Chapter 36.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"Yah, Hyori!" Zico yelled, causing her to turn behind in surprise. He stalked up to her.

"Yes?" She asked hesitantly.

"Don't think of leaving without taking this," he muttered and passed a beautiful box to her. He had written his name on the top of the box.

"Happy White Day, and make sure you don't give THAT away!" He threatened before putting his hands in his pockets and walked off. Hyori stared after him, puzzled.

"Thanks!" She yelled. She turned back and almost banged into Chen. He was staring open-mouthed at the amount of candies she was carrying.

"Did the entire school population give this to you?!" He gaped at her. She shrugged. "I think so, but I can't possibly eat all of these. I want to give them away to the orphanage. Help me out, will ya?"

"But noona .. I'm skateboarding later .." he mumbled. Hyori kept quiet for a few seconds. With a huge effort, she plastered a smile on her face.

"It's alright! I'll call my girl friends to come over, but oh! None of them lived near me .. I guess I'll call Zico to help me then," she grinned, pulling out her phone. Chen felt a surge of panic.

"Wait!" He shouted, before Hyori could tap in Zico's number. "I'll .. I'll tell my friends I can't join them today," he said quickly. Hyori shook her head. 

"A promise is a promise. I understand, really. Go ahead, I'll be with Zico, though he wouldn't like it since I sort of chased him away .." her voice trailed away as she bit her lip in guilt.

However, Chen had gripped her arm, preventing her to put her phone next to her ear. Hyori raised her eyebrows.

"I'll accompany you," he said firmly, but his face was sulky. Hyori looked at him.

"Don't think that I'm forcing you because I'm not. I already told you, you can meet your friends. So I don't see why you should pull off that face at me."

Chen felt guilty.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "I just .."

"Like I said, I can meet-"

"So you prefer Zico over me?!" Chen half-shouted at her. Hyori fell silent. She felt hurt. He never lost his temper around her. Did he really change? Her mood went down instantly.

"If you're gonna be like this, then I'd rather go with Zico," she said quietly before turning her back on him. As she started walking away, a hand pulled her back.

"I'm sorry, noona, I didn't mean to shout at you," Chen said. He was frustrated with himself. Why was his temper so short these few days? Young Deuk's words swam in his head. Control your expressions. With an enormous effort, Chen composed his face.

"I really wanna help you. Please?" He pleaded, turning on his charm that Hyori always fall for.

With a sigh, Hyori nodded. Chen beamed.

*

"Can I have this?!" Chen cried out, holding up a box of expensive looking chocolates. Hyori checked the package. Just as she expected, it had alcohol in it.

"No, you're underage," she said firmly. She wanted to put the box into the pile to be given to the orphanage, then she thought better of it. "I'll keep it," she decided and put it into the pile she would keep for herself. Chen pouted.

"Aw come on noona, the alcohol won't be that strong!"

"No." Hyori was firm in her decision. Chen pouted somemore. "Fine, then we play kai bai bo. If I win I get that box."

Hyori stared at him. "Someone's becoming a lot more rebellious as he enters puberty."

Chen smirked at her. "Kai bai bo!" Chen held out a rock, while Hyori held out a paper. His smirk faded. Damn. Ouch. His pride? Bruised. Chen cleared his throat in embarrassment. Hyori grinned slowly.

"That settles it. And I'm done so .. Let's go now!" She pointed to the two bags, indicating to Chen to carry them. He stuck out his tongue. This noona is such a bully. 

As he picked up the bags, he caught a beautiful box carefully placed at the top of the coffee table. Curious, he picked it up. His face was unreadable when he saw Zico's name on the box.

"Chen ~ Hurry!" Hyori called out from outside. "Coming!" He called back.

It was a split second decision, but he pocketed the box. As he went out, he took the box back out and tossed it into the garbage disposal bin.

*

Hi everyone! :D I had my orientation earlier this week and I'm starting my lessons this coming Monday and I doubt I'll be able to update EVERY weekend but I'll try okay :D And to my dearest chingu, I won't forget you lah! ;D