Chapter 10.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

Hyori gazed at the caramel-coloured bear which was propped up on her bed. (It's the bear on the poster pic hehe) Unknowingly, she smiled. Trust Chen to be able to change her views about plushies! Right now the most beautiful thing in her eyes is the teddy bear in front of her. At one point of time she was even thinking of naming it! Something she would never dream to do. However, she couldn't thing of a perfect name so the teddy bear would be nameless for a while.

On her bedside table, a silver necklace glittered. Hyori felt a surge of guilt the more she looked at it. She remembered her cold treatment towards the person who gave the necklace to her. Then again, he deserved it. Still. Hyori felt even guiltier when she discovered writing underneath the lid of the box which held the necklace. Zico simply wrote 4 words.

Your good luck charm.

Hyori didn't know what to feel. That wasn't Zico-like at all. That guy is unpredictable. She yawned, feeling sleepy. As she pulled the blankets over her, Hyori hugged the super soft teddy bear and almost immediately fell asleep. 

*

"Guys, this will be my last game with you. As the captain, I want to see us hold that trophy proudly above our heads, arasso?!" Hyori gave a morale boost to her teammates before the 2nd leg of the championships, which was also the final to determine who the winners are. "YEAH!" All of them cheered loudly and went over to the court.

Before the game started, Hyori looked over at the stands. Yup, she spotted Chen in his neon jacket that he wore in the previous game. She smiled as she locked eyes with him and he gave her a thumbs up. Hyori was grateful that Chen was willing to come down to the opponent's school for the 2nd leg to cheer her on. Her class was there too, all except Jihoon, who had a soccer tournament on the same day. She couldn't blame him for not coming. 

Another person was also trying to get Hyori's attention but her eyes were only fixed on Chen's. However, he noticed something glimmering on her neck and his mood was lifted. Because she was wearing the necklace he gave her. 

"LET'S GO!" Hyori hollered, smirking at her opponent who foul played with her teammate.

*

"You'll regret finding fault with me," Hyori's enemy hissed as Hyori ran over to defend. "Okay," she shrugged coolly, knowing she must not give in to psychological warfare. This angered the girl, who's called Tiffany, even more. She signalled her closest teammate to catch the ball she's gonna throw, and her teammate caught it perfectly. After that, she whistled and her teammate passed the ball back to her.

Tiffany scanned around, not to find her teammates with an opening, but Hyori. She saw her chance and directed the ball at her before throwing it as hard as she could. Hyori couldn't dodge on time and crashed onto the floor, clutching the right side of her face. She did that on purpose. 

The whistle blew.

"FOUL!" The referee screamed. Hyori's teammates had run over to her aid. Yejin stood up with tears in her eyes and stormed over to Tiffany. 

"THIS IS NETBALL, NOT DODGEBALL! WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING AT, HUH?!" She shouted, raising her fists but was stopped just in time by Coach. 

"You are disqualified! Penalty!" The referee yelled. Meanwhile, Hyori was carried on a stretcher. She sported a black eye.

Meanwhile, at the spectator's stand, Hyori's school was standing and shouting with rage. As soon as the ball hit Hyori, 2 people stood up a split second before the rest of the school. Zico was glowering at Tiffany. That . Meanwhile, Chen's eyes widened and without thinking, he quickly made his way over to Hyori at the competitor's area.

"Noona! Noona!" Chen was screaming among the roaring crowd, pushing people away. "Noona!" He finally reached her and hurried over but was pushed away by the medical team.

"Sorry kid, you can't be here," one of them said in a hard voice. "But-"

"It's alright, I want him to stay," Hyori's weak voice caused Chen's tears that he'd been trying to control spill over. The woman just gave a curt nod before placing an ice pack on Hyori's right eye.

"Yah, I'm not dead yet, don't cry over me," Hyori looked over and chided Chen. He quickly wiped his eyes but he was still sniffing.

"We'll have to take you to a professional doctor to have a check up on your eye. A few centimetres more and your eyes could have been really damaged," the paramedic shuddered.

"I'll be fine," Hyori's voice was still weak but calm. She sat up and made a move to get up but was pushed down by Coach.

"Yah, where do you think you're going? You'll have to rest here, I'll substitute a player for you," she said. Hyori immediately dropped her ice pack.

"W-what?! But I have to be there!" She protested. "Are you out of your mind?! Look at your condition!" Coach started to raise her voice but faltered when she saw Hyori's lower lip trembling.

"I have to be there," she said in a shaky voice. "This is my last game. Let me win." She said in with such fierce determination, even Chen stopped sniffing. Noona. Coach Lee considered her. 

"Alright." She said. "Make sure you defeat the other team."

Hyori looked at Chen.

"Stay here and wait for me. I want you to hold my trophy." Chen nodded.

*

"IS COACH CRAZY?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!" Shiyeon shrieked when she saw Hyori lightly jogging back to the team with her obvious black eye. Their rivals were staring at her in disbelief.

"We delayed a lot of time. Let's end this quickly." That was all Hyori said before she took up her position. Bewildered but impressed, the team didn't waste any more time to ponder and merely settled into their positions. Hyori's black eye was throbbing but she ignored the pain. All she wanted was victory. 

Therefore, in the remaining time, the team chose to do what they did in the first leg; Attack and make sure the other team only gets to defend. Their method worked. Hyori shot in score after score. Tiffany stood on the benches, cursing Hyori mentally. Chen was screaming his heart out, cheering for Hyori everytime she scored. 

Finally, as the last whistle blew, Hyori's team erupted in cheers. They won! All of them lifted Hyori up, who was grinning with pride.

"Hyori manse, manse, manse!" 

As the trophy was passed to her, she raised it high above her head.

"THIS IS FOR THE HATERS TRYING TO BRING US DOWN!" She yelled hoarsely, and her teammates and schoolmates cheered and whistled. Coach Lee was hugging Hyori and telling her how proud she was. Tiffany looked like she had a rain cloud above her head. Her teammates refused to look at her and stalked away. 

After all that excitement, Hyori quickly went over to where Chen was and he was beaming at her. Without warning, he flung his arms around her waist.

"Noona daebak!" He grinned. Hyori hugged him back and brought him over to where her teammates were holding the trophy.

"Chen!" All of them exclaimed. They knew Chen was really close to Hyori and treated him really well too. "Let him hold the trophy," Hyori smiled and they did. He staggered a little due to the trophy's enormous weight and they all laughed. At that point, Chen loved the feeling of holding something so priceless and had a sudden determination to win lots of trophies for himself. 

*

Sorry I haven't been updating this! I was writing another fic ^^ A ChanDara fic! :D & I find this chapter a little rushed  tho .. Anyway I can't wait to write about Hyori and Chen as teens!