Determination

Spy My Heart

Alex's point of view 

 

                The plane ride back to the states was long. I waved Paris goodbye from my plane window knowing I will be here again most likely for a mission. I still had a hangover from the night before. That and no memory of what happened. When I tried to ask Kris and Onew they just told me that I sang in Korean and dancing against a streetlight. They wouldn’t shut up the whole plane ride about my drunken stories reminding me that they will never go drinking with me again. We all know that’s a lie because whether they like it or not I know they have a lot of fun when we go out. The one thing that still bothers my mind is that I know they are holding something back from me. Something I did or said that night that made them seem different towards me. I remember the way I woke up this morning to see Kris smiling at me with compassion as her eyes held concern in them. At first I thought it was because I drank too much yesterday and she worried about my hangover, but she and Onew had that expression all day.

                When we exited the plane they never left my side while we walked to baggage claim. I walked silently behind the talkative partners trying to remember. What happened yesterday? Why do Onew and Kris seem protective over me? The way they look at me is as if I was a child that needed protection from herself. As if I was going to breakout in a meltdown soon.

                “Alex?” I heard Onew voice in concern. I snapped out of my thoughts to look up at my two best friends. Their eyes holding worry as they stared at me cautiously. They already had all the bags on the floor beside them.

                “You ok?” Kris asked as she walked towards me slowly. I stared at her in disbelief. What happened last night that they are like this now?

                “Yeah..I’m fine!” I said plastering a fake smile on my face. Maybe I am just being too paranoid. I am sure it is just nothing.

                “Ok…good! Because you are carrying your own stuff.” Onew said as he threw my large duffle bag towards me with a soft smile. I caught the large bag with ease ignoring the fact that it was indeed heavy as I slung it on my shoulder.

                “You’re such a gentleman!” I snorted rolling my eyes at him. “Here I thought you were going to carry my bag for me, Damn!”

                “Alex I don’t love you that much!” He retorted. We walked out of baggage claim towards the exit.

                “He doesn’t even carry my stuff and I’m his partner!” Kris exclaimed. We talked and laughed as we walked out of the airport building.

                “Want to stop for some Chinese? I’ll pay!” I suggested as the automatic doors opened to let us outside into the cool breeze of the summer afternoon. I coolly took my sunglasses off the top of my head and put them on looking ahead.

                “No! We need to go straight to the Bureau to report in.” Kris let out. I immediately stopped walking to look at her agitated. “Don’t give me that face! You know that the Boss wants us to report back immediately after we land.”

                “If he wanted us right away he would have sent one of his twinkies to pick us up.” I spoke to soon because just as I finished saying that a car honked its horn in front of us. We looked up to notice the black SUV parked along the pick-up curb. The passenger window rolled down revealing a brunette woman sitting in the driver’s side looking at us with a serious expression. Her dark eyes were trained right at me. “Speaking of twinkies.” I muttered out as we made our way towards the black SUV.

                “The Boss wants you to report to the Bureau immediately.” The serious brunette spoke as she got out of the car. She clicked the remote opening the back as she came towards us. Her heels slammed against the ground as she walked to us. I watched as Onew immediately started to put our bags in the back of the car carefully. I glowered at the woman.

                “I say we overpower her and make a run for Chinese food!” I whispered to Kris. The red head just laughed shaking her head as she moved to go help Onew put the bags in the back. I glared at my friends knowing that was their way of telling me that either way we are going to the Bureau. The twinkie stood up straighter crossing her arms over her chest as she gave me a smug smirk.

                “Agent Night! I will assure you now that if you attempt to run I have multiple agents on standby prepared to catch you.” She said smugly. I scowled at her annoyed that she threatened me.

                “I can outrun them anytime. Don’t forget who I am.”

                “That’s why I have a sniper on that building right there!” I watched in annoyance as she pointed a perfect manicured finger to the roof of the tall parking garage ahead of us. I can see the man on the roof with his large gun pointed at me. I then turned my attention back to the annoying twinkie glaring at her. “They will be happy to shoot you with a knockout dart with no problem. All I do is show the signal. Now I would get in the car if I were you.” What the hell is the Boss doing? Is this seriously what we use our agents for? Onew and Kris let out a snort trying to contain their laugh at the irony of the situation. 

                “Ohh!! She’s good!” Onew breathed out looking at the twinkie with admiration. I on the other hand would be more than delighted to rearrange her face.

                “Alex! Stop being so rebellious and just get in the car!” Kris scolded. Her eyes held amusement in them as she stared at me and the twinkie. The twinkie just looked at me daring to try something. “Alex!”

                I let out an annoyed sigh as I marched to the passenger side of the SUV. I got in the car slamming the door shut as I sat down on the comfortable dark seat. Onew and Kris looked at the annoying twinkie as they shut the trunk of the car shut they warned her that she got on my bad side now to be careful. The twinkie just laughed as she stared at me with challenging eyes. This has no idea who she is starting with. I watched in silence as they quickly got in the car. Onew and Kris sat in the back while twinkie got in the driver’s seat. I turned my head to see her mutter that everything was fine into her earpiece. I witnessed in disbelief as many of the people that were outside started to disperse all at the same time. I felt my blood boil with anger.

                “Was it necessary to use all those agents?” I muttered out crossing my hands over my chest. We pulled out of the airport heading to the Bureau. Wait till I get my hands on that damn Boss of mine.

                The car ride to the Bureau was silent and awkward. Twinkie attempted to make conversation with us, but I would just let out my words of ‘wisdom’ to shut her up. A couple of times Kris scolded at my ‘supposed’ rudeness. Hey all I can say in defense was that the twinkie started it first when she threatened my .

                Once we arrived at the Bureau I wasted no time in jumping out of the SUV even before it came to a full stop. I slammed the door behind me as I stalked into the building ignoring the shouts of confusions coming from the SUV I abandoned. I marched through the doors of the CIA building ignoring anyone that tried to talk to me or even stop me. My mind was to dead set on going to the Boss’s office. I didn’t even bother to use the elevator to go up.

                “Where the hell is he?” I growled once I reached his office floor. Many of the agents stared at me with knowing looks as they pointed to his office. They were already used to me marching up here pissed off and they know better than to piss me off even more.

                “Agent Night! You can’t go in there!” The Boss’s secretary yelled in panic as she jumped off her desk chair to chase after me as I passed by her desk. I just ignored her as I slammed the large wooden door leading to his office open revealing my very smug boss looking at me with a knowing face. He was seated behind his desk working on paper work by the looks of his face he looked like he was expecting me.

                “What the hell, Jr!” I yelled furiously. He just looked at me unfazed by the action as he went back to his papers as if nothing. I let out a frustrated sigh as I moved in front of his large wooden desk slamming my hands down in front of him. The sound echoed the room along with the gasp from the red headed secretary. Jr just looked up at me with an amused expression. “Was it really necessary to have all those ing agents to get me?”

                “You are to report here immediately after you land. I simply just took precaution to ensure you get here safe.” I snorted at his comment as I rolled my eyes. That’s bull. Jr just lifted a dark eyebrow up at me then continued. “Or would you rather have been shot with a knockout dart leaving you to wake up on that couch hours later.” He pointed to the black leather couch in the corner of the room.

                “I would rather beat your blue,” I hissed in rage. My eyes narrowed at his. I fumed while he just found me amusing. This bastard. I don’t give a he is my boss I will beat him.

                “Agent Night!” The secretary gasped out loud in shock. Her green eyes looked at me with disapproval. She was going to say more, but Jr just held up his hand to silence her. His dark eyes never leaving mine.

                “Tell your twinkie to get out.” I hissed dangerously. The red headed twinkie let out an offended gasp. Jr just let out a sigh motioning the woman to leave the room. Twinkie just let out a frustrated huff as she marched out the room slamming the door shut behind her.

                “What are you pissed about now? I know it is not because of the airport incident.” Jr sighed out while he leaned back on his leather desk chair. I watched with a stern look as he ran a tan hand through his black hair. “Tell me.. What’s wrong?”

                “Paris..I know you had an agent following me at all times. Look I understand how you got me backup when I got captured, but I could have made it out fine.” I breathed out as I myself down on the leather couch. My eyes staring at him waiting for his reaction. Shock and disbelief swept through his face then it was masked with his arrogance.

                “I thought you didn’t notice.”

                “I did, ! That needs to stop. I don’t an agent in the shadows following me at all time and don’t think I don’t notice because I do. You forget I am top agent for a reason.” I warned. “If this happens again I will send the agent to the hospital then go after you. I don’t need to be watched understand.” Jr simply nodded his head in agreement taking in my threat knowing I will follow through with it. I am not afraid of him or anyone and he knows that. “Now you wanted me here for a reason..Why?”

                “You have another mission.” He breathed out huskily as he threw a tan folder at me. Catching the folder with ease I opened it only to see a picture of a y Korean man and his files. I looked back up at Jr with confusion. My missions are always about gangs or government. “His name is Lee Joon. He is from the CIA of South Korea. We have reasons to believe that they sent him here to try to infiltrate us.”

                “That’s impossible. Why would South Korea want to infiltrate us?” I questioned getting up from my chair walking towards his desk with the folder. “I know that North Korea is their neighbor and none of the other agencies around the world trust them. Damn it JR! When is everyone going to see that South Korea doesn’t want to join North Korea at all. You and everyone know they will do anything to bring them down. I mean-”

                “Enough!” Jr’s voice boomed with authority as he stood up from his desk. He glared at me demanding me to stand down from the argument, but I just stared back into his eyes standing straighter fearlessly. “Now I want you to terminate him, but not before you get information from him. It shouldn’t be too hard to get the information. You need to find out what the South Koreans are planning and what his purpose to be here is. ”

                 “No!”

                “What?!” Jr questioned as he gave me a warning look. I simply just crossed my arms over my chest while I glared at him.

                “I said no! I am not one of your twinkie who take these missions. Send them not me. You know I hate these kinds of missions. And anyways wouldn’t the smart thing to do is to get him here and ask him yourself. They are our allies not our enemies, Jr!” I let out as I threw the folder back at him. Jr let out a growl of anger as the folder hit his chest then fell to the floor leaving the papers to scatter everywhere. I just shrugged as I walked towards the door to leave.

                “They were behind Jongup’s death.” Jr let out just when I had my hand on the door handle. I froze stiff in my spot as my heart seemed to drop to the floor.

                “The Russian gang killed him.” I breathed out hoarsely. My eyes trained on the wooden door. Tears threatening to come out. I felt my body shake in fear. Why did he have to mention him? My breathing sped up along with my heart.

                “And who do you think told them about your mission.” I quickly spun around from facing the door to stare right at my boss with a glare. He watched in shock as I marched right up to him with tears going down my eyes. I didn’t care as I lift my hand up and slapped him across the face. The smack echoed around the cold room.

                “You have no right to bring Jongup’s death in this! You bastard! You have no right to place the blame on the South Korean Agency for something that had nothing to do with them! Just to get me to do this damn mission! How low can you ing go?” I yelled tears flowing down my face. The images of my past passing through my mind. Images that I tried to hide away. “Get someone else on this mission..Not me!” I went to walk out the office leaving Jr to stare at me angrily.

                “Don’t you owe it to Jongup to at least look into this? Don’t you owe it to the B.A.P. Division who you have ignored for years? Alex you know better than me that the mission was compromised by someone. At least give the mission some thought. I will send the file to your apartment later tonight hopefully you will accept it.” Jr let out softly. I opened the door softly as I stepped out of the office slamming the door shut behind me.

                The agents in the room stared at me silently with curious eyes even the red head twinkie looked at me. They most likely heard all the yelling and the slap sound. I smiled despite myself knowing that Jr will have a mark on his face now because of it. I made my legs move away from the office ignoring the stares of everyone as I kept walking. My combat boots slammed against the ground with each step with no destination in mind. My mind kept reeling back to what just happened. The mission seems too sketchy and wrong in so many reasons. The way Jr gave it to be sounded like I have to do it that I was the only hope of something. What’s going on? Then Onew’s and Kris’s behavior flashed in my mind. Last night what did I do?

                I stopped dead in my tracks taking in my surroundings where I am at. I felt my heart sped up in fear upon realizing I was in front of the division that I used all my might to avoid all these years. I stared widely through the glass windows looking into the B.A.P division. Tears slowly came down my face as my chest squeezed in sorrow. I used to come here all the time when Jongup was alive. I smiled softly as I pressed my hand on the glass looking into the large room showing all the members of the division. They grew up so fast I still remember when they were just college kids always messing around playing jokes. Their youngest Zelo used to look up to me and told me many times before how he will train hard to beat me one day. I used to ruffle his curly blonde hair and laugh saying he could try. Bang and I used to talk about strategies about combat missions. Even Daehyun, Himchan, and Youngjae would always play pranks on Jongup and I causing us to chase each other around the division. The days I spent here were filled with laughter and joy. They were stress free. They were like my second family we would have done anything for each other, but I abandoned them. I let them down. I couldn’t face them at all when Jongup died. I couldn’t help but feel responsible for his death I blamed myself even though I know they didn’t.

                I remember the day I finally returned to the Bureau after Jongup’s death the B.A.P division attempted to see me, but I ignored them completely. They tried everything to get to me even coming to my apartment a couple times. Each time I disappeared from their sights before they see me or I even ran away from them. I couldn’t deal with the guilt and sadness that I felt. One of their own. Their brother. Their friend. Died because of me. I kept feeling during that time it should have been me not him. Slowly little by little the members started to give up in reaching out to me. Zelo was the last one to give up and even then I remember his crying words he yelled to my apartment saying that he will wait for me. He wouldn’t give up on me. I remember that it was raining heavily that night he yelled that to the sky towards my apartment. I was looking out the window at the time crying because I couldn’t take it anymore. Even during the nights I am alone in my thoughts his broken crying face yelling haunts me along with images from that mission in Russian.

                “I’m sorry.” I breathed out as I leaned my forehead on the glass looking down. “It’s my fault. I don’t deserve to anywhere near you guys.”

                 I looked into the room to see Bang gather the guys to the middle of the room. The guys sat down on their desk chairs facing Bang with a smile. I watched as Himchan and Daehyun made fun of Zelo picking on him for being the youngest. I can hear them even from here. Youngjae laughed along with them as he put Zelo in a headlock giving him a nuggie in the head. Zelo’s hair is no longer blonde and curly now it is dark blue and straight. It made him look more mature actually all the guys look more mature even more muscular. I remember I used to make fun of them back then for being too skinny with no muscle. I continued to watch them unnoticed with silent tears going down missing the old times.

                 “You guys! Stop fighting!” Bang said in his deep voice as he slammed the folder down on the large white table. The guys immediately stopped messing around looking at their leader with serious expressions. Their eyes held a large amount of admiration towards him as he smiled at them. Bang ran a hand through his short dark purple hair. “Look you know it is that time again. That time where the Divisions go head to head to see who the best in the Agency is. And you know who that is? ”

                  I know he is talking about the Agency camp where all the Divisions in the Agency really go head to head in many challenges to see who is the best. The winner gets to compete against the best team in the division which is actually my team. Last year BTOB won, but lost against my team. It’s considered a great honor and the winning team of the Divisions gets bragging rights for a year and use the worst Division in any way they want. I usually take on multiple missions at a team that way I don’t have to participate in the judging and the round my team goes in.

                 “US!” The guys yelled back with smiles on their smiles. Their eyes held an acceptance to a challenge.

                 “That’s right us! This year we will be Unbreakable and become Warriors out for vengeance. This is our one chance. Our One Shot. We are going to go all out this time. The only sound they will hear when we are done is only going to be Rain sound. We got the Power to blow them away. So show No Mercy. I don’t give a at any they say about us. Because while they Crash and burn we will come out on top. This year we will get number one and face Alex’s team. This year we will make her see how much we have grown. Show her that her brother’s has never given up on her.” Bang let out in a yell. I watched in shock. They are doing this for me. To get me to see them. “We have prepared all these years for this. We held back the past few years not anymore. Let’s show them what B.A.P is made of!”

                   “Yeah!” They guys chanted out excitedly jumping out of their chairs cheering. I almost laughed as Youngjae lost balance and fell grabbing Bang.

                     I backed away slowly feeling I have seen enough. I walked slowly away towards the elevator. A smile crept on my lips as I stopped turning back to them. They are still yelling and laughing most likely to riled up by Bang’s speech. I thought about what Jr said earlier about how I owe it to Jongup to find out if it was really the South Koreans behind his death. I couldn’t help but think Jr is right. I did owe it do Jongup and the guys to find out. I will find out who was compromised that mission and take them down. Even if I have to take down a whole agency to do so. I turned back to the elevator walking in pressing the button to go to the top floor to my division. Ready to go deep into my work to find out as much as I can about the South Koreans. I might have to pay a visit to the Russian gang I tried so hard to hide from. This time I come back to them with no fear.

                   “Alex!” I heard Zelo’s voice echo in the hall as his body jumped out from the glass door leading into his Division. My eyes widen in shock as he frantically looked around the hall till finally he looked at me. The elevator started to close slowly as he ran towards it. I could only stare at him in shock. He saw me. He saw me stand there watching them. Zelo’s eyes held panic as he opened his mouth. His long legs extended out as he ran as fast as he can. “Alex! We are going to win this year! You better be there to fight against our Division. Alex! You better be there!” He yelled out frantically.

                   The elevator doors closed tightly before he got to me leaving me with the image of his fired up eyes and confident smirk. I was alone now in the elevator. His words echoing around me.  I breathed heavily as I let my body slide down to the floor leaning against the elevator wall. Tears went down my eyes. Why don’t they hate me? I practically killed Jongup.It is my fault he died. Why don’t they see I have given up on myself…Why can’t they give up on me? They are so determined to get to me. To reach out to me. I sighed as I looked up at the ceiling of the elevator. I let my eyes close feeling the large mechanical box I am in go slowly up. I felt a smile tug my lips. Might as well take them up on their challenge. If they beat the championship and go to the winning round where they face my team I will be there. I won’t hold back either.

                First things first. To go after the South Koreans and Lee Joon.