The Road to Redemption (Part 2)

The Road to Redemption

Henry’s eyes followed Eunhyuk. He couldn’t take his eyes off Eunhyuk. He was completely captured by the other’s aura. The way Eunhyuk was was simply breath taking.

 

For some time Henry couldn’t believe that the most powerful vampire was in the very same room as he was. Within a few days he met the best vampire hunter and the most powerful vampire on earth… Seriously was he dreaming?

 

“Donghae hyung, does that mean…” Henry asked while his eyes were still staring at the window where Eunhyuk vanished.

 

Before Henry could finish his sister spoke. “Henry. We should go home.”

 

Mina stood up. She shook her head and silenced Henry with her eyes. “It’s getting late. We should go home.”

 

Both Henry and Mina shifted their eyes to look at Donghae. He was broken. There’s no need to elaborate further. It’s just plain and obvious. Donghae was broken. Even a complete stranger who had no idea what had happened so far could tell.

 

They were feeling sorry that they brought this whole thing up. And all of them finally understood the real meaning of helplessness. They exhausted their brains but no comforting word came. The only thing they could offer might be to give Donghae some time to rest.

 

When one was drained one would need rest. Afterwards one would regain strength… correct? When one was wounded he / she should rest as well. After that one could recover… right?

 

Slowly Mina walked towards the door. Nina followed her. A few seconds later Henry joined them.

 

Siwon opened the door for them.

 

“Donghae oppa… I am sorry for… everything. Please… take good care of yourself…” Mina said before they left.

 

After closing the door Siwon came to sit beside Donghae. He didn’t break the silence in the room. He knew Donghae had to rest. He just wanted to be there… by his side… when Donghae needed him…

 

The one Donghae really needed, whom his life depended on, had left.

 

The only one who could truly bring Donghae comfort… had left.

 

……

 

The journey home was silent as well for Mina, Nina and Henry. They were deep in thoughts.

 

As if they all appreciated it, still they remained silent when they reached home. Without a word Henry climbed up the stairs, walked down the corridor and entered his room.

 

Closing the door behind him Henry stared at his treasures piled up and scattered in the middle of the room. Taking a deep breath Henry lit the oil lamp. Silently he set out to work. One by one he took out books, scrolls and parchments from the pile. Line by line, word by word he read through and re-categorized them. He had no idea why he was doing this. Just it didn’t feel right going to bed now. And there’s nothing better to do…

 

From what Donghae had revealed, Henry had the questions he previously had answered. He knew what made Eunhyuk special. Nevertheless the cure…

 

He worked until very late that night. Henry was not aware of time passing until flame of the oil lamp died out. He closed the book he was reading and rubbed his protesting eyes. He couldn’t help his heavy eyelids. With an exhausted body he crawled onto his bed. Frustration followed him into his dreams…

 

How to redeem a vampire? There’s still no answer to this question.

 

……

 

At that time Donghae was in his bed, staring into the ceiling. He was more than exhausted. He was more than lifeless. He felt some weight pressing against his chest. Such degree of grief had evaporated his life. His body felt like a corpse, his skin sagged into his bones, his blood being dry, air in his windpipe being choked out…

 

He wondered where Eunhyuk was now…

 

Donghae said he would let Eunhyuk go. That meant Donghae would not continue to follow Eunhyuk like he did for the past few years. Eunhyuk knew what Donghae meant by that. And Eunhyuk chose to leave.

 

That meant going forward their paths would not cross again. That meant they were completely separated from each other…

 

Maybe it’s better this way…? But… why does it feel so wrong…?

 

Though he said he would let Eunhyuk go, Donghae actually could not do that. Forever Eunhyuk would be in his heart… the twinge in his heart…

 

Donghae closed his eyes. How was he supposed to carry on now?

 

You have to redeem him. That’s your mission from now on Donghae.

 

Biting his lip Donghae clenched his fists. At least this part of the promise he would not give up. He would do anything. He would give anything… just to have Hyukjae back.

 

The words were the same. But the meaning differed. It’s not that Donghae wanted to have Hyukjae back by his side. It’s not that he himself wanted to have Hyukjae back. It’s all for Hyukjae now. Donghae was no longer important. As long as Hyukjae could be back… Donghae didn’t matter anymore…

 

Nevertheless…

 

How to redeem a vampire? There’s still no answer to this question.

 

……

 

Donghae didn’t know. Someone was watching over him the whole time. While Donghae was wondering where Eunhyuk was, Eunhyuk was actually just some 10 or 20 feet away.

 

Hiding himself behind the branches of a tree, Eunhyuk regarded Donghae closely. He knew Donghae was following him. He heard about Donghae all the time. But he hadn’t seen Donghae for years. Donghae… had changed so much…

 

In the past it was impossible to see the finest line of sorrow crossing Donghae’s face. Well… maybe only when their parents died… and when he himself (Hyukjae) was dying…

 

But now Donghae had come to equate to bitterness and sadness. It was still Donghae’s face… but… he couldn’t tell why… it looked different… heartbreakingly different…

 

And Eunhyuk almost couldn’t recognize Donghae when he reached into the other’s heart. Not a single part remained intact. It’s totally shattered. The fragments were completely scattered. Seriously it haunted Eunhyuk…

 

Maybe… he should stay…?

 

… No.

 

First of all people would keep pressing Donghae. Like what Mina initially did people would challenge Donghae for not killing a vampire. That would only add to Donghae’s burden.

 

Secondly… he really couldn’t be by Donghae’s side anymore. He couldn’t let Donghae see how he fed on blood… how he killed people… Not only Donghae. He couldn’t let anyone see him like that…

 

He’s certain he still loved Donghae. Yet he’s not sure if he’s forgiven Donghae. Eunhyuk knew he should. He knew perfectly well why Donghae did that to him… That’s understandable…

 

However every time he fell under the power of darkness and lives out of others he could only curse. Whenever he drank blood he could only weep. Seriously he did consider finishing himself. He still held the sword which had penetrated countless vampires. But every time he tried he would hear the husky whispers of the devil… the more than horrible screams and cries of all souls in endless torments… He would feel burning cold hands of the devil caressing him…

 

He wished he had died at that moment…

 

And the most important thing was… he knew the day of his doom was approaching. He could feel it. It’s getting more and more difficult to fight the urge… to just kill for blood’s sake (especially pure and innocent kids… their blood so mouth watering)… to torture and find enjoyment in those scared and helpless eyes… to submit to the devil and extend the vampire army…

 

When that day came Donghae would have to kill him. Or he himself would have to do it. Donghae had seen him die once… There’s no need for a second time…

 

Maybe… he should leave…?

 

… No.

 

Not now when he knew what kind of life Donghae was living. He couldn’t do it. He’s not capable of leaving Donghae anymore.

 

Therefore… Eunhyuk could only watch over Donghae from a distance.

 

He’s trapped in the very same prison Donghae was in. And there they were torturing each other…

 

Like in the past they loved each other. But love couldn’t flow. The merciless hands of darkness were blocking it. The deeper their love was… the more unbearable the tortures…

 

……

 

Someone was watching over Henry as well. Henry was sleeping. He’s dreaming a nightmare.

 

Henry saw a dark shadow standing by his bed, looking down at him with crimson red eyes. The shadow was radiating chill… which was suffocating him. Amazingly the chill made him sweat.

 

He couldn’t see the face but he could feel the smirk. He wanted to scream for help but he was muted. He wanted to run but he was firmly pressed against his bed. Not even his eyes could move. Henry didn’t want to look at those crimson red eyes but they held his gaze. The only part of his body still capable of moving was his heart. It was jumping like crazy.

 

Suddenly Henry heard noises. At first he couldn’t make out anything.

 

Then he had tremors all over when those words, repeating themselves again and again, were imprinted in his mind.

 

…...In the darkness corner of the world there is a tower……

…...In the darkness corner of the world there is a tower……

…...In the darkness corner of the world there is a tower……

……

 

Henry jolted out of sleep…

 

He jumped when a scroll dropped from the bookshelf onto the floor and rolled to stop beside his bed. Still trembling Henry took the scroll and opened it.

 

…...In the darkness corner of the world there is a tower……

 

For some time Henry couldn’t move. Sometimes things were so straightforward we tended to overlook them. Henry found the way. It was… so… simple…

 

But…

 

Must things come to this…?

 

He found the way. However Henry didn’t go tell Donghae right away.

 

For days he kept things to himself. He’s not sure if revealing the scroll to Donghae would be the right thing to do.

 

That didn’t escape his sisters’ eyes. Henry didn’t speak. That’s OK. But most of the time Henry also didn’t hear. And maybe he also didn’t see.

 

Slowly Mina was running out of patience. She pressed again and again but still couldn’t squeeze anything out of Henry. Finally she slammed open his door and snatched the scroll.

 

“HEY!!!” Loudly Henry protested.

 

……

 

Mina looked at Henry. “So you have found it. And you want to hide it?”

 

Still Henry remained silent. Nina came into the room and got the scroll from Mina.

 

……

 

“I know why you are doing this Henry. But… look at Donghae oppa. Would it be better for him if he’s kept from this? That he thinks there’s no way to save Eunhyuk?” Nina said.

 

Henry looked down. “But… is it worth it?”

 

“That’s not our call. That’s Donghae oppa’s call.” Mina said and started walking towards the door. Nina joined her.

 

“Where are you going?” Henry quickly followed.

 

“To Donghae oppa of course.” Nina answered.

 

……

 

Now all 5 of them were again in the guest room. Henry had the scroll in his hands. Donghae was getting anxious. It had to be the case that Henry had found something.

 

Henry looked at Mina, who gave him an assuring nod, and then at Donghae. Biting his lip Henry began. “Since Eunhyuk didn’t become a vampire in the usual way, he’s special.”

 

Donghae frowned. “What does that mean?”

 

“It was the blood from a dead vampire which turned him into one. Right?” Henry asked.

 

Seeing Donghae nod Henry continued. “Since the vampire was already dead, the power of the devil remained in the vampire blood was limited. Because of that the devil hasn’t been able to claim him completely. Normally in one year’s time after one’s soul is captured by the devil, the vampire would have become his slave already. The power of darkness would entirely control the vampire. However this is not the case with Eunhyuk. Until now, years later, he hasn’t turned anyone into a vampire. And it looks like he still retains control as to when and whom to kill.”

 

“That’s why his presence is so dim… not leaving behind any trace at the scene…” Mina realized.

 

Nodding Henry continued. “This also explains why Eunhyuk can still use magic. Magic is a holy gift from God. That’s why magic can contain and restrain vampires. If Eunhyuk is completely claimed by darkness he should no longer be able to access any magical power. So… I think… God has not given up on him yet.”

 

Donghae’s eyes, maybe not only his eyes but his whole person, brightened. “That means… Eunhyuk can still be saved?”

 

Henry tightened his grip on the scroll. Now came the critical part. Slowly he handed the scroll to Donghae.

 

Quickly Donghae took it and read.

 

…… In the darkest corner of the world there is a tower. Inside the tower there’s a room lined with shelves. On the shelves numerous jars are neatly placed. Each jar is occupied by one tiny sphere of light. The jars are marked with names and dates.

 

I wanted to be immortal but I didn’t encounter any vampire. I prayed to the devil. I was shown this image  and I heard. “Offer your soul to me. I will put your soul in one of those jars…”

 

That’s a lot to pay for immortality…

 

Look south. Spread your ears. You can see and you can hear. Countless regretting souls imprisoned in bitter and cruel immortality…

 

Upon finishing Donghae looked at Henry. Taking a deep breath Henry said. “It’s believed that this was written by someone who was looking for another way to become a vampire. It’s unknown what happened to this person. Donghae hyung… his soul is there. Eunhyuk’s soul, partially captured, is in the tower.”

 

“Where is the tower?” Donghae asked without the slightest hesitation.

 

Instead it’s Henry who was hesitating. “Donghae hyung… even if you can get there… what do you plan to do?”

 

“Why? Anything to trade his soul back.” To Donghae it’s like Henry had just asked the most unnecessary question.

 

“…From what’s written we only know it’s somewhere in the south…” Henry whispered.

 

That was a bit disappointing but it’s OK. No matter how hard it would be Donghae would find it. The next moment Henry found himself in Donghae’s embrace. “Thank you so much!!! THANK YOU!!!!”

 

Without wasting another second Donghae rushed into his room and started packing. He would travel light and the packing didn’t take him long.

 

He was capable to smile again. When he got out of his room people were actually surprised to see Donghae smile.

 

There’s no way to keep Donghae longer in the guest room or in the city. They walked (maybe ran) Donghae to the city gate. Soon it’s time to say goodbye. “Good-bye” means saying bye for good right?

 

……

 

Out of nowhere a shadow flickered. Suddenly Eunhyuk appeared beside Donghae.

 

Once again his presence stunned everyone.

 

Eyes locked on Eunhyuk it took some time before Donghae could speak again. “Eunhyuk… Why…?”

 

Eunhyuk looked sideway, tilting his head a little, and pouted (that was close to Hyukjae’s pout). “You know… I can’t… let you do this alone…”

 

Heart racing, joy was surging out from the innermost core of him. Naturally, wearing a wide grin, Donghae raised his hand to grab Eunhyuk’s shoulder.

 

Eunhyuk turned his head to look at Donghae. Donghae halted. Smile faded from his face.

 

If it was Hyukjae Donghae would have pulled the other into his arms; and embrace him tightly. But it’s Eunhyuk…

 

They locked eyes with one another… frozen…

 

Donghae… Whatever you’re trying to do, finish it… Don’t be… like this…

 

The most genuine smile formed on Donghae’s face. Donghae pulled Eunhyuk in, who rested his head on Donghae’s shoulder.

 

Siwon gasped. He had never seen a smile so genuine on Donghae’s face. He had never seen his hyung beaming with so much joy. Eunhyuk was just… amazing…

 

If it was Hyukjae there would not be any uneasiness or awkwardness. Hyukjae would have just buried himself in Donghae's embrace. But it’s Eunhyuk…

 

Eunhyuk’s body was stiff. And he didn’t hug Donghae back.

 

Nevertheless Eunhyuk smiled. Corner of his mouth had curled into a smile. That cast a spell on everyone. Have you seen a vampire smile? Not smirk but really a whole-hearted smile. Isn’t that amazing?

 

It’s again sunset. The 2 of them would begin their journey. They would walk down the road to redemption.

 

 

----------------------------

A/N: It's so long... was tempted to release part 3. It would hv been longer but I had to cut it coz... it's getting late and I'm getting tired... @_@ PLEASE!!!! Enjoy reading PLEASE!!!!

A/N2: The story finally begins!!! ^^