HaeHyuk (Part 2)

The Road to Redemption

Originally the 2 of them thought they could talk to everyone in the same way. After several experiments they attempted at home they realized this was just between the 2 of them.

 

Hyukkie have you tried? I talked to Donghwa hyung like this but he just stared at me like I was insane.

 

Yes I tried. No none of them heard me. Appa, umma and noona. Haha did you stare at your hyung when you talked like this? I only tried at the dining table. I checked and none of them noticed anything.

 

We can talk secrets like this then!!

 

Yes!! And there will be no secret between us!!

 

Sunset.

 

Donghae and Hyukjae were sitting cross-legged in a farmland. That was owned by Hyukjae’s family. Guess what was being produced there?

 

Strawberries.

 

“Aw it’s sour Hyukkie!!!” Donghae’s expression twisted when the spasm caused by the sour taste travelled down his throat.

 

Hyukjae chuckled when he picked and put another strawberry into his mouth. “You picked the wrong one. That’s not ripe yet. Try this one.” He plucked and held a strawberry at Donghae’s mouth.

 

Donghae eyed Hyukjae for some time, who was smiling widely. The strawberry indeed smelled nice. Slowly Donghae opened his mouth and let Hyukjae feed him.

 

Even until now that was the sweetest strawberry Donghae had ever tasted. His eyes were locked on Hyukjae when the strawberry taste gradually filled his mouth and melted his tongue. Beams of sunlight cast onto Hyukjae, making his hair glow; his face sparkle; his eyes twinkle. To Donghae the other was outshining everything else. Hyukkie you’re just as sweet as the strawberry… No you’re the sweetest…

 

ANIEYO!! Suddenly Hyukjae pouted, looked down and blushed. (His face might be as red as the strawberries?) Donghae was so enchanted he had momentarily forgotten that Hyukjae could hear his own thoughts.

 

That’s too much for Donghae to take. He threw himself forward, wrapped Hyukjae tightly in his arms and pushed the other onto the ground. Gently he ruffled Hyukjae’s hair; smiled and whispered softly beside the other’s ear. “Hyukkie! Don’t be shy! You’re the most beautiful and sweetest person to me. I really love you... Hyukkie I love you…”

 

Slowly Donghae planted a kiss on Hyukjae’s cheek.

 

Locked in Donghae’s embrace Hyukjae’s face was certainly as red as the strawberries. There’s nothing he could do except remaining still.

 

……

 

“D… Donghae…”

 

“Um?”

 

“When are you going to release me?”

 

Donghae closed his eyes and grinned. Tightening his grip on Hyukjae he breathed in the strawberry fragrance. “Never.”

 

I will never let you go. I will never let you leave me Hyukkie…

 

Slowly the sun hid her face behind the mountains. Hyukjae stared into the sky… and buried himself in Donghae’s embrace. Both of them slowly drifted into sleep.

 

……

 

A sudden feeling of cold crept over Donghae. He gasped and quickly opened his eyes. Hyukjae was not beside him. He jolted up. The next minute his heart was pounding hard. He started sweating and panting. He looked around in panic. “HYUKKIE!!!!”

 

To his amazement Donghae found himself in his own room on his own bed. He jumped out of bed and rushed out of his room. “HYUKKIE!!!! HYUKKIE!!!!” Tears started flowing down his eyes as he ran.

 

He reached the front door of Hyukjae’s house. He banged at it and couldn’t stop yelling. “HYUKKIE!!!! HYUKKIE!!!!”

 

Somebody lit the lamp. Light flowed out of the windows. And then the door was opened. Donghae didn’t even know who opened the door (as long as it’s not Hyukjae). He dashed in and ran straight into Hyukjae’s room.

 

Catching his breath Donghae stared at the bed in the room.

 

……

 

Hyukjae was there. To Donghae’s relief Hyukjae was there sleeping peacefully. He drew in a deep breath and let this most comforting relief consume him.

 

He couldn’t control his tears when he crawled onto the bed and pulled Hyukjae into his arms. “Hyukkie… Hyukkie… Why did you leave me? No... please don’t leave me... Please...”

 

Still wandering in his dreamland Hyukjae was bewildered to see Donghae sobbing beside him. Gently he rubbed his eyes and said. “… Donghae… What happened?”

 

“Tell me… you’re not going to leave me… Tell me… Please!!”

 

“… Why? Of course I’m not going to leave you… Donghae…” Hyukjae snuggled closer to Donghae. “… Now… Donghae… if you… would just let me sleep…”

 

Actually nothing happened. It’s getting late. Their parents found them in the field and carried them back home.

 

Though Donghae couldn’t recall what actually took place it’s enough that he had Hyukjae in his arms; and that he had just heard the most comforting words on earth.

 

I’m not going to leave you…

 

Since then they were inseparable. If you saw one of them, you could bet the other was somewhere around (if not right beside the other). If Hyukjae’s parents didn’t find him in his own room, they could be sure he spent the night at Donghae’s (or the other way round); probably just drifted off to sleep together after excitedly talking about the adventures they had the day before.

 

It was a summer day afternoon. The classroom was warm and filled with stagnant air. Buzzing sound of mosquitoes echoed the teachers’ monotonic ramblings. It’s the boring Bible class again.

 

“Therefore put on the full armor of God… belt of truth…plate of righteousness… Take up the shield of faith… helmet of salvation… sword of the Spirit… word of God… pray…”

 

Hyukjae found his eyelids being pulled down by some invisible weights no matter how hard he tried to keep them open and focused. The writings in the Bible on his desk just transformed into some incomprehensible symbols; and started to dance around.

 

Hyukkie!! Wake up!! The teacher just saw you!!

 

… Donghae… quiet…

 

The teacher started walking towards Hyukjae.

 

Hyukkie!!!

 

……

 

OK I tried to help you Hyukkie. You can’t blame me.

 

“Lee Hyukjae!” The teacher stopped beside Hyukjae. Using the wooden stick in his hand he hit the desk hard.

 

Hyukjae jolted up at once. “Yes!”

 

“Which passage was I reading? Where did I stop?” Hyukjae started sweating as he met the scariest stare from the teacher.

 

“……” He looked down at his Bible, trying to find the passage. However his mind was totally blank. He couldn’t even recall a word!!

 

Donghae!!!

 

I told you to wake up. You ignored me.

 

“Where did I stop? Which chapter? Which verse?” Slowly the teacher raised his wooden stick.

 

Donghae!!! PLEASE!!!

 

Promise me you will spend this coming weekend with me.

 

I need to help appa in the field!!

 

OK fine.

 

The teacher held the wooden stick high above his head. Hyukjae looked at it. It probably wouldn’t feel good when it struck him. He squeezed his eyes shut when he saw a glimpse of movement.

 

OK Donghae I promise!

 

Ephesians, chapter 6, first 2 words of verse 18.

 

“Ephesians, chapter 6, first 2 words of verse 18!”

 

Eyes squeezed shut; Hyukjae was relieved when all he could hear was silence. There’s no sound of slapping. And of course he couldn’t feel any part of his body crying out in pain. Tentatively he opened his eyes…

 

… and met the glare from the teacher, whose movement was halted in mid air, trembling. “…OK sit down… and pay attention!”

 

Relieved Hyukjae sat back down. He pouted as he turned his head to look at Donghae. Donghae returned Hyukjae’s gaze with the most delighted and triumphant smile.

 

Appa’s gonna kill me!!

 

Weekend came. Both of them sneaked out of their houses when the day was dawning, before their parents could have a chance to stop them.

 

They planned to explore the cave they discovered last time. Once inside they had to feel their way in total darkness. Heart pounding, out of both excitement and fear, they gripped each other’s hands tightly. Their fingers intertwined. It was dark but amazingly they had the courage to carry on side by side.

 

Suddenly some creature let out a loud and screeching squeak. Hyukjae clung to Donghae and buried his face in the other’s chest. Donghae embraced Hyukjae firmly in his arms even though he himself had his eyes squeezed shut as well.

 

“Donghae… maybe… we should… go back?”

 

When Donghae opened his eyes he saw a dim light ahead. “Hyukkie I see light! We’ve made it this far already. Let’s see what’s on the other side!”

 

……

 

Both of them were awed when they came out of the cave from the other end. From there they could oversee their village; and maybe the other villages nearby as well. And they saw trees, bushes, fruits, flowers, insects… they had never seen before. It’s a secret wonderland only the 2 of them knew.

 

To them it’s like the day had decided to end sooner. They felt like they had hardly explored anything when they found the sun setting.

 

“Oh no Donghae! We should go back!”

 

“Arrrrrrrrrrr…. There’s still so much to see!!!” Donghae whined. But when he saw the worried look on Hyukjae he agreed. “OK OK. Don’t worry Hyukkie we go now. But we will definitely come back!”

 

“Yes of course!” Hyukjae smiled. Donghae took his hand and they walked through the cave together.

 

Hyukjae was very downcast on their way back to their houses. “Appa is so going to beat me…”

 

Donghae halted. He tightened his grip on Hyukjae’s hand. “Hyukkie… I’m sorry…” He turned to look at the other. “I’m sorry... I shouldn’t have…”

 

Hyukjae put his index finger on Donghae’s lips. “No Donghae don’t say that. I promised you. It’s my choice. I dozed off and you helped me. I should bear the consequences…”

 

……

 

Hyukjae reached his home and opened the door.

 

As he expected his father was waiting for him. Hyukjae looked away and fidgeted nervously as his father slowly stood up; and strode to stand in front of him. He saw the wooden stick in his father’s hand. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw movement. He bit his lip, stiffened and closed his eyes.

 

……

 

Hyukjae heard the sound of slapping… and a whimper. However it’s not pain he felt. Instead he found himself in someone’s warm and secure embrace. Tears rolled down his eyes when he heard the other.

 

Hyukkie… you are the most precious part of me… I will guard you with my life…

 

Tears streamed down Donghae’s eyes. Not because of the whack. But because at that moment their hearts were connected; and that he knew his love was echoed. He held his most precious in his arms when love, pure and true, bound them together.

 

You are the most precious part of me… I will guard you with my life…

 

……

 

Who would have imagined? Who would have foreseen? That one day they would be confronting each other on a battlefield?

 

-------------------------

A/N: Whew... it's such a long chapter... even though I tried to rework it...

A/N2: I'm trying to make this more HaeHyuk since my last story was HyukHae. ^^