The Platinum Hunters (Part 1)

The Road to Redemption

Donghae embraced Hyukjae tightly. “Hyukkie…” Silent tears streamed down his cheeks.

 

“Donghae… we will never leave each other… right?” Hyukjae buried himself deeper in Donghae’s embrace. “We will stay together… no matter what… right…?”

 

“Of course!” With all his love, firmly Donghae kissed Hyukjae’s cheek. “We stay together no matter what. You know I mean it.” Again that feeling was there. In Donghae’s arms, shivering slightly as he sobbed, Hyukjae felt so fragile, so delicate, so pure, so innocent, so beautiful, so precious. Donghae’s inside was dying to pour out all his love, devote all his life to treasure and guard and protect his dearest. “Hyukkie… I will protect you. I will shelter you. Never will I leave you… Never will I forsake you… I will always love you…”

 

Though tears were still coming out of his eyes, Hyukjae smiled. “Thank you… Donghae…” Buried in Donghae’s embrace, immersed in love, enveloped with warmth Hyukjae’s heart felt no more at lost. He found security in those most comforting arms. At least he still had Donghae. At least they were there for each other. At least love was firmly binding them together. There was no need to worry… because…

 

With each other they could conquer all.

 

Could they?

 

At least it felt like so at that time…

 

……

 

The next day training started. They were placed in the novice’s class. As they entered the classroom they earned curious stares from everyone. Although it’s the novice’s class, people there were still years older than the 2 of them.

 

The novice’s class was about the basics, which I have very much told you already. What vampires were? How to distinguish them? How humans were converted to vampires? What’s behind a vampire’s death? Why vampires couldn’t be spared? How to fight vampires?

 

Those were followed by the training about detecting the vampires’ presence. The novices were asked to tell among a number of blood samples; which one was actually vampire blood. Normally it took a year of repetitive hard work and practices for a normal person to acquire such a sense.

 

People were surprised how quickly Donghae and Hyukjae picked this up. Not a single time they had missed. Not a single instant they had hesitated. Actually the 2 of them didn’t need this training. They had come face to face with a vampire who didn’t bother to hide his presence at all. That sense had been securely implanted in their nerves. That memory would never fade. There’s no way on earth they would ever forget that encounter… the chill, the thickness in air, the awful feeling, the presence…

 

Sooner than anyone could expect they moved on to the next level of training. The time was approaching when they would be picked to go either the slayer or the catcher path. Even though Donghae very much wanted to go to the same class with Hyukjae, he knew in order for them to fight vampires together they had to go separate streams.

 

“Hyukkie I have to hide my magic. We have to figure out how.”

 

“It says here that magic is like other born talents. Either you have it or you don’t. If you have it your magic can be fine-tuned or further developed. If you don’t have it there’s no way you can be trained to acquire magic ability.” In their dorm Hyukjae was reading the textbook about magic foundations.

 

Donghae came to sit beside Hyukjae. “Does it say how you can hide it?”

 

Hyukjae flipped through the pages. “No… Donghae I guess you’re the one and only one who wants to hide your magic.”

 

“Look for where it talks about how they check for magic in you.” Donghae wouldn’t give up.

 

“The easiest way to release hidden magic ability is to inject magical current into a person. If there is magic in that person the magical current within would be woken up. Feeling the additional magical current, the original caster can tell that person possesses magic potential.” Hyukjae read with his index finger tracing the texts in the book.

 

“OK Hyukkie! Let’s test this. I’ll try to hide it and you try to feel it.” Donghae took Hyukjae’s hand.

 

The 2 of them looked at each other. They had no idea how dangerous their experiment really was.

 

Without warning tides of magical current surged from the fountain within Hyukjae over the veins, through their palms into Donghae’s body. Donghae felt like someone had just punched him. The next moment he was sent flying to the other side of the room. He was feeling dizzy and paralyzed. Magical currents from both Hyukjae and himself were turning and flipping his insides. He wanted to throw up.

 

Hyukjae was shocked from head to toe. Quickly he rushed towards Donghae. Taking Donghae’s hand, teary eyes widened with concern, gently he Donghae’s hair. “Donghae… Donghae!!!”

 

There was no reply.

 

……

 

“…D… DONGHAE!!!!”

 

Tears were bursting out of Hyukjae’s eyes now. His heart just turned into ice. His face turned white and his body turned cold. He couldn’t help trembling. The next minute he jolted up and started running out for help.

 

Suddenly a pair of strong arms grabbed Hyukjae and pulled him back down. Before he could comprehend Hyukjae was locked in Donghae’s grip. He saw Donghae’s sparkling eyes looking down at him, as well as the evil grin on Donghae’s face.

 

Donghae traced down Hyukjae’s jaw line with his finger. “Why are you so scared Hyukkie...?”

 

It took some time for Hyukjae to regain the ability to speak. “You… You… Of course… I’m… scared… YOU SCARED ME!!!” More tears rolled down Hyukjae’s eyes as he buried his face in Donghae’s chest.

 

Now that Hyukjae had fallen for his prank, Donghae was actually feeling a bit guilty. However the idea to tease the other further was just too tempting to resist. “Hyukkie ar… look what you have done…”

 

Still sobbing Hyukjae looked at Donghae with eyes full of concern. Softly he whispered. “I’m sorry… Donghae… Are you… feeling OK?”

 

It took all effort in Donghae not to laugh looking into those innocent eyes of Hyukjae. “No… Hyukkie… you have to kiss me… then I’d be OK.” Gently Donghae tapped those lips of Hyukjae, winked at the other and pointed at his own cheek.

 

Hearing that Hyukjae pouted. “Donghae… you never stop… teasing me…”

 

“I can’t help it. It’s your fault Hyukkie. Now kiss me or I won’t let go of you.” Eyes beaming with triumph Donghae pressed his face against Hyukjae’s.

 

Hyukjae bit his lip. His face started changing color. Timidly, in the most adorable way, he turned his head and gave Donghae a quick peck on the cheek. He then hid his face, which had turned really red, in Donghae chest.

 

The sweetness just melted his heart. Donghae wished the peck could last forever. He closed his eyes and smiled. Instead of letting go of Hyukjae like he said earlier, Donghae locked the other tighter in his embrace. Sorry Hyukkie… I still wouldn’t let go of you… I just can’t… I’m helpless…

 

Donghae!!!

 

……

 

Once again they had the blessings from God.

 

It all had to be done in a careful and controlled way. First of all Hyukjae had to control the magnitude of magical current flow. No one would inject that amount of magical current into another just to wake up the hidden magic potential. Honestly that could kill.

 

Reflexively the magic inside Donghae reacted to protect him. I have to tell you magic inside Donghae was, if not as exceptional as Hyukjae’s, strong as well. Therefore as the 2 powers clashed Donghae was thrown away. Thanks to his magic. No injury was done except Donghae had to take some time to regain himself.

 

Without knowing the danger behind they kept on trying. Gradually both of them managed to control their magic. Hyukjae could cast only a mild amount of magical current into Donghae. And Donghae could concentrate in order to suppress reaction of his magic inside to a minimum. Despite that, Hyukjae could still feel it.

 

To their amazement, the caster in the guild didn’t feel it fortunately.

 

Things worked out according to their plan. Donghae went the slayer path and Hyukjae the catcher.

 

But that didn’t stop them from grabbing the knowledge or skill of the other stream. While everyone else was more than exhausted undergoing the toughest trainings on earth, the 2 of them continued practicing swordplay and magic with each other. The determination to revenge was like an ever-lasting fuel to the flames burning inside. The blaze set them on fire. They never grew tired. Thoughts like “that’s enough for today” or “let’s take a break” never popped up in their minds.

 

Their only thought was to rid the world from vampires.

 

Sunrise, sunset, full moon, crescent moon and the stars were their witnesses.

 

Day after day…

 

Month after month…

 

Year after year…

 

The 2 swords were sharpened and forged. With tears, with sweat, with blood, with grief, with pain, with love, with bitter memories, with unhealed wounds, with determination, with courage, with murders and insults still to be revenged, they were perfected, ready to be taken out of the sheaths for their first battle.

 

At the age of 15, younger than anybody else, Donghae and Hyukjae pledged the vow and acquired the title.

 

Appa… we will avenge you. We will kill all vampires! Wait for us appa. Triumphantly we will return, with dignity, with victory! Appa we will make you proud!

 

“The day of revenge will come soon Hyukkie.” Donghae held his medallion tightly in his hand.

 

Looking down at the medallion Hyukjae drew in a deep breath. “It’s been 5 years appa… Soon we will come back…”

 

They didn’t know… what fate had in stock for them…

 

……

 

 

-----------------------------------

A/N: Sorry guys. I didn't hv much time this week... that's why I can only release part 1... >_<

A/N2: Did you see the latest Eunhae hug? In "Heart is Beating"? That's soooooooooooooooooooo SWEET!!!! So much left unspoken but clearly unveiled!!!

A/N3: My iPod nano was broken!!! So I rushed to the apple store to get a new one. I wanted one in SILVER (Hyukkie's color) but the shopgirl said there's none left!!! Just when I was about to settle for blue (SJ's color) she said... btw I just found this last one in silver... THAT'S MINE!!!!! RAWR~~~ RAWR~~~