Chapter 12.

Three Smiles. (Semi-hiatus)

"They're really good," Luhan muttered as the team viewed their competitors' dance performances. They were dressed in plain black tees, baggy pants and wore snapbacks and high-cut sneakers. Their makeup was, in a way, unique, because only half their faces were done. Kinda like showing everyone they had an alter ego. Chen absent-mindedly twirled his cap in his hands as he observed their moves carefully. "We're better," he said in a low voice. 

One row in front, Zico was yawning. He wasn't used to getting up so early on Saturday to prepare and stuff. He was playing with his fang necklace. No accessories were allowed to maintain a uniform look but heck, when was Zico the type to listen to instructions? "It's my good luck charm," he said irritably when Young Deuk asked him to remove it. "You either take it out, or you tuck it in," he said firmly. Sighing, Zico tucked his necklace in. Oh well. It'll come out again when he's dancing, and he hoped someone will notice it.

"It's our turn next," Luhan whispered, his voice barely audible. Young Deuk called them to huddle together.

"Right, you're on your own now. Get out there with swag, and walk away with swag. Even if I'm not physically there, I'm here," he placed his palm on his heart. Zico rolled his eyes but didn't say anything. Sentimental much? 

"And now for the next team, Victory Or Nothing!" The MC accounced and after a few good luck wishes, everyone put on their determined faces and headed out to form their positions. Chen's eyes swept across the intimidating hall. His eyes found Hyori's, who was sitting near the judges, together with her mom and HIS mom. He immediately felt a lot better. She gave him a thumbs up. She was also wearing his big neon jacket, which fitted her perfectly. Feeling more confident, he managed to even smirk at her. That confidence caught Hyori by surprise. 

The music started playing and everyone's nervousness was gone. It was just like another practice back in the dance studio. Hyori's jaw dropped as she saw their flawless performance. And Chen .. Chen was spectacular. Young Deuk, who was watching from backstage, beamed at his team. He had a strong feeling they would emerge as the top 3. The performance ended with Zico doing a backflip and posed coolly. EVERYONE stood up to give a standing ovation, including the judges. Chen was grinning proudly as he panted. So that's how it felt like to be in the spotlight. They bowed and rushed backstage to meet Young Deuk, who embraced all of them tightly. "Good job guys!" He whispered before ushering them to their designated spots in the audience, which were far from where Hyori was.

*

"We'll have a short break before revealing the results. Please come back in 15 minutes," the MC announced and some people stood up to head to the washroom. Chen also stood up, and made his way over to his mom. 

"You did great, Jongdae," Mrs Yoon beamed and hugged him. "Your dad was really busy, but he promised to make it up to you at dinner later," she smiled, his hair. Chen looked over at Hyori and her mom.

"Thanks for coming," he bowed respectfully. Mrs Park smiled warmly. "You're like my own son, and you're like Hyori's dongsaeng." Chen wasn't too happy with that description, but nevertheless, he smiled. "You wore my jacket," he said to Hyori.

"You forced me to," she reminded and they all laughed. 

Zico was looking over, and he felt a stab of jealousy when he saw Chen with Hyori and their moms. Coincidentally, Hyori was looking around and spotted Zico staring at her. Startled, he quickly changed his expression and smirked at her, not wanting her to know that he was staring at her. Hyori gave a curt nod, and she saw Luhan looking at her too. Her face changed instantly and she smiled warmly at him. Zico was taken aback.

"Yah yah yah, she looked like she was about to kill me but she's smiling like an angel to you?!" He gasped in disbelief at Luhan, who beamed. "Wah, this is madness!" 

However, the MC had already called for everyone to settle down, and Chen joined the team. The MC announced the consolation winners, and then .. finally, it was down to the top 3. And Chen's school wasn't mentioned yet. Everyone was grinning.

"In 3rd place, we have .. the Happy Feet crew!" 

"Those were the students that we observed!" Luhan nudged Chen.

"In 1st place ..." The remaining two schools crossed their fingers, "... VICTORY OR NOTHING!"

All jaws dropped and they laughed in disbelief, cheering and high-fiving each other, jumping like monkeys. All of them ran up to receive their medals and Young Deuk took the trophy in his hands. Hyori cheered for them, and Mrs Yoon was beaming proudly. As they posed for a picture, Hyori noticed something glittering on Zico's neck. With a start, she saw he was wearing a gold fanged necklace, just like the silver necklace he gave her. She unconsciously touched the necklace she was wearing. One immediate thought struck her. These can't be couple necklaces, right? Friendship necklaces, yeah, that's it.

With that assuring thought, Hyori headed outside with her mom and Mrs Yoon to wait for Chen.

*

I really can't wait to write about them growing up, but I gotta take things slow and easy ^^