HaeHyuk (Part 1)

The Road to Redemption

When they turned around both Eunhyuk and Donghae found someone approaching.

 

……

 

Nina came to stand in front of Donghae.

 

“Oppa…” The look on Nina told Donghae that something was up.

 

“What’s wrong Nina?”

 

Nina bit her lip. She looked down and hesitated, reasoning within as to whether she should continue. Some time later she took a deep breath, raised her head and looked at Donghae.

 

“Mina is confronting Eunhyuk. I’m going to join her.”

 

Donghae was tongue-tied. Nina continued. “I came here out of 2 reasons. I know he did spare us last time. Maybe…” She shook her head to sweep the idea from her mind. No he’s still a vampire. We hunters should definitely bring him down at any cost. “More importantly I love Mina. Donghae oppa I beg for your help… It’s… nevertheless your choice… I’m going to Mina now… Farewell…”

 

Quickly Nina turned to leave, not allowing herself to look back, not giving way to any hesitation.

 

Donghae’s expression was like he’s wearing a mask. Quietly he took his sword. “… Siwon… looks like we have further work to do…” Donghae followed right away. There’s no reason for him to hesitate. He pledged that vow long long time ago…

 

As Siwon joined Donghae he examined the other. Hyung… so you have finally convinced yourself…? Have you?

 

……

 

Both Eunhyuk and Mina didn’t break the silence.

 

Finally Mina bowed her head and spoke. “I know you spared us last time. I believe you have nothing to do with any killings in the southern part of our city. I bet you killed the duke out of good heart.”

 

Eunhyuk remained silent.

 

“I have no doubt you are not like the other vampires who are just out there to kill and feed and have fun sometimes. Believe me. You have earned the most sincere respect and gratitude from my heart.” She bowed her head again.

 

Still Eunhyuk remained silent.

 

“Unfortunately despite all that I still have to fight you. Not just because I am a vampire hunter and that you are a vampire. You should know one day you will lose control. One day your effort will become futile. One day you will kill out of your thirst for blood. One day you will become like the other vampires.” Mina stated articulately.

 

Corner of Eunhyuk’s mouth twitched. That’s the most horrible speech he had ever listened to. Each syllable mercilessly punched a hole in him.

 

Mina continued. “Before that day comes we, by we I mean you and us vampire hunters, have to do something. Kindly I ask you to let us finish you. I have you contained in my magic. I know it’s something you can easily break. I know if that’s broken it’s going to signal the end of my life. And I will not regret. It will be a clear manifestation to you; that you, a vampire, cannot be spared.”

 

Nina came to stand beside Mina. They exchanged a glance and a smile, acknowledging understanding. Slowly but with determination, Nina drew her swords out of the sheaths and walked towards Eunhyuk.

 

……

 

“I will fight him!” Suddenly Donghae appeared and called out.

 

Everyone looked at Donghae, whose eyes were fixed on Eunhyuk. “Siwon. Set the magical field up.”

 

Donghae strode and took the position paces away from Eunhyuk, who remained standing still. Siwon wasted no time to guard Donghae and trap Eunhyuk with his magic.

 

Mina and Nina examined Donghae. His expression was grim. It seemed he’s convinced and certain that he’s doing the right thing. Silently they retreated from the battlefield.

 

The best hunter was going to fight the most powerful vampire.

 

People started to gather. No vampire hunter would allow himself / herself to miss that fight. Not only vampire hunters, a lot of others were interested as well. And Henry was there of course, carefully hiding himself from his sisters though.

 

Eunhyuk didn’t move. Gazing at Donghae his face revealed nothing.

 

……

 

Yet he spoke all of a sudden. “She’s right. One day I will become one of them.”

 

As Donghae looked at Eunhyuk he tightened his grip on his sword. He reminded himself of the vow he pledged long long time ago…

 

Hyukkie… you are the most precious part of me… I will guard you with my life…

 

……

 

Eunhyuk felt a fire burning at the back of his throat. He’s not sure if that’s because he’s being consumed by anger; or that he’s overwhelmed and suffocated by what he just sensed from Donghae. What’s this? Eunhyuk couldn’t speak. He gritted his teeth. He clenched his fists. His body trembled.

 

… You are the most precious part of me… I will guard you with my life…

 

……

 

Let us now go some 20 years back. By the way do you still remember your childhood time? Things just seemed simpler back then right? When you met someone new it clicked and you became friends easily. You would not think if it’s worth to be friend with that person. You would not doubt if you guys could really be friends. You just offered your pure and innocent heart; and made pure and innocent friends. There’s no fear of getting hurt… rejected… or betrayed…

 

Until one point someone let us down. Things changed and became complicated. Our hearts were frozen. We protected ourselves by building layers of walls around. We thought we were better off left like that. We held desperately on to the feeling of security those walls seemed to provide. We lost the ability to connect to others, to touch others, to understand others, to love others…

 

More importantly we gave up the part of our lives which allowed us to be connected, to be touched, to be understood, to… be… loved…

 

Due to this very reason at another point we let others down, unknowingly wrenched the capability to love from their lives. We contributed to building walls in this world.

 

Until one day we woke up; completely losing the touch of love. It’s something alien. Even if love was standing right in front of us we couldn’t recognize. We didn’t know what that was. We’re frightened. We backed off. We recoiled. “Who are you? I don’t know you! Go away!” we said. We knew love no more.

 

Still we believed we were better off living inside the prison. The lack of love continued to wear us down. Our souls were drained because of that. Our inside, pained, smothered and dying, screamed and protested to no avail. We accused others of being cold-hearted. We concluded that there’s no love in this world. Where is love? Where?

 

Some 20 years ago…was the childhood time of Eunhae…

 

One day Donghae got out of the house and saw someone his age in the front yard next door. That somebody was playing with a puppy. He walked over.

 

“It’s so cute! What’s its name?” Donghae asked.

 

“Nah it doesn’t have a name yet. It came here some days ago with an injured leg. Appa and I treated it and now it seems OK.” The other person looked at Donghae, smiled and shifted his attention to the puppy again.

 

Oh that’s awesome! I like puppies as well. But appa and umma don’t approve…

 

“No problem. We can keep this puppy in my house. Let’s give it a name shall we?”

 

Donghae stared at the other. “Did… did you just hear me?”

 

With a confused expression the other person looked at Donghae. “Why? Of course I could hear you.”

 

Donghae’s eyes widened. So can you hear me now?

 

The other looked at Donghae with widened eyes as well. Oh!!! Yes I can hear you!!! Can you hear me?

 

YES!!! I don’t know people can talk like this!!! So cool!! What’s your name?

 

Lee Hyukjae. And you?

 

Lee Donghae.

 

Both of them smiled so wide and couldn’t take their eyes off each other.

 

Click.

 

Two souls were connected. A bond, pure and strong, was formed. Love, true and deep, flowed.

 

……

 

It once flowed.

 

Until… that bitter moment… love… once… flowed…

 

 

---------------------------------------------

A/N: This chapter is long so I cut it in half. Hope you are happy about the "past". ^^