Eunhae

The Road to Redemption

Most of the time vampire hunters worked in pairs. To be on the safe side it would need 2 hunters to fight a vampire, a magic user and a sword bearer.

 

Vampires were fast. First of all they had to be hindered, slowed down. How could that be achieved? Magic.

 

Among the 2 hunters one would be a magic user. We call them vampire catchers. They were responsible for setting up a magical field around the vampires which would greatly hinder their movements; as well as absorb their strength.

 

On the battlefield the scene might seem odd in the eyes of the outsiders. Why would a hunter just stand there? Not doing anything (most of the time)? Well… please do not underestimate the effort it took to contain a vampire. It demanded utmost concentration. And it cost a whole lot of energy to maintain the flow of magical current. Often it was the catcher who suffered first when the vampire struggled to break the magical field. If that really happened it would injure the magic user badly, life-threateningly bad.

 

And the catchers were not always “doing nothing”. They assisted their partners with other magical spells: fire, thunderbolts, stones, wind, ice…

 

In addition to that magic users were often more sensitive in detecting the presence of vampires.

 

Mina, a level gold catcher, was the most sensitive vampire hunter of the time.

 

Given a vampire chained by magic, it was still necessary that someone was there to finish the job. That was done by the sword bearer. We call them vampire slayers.

 

Vampire slayers had to be fast. Otherwise it would be no match against vampires. Though slowed down by magic, vampires were still very fast compared to human beings.

 

Needless to say they had to be skillful fighters as well. Years of martial arts training was essential.

 

And they were the ones who had to get near the vampires in order to slay them. That means they had to take the risk in every battle. Either they killed the vampires, or the vampires killed them. Precision, accuracy, decisiveness and speed were what were asked for. There’s no room for second guessing, or any second chance. The longer the battle lasted, the bigger the disadvantage the hunters had. At the end of the day, vampires would not get tired… but human beings…

 

Nina, a level gold slayer, was the fastest vampire hunter of the time.

 

It’s not sufficient to have just a good vampire catcher and a good vampire slayer. Good team work was even more crucial. Say the slayer was about to dash forward and strike the vampire’s right side. The catcher should grasp the chance to enforce the magical field on the vampire’s left so that the vampire couldn’t escape the slayer’s attack.

 

Once decided to be a team, the 2 hunters had even more trainings to go through. Those were there to ensure they fought well together, that they knew what each other intended to do, that they could fight with one mind. Well that’s the hope. Not many pairs could achieve something close.

 

It was again dusk time. The truly beautiful sunset, though sparkling and trying every means to seek admiration, could not draw any attention from the 3 on the battlefield.

 

The battle was taking place on a bare land not far away from the city, before the road winded itself into a deep forest.

 

Eunhyuk was actually impressed that Mina could detect him. Originally he had left the city already. Yet the news of vampire killings in the city’s southern part brought him back.

 

On his way towards the city he met Mina and Nina who were patrolling. He didn’t pay much attention. His presence, due to some reasons, was always faint and difficult to detect. It was close to nothing if he determined to hide it. But he didn’t bother at that time.

 

He wished he had bothered when suddenly he found a magical field pressing against him. Sigh!

 

On the other hand Mina was shocked that presence of a vampire could be so dim. It’s almost impossible to detect. She would have normally walked pass him without noticing anything. However on that day she checked everyone she encountered since she knew there’s a vampire out there who’s no ordinary.

 

They were famous, Mina and Nina. Many powerful vampires were brought down by them. They worked very well together. That’s not a surprise. They were twins. That explained all.

 

However they had one weakness. There’s one element they lacked.

 

Strength.

 

And that proved fatal when their opponent was Eunhyuk.

 

Mina’s magical field was not strong enough to give Eunhyuk enough hindrance. He was made slower than lightning. And he could break it any moment he wanted.

 

Nina darted forward. She held one sword in each hand. Her attacks (to human eyes) were a blur of movements. Nina was fast. That was impressive as well. But Eunhyuk was just faster still. Even when occasionally Nina’s attacks managed to get close to Eunhyuk, he could just block them by force.

 

Not long after the battle began, both Mina and Nina knew it was probably their last day on earth. But to their amazement the battle continued…

 

Because Eunhyuk didn’t want to hurt them.

 

Nevertheless he was getting annoyed. He summoned strength and threatened to break the magical field several times, Mina’s face twisted in anguish but she refused to let it down. And Nina just kept hopping here and there, swinging, swirling, stabbing with her swords even though none of those touched him.

 

Just leave me alone!!

 

He wondered what he should do. He had to do something to stop the fight. And then maybe he could talk them out of this.

 

The next minute Eunhyuk vanished in front of Nina. Alerted Nina gasped and attempted to turn around. Before she could instruct her body Eunhyuk was already behind her. The next thing she knew was searing pain burning her right arm, which went limp in an instant.

 

Lightning flashed in front of his eyes. “NINA!!!” Mina screamed. She wanted to continue the thunderbolts but then she remembered it’s more important to hold Eunhyuk with all her magic; or else he could freely strike again.

 

Eunhyuk jumped back a few steps and stood still, arms crossing.

 

Her right sword dropped onto the ground. Nina stumbled a few paces forward and quickly turned around. She bit her lip as sweat rolled down her forehead.

 

Eunhyuk had dislocated her right arm.

 

Panting she tightened her grip on her left sword. Just when Eunhyuk was about to speak she raised her left sword and lurched forward. He shoved her aside, causing her to trip and fall onto the ground. Nina gasped in pain.

 

“Don’t move! You want me to dislocate your left arm?” Eunhyuk warned.

 

The next minute someone appeared and came to stand between Eunhyuk and Nina. Seeing hope Mina’s eyes brightened and drew upon every strength in her to enforce the magical field. “Oppa! Quickly! Kill him!” She yelled.

 

Eunhyuk peered at the person in front of him. Donghae…

 

Mina couldn’t believe her ears the next minute Donghae spoke. “Mina lower your guard.”

 

It took her a few seconds to react. “Oppa!!”

 

“Lower your guard. You cannot hold him. Tend to Nina. My partner and I will deal with him.”

 

Nodding Mina rushed to Nina, whose face had turned real pale. Yet she assured Mina with a forced smile. Mina’s eyes shifted to look at Eunhyuk again.

 

Tilting his head and fixing his stare on Donghae Eunhyuk extended his senses. One… two… three… One… two… three… There are only 3 warm-blooded in proximity.

 

He rolled his eyes and smirked. Donghae you think you can fool me with that?

 

Seeing that Mina’s face turned white in horror. She knew what Eunhyuk was doing and she knew from the smirk that Donghae was alone. His partner was not here. She wondered what was going on in Donghae’s mind. No this can’t be happening! What are you doing Donghae oppa!!

 

Even Donghae was not sure if he himself knew what he’s doing. He’s putting things at stake. Nevertheless he had that calm in his heart.

 

He knew Eunhyuk would not harm them. He couldn’t explain why. He just knew and he’s certain.

 

And he’s more than certain that he himself would not harm Eunhyuk.

 

Suddenly as if something rang a bell Eunhyuk narrowed his eyes and looked at Donghae. “… Well… good try Donghae! Leave me alone!” He turned to leave.

 

Donghae stepped forward and took Eunhyuk’s hand.

 

......

 

He exhausted his mind to come up with something to say. “Eunhyuk… Killings in the city...”

 

Eunhyuk was tempted to let Donghae hold his hand longer. Nevertheless he quickly jerked his hand back and glared at the other. “Of course it’s not me! How dare you!!”

 

“I know it’s not you. Who was it?” Donghae was fighting the urge to take Eunhyuk’s hand again.

 

Eunhyuk eyed Donghae for some time. He bit his lip. Sighing Eunhyuk said. “Give me the presence.”

 

Donghae looked into Eunhyuk’s eyes and recalled the presence he picked up in the southern part of the city.

 

Having felt the presence, Eunhyuk closed his eyes and spread his senses. Moments later he opened his eyes again. “Rosie. That’s her name. Not easy to deal with. And she’s still in the city.” Slowly he turned to leave.

 

……

 

Sunset was truly beautiful. There’s only one problem. It reminded them of that incident, that bitter moment…

 

Eunhyuk didn’t look back. Sunset clothed him with a layer of pale golden lining, perfecting his stunning beauty (if that’s possible); as if sunset herself took pity on Eunhyuk’s lonely, never-ending journey without destination. It’s not the first time Donghae saw this image. It’s just like last time… sunset… bitterness… regret…

 

Tears blurred his vision as Donghae watched Eunhyuk slowly walk away; his shadow growing longer, and that the distance between them lengthened. It’s not just the physical distance… He saw a trench between them. A trench so deep and wide… there’s no way to cross, nothing could fill…

 

No matter what it’s good to see you again Eunhyuk… For the rest of my life… I will regret. Every day, every hour, every minute, with every heartbeat I will regret…

 

Eunhyuk, on the other hand, silently shed tears as he left, as the familiar despair and loneliness closed in on him; knowing Donghae was watching behind him, knowing the river of time flowed only in one direction, knowing nothing could bring back what was lost.

 

Donghae you’re not the only one who’s suffering. Forever… and ever… I have time until eternity for that…

 

 

-------------------------------

A/N: Hyukkie's revenge to Nina (if you've read my 1st fic). Um... but if so Hyukkie is too kind (that's why I love him so much ^^).

A/N2: A little bit of angst... I just can't help it... oh Hyukkie is sooooooooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!

A/N3: Next chapter Henry and Siwon will appear. It's EXCITING!!!