Chapter 17

My Roommate is A BOY?!

3rd Person POV~

The day had come for Baekhyun and Sumi's dinner date, so he got ready at Chanyeol's house with the others helping him get ready. Meanwhile, Jinyoung was going on a date with Sarang, so she was also getting ready with the help of Sora. 
 
"Why are you going on a dinner date with some other girl and not Sarang?" Kyungsoo asked as he tied Baekhyun's tie around his neck. 
 
"I have my reasons," he said, buttoning up his cuffs. Kyungsoo clicked his tongue and shook his head. "What?"
 
"You like this girl, don't you?" he asked. Baekhyun scoffed and shook his head. 
 
"I told you, I have my reasons to go on a date with this girl and liking that girl is not a reason," he said as Kyungsoo finished tying his tie. 
 
"Then what are the reasons?" Suho asked, who was fixing Baekhyun's hair for him.
 
"Why do you guys want to know so bad?" he asked, blowing his fringes out of his eyes. 
 
"Can't your hyung be curious?" Suho snickered and finished up some last touches. "Uwah~ you look handsome."
 
"I was born like this," Baekhyun snickered and lightly tugged on his blazer, fixing it. "Well, I'm going."
 
"Are you really not going to tell us?" Suho asked as Baekhyun was already out the door. "Jeez, this kid."
 
He bought some roses and headed to the park where he'd meet Sumi. 
 
Sarang had finished getting ready and met Jinyoung in front of the campus gates. They both got in the car and headed out to a restaurant to have their dinner date. 
 
"It's been awhile since we've last had our date, hasn't it?" Jinyoung asked as she nodded. "Did you miss having our dates?"
 
"Just a bit, but I got used to it," she answered with a smile. "But then again, being able to have a nice dinner with you makes me happy."
 
He looked at her and grabbed her hand, gently squeezing it. 
 
"I'm happy too, because I'm with you," he said with a smile. 
 
Baekhyun sat on a bench waiting for Sumi, when he heard heels clicking on the ground. He looked up and saw Sumi in a black high-low chiffon dress, walking towards him with a smile. He smiled at her and stood up, handing her the bouquet. 
 
"You look beautiful tonight," he said as she blushed. 
 
"Thank you," she said, avoiding eye contact. "You look handsome."
 
He chuckled and smiled. 
 
"Shall we get going?" he asked and stuck his arm out as she wrapped her arms around his. They both got in a car Baekhyun rented and drove off to the restaurant they had reservations for. 
 
"Did I make you wait long?" Sumi asked, trying to break the awkward silence. 
 
"You did, but that's fine. At least you showed up," Baekhyun smiled. "Your beauty made up for it."
 
She smiled and looked out the window, silence taking over once again. They had endured the awkward atmosphere and arrived at the restaurant, walking up to the restaurant. A waiter had lead them to their seats when they both saw that one person. What is Sarang and Jinyoung doing here?
 
"Why is Jinyoung here?" Sumi whispered as she looked up to Baekhyun. He furrowed his eyebrows and grabbed her hand, taking a deep breath before having to walk past their table. 
 
Sarang saw him and rounded her eyes. Baekhyun?
 
Jinyoung had noticed her expression and looked towards the entrance, seeing Sumi, making him round his eyes. Why are they here?
 
Baekhyun lead Sumi to the table, walking right past Sarang and Jinyoung, not even taking one glance at them. Sarang felt her heart squeeze a bit and continued to watch Baekhyun walk away further from her. He had a girlfriend this whole time?
 
Baekhyun and Sumi took their seats and looked at the menu, feeling eyes on them from Sarang and Jinyoung. A waiter had distracted Sarang and Jinyoung as he was taking their orders. Baekhyun and Sumi were also having their orders taken from a waiter. 
 
Baekhyun looked over to Sarang as they met eyes; both looked away and focused on their date. 
 
"I hope this place isn't too fancy for you," Baekhyun said to Sumi, who smiled and shook her head. 
 
"I just hope it's not too expensive," she said and sipped her cup of water. "Why did you choose this place anyways?"
 
"Ahh, it's because I wanted to take you somewhere nice. To be honest, this is my first time going on a date with a girl, so I thought of this place," he said with a sweet smile. She smiled back and drunk from her cup again. 
 
"Oppa, why did you choose this place?" Sarang asked Jinyoung, who was too busy thinking about what Sumi and Baekhyun were talking about. "Oppa."
 
"Huh?" he asked as she slumped back in her chair. 
 
"Nothing," she said and looked at Baekhyun, who was smiling and laughing with Sumi. I thought he only laughed and smiled with me like that, but I guess I was expecting too much.
 
Sarang still had no idea that Sumi was the girl that Jinyoung had been hanging out with, but she still felt envious of her because she was able to laugh and smile with Baekhyun. Sarang and Jinyoung's food had arrived with Baekhyun and Sumi's arriving shortly after. Both couple had silently ate and had their minds on the opposite partners. Baekhyun and Jinyoung seemed to have eaten in peace, but Sumi couldn't stop looking at Jinyoung as Sarang couldn't stop looking at Baekhyun. 
 
"Who do you keep looking at?" Baekhyun asked as Sumi faced him, startled. 
 
"A-ah, it's no one. I was looking at the fish tank," she forcefully smiled and continued to cut her steak, but she was having trouble. Baekhyun grabbed her fork and knife, cutting the steak into pieces for her while Sarang watched him. She looked down to her plate of steak and she too couldn't cut it, but Jinyoung didn't do anything about it; he didn't even notice she was having trouble. 
 
"Are you not hungry?" Jinyoung asked, looking at Sarang hold her fork and knife. 
 
"It's not that," she smiled and slowly cut her steak. He sighed and glanced behind him to Baekhyun's table, seeing that he was feeding Sumi. Baekhyun took a quick glance at Sarang and saw her struggling to cut the steak in front of her; he wanted to walk over there and cut it for her, but he didn't want to ruin their date so he stayed put and ate his food. 
 
"Oppa, why did you suddenly ask me to have dinner with you?" Sumi asked, finishing up her food. Baekhyun wiped his lips and looked at her, setting his napkin on his plate. 
 
"Do you want me to be honest with you?" he asked as Sumi nodded. "Will you be honest with me too?"
 
She didn't know what he meant by that, but she nodded and set her napkin aside. Baekhyun leaned back against his chair and stared at her, then to Jinyoung and Sarang. She, too, turned her head to them. 
 
"Shall we talk for real now?" he asked in a firm tone, making her heart beat fast; she suddenly felt scared of what was to come. "You're envious, aren't you?"
 
She turned around with round eyes. "What?"
 
"Sarang, you're envious of her, aren't you?" Baekhyun asked, leaning over the table. "Because she's Jinyoung's girlfriend."
 
"H-how'd you know? About her and Jinyoung?" Sumi asked as Baekhyun snickered. 
 
"It's a long story," he said. "But I want to know, what are your intentions on Jinyoung? Are you going to take him away from her?"
 
"I-I don't intend on doing that," she said, stuttering her words. "I couldn't never take him away from her. I'm not that bad of a person."
 
"Then why are you always with him?" he asked as Sumi furrowed her eyebrows. 
 
"Did you only ask me to have dinner with you, so you could ask me all of this?" she asked as he nodded. "Why would you-"
 
"Because of you, Sarang's heart has been uneasy," he said as Sumi swallowed hard. "Not only that, but Jinyoung's been lying a lot too because of you."
 
"I never asked him to lie for me," she said, looking down to her hands. 
 
"You like Jinyoung, don't you?" Baekhyun asked as she bit her bottom lip, nodding. 
 
"I seem to fall for him more and more by the day," she admitted. Baekhyun sighed and sat straight up. "I'll be very honest with you. Ever since I moved here to Korea, I had no one to depend on besides my parents, but then I met Jinyoung because we were classmates. He showed me around and helped me and without noticing it, I started to fall in love with him. I had confessed to him, but he told me he was already in a relationship, so I tried to stop loving him somehow."
 
"But you couldn't?" Baekhyun asked as she nodded. 
 
"All I could do was have him by my side and love him from there without having to interfere in his relationship, but because of me, he had to lie and miss out on dates with Sarang," she said, tearing up. "But I never intended to hurt Sarang and I never intended to take Jinyoung away from her. I just wanted him by my side."
 
"Isn't that the same?" Baekhyun asked as she looked up at him. "Wanting him by your side, isn't that just like taking him away from her? Because he's been by your side and never with her, haven't you taken him away already?"
 
She didn't say anything and pressed her lips together. 
 
"You may have not taken his heart fully, but you have taken his existence from her," Baekhyun said handing her a clean napkin to wipe her tears. Jinyoung looked at them and saw her crying, making him angry. 
 
"You're a good girl and I know it, but what you're doing is wrong," he said as she looked up at him. 
 
"Have you ever been in love?" she suddenly asked. He traveled his eyes down to his hands and fiddled his fingers. 
 
"I am in love-"
 
"Then you'd understand why I'm doing this," she said as he shook his head. 
 
"I don't understand anything," he said with a smile. "I understand that when you have a one-sided love, all you want to do is make that person yours, but then again, you're taking away that person's happiness. I don't want to see the girl I love hurt, but I don't want her hurt because of me, so seeing her being happy is enough for me. Therefore, I don't understand what you're doing."
 
Sumi looked at Baekhyun with her tears running down and she stood up, excusing herself to the restroom. He sighed and looked at the hallway that lead to the bathroom, then to Jinyoung and Sarang. He had met eyes with Jinyoung and knew what those eyes had said, so Baekhyun stood up and headed to the the mens' bathroom.
 
"I'll be back, I need to use the restroom," Jinyoung said and got up, heading to the restroom, following Baekhyun behind. Both entering the bathroom, Baekhyun leaned against the sink, looking at Jinyoung. 
 
"What is it?" he asked Jinyoung, who clenched his fist. 
 
"What did you do to Sumi?" Jinyoung firmly asked. "Why was she crying?"
 
"Why are you so worried?" Baekhyun asked, turning around to look at himself in the mirror. "You should worry about your date, not mine."
 
"How can I not worry?" Jinyoung firmly asked, grabbing Baekhyun's collar and pushing him against then wall, but he stayed calm. 
 
"Let me ask you this, Jinyoung-ssi," he said as Jinyoung widened his eyes. 
 
"How do you know my name? Who are you?" he asked, but Baekhyun ignored that question. 
 
"If Sumi was to run out of here crying, would you run after her too?" Baekhyun asked as Jinyoung clenched his jaw. "You noticed Sumi crying, but why didn't you notice Sarang having a hard time cutting her steak? Your eyes were on a different girl when they should have been on your girlfriend."
 
"Who the hell are you?" Jinyoung muttered, glaring at Baekhyun. 
 
"Me? I'll be the one taking Sarang away from you when you make the wrong decision," Baekhyun said and pulled Jinyoung's hands away from his collar. "I'm only giving you this one warning. I don't know who belongs in your heart, but if you do anything to hurt Sarang because of that girl, I will make sure you regret it. So watch what you do with Sumi and continue to make Sarang's heart be at ease, give her the trust she needs from you."
 
With that last sentence, Baekhyun walked out of the bathroom and stopped in front of Sarang, glancing at her. 
 
"Baekhyun," she softly said, but his heart could only hurt from hearing his name, so he walked to his table and grabbed Sumi's hand, dragging her out of the restaurant as he had already paid before hand. 
 
"B-Baekhyun," Sumi said as they got to the car. He let her hand go and opened the door for her. 
 
"Get in, I'll send you home," he said as she did so. He got in the car, started the engine and drove off. 
 
Jinyoung walked out of the bathroom and towards Sarang, who had been patiently waiting for him to come out. Sarang stood up and grabbed Jinyoung's hand. 
 
"I already paid for the bill," she said as he didn't even look at her. "Can you just take me back to the dorm?"
 
"Yeah," he replied and they both left. 
 
-----
 
"Thanks for sending me home," Sumi said as they sat in front of her house. She was about to step out when Baekhyun grabbed her wrist. 
 
"I'm sorry," he said as she furrowed her eyebrows. 
 
"Huh?"
 
"I'm sorry I put you on the guilt trip, I didn't mean to," he said as she softly smiled. 
 
"You don't have to be sorry, what you said made me realize what I've done," she said, patting his head. 
 
"You remember when I said I was in love, right?" he asked as she nodded. "It's her that I love."
 
"Her? You mean Sarang?" Sumi asked, shocked. Baekhyun nodded and sighed. 
 
"I only want what's best for her and I don't want you to be the blame for their relationship being bad," he said, looking at Sumi. "But I'm not going to stop you from seeing Jinyoung because I know you love him."
 
"You must really love Sarang, huh?" she asked as he nodded. 
 
"Just like you, I seem to fall in love with her more and more to the point where my heart aches," he said as she nodded in agreement. "So I do understand why you want the person you love by your side." 
 
Sumi smiled and opened the car door, then stopped to look at Baekhyun. 
 
"If something does happen though, like a change of heart, can I-"
 
"You don't even have to ask because I will also do the same thing," Baekhyun smiled. "I'll take her away."