Henry and Siwon

The Road to Redemption

Donghae’s eyes never left Eunhyuk. He didn’t even want to blink. Maybe this is the last time I see him…

 

Image of Eunhyuk dwindled to a tiny dot and then dissolved into the forest. A feeling of emptiness and helplessness washed over Donghae.

 

Hearing footsteps approaching from behind Donghae quickly wiped his tears away. He squeezed his eyes shut so as to suppress the bitterness and pain just brought into his mind by the most beautiful and stunning vision on earth.

 

“Why did you let him go oppa?” Mina came to stand beside Donghae. Grimly she asked.

 

I wish I could make him stay... I wish I could more than anybody else…

 

He knew he somehow bent the code of vampire hunters. “Sorry Mina. To fight him I need a stronger magical field… How is Nina?” He made something up. He’s never good at that.

 

Mina pursed her lips. OK it didn’t feel good but she understood she’s not strong enough. Nevertheless it didn’t escape her eyes that there’s something more hanging in the air. Oppa you are hiding something.

 

Mina considered pressing Donghae further, but dropped the idea when Nina came and spoke beside her. “Mina has repositioned my arm. It’s not a big deal. Don’t worry.” Gently Mina held Nina in her arms and started walking towards the city.

 

Donghae didn’t follow. After several steps Nina stopped. She exchanged a glance with Mina before she spoke. “Oppa… thanks for saving us. If you don’t mind, may we invite you over for dinner? My brother would be more than delighted to meet you.”

 

With that Mina laughed. “Oh yes. Henry will be so thrilled.”

 

……

 

Upon entering the house Mina yelled. “HENRY~~~”

 

No reply.

 

“HENRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANSWER ME!!!!”

 

“I AM BUSY~~~~~”

 

“HENRY YOUR SISTER JUST GOT HURT!!!”

 

No reply.

 

Mina puffed her cheeks out. “HENRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

“TAKE CARE AND BE CAREFUL IN THE FUTURE. I AM REALLY BUSY OVER HERE~~~~”

 

Mina sighed. “HENRY I SWEAR YOU WILL REGRET FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IF YOU DON’T COME DOWN RIGHT NOW!!!”

 

“MINA YOU ALWAYS SAY THAT. I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS ARTICLE ABOUT LEE DONGHAE!”

 

Donghae was confused. Both Mina and Nina looked at him and chuckled. “OH YES THAT ARTICLE MUST BE VERY INTERESTING. JUST WE HAVE A VISITOR AND HIS NAME HAPPENS TO BE LEE DONGHAE!”

 

Something (or someone) dropped onto the floor upstairs.

 

“YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!”

 

“HEY YOU SHOULD KNOW YOUR IDOL IS IN TOWN AND YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOUR SISTERS DO!”

 

A door was banged open, followed by the sound of rushing footsteps. And then the next thing Donghae knew was a young fellow rolled down the stairs and groaned at the bottom of it.

 

Donghae quickly walked over. “Are you OK?”

 

Henry grinned at Donghae and scrambled himself up. “YOU ARE LEE DONGHAE? THE ONLY PLATINUM VAMPIRE HUNTER?”

 

Donghae nodded and before he could comprehend Henry disappeared. Sounds of rummaging came from upstairs. Minutes later Henry bounced down the stairs carrying several scrolls in his hands; and a quill pen in his mouth. He came to stand in front of Donghae.

 

Excited Henry spread a scroll on the table and took the quill pen in his hand. “Donghae hyung I’m currently doing a research about you. I’ve read all books about you I could find. And I’ve been collecting all relevant articles. Is it possible that I ask you some questions? Like what aspired you at the first place to be a vampire hunter?” Henry looked at Donghae expectantly.

 

Donghae liked Henry. He’s cute and innocent after all. But what Henry just asked was like a stab in his heart. Donghae bit his lip as he didn’t know how to react. He couldn’t lie in front of Henry’s innocent eyes. However he couldn’t answer the question either. That would bring back so much pain… so many memories he had worked so hard to bury and seal…

 

Fortunately Mina came to his rescue. “Henry how can you treat our guest like this? Stop bombarding Donghae oppa with questions! Now come and help me out!”

 

Mina dragged Henry into the kitchen, who whined and protested on the way.

 

That left Donghae and Nina in the sitting room. “Sorry oppa. I hope you don’t mind Henry. He’s obsessed with vampires. And vampire hunters.”

 

“No not at all…” Donghae shook his head and smiled. “You said he’s obsessed?”

 

Nina nodded. “Yes that’s the only thing he does. Studying vampires and vampire hunters. He probably knows more about vampires than us.”

 

… Maybe he would know…

 

Seeing Donghae deep in thoughts Nina frowned and didn’t disturb him. Oppa why are you so downcast… ever since you met…

 

They didn’t have to wait long before Mina announced dinner was ready. At the dining table Donghae told them they should look for a vampire named Rosie.

 

“Oh she’s the first vampire! Wearing a black dress with red lacings, they said she’s just like her name, a fully blossomed rose with spikes. And she likes taverns since she likes to drink. And handsomes of course. I really would like to meet her.” Henry said and earned warning glares from both her sisters. He pouted and shut up.

 

“How do you know oppa?” Mina asked.

 

“Eunhyuk told me…”

 

“EUNHYUK?! DID YOU MEAN LEE EUNHYUK? OH I HAVE TO MEET HIM!!! I HAVE TO MEET HIM!!!!! IS HE IN TOWN AS WELL?” This time he earned a whack from Mina.

 

“Henry stop it!! You should know vampires are dangerous!!” Mina frowned and gave Henry a serious look, who rubbed the back of his head and pursed his lips.

 

“Of course I know! I know more than you!!!” Henry made a face; and Mina could only sigh.

 

Seeing that Donghae couldn’t help laughing. He laughed genuinely, temporarily forgetting about the things bothering him. Warmth and laughter filled the house. Everyone enjoyed the evening.

 

… Welll… not everyone actually…

 

That evening they had crescent moon. The moon was overseeing the city, outshining the stars nearby.

 

Outside the house, outside the city, somewhere in the forest, someone was accompanied by loneliness. Eunhyuk settled himself on the branch of a tree. He looked up at the moon and buried himself in reminiscences.

 

Memories are beautiful… But they pain me so much… Donghae… Why did you bring them back? Why don’t you ever let go?

 

There’s no need to mention eternity. Just this evening was too long… when your only companion was your own shadow…

 

……

 

As Donghae reached the inn he saw that someone was waiting for him.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Oh you have arrived Siwon!” Donghae embraced Siwon into a big brotherly hug. It’s always good to see a friend, especially when you’re in a foreign city.

 

Siwon looked at Donghae for some time. “So… did you find him hyung?”

 

Donghae nodded and looked down.

 

Siwon examined Donghae. He knew from the look on the other that the encounter probably didn’t turn out well.

 

“Hyung… I know I’m in no position to say anything. Please bear with me this time. I’m sorry to say that but… he’s a vampire. We all pledged the vow that…”

 

“OK Siwon. You must be very tired after the trip. Go get some rest. We have work to do. There’s a vampire called Rosie and we need to hunt her down.” Donghae forced a smile, grabbed Siwon by his shoulder and ushered him towards the guest rooms.

 

Yes he’s a vampire… this fact never stops tormenting me…

 

The next day they set off to work very early in the morning. They began the search from the south, which was then extended northwards. Though a lot of hunters were involved and they worked all day long, there’s still no trace of Rosie.

 

Frustrated the 2 of them went back to the inn. “Maybe she left already. It’s just not possible that a search so extensive revealed nothing!!” Donghae grunted and threw himself onto a chair by a table.

 

“Hyung don’t be like this. On the positive side nobody was killed by vampires anymore. At least we managed to achieve that. Come on! Let me go get us something to drink. Tomorrow is another day. Stay positive!” Siwon patted Donghae’s shoulder and walked towards the barman.

 

Good that you’re always so encouraging Siwon.Donghae smiled as he turned his head and watched the other.

 

……

 

Suddenly someone tripped and fell down by his side. Donghae stood up and was about to reach out to help.

 

…Wait…

 

His sharpened hunter sense warned him. Alerted at that split second Donghae examined that person. Black dress… red lacings…

 

He halted and strained his senses. He felt it. She’s a vampire… even when she’s so close her presence is mild… She’s powerful…

 

That person looked up. “Oh… I thought you’re going to help me… You’re not being a gentleman my dear Mr. handsome…” She straightened herself up, fixed her gaze on Donghae as she slowly walked to take the seat opposite, tracing the edge of the table with her finger on the way.

 

Donghae considered his options. He could fight her right away. She’s close enough. One sudden stab aimed at her heart would do. He stood a chance. Nevertheless he didn’t want to take any chance. She would probably escape. He needed Siwon’s magic. That meant he had to play the game, and pray that Siwon could get the cue.

 

He sat back down and faked a smile. “Sorry I was charmed by you. May I ask what your name is my dear Miss beauty?”

 

The corner of curled into a smile. She rested her chin on her hand, raised an eyebrow and stared into his eyes as she answered; her gaze was that from a predator. “Rosie.”

 

Slowly Donghae closed his hand over the hilt of his sword…

 

 

---------------------------

A/N: I would v much like to have a brother like Henry! ^^

A/N2: Are you guys all left speechless by "Eunhae"? I mean there were not many comments this time. ^^