❝ ( ♥ ) - order for a classic hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmellows?

❝ ( ♥ ) - café de l'espoir ⋮ closed

  *enters the shop, sit on the chair and flopped my head on the cafe table*

Hi... Your cafe is so relaxing... Can I tell some stories to you? My story is just the same with "order for dango?" I've submitted JYPENT and SMENT online audition today... I really love singing and my dream is to be a professional singer one day. I really looked forward to the results and hoped that they would choose me. But, I had a big problem. My parents really really hate music career and my mind really become blank because of this. Before I wanted to become a singer, I wanted to become a pilot and in this case my mom also interrupts with my dreams saying that things like, "Pilots is not for a lazy person like you." "You're a girl, stop dreaming"... and stuffs like that... In the end there's only a tiny bit of scattered-broken-dreams-of-becoming-a-pilot in my heart. I never want to give up on it yet... Same with my dreams to be a singer... I'm the type who will clung till the end... I kind of worry with my parents' negative thoughts about me...
But I don't really blame on them for all of this, just I need some space for myself...to make my own decision...
I really want to help my parents if I get to become a singer. I want them to live in luxury. But, they seemed didn't understand about my goal. I even stop thinking about getting married because I want to help them...
What can I do?

 


 

Sweetie,

One thing that a lot of people don’t understand about the Korean music industry is that it’s a culture for idols, people who are not only singers but also entertainers. As a result, many of us are subject to acting and variety careers on top of our horrendously busy practice and musical schedules, and this is often what causes all of us to be exhausted. There is no respect in this industry until you gain it, idols may be shining stars to their fans but they share the same equipment as their crew, they get no special treatment and being sick of injured is not an excuse to slack off. I whole-heartedly support you in your dreams and I admire your courage and perseverance but I just want to make it very clear that the stage is not all that glamorous. As my respected sunbae, Tablo from Epik High said: “The stars shine so bright in the sky when in reality, they themselves are shrouded in darkness”. Believe in yourself but as the entertainment industry is one of high stakes, think very carefully before placing all your eggs in one basket.

Why not a pilot? It’s a great job (only it might be taxing on your personal life and health just a little but I’m pretty sure you already know all the hazards) and very satisfying too. I really don’t understand why your parents are against that because it’s practical, well-paying and quite dynamic. Your parents want the best for you. They shoot down your dreams because they think they’re too unattainable or too stressful so they want to protect you before you fall. Because as children and teenagers, we really don’t have a good grasp on reality and we can imagine our dream jobs to be “perfect” when in reality, they really aren’t. Try to understand that your parents are just really concerned about you but then again, don’t let that hinder your dreams. You’ll need to make a compromise, communicate clearly your opinions and feelings but at the same time, focus on more realistic goals as well; this’ll help breach the chasm of understanding between you and your parents. It’s their job to worry but that can often translate to negative attitudes and behaviour.

I also believe it’s admirable that you want to protect your parents and let them retire in luxury. You have a good heart and good intentions but as all children and teenagers, maybe a little naïve. This is normal and completely fine, sometimes naivety can be the driving force behind success. And also, most importantly, it’s vital to remember that your life is a path you forge on your own and your marriage and career choice should not be dictated by feelings of guilt and obedience, otherwise you’ll never be truly happy. As oppa truly does acre for you, make sure not to let yourself float too high so you won’t crash as hard. Work hard and when you do become a singer, make sure to come and drop a little hello. My members aren’t scary at all; we’ll be waiting for you!

-Love, Kai (Kim Jongin) 

 

 

(Nosy author ramblings: Holy crap, the whole time I was writing this, I felt you were so adorable. Now this is just me, I’m kind creepily motherly so don’t be freaked out or anything. I also notice that the drop-out rate is getting higher and higher with the form (yepp, I diverge) which greatly saddens me because yeah… It saddens the both of us because we both want to help and be a positive influence on your lives. IF IT GOES OVER FIFTY PERCENT IMA CRY. Anyway, back to you. I do wish you the best of luck with everything because ti makes me all nostalgic. I’ve given up on my dreams for good reasons but I did reach a compromise with my parents and now I’m considerably happy. If you need any more advice, don’t hesitate to send me a PM or another form!)