The Date Part 1

Spy My Heart

 Alex’s point of view

                Calm down, Alex. Anger will get you nowhere. There must be a perfectly good explanation to why he is 30 FREAKING MINUTES LATE. He was the one that called me on this freaking date first. He even insisted on picking me up. So here I am standing out in the chilly afternoon outside my apartment building waiting for this son of a to pick me up. My face twisted in hatred as I get more pissed by the minute. Not only have I been standing out here for half a freaking hour I am also wearing a short tight black dress and heels that are eating my foot alive. Lee Joon when I see you you better be prepared for one hell of a date. I thought to myself laughing evilly to myself. Yes. Yes. I will get payback for this. I continued to laugh evilly at myself thinking of all the plans to get him back. A couple of teenagers stopped in their tracks staring at me with their judging eyes.

                “What the hell are you looking at?” I growled at them without looking at them. I watched out of the corner of my eyes to see them jump in fright because they were caught staring. Then quickly composed their face to a scowl.

                “.” One of the teenage girls muttered out as she showed me her best stuck up face. I narrowed my eyes at her as I let out a growl in rage.  In most cases I would have launched at her teaching her a lesson for that. I would have done it now if it weren’t for the black Toyota Avalon appearing to be coming this way.

                I turned to watch the car come into a slow stop in front of me waiting for me to get in. Just as I was about to bend down to look through the window to see if it was Lee Joon the driver’s side opened. I stared in shock as Lee Joon stepped out wearing dress pants and a white Calvin Klein button down shirt that was untucked. His hair was neat and professional. His dark eyes shined with amusement upon seeing my reaction. I heard the teenage girls next to me gasp in shock as they commented on how hot he was.

                “Sorry I am late. I have received a job offer I couldn’t pass up. It went longer than expected. I was attempting to leave early, but they wouldn’t let me.” Lee Joon let out huskily as he walked towards me. He stood in front of me smiling apologetically. I knew it was a lie he can’t fool me.

                “It’s fine. Don’t worry about it. I honestly just came out now so I wasn’t waiting long I assure you it is fine.” I quickly said with a fake smile spreading across my face. I was outside waiting for 30 minutes you bastard. Job offer my .  Lee Joon let out a sigh of relief as he grabbed my hand leading me towards the passenger side of the car opening the door for me.

                “Well in that case shall we get going?” He said with a soft smile and a gentleman tone. I sat down on the cool leather seat with a soft smile. I watched as he softly closed the door and made his way to the driver’s side. My smile immediately dropped to show an annoyed look. The car smelled and looked brand new. Lee Joon got on the driver’s side with ease starting the car. Once the car was on he pulled out from in front of my apartment complex and drove down the busy streets of D.C. “Have you slept well?” Who the hell ask that?

                “Yes thank you. And you?” I asked back politely as I smiled kindly at him. Lee Joon smiled softly as he looked ahead still driving with caution.

                “Yes. Although I couldn’t keep my mind away from you though.”  I rolled my eyes upon his words. Oh please like I haven’t heard that before. He should meet Jaejoong who is the worlds most pick up line user I know. Maybe cause he is such a huge flirt to. I can’t blame him though although Jaejoong is older he still makes girls swoon for him. “You look beautiful.” Lee Joon added taking in my attire and my long curly hair loosely down.

                “Thank you. You don’t look so bad yourself.” I said making him chuckle softly. I stared out the window seeing the car heading towards the direction of downtown. If I am correct I believe we are going to the new seafood restaurant that just opened.

                “I appreciate the compliment I have been worrying if I might have been to sharp for today.” He joked laughing to himself. I turned my head to glare at him. Did he just imply that he is hotter than me? I felt my blood boil in anger as my pride as a woman is now being held on the line. You wait Lee Joon. By the end of the night I will have you wanting more, but then reject you. Yes I will leave your annoying hanging. “We are here.”

                I immediately snapped out of my thoughts to see us park in front of the BlackSalt restaurant. Lee Joon was the first one out of the car walking to my side of the door. He opened the passenger door for me letting out his hand for me to grab. I stared at the hand in annoyance do I look like some delicate flower.  Quickly wiping the thought away I took his hand letting him help me out of the car. I watched as the large black building seemed to sky rocket above us showing about 3 stories high. Large sky lights pointing towards the building making the black walls look almost silk. Lee Joon handed his keys to the valet as he walked foreword my hand in his.

                “BlackSalt? I heard it’s hard to get reservations here since it’s new.” I let out with fake amazement. Lee Joon turned to me smiling haughty then led me inside. He is probably thinking now that he has me seduced. I smiled back at him letting go of his hand moving towards one of the bar stools inside in front of the aquarium like bar.  Lee Joon gave me a confused look by my action then went back to talking to the hostess about our reservations.

                “What would it be miss?” The bartender asked me just as I sat down on the stool. His eyes wandering down to my chest.

                “Eyes up here boy!” I hissed annoyed by his actions. The bartender immediately snapped his eyes up at my eyes in shock that he has been caught. I rolled my eyes annoyed as I crossed my legs. “Beer.” I simply stated telling him what I want.

                “Beer? Ma’am this is a fancy restaurant wouldn’t you want a martini instead.” The bartender insisted as he stared at me with shock. I quickly narrowed my eyes at him in pure anger. He seemed shock by my scowl on my face as he stumbled to get me a beer. As he walked away I let out a sigh. Really a martini me?

                “Our table is ready.”  I heard Lee Joon say as his hand came down on the small of my back. I turned to look at him with a fake smile on my face. Getting off the stool we followed the hostess away from the bar towards the back of the restaurant to this fancy table next to the fish tank. I can feel the bartender’s eyes on me as we walked. He is probably relieved I left.

                “Thank you.” I told Lee Joon who pushed my chair in once I sat down. I observed around the dark pristine restaurant with wonder. It was beautiful inside most likely expensive as well. “So how did you manage to get us in on such short notice?” I asked once Lee Joon sat down in front of me.

                “My neighbor suggested I take his reservations since he had a family emergency to get to.” He let out easily. I studied him with caution then chose to ignore it as I looked over the menu.

                The night started out with comfortable silence as the waiter gave us wine and took our order. The soft music as well as the soft murmurs of the conversations around us filled our ears. I felt Lee Joon’s eyes studying me while I observed around the dark fancy restaurant. Large saltwater aquariums took up the center of the restaurant and along the walls. It was interesting to see the fishes swim around with sea turtles and other ocean life. Once or twice I got bored and poked the glass next to me when a fish was near. I even spotted Nemo and Dory. Which led to me playing my own game of finding the fishes from Finding Nemo. 

                “So tell me about the position you were offered today?” I asked not taking my eyes off the fishes still searching for a specific fish.  I can tell from the corner of my eyes that Lee Joon seemed surprised for a second then masked his face to a soft smile. I turned to him realizing I need to focus on him and not the fishes.

                “It was a position for the University nearby, George Washington University. The position is to teach Korean and Korean History to sophomores.”

                “Isn’t that the University near the White House?” 

                “Yes.”

                “Wow. That’s really good. You must have gotten a hell of a recommendation for that.” I pretended to be fascinated as I smiled at him in a flirting manner. Inside I want to throw up I feel like a freaking bimbo who only wants . That’s what he probably thinks to. Hmm. I leaned forward on the table revealing my cleavage more as I put my hand over his tracing circles on it. I looked up at him from under my eyelashes as I made my s more noticeable. Lee Joon just looked at me in the eyes unfazed by my actions as he moved his hand back away from mine. I let out a sigh as I leaned back on the chair looking at him.

                “My previous professor had written to the University a letter of recommendation without my knowledge.” He let out with caution as he searched for a reaction from me. I stared at him with fake admiration as I said wow out loud. Inside I was rolling my eyes. If he thinks this will work on me for real he has another thing coming.

                “That’s good now you can talk about your home country and let people see how beautiful it really is.” I let out as I took a sip from my wine. I let the cool sweet liquid go softly and slowly down my throat as I stared at Lee Joon. His face surprised by my comment then he masked it with a serious expression as he nodded. I watched as he turned his face to the side studying the fish.

                “I hope there are more people like you.”  He breathed out softly. I stared at him in shock. What does he mean like me?

                “What do you mean?”

                “You seem to look at the good in others while you try your hardest in everything showing a brave face in life. I can tell by your eyes that you hold great sadness that you wish no one ever has to face.”  Lee Joon said looking at me right in the eyes. I looked at him shocked at first then smiled hiding the shock from him. I placed the glass of wine back down on the table with ease as I looked at him calculating his next move. He thinks he has me figured. He thinks he knows me. I admit he is good, but now he just made me more pissed than what I was before.

                “You have only known me for a short while what makes you know all this?” I challenged raising an eyebrow at him. My stare quickly turned into a glare almost daring him to say more. I watched in annoyance as Lee Joon smirked at me with amusement. He is enjoying this. I can tell from the dangerous glint in his eyes that he is testing me.  

                “Ah! Now the food for the lovely couple.” The waiter said out in cheery voice as he placed our food in front of us. Lee Joon and I immediately backed off our staring contest as he focused our attention on the food. The waiter looked almost relieved that he interrupted us while he bid us a nice meal then went off to other tables to provide his services.

                I continued to stare at Lee Joon as we continued to eat. He knows something. My eyes narrowed in suspicion as I took another bite out of my grilled fish. He just keeps pissing me more and more off. Who the hell does he think he his? He probably thinks he won mr. high and mighty. Noticing my stare Lee Joon looked up at me and smiled caringly, but his eyes held different emotions that I couldn’t decipher.  I smiled back then went back to eating.

                The rest of the night continued calmly. I behaved myself as best I could as we casually talked about different topics. Lee Joon let out his excitement for the new teaching position he will be attaining soon. Apparently he starts tomorrow. I carefully took in every word as I inconspicuously scanned the area around us to notice a blonde man looking at us. I kept my eye on him all night without Lee Joon noticing. Something about the blonde man seemed to bother me. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

                “How are you enjoying your evening so far?” Lee Joon spoke up taking my eyes away from the blonde man. Focusing back on my target I suppressed my look of annoyance and simply smiled softly at him.

                “It is nice..”

                “But?” He inquired figuring out the underlying meaning of my smile. Tilting his head to the side he smiled arrogantly making his eyes sparkling under the light of the restaurant. I couldn’t help just stare at him in wonder. He is breathtaking. “Alex?” He spoke after the long silence. His eyes seemed to glisten with amusement as he caught me staring at him.

                “Oh…” I jumped slightly feeling my cheeks warm up in embarrassment. That bastard is making fun of the fact that I was checking him out. Oh god. I was checking out my target. I let out a sigh as I ran my hand through my long curly hair. Pushing it through the stubborn tangles almost getting my hand stuck in it. I had to forcefully pull my hand out of my hair hurting my scalp and leaving stands of curls against my hand. I quickly let the hairs fall to the floor without a second thought no realizing how disgusting that might have looked.  Way to look attractive, Alex. Maybe Jaejoong is right. I can’t seduce worth my life.

                “Are you alright?” He asked looking at me curious as if trying to contemplate my next move. I quickly nodded at him letting out a fake smile.

                “I am fine, Sorry. Where was I?”

                “You said the restaurant was nice but-“

                “Oh yeah!” I said out loud not realizing how dumb and air headed I must look now. I let out a sigh. “Look Lee Joon. This is really nice and fancy. Not to mention the food was divine.”

                “But?” He inquired. His dark eyes stared at me with amusement as he tilted his head to the side staring at me.

                “But….” I sighed again. How do I tell him that I hate these kind of stuff. I mean dates to me are to have fun and enjoy getting to know each other. Fancy restaurants are for married couples and annoying rich people. How long has it been since I went on a date? Since Jongup…I quickly shook my head taking away the thought from my head. “I am just not used to it. It has been to long since I have been treated like this.”

                “You should be treated like this and so much more everyday of your life. Your beautiful, Alex. Men should be showering you with gifts left and right. Coming to restaurants like these should be an everyday occurrence for you.”  I stared at Lee Joon in shock upon hearing his words. Tears welled in my eyes as I remember hearing the almost exact same speech told me by. NO Alex.  I felt my chest clench as tears threatened to come out. I swallowed back the tears as I stared at Lee Joon with a genuine smile.

                “Thank you, but you don’t have to. I don’t like getting lavished till I suffocate. Anyways do I seem like the type to want these things.” I joked smiling at him. His eyes sparkled with amusement as he let out a soft laugh. Lee Joon shook his head no. “Glad to see you got that. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to use the bathroom and powder my nose.” I joked again earning a smile and a nod from him.  

                He made a motion as if to get up at the same time as me, but I simply put my hand up to stop him. I let out a fake smile as I whispered to him that I’ll be right back. Making sure he witnessed my best seductive smile I turned around and walked towards the bathroom next to the kitchen. Different waiters passed by me attended the clients on the tables. The chatters of their conversation echoed in my ears. I felt Lee Joon’s eyes on my back as I kept walking. Knowing he is watching me I turned my head as If looking to the side away him, but I use my peripheral vision to see him. His dark eyes staring at me walking away with suspicion, but he wasn’t the only one. I felt another stare at me. I looked a few tables behind him to see the blonde man from earlier staring at me as he slowly got up from his table and made his way to Lee Joon.

                The blonde man’s black eyes seem to almost take in my every movement as I went inside the bathroom. Once I entered in the women’s restroom the disgusting stench of different Chanel and Gucci perfumes attacked my nose making me sneeze. I left the bathroom door slightly open to see the blonde man talking to Lee Joon with a smile while Lee Joon looked at him as if he wanted to kill him. They exchanged words with each other. It seems as if they know each other by their body language.

                “uhmm! Excuse me!” I heard a shrilly voice as I felt a hard tap on my shoulder. I let out an annoyed sigh as I stood up turning around to see a young blonde stared at me with an annoyed look. I rolled my eyes not wanting to fight and kick her as I moved away from the door to let her go out. “Wierdo.” She breathed out as she slammed the door open walking away with a tight dress that looked like it will rip in half any second.

                I let out a sigh as I walked to the sink to wash my hands. Breathing heavily to calm my temper I looked at myself in the mirror. This date. Everything. How he treats me reminds me so much of… I shook my head to get the thought out. No I can’t. I stared at my eyes to see the darkness swirling in as the memories started to hit me. I tried to force them out, but they just kept coming. I shut my eyes tightly while shaking my head. No. I can’t think of this now. I can’t think of him now.

                “Alex, You’re beautiful why don’t you see that? Why must you act tough and hide behind a mask? Any man would be lucky to have you. They should shower you with gifts and beg for your attention. I should know I beg for your attention every day - ”

Jongup’s words echoed in my mind fading slowly as I remembered the first time he confessed to me. It was late at the agency and we were working on reports late there. I was upset for the last mission took a lot out of me. That night I was emotional and told Jongup that I was gonna end up old and alone for the rest of my life. I shivered to myself rubbing my arms softly as I remembered the way he held me as he whispered those words to me. I felt a lone tear go down my face as my chest clenched in agony. My hands tightened on the edge of the sink making my knuckles turn white. No Alex! You are not doing this to yourself.

“You’re on a mission. Don’t take your eyes off the target. You are doing this for the better. Now go out there and seduce the hell out of Mr. Professional .” I practically yelled at myself snapping my head up to stare at myself in the eyes. I forced all the memories to the back of my head knowing that they will escape out later torturing me when I am alone in my thoughts.

I sighed out in stress as I ran my hand through my hair. My heart seems to be going on turbo as I attempted to calm down. I looked up at the dark tiled ceiling. Hoping, Praying I can make it for the rest of this date. I quickly cleaned myself up before I walked out the bathroom to see Lee Joon still glaring at the blonde man who seems to have taken my seat. I stared with suspicion as I walked closer making my presence known.  I watched Lee Joon’s lips move reading what he was saying as he stared at me watching me as I come closer.

“Don’t blow my mission, Daesung. Understand! We will discuss later. ” Lee Joon hissed under his breath for I won’t hear as I got closer to the table.  “Alex.”

“Hey! Who’s this?” I asked looking down at the blonde man. The man looked up at me with interest before a smile broke on his face.

“Oh my god. Where are my manner? Hi sweetie! I am Daesung. I am Joonie’s neighbor. Oh my god. You are gorgeous. Where did you get those shoes? I love them. ” He spoke up startling me with his high almost girly voice. He smiled widely at me as he stood up. Lee Joon stared at Daesung in disgust as he crossed his arms over his chest.  “I am so sorry ,honey! Did I take your seat. Here here sit here.” He said frantically as he practically pushed me to my seat. I resisted the urge to twist his arm behind his back and slam his head on the table. I just let him push me down on the chair as he stood in front of the table looking from me to Lee Joon with the biggest smile. “Oh! You two are just so precious together. Did you know he just moved here from South Korea? I am so happy he is my neighbor now. You see I am from South Korea also and I have been feeling lonely in that old apartment building with no one to relate to. And low and behold this handsome devil moves in just in time. Ah only in my wildest dreams can I snag someone like this. Honey, trust me when I say you are lucky. Ah the things I will do..”

“Daesung! I think it is time for you to leave!.” Lee Joon hissed angrily as he scowled up at Daesung. I watched in amusement as Daesung let out a heavy sigh as he pouted.

“Well I can see when I am not wanted.” Daesung sighed. He then turned towards me with a soft smile his eyes sparkling with excitement. “Oh honey we must be in touch. Maybe even have a girl’s night out. Ah I’m just excited thinking about it.” I stared at Lee Joon with a ‘are you serious’ look, but he didn’t notice. He just stared at Daesung like he wanted to kill him in the most inhumane way as possible.

“This is gonna be a long night.” I let out under my breath as I rubbed my forehead hoping to drown out Daesung’s excited conversation with himself.