The Cause (Part 1)

The Road to Redemption

“Princess your Majesty…

To you I surrender my soul…

Take me as your slave…

Forever you are my master…

Whatever you ask of me I will gladly give…

Your wish will always be my calling…

Never will I hesitate… Never will I utter a word…”

 

“It’s your blood I ask for…”

 

“Then I will pour out all my blood until the very last droplet…”

 

“Very well. Your wish is granted…”

 

……

 

Who was the most powerful vampire before Eunhyuk? You don’t have to wait long. Soon you would meet that person.

 

They were powerful due to different reasons.

 

Eunhyuk could hardly be contained by any magical field. Yes some catchers might be strong enough to give him hindrance. But with magic still flowing in his veins, Eunhyuk could always counter the magic wrapped around him. He could break the field with his power if he allowed himself to. His real hindrance might be really… Hyukjae inside him.

 

And as I explained before, without the catcher, without the magic there’s limited what the slayer could do.

 

But this person or vampire soon you’re going to meet… was different.

 

Martial arts are something which one can take a life time to master, if that someone is already talented.

 

Vampire slayers would have to go through extremely tough trainings in order to grasp the arts of combat. Nevertheless how many years did they have? 5? 10?

 

What if there’s someone who’s talented, and that someone was given not just a life time but centuries? That someone would be more than perfect. That someone would be like a ghost.

 

Though restrained and hindered by magic, this person was still powerful enough to take down many slayers.

 

……

 

It was summer time. It was mid-night. Under a clear night sky, with stars twinkling and showering blessings onto them, beside a silver stream flowing peacefully humming the most romantic melody Donghae and Hyukjae lay side by side.

 

Hyukjae stared into the night sky and was awed by its beauty. Twinkling of the stars somehow reminded him about something else… something familiar… What’s that?

 

… Donghae’s sparkling eyes…

 

Suddenly he saw Donghae’s face right in front of him. Donghae’s sparkling and smiling eyes were looking right into Hyukjae’s. And the tips of their noses were touching each other. Really? Hyukkie…?

 

Those sparkling eyes blinked. Donghae let out an evil grin. And Hyukjae found himself fallen victim to the spell just cast by Donghae.

 

Even though it was night time, Donghae could still see the cheeks of Hyukjae were tinged red. More precious was the timid pout on Hyukjae’s face. Widening his grin Donghae held the other tighter.

 

Cheeks burning Hyukjae very much wanted to escape those eyes which were fully capable of seeing through him, right into the very core of his heart. Nevertheless he was firmly locked in the other’s embrace. Biting his lip he tilted his head to one side… That’s all he could do…

 

… Donghae… let go of me…

 

Donghae’s eyes were captured by those lips which he always wondered would taste like strawberries. Again he gently tapped them and pointed at his own face. Hyukkie… not that easy… you know what to do…

 

Though his inner voice told him not to, Hyukjae couldn’t help but shifted his eyes to look at Donghae. As he expected Donghae was wearing that triumphant smile. The next moment Donghae raised an eyebrow and winked. And then slowly and teasingly Donghae pressed his face against Hyukjae’s. Hyukkie… I am waiting…

 

His heart pounding against his ribcage Hyukjae slowly turned his head and planted a soft kiss onto Donghae’s cheek. It was not a quick peck like last time… but really a soft, loving, sweet and tender kiss. That really really melted Donghae’s heart. For some seconds he thought his heart stopped, he thought time was frozen. Nothing was taking place in the whole world but that wonderful kiss…

 

Though it lasted longer than last time, still to Donghae it was too short. He closed his eyes to recall each and every split second; from the instant when those lips touched his cheek, to the instant when those lips were gently pressing against his face, and then to the instant when a stream of love began to flow from the kiss into his heart, carrying along warmth and sweetness filling his whole body and paralyzing his veins…

 

It was just a simple kiss but it captured his soul right away. Donghae didn’t stand a chance but to surrender his whole person. Trembling slightly he raised his head and looked at Hyukjae. For some time Donghae could do nothing except looking into those innocent eyes of Hyukjae, except lovingly caressing Hyukjae’s face.

 

He didn’t see this coming. Slowly tears were welling up in his eyes and indescribable emotions filled his insides. The tears twinkled and dropped from Donghae’s eyes onto Hyukjae’s face. Hyukjae’s eyes widened with concern. “Donghae…?”

 

Shaking his head Donghae hushed Hyukjae and smiled. Don’t speak… Don’t move… Just listen…

 

Holding Hyukjae tighter Donghae planted a tender kiss onto Hyukjae’s face. More tears came out of his eyes. Hyukkie… I love you… With all my heart… sincerely… Hyukkie… I love you… Never… ever… leave me… OK? Please?

 

It was like Donghae’s tears elicited the same from Hyukjae’s eyes. As tears streamed down his cheeks, softly Hyukjae hugged Donghae back. Donghae… you know my heart…

 

The night sky was clear. Stars were twinkling and showering blessings onto them both. The river was flowing peacefully and humming the most romantic melody. It was a beautiful mid-summer night.

 

……

 

They were travelling west. A few days later they would arrive at a village which was just wiped off from the earth. That’s a vampire’s doing of course.

 

As they stepped into the village they couldn’t help clenching their fists. That reminded them of what called them to becoming vampire hunters at the first place. The pain of losing their loved ones, the determination to avenge them, the calling to cleanse the world from those wretched creatures…

 

Without warning, they were devoured by the chill, the thickness in air, the awful feeling, the presence… The vampire was still in the village!!

 

Alerted both of them spread their senses and looked around. They heard a giggle.

 

“Welcome oppa. Let’s play hide-and-seek.” Like a phantom she appeared. Far away she stood, wearing a blood red kimono. Her face was the white of marble. Her lips were the black of eternal darkness. Wind was rustling those sleeves making them look like blood pulsing through the veins. Her long black hair was dancing in the wind making her more phantom-like. Though she was far away, both of them could see (or feel) the smirk on her face.

 

She called them oppa. And she indeed looked younger (like a 15-year-old girl) she had definitely been dwelling much much longer on earth. The next instant she floated away like a ghost. The 2 of them quickly ran after.

 

As they ran Hyukjae warned. Donghae… her presence is weird…

 

Frowning Donghae nodded. He agreed with Hyukjae but he couldn’t tell why the presence felt weird…

 

Turning a corner daggers were shot at them.

 

Clank Clank Clank Clank Clank…

 

Raising their swords they blocked all the daggers. Then they heard the giggle from above.

 

“Not bad oppa.” Creepy smirk on her face she jumped from the roof of the house and landed in front of Donghae. Clawed hand extended she darted forward. Her crimson red eyes flashed.

 

She was blocked by a silver shield. She was even awed by the blinding silver light cast by the magical field. Nevertheless…

 

Clank Clank

 

2 more daggers were fired like thunderbolts. One at Donghae. One at Hyukjae. They were fired with unbelievable speed and accuracy, right towards their hearts. The daggers met their swords again. Seriously if the slayer was not Donghae; if the catcher was not Hyukjae they would have been dead already. No need to mention Hyukjae was still capable of maintaining the magical field the whole time.

 

A little explanation is required here.

 

Magic had an effect on vampires. Magic could chain vampires. It slowed them down. It absorbed their power. By strengthening the magical field a shield could even be set in place to block vampires.

 

But what would happen to the daggers thrown by a vampire in a magical field?

 

It would be better than if the vampire was allowed to do the same outside a magical field. The daggers were not shot with the vampire’s full power.

 

Could magic slow the daggers down? Could magic block them?

 

It’s not a no. But that would be difficult.

 

The vampire swirled around Donghae. From afar it looked like a fire was burning around him. Her giggling went on. Unceasing sparks flashed with the flame as countless daggers kept shooting out of it. The daggers were tiny but lethal. And it looked like she had an unlimited supply of them.

 

Seeing that Hyukjae was really scared. He was sweating and an awful feeling, adding to that from the vampire presence, started to form in his stomach. He drew upon all strength in him to chain her. She could not touch Donghae. But her daggers…

 

For the time being her daggers could not harm Donghae yet, who was capable of dodging and blocking them… for the time being. That would mean Donghae could not spare any moment to counter attack. It was just a matter of time…

 

before Donghae became exhausted..

 

before Donghae could no longer dodge and block…

 

before Donghae got hurt…

 

before Donghae got killed…

 

NO!!! Hyukjae gasped. He couldn’t allow that moment to come.

 

Donghae! Just focus on stabbing her. I will make sure nothing touches you!

 

I said it was not a no. To block physical objects it demanded extremely powerful magic. Few on earth possessed that power.

 

Hyukjae did.

 

But please do not forget Hyukjae had to contain the vampire at the same time. That was difficult, if not impossible. And it could not last long.

 

Donghae knew he had to act fast. Secured in a protective shield Donghae wasted no time and made stabs one after another. Nevertheless every stab he made was always a split second too late.

 

That’s because part of the magical power on the vampire was taken away to block those daggers from Donghae. The vampire had become faster.

 

……

 

Though Hyukjae didn’t say a word Donghae knew the time he had was fast slipping away. There were just a few grains of sand left in the upper part of the hourglass… Another grain had just slipped down…

 

Sweat rolled down Donghae’s forehead. He bit his lip.

 

It’s his last chance.

 

It’s their last chance.

 

She was on his right side. Quickly Donghae his sword towards her. Giggling she shifted towards his left. It would be too slow if he attempted another stab. Instead Donghae tilted his sword. With a graceful motion tip of his sword took an abrupt turn, followed her body, flashed under the sun…

 

sliced open her flesh and pierced all the way through her heart.

 

……

 

The giggling stopped. She glared at Donghae.

 

It all happened at the same time.

 

Just when Donghae was about to sigh in relief he saw her smirk.

 

Donghae heard a noise behind him.

 

Donghae felt searing pain burning his stomach.

 

……

 

The next second…

 

Donghae tightened his grip on his sword. It had penetrated her heart indeed…

 

Donghae looked down. His other hand touched his stomach instinctively. There’s no bleeding. Nothing happened. He’s not injured.

 

Donghae’s heart stopped.

 

Tears burst out of Donghae’s eyes as the brutal realization hit him. If it’s not Donghae himself… it’s…

 

… Hyukkie…

 

At that time the vampire spoke. “Good job… Jiro…” Her smirk was the creepiest when those crimson eyes flashed their last glow…

 

“Thank you. Princess your Majesty…” A faintly familiar voice spoke behind Donghae.

 

And then… Donghae heard those familiar words again. He’s not sure if his heart could take them. They were so heart-melting, heart-paralyzing, heart-piercing, heart-breaking, heart-stopping… The sweetness, the bitterness, the pain, the anguish, the dread, the horror… were just too much…

 

You’re the most precious part of me…

 

I will guard you with my life…

 

Donghae…

 

I…

 

Love…

 

You…

 

……

 

This was it. In the previous chapters I have been teasing you, trying to trick you into believing that those were the moments. Sorry about that. I’m not teasing you anymore.

 

This was it. It happened when they were at the age of 18.

 

The presence felt weird because there were 2 vampires. And they were those who killed their families years back…

 

 

--------------------------------------

A/N: Been busy but feel good I can release a chapter. OK it's only part 1. Cliff hanger... sorry every story has to have (at least) one right?