❝ ( ♥ ) - order for Italian chocolate mousse and hazelnut latte?

❝ ( ♥ ) - café de l'espoir ⋮ closed

  

I'm on my high school senior year. I've applied for to some university and some of them already accepted me in. The thing is, I don't know what major I should take. It's whether I'm taking Accounting or Medicine, my mom and grandma had always wanted me to become a doctor but my dad said it'll be easier for me to find a job if I would just take Accounting. Before I sort down the list to just accounting and medicine, I had interior design and hospitality in my mind, but my parents said it'll be hard for me to find a job with those majors. Actually what I really want when I grow up is to have a Cafe or maybe a restaurant, a bakery, or something like that. What should I do? There's more to my story, I have never told anyone about this in real life. I'm a guy, not really a manly guy. I'd prefer watching movies and drama rather than watching sports. It's not that I want to be like that, but I didn't grow liking those kind of sports. Then the other boys in my school always tease me for not being manly enough, they called me names and it's frustrating me. Since I had never had a girlfriend, they started to assume that I'm gay, but don't you think it's a little to early to say that I'm gay, I don't even know my self. Then there's this boy who always look at me with a disgusted face, like saying 'what kind of creature are you?'. Sometimes I feel like talking back to those teasing jerks, but I don't have the courage too. Thank you for listening to me. It's a relief to finally let something out of my chest...

 


 

Sooyoung approves of your food choices :D

I think it’s admirable that you don’t feel the need to watch sport to feel “manly”. I’m not going to go all cliché and tell you that manliness doesn’t depend on strength and your interests, but I’m sure you’re courageous in your own ways but unfortunately, society does hold very strong views on what a man should do. Those jerks that have been teasing you are ridiculous, you cannot judge a person by their interests or their “manliness” (besides, how does watching drama and wanting to open a café make you gay in any way?) and I think you have morals and principles that will take you very far in your life. “The greatest strength is not in fighting but in not fighting back”-Ghandi. I don’t think that you aren’t courageous enough, I personally think that you just don’t like confrontation which isn’t a bad thing. You probably want to stay out of trouble and reap the best benefit for everyone (you’re probably very considerate). You’ll be out of school soon anyway and college is going to bring you in contact with a wider range of people that will accept you for who you are. Don’t let people pick on you, stand your ground but at the same time, be the bigger person and avoid confrontation because we all know bullying stems from insecurity.

I presume you probably have Asian parents? Or maybe they’re just incredibly overbearing. In the end, you don’t want to be stuck in a career that you don’t want to do, people who are truly successful are passionate in their fields of work. Unfortunately, this society today is incredibly materialistic and many people work not for the money but rather, the status and the respect. You may need to make a compromise and gain some degree of financial stability before opening a café. Weigh your options, being a doctor can be taxing not only mentally but physically as well and you need to be able to handle many things that usual people are not so comfortable with. I personally believe (you do not seem particularly passionate about either) that you do Accounting since it is less taxing and as long as you get along with numbers and economics and that kind of thing, it’s definitely easier. But then again, you need to consider your own strengths and what you personally feel more passionate for and choose that way. If you’re going to be doing something, don’t do it halfway and I don’t think anyone can do anything with 100% determination if they don’t enjoy it. It’s your life, don’t let your parents dictate what to do and I know it’s hard to stand up for yourself (especially against your parents) but you need to voice out what you want.

Reach a compromise; I do think that’s the best way and make choices based on yourself because it is your life. Keep in mind also, there are so many college courses that you might want to take that you never even heard of. You can always transfer in your first year so don’t rush things and keep an open find.

We’re all cheering you on here! :D

-Choi Sooyoung 

 

(Nosy author ramblings: Lord, your parents sound ridiculously like mine. And instead of being a feminine girl, I’m teased for being 4-dimensional in the way that I don’t own a single skirt but I still watch kids’ cartoons. But then again, I’m too thick-skinned to let that hurt me in any way because these things just don’t bother me. Girls like guys like you, baking is completely romantic so don’t lose hope. Girls also happen to find guys who they can fan-girl with over dramas attractive. And about college, just don’t rush it. Nothing is the end of the world and you have so many years to decide. Trust me, you have years.)