes. He saw Hyukjae smiling at him. He saw Hyukjae’s hair shining off the silver moonlight. He saw love and tenderness in those most beautiful eyes. He saw Hyukjae’s lips curl and form the most charming smile. He saw Hyukjae’s purity and innocence outshining everything…

 

Hyukkie… You’re so… perfect… I love you…

 

A warm sensation flooded and overflowed Donghae’s eyes. The warmth streamed down his cheeks.

 

Almighty God… if I can see him one last time… just once… one last glance at that smile… just once…

 

Contrary to what Donghae was asking, the image of Hyukjae gradually faded away.

 

……

 

The light remained.

 

Bewildered Donghae slowly opened his eyes. He blinked.

 

It seemed the moon had decided to strain and shine with all its might to pierce through darkness. Like a spot light silver beam from the moon cast into the dark room. The spot light illuminated the door where Donghae came in.

 

Outside the door there were the stairs…

 

and another door…

 

Donghae jolted up.

 

The next second he rushed towards that door (half scrambling half running), all the way becoming more aware of the tower shaking.

 

As the door swung open a corridor, long and dark like there’s no end, unfolded in front of Donghae. The chill coming out of it gave Donghae shivers all over.

 

Yet Donghae’s heart gave a strong throb as… at that moment it felt Eunhyuk again. Donghae gasped. Eunhyuk was inside!

 

Even in such a gloomy situation the presence of Eunhyuk didn’t fail to bring the most genuine smile onto Donghae’s face. He broke into a run, bumped into the walls a couple of times as shaking of the tower got more serious.

 

“HYUKKIE!!!!!”

 

As Donghae ran he heard cracks eating the tower from below. He quickened his pace.

 

“HYUKKIE!!!!!”

 

It was raining dust and sand inside now. Through the dust shower Donghae saw a dim red glow ahead.

 

Smile on Donghae’s face widened as he heard… in his head… the voice as sweet as one from an angel…

 

Donghae…

 

Hyukkie!!! HYUKKIE!!!!

 

Either it’s because the devil had left; or that the devil didn’t bother anymore; the 2 of them could hear each other again.

 

And they were together again. Donghae threw himself beside Eunhyuk. He wiped the dust off Eunhyuk’s face. At the same time smile on Donghae’s face was wiped off as he saw Eunhyuk… lying there unmoving. What happened? Hyukkie? WHAT DID HE DO TO YOU?!

 

Donghae you should leave.

 

NO!!! I’m not leaving without you Hyukkie!!!Donghae remained as Donghae, as stubborn as always.

 

Donghae you don’t have much time!!

 

Only the time with you counts Hyukkie… If there’s no you there’s no time anyhow…Lovingly Donghae ran his hand through Eunhyuk’s hair… He smiled… He’s really taking his time…

 

Donghae listen! Stop behaving like this! I beg you…

 

NO! YOU LISTEN HYUKKIE!!! YOU STOP BEHAVING LIKE THIS!! Donghae cut Eunhyuk off… abruptly… desperately…

 

……

 

Tears rolled down Donghae’s eyes. He held Eunhyuk tightly in his arms. Softly he planted a kiss onto that milky white cheek. Snuggling closer Donghae whispered into Eunhyuk’s ear. “I beg you… Hyukkie… Listen to me…”

 

Tightening his hug and burying his face in Eunhyuk’s shoulder, Donghae felt the long lost calm in his heart. More sand, coarser and mixed with tiny rubbles, showered onto them… The whole world felt like crumbling… The sound, like thunder, was deafening…

 

And Donghae’s throat was burning…

 

Hyukkie… I beg you… Stop pushing me away… Please…

You don’t know… You still don’t understand… I am an idiot…

 

Sorry my love… Sorry for being an idiot…

 

This idiot said he would protect you. He would guard you.

Not because he’s strong. But the exact opposite… because he’s fragile…

This idiot would fall apart without you by his side…

 

The idiot also said he would always love you…

Not because he has a lot of love… But the exact opposite… because he needs a lot of love…

This idiot would wither, thirst to death without your love in his world…

 

This idiot even said he would do anything, give up anything for you…

Not because he’s abundant to give… But the exact opposite… because he has nothing… but you…

This idiot is nothing if there’s no you…

 

Hyukkie… After all which had taken place… until now… this very last moment… do you not understand? Do you not understand why this idiot has done all these? Do you not understand how special you are? How much you weigh in this idiot’s heart? How firmly the soul and life of this idiot belong to you? How desperately this idiot needs you? How helplessly precious… how pathetically important you are to this idiot?

 

Do you not understand how terrible it would be for this idiot? If he is to live the rest of his life without you? It would be easier to live without air… It’s simply not possible. It’s something this idiot cannot bear… Do you not understand? Hyukkie?

 

I beg you Hyukkie… Don’t push me to leave you… These are the last moments we can still be together… Grant me the mercy to spend them with you… OK? Grant me the mercy to perish together with you… Please? I beg you…

 

……

 

Eunhyuk couldn’t agree… but he also couldn’t insist… He didn’t know anymore… what’s better for Donghae…

 

Both of them had become idiots… in front of love…

 

Tenderly Donghae kissed Eunhyuk.

 

Lovingly Donghae kissed Eunhyuk.

 

Passionately Donghae kissed Eunhyuk… like there’s no tomorrow. Indeed there’s none left for them…

 

Hyukkie… I love you…

 

Donghae… I love you…

 

The last kiss… sweetness… bitterness… thankfulness… helplessness… joy… sorrow… love… regret… mingled with tears…

 

……

 

The tower began sinking into the earth.

 

It was heart-wrenching. It was frustrating. Even if Donghae poured out all his love, poured out all his blood, shed all tears, emptied his life… he still couldn’t save Eunhyuk. Nothing would change. What else could he do?

 

……

 

He would pour them out anyhow.

 

Donghae thanked God for granting his last, dying wish; that he could see his dearest one last time. He locked his eyes on that beautiful face, on those perfect features, on those maybe sinful lips…

 

Golden light shone. With that Donghae could see more clearly.

 

His dying wish… Donghae very much wanted to disintegrate and dissolve into Eunhyuk… if possible…

 

Slowly Donghae drew out the rest of the golden sword.

 

……

 

Donghae saw droplets of blood, like sparkling liquid rubies, splatter onto Eunhyuk’s marble white face. That’s stunningly… painstakingly… beautiful…

 

Hyukkie… Thank you… Without you I don’t exist… I… love… you…

 

With one last smile, with love-filled tears, with a calm heart, Donghae collapsed onto Eunhyuk…

 

……

 

……

 

They deserved a better ending.

 

……

 

……

 

Is this better?

 

……

 

……

 

A second chance? Most of the time… there would not be...

 

……

 

……

 

Do you believe in miracles?

 

 

-----------------------------

A/N: Hello everyone! I have updated sooner this week! It's abt 1 day sooner!!! ^^

A/N2: Sorry I confused u guys w my A/N of the last chap. If you prefer HaeHyuk / HyukHae? That's a question in general. This story will stay the way it is! And my next story will be... *tell u later*

A/N3: I might hv problems updating next week since I will be in Osaka for a VERY IMPORTANT event!!!!! Guess what?! I'M SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! ^___^